ITC terminal fire

FartingMonk

57 minutes ago, BrickTop said:

Just talked to a buddy who is on one of the fire boats, said don’t listen to what the news is saying, he said it’s gonna burn the whole tank farm before it goes out,I asked him to send some pics when he had some down time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That much was obvious once it got to a certain size. Too much fuel with such a low vapor pressure. The amount of water or chemical required to successfully fight it would be impossible to deliver. 

That much was obvious once it got to a certain size. Too much fuel with such a low vapor pressure. The amount of water or chemical required to successfully fight it would be impossible to deliver. 

Agreed just passing it on, I’m a career FireFighter myself and haz-mat definitely isn’t my thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Would almost need a MOAB to straight put it out 

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Would almost need a MOAB to straight put it out 

I like that idea, but let’s workshop this. We have Dustin Hoffman make a stand, and fly up in a helicopter, forcing the plane off course. But instead of the bomb drifting harmlessly over the ocean, it drifts harmlessly over college station

Just now, OrangEngr said:

I like that idea, but let’s workshop this. We have Dustin Hoffman make a stand, and fly up in a helicopter, forcing the plane off course. But instead of the bomb drifting harmlessly over the ocean, it drifts harmlessly over college station

Dropped from the right elevation, with the right prevailing winds and a hard right bank.   I can get behind it 

3 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

Anyone need foam? I am selling 265 gallons of A-FFF for $6000. Foam was manufactured in 2015. It is 9K new.

My VFD doesn’t need it. We need the money.

That could make one hell of a party.  

So is toxic plume of death heading towards aggyland? 

23 hours ago, thestud said:

Decisions have to be made as to what we gain by entering IDLH. We take calculated risks based all the time. Is it a strip center under demolition where we are 99.9% positive there is no one inside? Or is it a supposed “vacant” house at 2am in an area known to have squatters/homeless?

You won’t find many firemen unwilling to risk a lot to save a lot (lives, property, family pets etc), although we do have our cowards that are just there for the paycheck. In this exact situation I would have a hard time ordering anyone into harms way. They weren’t going to effect a positive outcome on it anyways, not with that much fuel load; so the risk far outweighs any potential reward IMO.

Yep. The rule is always risk a little to save a little ... risk a lot to save a lot.

1 hour ago, thestud said:

AFFF and AR-AFFF are not protein based foams. No aminals were harmed in their production

That's not what I was taught in firefighting school in the CG. Of course that was 40something years ago... 

Just looked it up and you're right, I had shit confused. FFFP is what I was thinking of. 

Edited by RPM

Haha, one time on the submarine the engine room lower level lined up a lube oil transfer wrong so it went out the electric precips.  Someone saw smoke in lube oil bay and called out a lube oil rupture.  The lower level sump was filled up with so much AFFF afterwards it 3 days to clean

1 hour ago, FartingMonk said:

Haha, one time on the submarine the engine room lower level lined up a lube oil transfer wrong so it went out the electric precips.  Someone saw smoke in lube oil bay and called out a lube oil rupture.  The lower level sump was filled up with so much AFFF afterwards it 3 days to clean

So...you went dry on your sub and she overheated and ruptured?  You're a bad man.....

7 hours ago, RPM said:

That's not what I was taught in firefighting school in the CG. Of course that was 40something years ago... 

Just looked it up and you're right, I had shit confused. FFFP is what I was thinking of. 

Don't feel bad, I was in the Navy 35 years ago and recall being told then that AFFF was made from animal fat/blood.