2019 NCAA Tournament: Second Round

Machinator

okay, so we learned a few things: 

1. Rick Barnes holds the record for the largest blown lead in NCAA men's tourney history - 25 points.   Do you guys really still crave having that guy back?  

2. After leading 32-14, the highly rated Tennessee defense evaporated. 

3. The interviewed player just said "We tried to slow the game up".  There is no doubt, this game could have/should have been 100 something to whatever. 

4. refs suck. 

maybe Barnes is still a great recruiter, but he showed the country a lot of the negative stuff we saw his last few years.  

19 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

okay, so we learned a few things: 

1. Rick Barnes holds the record for the largest blown lead in NCAA men's tourney history - 25 points.   Do you guys really still crave having that guy back?  

2. After leading 32-14, the highly rated Tennessee defense evaporated. 

3. The interviewed player just said "We tried to slow the game up".  There is no doubt, this game could have/should have been 100 something to whatever. 

4. refs suck. 

maybe Barnes is still a great recruiter, but he showed the country a lot of the negative stuff we saw his last few years.  

I'm sorry dude, but this take you've got, this crusade you're on- it's a hilariously bad take. i believe when you say that you saw Rick say "slow down" to one of his players, but you have completely lost the plot if you think that Rick Barnes decided that the game was in hand and called for Tennessee to start bleeding clock  *with 30 minutes left to play*, which you clearly do. There's a literal 0% chance that that happened. You've got to come off it. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

I’ll be surprised if Washington keeps it close...

Dear Baby Jesus, 

I don’t ever ask for much but if you could just do this one solid favor for me this afternoon, I promise to start going to church on a regular basis.(crosses fingers behind back). 

Underdog. 

• Like 1

and you are completely ignoring the evidence.  Did you see Tenn. standing around - starting  the first part of the 2nd half while Rick was staring at them giving them directions and there was no motion at all in the half court "offense"?  Did you see any attempt at all in the 2nd half for a fast break by Tenn?  There was none.   All you have to do is watch.    Do you really want this guy back? 

Just now, orangecat92 said:

and you are completely ignoring the evidence.  Did you see Tenn. standing around - starting  the first part of the 2nd half while Rick was staring at them giving them directions and there was no motion at all in the half court "offense"?  Did you see any attempt at all in the 2nd half for a fast break by Tenn?  There was none.   All you have to do is watch.    Do you really want this guy back? 

Nobody (except maybe Derka deep down inside) wants him back.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Nobody (except maybe Derka deep down inside) wants him back.

I've come to the conclusion that Myck Kabongo's suspension is essentially what got Rick fired. If the Kabongo fiasco doesn't go down (not to mention Papi getting a pro contract at the exact same time), then there's almost no chance in my mind that the ensuing seasons go the way they did, ipso facto Rick is still here without those two events from that one offseason. That's obviously a bit of a hard pill for me to swallow, but it did happen, and everything that followed it made it clear that his time at Texas had come and gone.

Since then things have gone really really well for Coach Barnes, Coach Lanier, and Coach Wright and their families, and my happiness for them and the success that they've had since then has made it much easier for me to accept. So I would never want to take that success away from them. I don't regret that we canned Rick, and I don't want him back either (although that would kick ass)- I just regret that we went with Shaka. He was just about the worst possible choice for his job. 

5 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I've come to the conclusion that Myck Kabongo's suspension is essentially what got Rick fired. If the Kabongo fiasco doesn't go down (not to mention Papi getting a pro contract at the exact same time), then there's almost no chance in my mind that the ensuing seasons go the way they did, ipso facto Rick is still here without those two events from that one offseason. That's obviously a bit of a hard pill for me to swallow, but it did happen, and everything that followed it made it clear that his time at Texas had come and gone.

Since then things have gone really really well for Coach Barnes, Coach Lanier, and Coach Wright and their families, and my happiness for them and the success that they've had since then has made it much easier for me to accept. So I would never want to take that success away from them. I don't regret that we canned Rick, and I don't want him back either (although that would kick ass)- I just regret that we went with Shaka. He was just about the worst possible choice for his job. 

Barnes getting in bed with Ro Russell is what brought him down.  Cheating is one thing but cheating and losing is absolutely unacceptable to the powers at Texas

52 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Ipso Facto, is he the tall guy for UCF?

Fall vs. Williams is going to be worth the price of admission today. Though something tells me the refs will go Odgen vs. Thabeet and both players will have 2 fouls within 5 minutes of the game.

2 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

I'm sorry dude, but this take you've got, this crusade you're on- it's a hilariously bad take. i believe when you say that you saw Rick say "slow down" to one of his players, but you have completely lost the plot if you think that Rick Barnes decided that the game was in hand and called for Tennessee to start bleeding clock  *with 30 minutes left to play*, which you clearly do. There's a literal 0% chance that that happened. You've got to come off it. 

Yeah I’m sorry, but you’re just wrong. Early in the second half, Tennessee was clearly bleeding the clock.

It was vintage Rick Barnes. 

I like the guy and would love to see him win a championship, but the players are gonna have to do it.

7 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Tacko is less of a stiff than I was expecting.  He could have a role in the NBA, although it’s clear he can’t step away from the rim on defense and probably doesn’t have much stamina based on the early rest.  But he is more mobile and effective on offense than I was expecting.

As I say that he gets stuffed by a 6’9 guy. Oops.

He is better than Thabeet, but I don't see a role for him in today's NBA where centers are asked to switch out onto the perimeter.

45 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Yeah I’m sorry, but you’re just wrong. Early in the second half, Tennessee was clearly bleeding the clock.

It was vintage Rick Barnes. 

I like the guy and would love to see him win a championship, but the players are gonna have to do it.

yeah well i'm sorry, but you don't know what the hell you/we are talking about. The argument is not about Tennessee bleeding clock in the second half, what's his name keeps insisting that they started bleeding the clock *with 9 minutes left in the first half*.

so once again, and i can't believe this argument has come this far, no, Rick Barnes did not start bleeding clock 10 minutes into the first half, which is what it clearly says in my post that you quoted. 

Edited by Goo Punch

1 minute ago, Goo Punch said:

yeah well i'm sorry, but you don't know what the hell you/we are talking about. The argument is not about Tennessee bleeding clock in the second half, what's his name keeps insisting that they started bleeding the clock *with 9 minutes left in the first half*.

so once again, and i can't believe this argument has come this far, no, Rick Barnes did not start bleeding clock 10 minutes into the first half, which is what it clearly says in my post that you quoted. 

No one is arguing with you,  shut the fuck up. Go enjoy your win

• Like 1