ITC terminal fire

FartingMonk

1 hour ago, Jshep34 said:

5 shot is spraying foam from 5 different directions. Cigma or whoever didnt want to do it

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Not that CIMA didn't want to do it.  It was they couldn't do it.  Those tanks are 36 feet tall.  Fire was burning at a rate of 6 inches an hour.  By Monday the city of Houston was completely out of foam.  The Williams guys went in there with their good foam. 

45 minutes ago, mycox said:

Yeah she wasn't graceful addressing the situation the first day, but tell me what else she could have done to make this situation better?

Do something two days ago about all The chemicals spilling into the ship channel?  Like I don’t know, some recovery vessels?  If she doesn’t have the power use her bully pulpit. 

Not lie to the general public about the benzine and other chemicals in the air. You know it’s bad when shell has known and prepared for it about for days, but the county says nothing (and they have, I could tell something was wrong by them locking down the plant Monday).  

Edited by Xian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jshep34 said:

Huge learning experience for lots of companies fireteams.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

It was. I was worried about my brother and dad being out there. My dad said he helped out the day of Phillips 66 explosions in 89(90?) and said is was cazy. My brother got there this morning a around 530 and the fire was out already. Cajuns coming in and helping out again! I may just start having to cheer for the Saints lol. 

Do something two days ago about all The chemicals spilling into the ship channel?  Like I don’t know, some recovery vessels?  If she doesn’t have the power use her bully pulpit. 

Not lie to the general public about the benzine and other chemicals in the air. You know it’s bad when shell has known and prepared for it about for days, but the county says nothing (and they have, I could tell something was wrong by them locking down the plant Monday).  

You’re just an asshole racist and sexist.

Hope no one’s sarcasm meter is broken. Sadly, she doesn’t know what she doesn’t know.

46 minutes ago, Xian said:

There were also lies about benzene levels after Harvey. Ed Emmett was in charge then.

Does the county judge have access to numbers the EPA doesn't? The EPA said they flew planes and everything was within safe levels. The Environmental Defense Fund (EDF), a nongovernmental organization deployed 10 air-quality monitors to check for chemicals around Houston. By the way, the city requested the EDF monitors.

Schools were closed. People with respiratory issues, children, and the elderly were told to take precaution since day one. Not much else anyone can do other than sit and wait for lawsuits.

Regarding chemicals spilling into the ship channel. Is that Linda Hidalgo's job, or is it the responsibility of the City of Deer Park, ITC, the EPA, and emergency crews to have procedures and guidelines on how to handle situations like this. I don't know...

I had no issues with Ed Emmett and thought he did a good job, but I doubt things would have been handled much differently unless he knows more about chemical fires than the experts. As Jshep stated, lots of lessons learned here.

• Like 1

You can’t contain that much water/foam/contaminant. 

All those places on the ship channel should have controlled drains, but they would have filled and overflowed pretty quickly. 

Maybe there’s some floating dikes that could be deployed to contain any non miscible liquid that ends up floating in the channel?

huge learning curve for the new county judge, she'll get better

all this hits close to home, I get many recruiting calls from tank companies or companies performing tank services. those companies are going to bank over this disaster 

Edited by tx 3 putt

1 hour ago, RPM said:

To be completely fair, how could you tell if the ship channel was contaminated? 

Because the tanks are just a few feet from the ship channel and they were spraying hundreds of gallons a minute of toxic foam plus whatever chemicals the tanks were spilling out.  They had cut off all power to the area so the dikes pumps weren’t working (even if they were they would have been overwhelmed by the massive volumn of fluid)

plus anyone with eyes could see the foam in the channel from the news helecopter 

39 minutes ago, FartingMonk said:

The foam dispersed allowing the benzene to escape.  The cold weather is causing the benzene to drop close to the ground.  We are running a skeleton crew and have our respirators out.  I'm thinking about going back to nuclear power where it was safe. 

Won't a good bit of that lift once it warms up a little? I'd imagine that it will be bad in the mornings for a while but not too terribly long though there's probably always going to be a lingering aroma.