2019 NCAA Tournament: Second Round

Machinator

9 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

I'm talking about in their general history. They dominate the Big 12 year after year for the most part. Then wither away in the big tournament. This year was the first year in how long they didn't win the Big 12 in some form or fashion?

KU has had some bad tournament results in the past, but the reality is that in a single-elimination tournament, almost every program that consistently enters as a top 4 seed will have a clunker here and there. The coaches at that level who almost always play to seed are relatively infrequent.

3 hours ago, Machinator said:

KU has had some bad tournament results in the past, but the reality is that in a single-elimination tournament, almost every program that consistently enters as a top 4 seed will have a clunker here and there. The coaches at that level who almost always play to seed are relatively infrequent.

No, the reality is that Kansas chronically underperforms in the tournament. 15 final four appearances with just 3 titles. 

Of the 5 blue bloods Kansas performs the worst in the tournament when it comes to winning championships. This isn't some recency bias or unfounded analysis, Kansas has never been good at translating high seeded teams to championships or deep tournament runs. 

Even though they got thumped by Florida St. last night I can see why folks are really high on the kid from Murray St and he's definitely a top 3 pick. I can also see why they were a 12 seed, Morant had absolutely no help from his teammates.  

5 hours ago, ztejas said:

No, the reality is that Kansas chronically underperforms in the tournament. 15 final four appearances with just 3 titles. 

Yeah, through sheer chance they should have 3.75 titles!  And this year, a 4 seed losing to a 5!?!

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

What are you talking about? They weren't very good in the B12. 

Which, as we see this year, is really shitty, because the B12 is shitty this year.  Who the fuck ever seriously thought they were the best bb conference?

I'm talking about in their general history. They dominate the Big 12 year after year for the most part. Then wither away in the big tournament. This year was the first year in how long they didn't win the Big 12 in some form or fashion?

I often compare us to UT football honestly.  We have everything we need to be the best team in the history of basketball but we just aren’t there. And it’s 5 titles if you include the helms titles which are basically “unofficial” titles awarded from the pre-tourney era. 

That being said, KU has lost to a higher seeded team 16 times in 48 tournament appearances. 8 of those times the loss came in the elite 8 or higher AND was to a team seeded within 2 seeds of KU. 

By comparison, UK has also been upset 16 times in the tourney. They have 59 appearances and only 6 of their upsets came in or after the final 8. Additionally, only 5 of their upsets were to teams within 2 seeds of them. 

UNC has been upset 20 times in 50 appearances. 11 times in the elite 8 or better. 11 times to teams within 2 seeds.

Duke has been upset 23 times in 43 appearances with only 6 of them coming in or after the elite 8. An astonishing 16 of those upsets were to teams outside of 2 seed positions from them.

ao if you’re saying that KU is an outlier from the other blue bloods with losing in the tournament then the data doesn’t support your conclusion.  The general upset percentages are:

KU: .333

UK: .271

UNC: .400

duke: .535

the “bad upset” percentages (3+ seed discrepancy) are:

KU: .167

UK: .186

UNC: .180

Duke: .372

Your claim holds more weight with a bias to recent years because since 2000 we have been top 2 seeded 13 times but we have been upset 8 times during that stretch.

do better research.

*edit: oddly, these upset percentages fall exactly in line with the all time wins numbers ranking. It’s almost like the blue bloods have played enough games to sort out exactly how they are going to finish out on the average every year. Statistics are amazing with large enough sample sizes. 

Edited by Jhawk

2 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

swear, at the 9:00 mark, just a couple of minutes ago, the camera zeroed in on Barnes and he said "slow down".        What?  You're beating the shit out of the other team, 32-14 and he says slow down? 

Its the Guy Lewis Formula for great failures.

Schofield impresses me to the hilt.  I think he could be an NFL safety, at 6 feet 6 inches and 241, with his quickness and focus.  Remember, one of Landry's most famous DBs didn't even play football in college.  Cornell Green was a giant in the defensive backfield at 6 feet 3 inches, and played only basketball in college. 

9 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

Schofield impresses me to the hilt.  I think he could be an NFL safety, at 6 feet 6 inches and 241, with his quickness and focus.  Remember, one of Landry's most famous DBs didn't even play football in college.  Cornell Green was a giant in the defensive backfield at 6 feet 3 inches, and played only basketball in college. 

Schofield was overweight coming out of HS and was being recruited by/about to commit to U Wisconsin-Green Bay when Barnes got the Tennessee job and arranged a visit. On Rick's first visit with Admiral and his dad Rick said, "Oh, you a big boy? You like to eat steak? Yeah, i bet you like to eat potatoes too, huh? You ain't gone pick up a ball until you lose 30 lbs." Schofield looked at his dad who basically said, "yep, this is the guy we ant to coach you!" 

Bill Self always said that Texas was the toughest team in the conference, and that you always knew you were in for a fight when you played Texas. Todd Wright might be in Pholly now, but Garrett Madenwald is basically a Todd Wright Jr, and once again Rick has one of the most physically imposing teams in CBB. I miss Texas having an S&C program like that, as opposed to the track athletes we seek to be building under Shaka.

11 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

has nothing to do with margin of victory.  It's called stepping on the other team's throat and killing them.  Could have done it.  Didn't want to. 

you're pretty dead set on sticking with this theory that's based on nothing more than you thinking you read Barnes' lips for two seconds with zero context. maybe one of his players was out of control and he needed to slow down. i can guarantee you that Rick wasn't telling them to run the clock out.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

Schofield comes back in and it's immediately a different game. He hits a jumper right away and then goes and guards the dude for Iowa who's been going off and shuts him down twice in a row. And now a Williams dunk. Totally new team now. with their two best players back on the court. 

Edited by Goo Punch

10 hours ago, ztejas said:

Of the 5 blue bloods Kansas performs the worst in the tournament when it comes to winning championships. This isn't some recency bias or unfounded analysis, Kansas has never been good at translating high seeded teams to championships or deep tournament runs. 

I can't possibly imagine there are five people on this board that hate KU more than I do but this is asinine.  You just finish mentioning they have 15 final four appearances and then you claim they have never been good at translating high seeded teams to deep tournament runs.  What in the fuck do you think a Final Four appearance is?  You are one of the last four teams left in the tournament. That is the very definition of a deep tournament run.

• Like 1