Buttigieg 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

43 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Then what were you actually referring to? What is "the world"?

this "us against the world" brand that bernie established 4 years ago i'm referring to, is against the 'establishment', against the old way of doing things, about being a true outsider (but from the inside, not the trump "outsider" bullshit) about standing up for the little guy/every vote matters, and about shaking things up with ideas instead of garbage rhetoric and toeing the "party line"(which made hillary a real turnoff to many).  

all of this is what drew many (including me) to bernie 4 years ago.  this line of thinking made him a huge hit, for obvious reasons, with young voters.  now, there are literally groups organizing to stop him, which is some grade a bullshit, especially when i read that they're being funded and run by hillary supporters (when i say supporters, i mean donors, not voters). 

i think it's fine for bernie bros to be outraged and to keep and utilize that anger - anger is necessary right now.  but it could prove to be divisive in 2020, and yeah, that scares me.

He is a young idealist similar to Obama and would likely be an OK president but a failure to implement radical change that is needed. ex-McKinsey background plus inability to admit that the status quo is broken makes him palatable to Rs who realized that a D candidate will win but don't want the US to move too far from the right. 

4 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Which is why it's so odd that Bernie Sanders is running as a Democrat.

What if we don't think those two, or even the power structure they are part of, represent what it means to be "a Democrat"?

This is the war. I hope Pete is our friend in the war. My suspicion and hope are that he is.

4 minutes ago, tucker said:

He is a young idealist similar to Obama and would likely be an OK president but a failure to implement radical change that is needed. ex-McKinsey background plus inability to admit that the status quo is broken makes him palatable to Rs who realized that a D candidate will win but don't want the US to move too far from the right. 

?que?

1 hour ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I can't believe so many people still engage Fozzz.  

I am respectful to you, Chuckie.  Not everyone who disagrees with you and those who share your opinions is a troll or a russian bot.  

27 minutes ago, tucker said:

i think those two articles (i admit, i quickly skimmed) confirm everything you said other than what i bolded.

he'd said on numerous occasions that he thinks trump is a symptom of a broken system.  that if everything was going the way it was supposed to, someone like that never even sniffs the presidency.  

the gop can tell themselves whatever they want, but i've never heard "the status quo is just fine" coming from pete.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Pete should bring Chasten with him to the town hall and just spend the entire hour making out with him, super hard and get all handsy. Make the Fox audience and anchors just sit there and watch. 

mike%20pence-state-of-the-state-pointing

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I hope Pete goes on FOXNews and gets people hootin' and hollerin' for gay sex, a packed-with-liberals Supreme Court, and ending the death penalty.

Let's turn FOX into the progressive outlet and watch CNN go full fascist.

Call it schadenfreude...I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the Bern clips I’ve seen from that Town Hall.  I shouldn’t have knocked them until I saw them.  The look on that shithead  Bret’s face...

What’s happening to me?  Lol

28 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

There’s no way that’s real???

Collapse of the Berlin War? 

LMAO

tweet is real, but as far as i can tell, that's not mayor pete's twitter handle.

but let's be fair, it's not like don jr was going to able to spell buttigieg.  better to play it safe.

tweet is real, but as far as i can tell, that's not mayor pete's twitter handle.
but let's be fair, it's not like don jr was going to able to spell buttigieg.  better to play it safe.
Nope, he's @PeteButtigieg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Call it schadenfreude...I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the Bern clips I’ve seen from that Town Hall.  I shouldn’t have knocked them until I saw them.  The look on that shithead  Bret’s face...

What’s happening to me?  Lol

Shep Smith will be hosting the townhall.  You just know it.  

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We should probably acknowledge Pete gets away with the gay largely because he’s not a flamer.  The Bible folk like Pete because he’s the Ned Flanders kind of gay they’re okay with. 

(I know Ned Flanders isn’t gay but you understand).

I don't see why any Dem would go on fox news. It only enables that channel. All D candidates should collectively refuse.
Death knell for the dems. Like it or not, fox news is the most watched channel in television. I'm in the industry and see ratings numbers so it's not hyperbole.

Trump is president. Not because he's awesome but because the democrats find new and innovative ways (and old and predictable) to fuck themselves. It's 100% the democratic partys fault. Boycotting fox would only accelerate this process.

I think engaging fox (and not demonizing them even though they may deserve it) as much as possible should be their strategy. Kill em with kindness.

Otherwise they'll preach to their own choir.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:
For a guy that is considered "privileged" by his detractors, he sure shows grace and decency when a protestor heckles with shouts of "Sodom and Gomorrah!"

I guess I qualify as a detractor insofar as I am not consuming this media product campaign without cynicism, so fair enough, but he ABSOLUTELY is privileged and he would be the first to acknowledge it. Be serious. He is astonishingly privileged.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

I guess I qualify as a detractor insofar as I am not consuming this media product campaign without cynicism, so fair enough, but he ABSOLUTELY is privileged and he would be the first to acknowledge it. Be serious. He is astonishingly privileged.

He's been considered just another "white male" by certain voting types while ignoring or underestimating what he goes through as an openly gay man. 

7 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

He's been considered just another "white male" by certain voting types while ignoring or underestimating what he goes through as an openly gay man. 

He is just another white male. His experience as a homosexual is interesting and relevant, but entering Pete into the Oppression Olympics is a losing proposition.

49 minutes ago, BearSchlong said:

Death knell for the dems. Like it or not, fox news is the most watched channel in television. I'm in the industry and see ratings numbers so it's not hyperbole.

Trump is president. Not because he's awesome but because the democrats find new and innovative ways (and old and predictable) to fuck themselves. It's 100% the democratic partys fault. Boycotting fox would only accelerate this process.

I think engaging fox (and not demonizing them even though they may deserve it) as much as possible should be their strategy. Kill em with kindness.

Otherwise they'll preach to their own choir.

Fair point but if Ds have a total black out of Fox then voters will be forced to watch other channels to see interviews, etc. Or am I naive?

will those viewers even vote D?

Edited by tucker

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Can you even imagine being a white, upper middle class, gay student at Harvard in the early 2000s? I bet the Winklevoss twins didn’t even invite him to join the Skull and Bones. 

Not like it was Yale...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tucker said:

Fair point but if Ds have a total black out of Fox then voters will be forced to watch other channels to see interviews, etc. Or am I naive?

will those viewers even vote D?

Did you sleep through 2016?   Fox is by far the number 1 rated news channel and there aren't that many organic Trump supporters out there.  Bernie proved you can get good results by going on the channel and getting your message out.   

Edited by SDG

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Oppression Olympics?

Yes, you're fishing for something here and it makes no sense. I have no idea what you mean by "certain voting types" and I don't think you do, either.

It's historical and meaningful that we have a gay man running for president. That's cool. Like Obama's election sent a hopeful and inspiring message to children of color, Pete's candidacy sends an extremely important message of hope and promise to thousands of vulnerable LGBT kids in America. Progress is being made, and the diversity of the Democratic Party is doing wonders for these causes. Pete is good and he's doing good things.

Intersectionality is at play here in terms of considering what these people "go through". In terms of social, physical, and political security, Pete himself as an individual human is in a stronger position as a highly-educated, famous, cloistered, upper-middle-class, politically powerful, cisgendered, hetero-passing white man than literally every single woman or person of color running. The calm, smiling grace of his response as he's being loudly supported by over a thousand people is a testament to that and his privilege is such that anything but magnanimity on his part would be awkward.

Which is excellent. I'm glad he has it. But he would be the first to tell you to put away the fishing pole.