2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

15 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Yep
If everyone keeps staying healthy this is the move we’ll likely see first
But at some point you gotta think an IL stint by somebody will force the hand.
Incredible we’re 23% of the way through the season with no one going to IL (no jinx)

youvekilledus.gif

Edited by henrygandorf
because reasons

Has there been any meaningful talk of trying an opener setup with McHugh? (And maybe Peacock,tonight not withstanding)
If McHugh has another bad start do you at least consider shaking it up?
If James starts to find it, throw him or maybe Rondon out there to face the top of a lineup.
Let the softer throwing McHugh come in as a change of pace, starting his night facing the bottom third-ish of a lineup. If he’s on, he has a much better chance giving you 5 innings if he’s coming out for his 5th inning of work facing the bottom third of an order for a 3rd time rather than having to go out and face 1-2-3 for a 3rd time late in the game.

At the end of last season there were only 11 players with a OPS above .900, 2017-23 players, 2016-16 players.  

As of now there are 30 players at that level.  The Astros have 4 of them and the lowest is .941....giving us 4 of the top 18.    

Correa, Springer, Bregman and Brantley are all ballin.  This offense is something special and if Tuve can snap out of it would be even more awesome.  

Right now we are on pace to be a better hitting team that 2017 and we were pretty damn good that season.  

was just searching rumors and one piece, maybe climbing tal's hill, or something, had proposed a framberlamps, derek fisher, garret stubbs for madbum. i would make that yesterday and also give them AJ Reed and 3putt

23 minutes ago, Mez2 said:

openers are a gimmick. this team isn't a gimmick and we have too many quality arms to go that route and too many pieces to not make a strong offer for a quality arm

Go get Bumgarner. Give up Fisher and the 2 Cuban pitchers.

I'm excited for Peacock's next start. I hope this is the start of something new and not just an anomaly. 

“The story of the day for me is the adjustment he made,” manager AJ Hinch said. “His delivery out of the windup has much more rhythm, much more energy. The ball came out better, his execution was better and ultimately his results were better. That’s as good as he’s gotten into a game, and he held it his entire outing. It was an excellent night for him.”

Peacock, who said it was the first time he’d pitch from the windup since 2016, called Wednesday’s start the best of his career.

“What I was doing really wasn’t working too well so I had to make a change,” he said. “I felt really good tonight. I was able to get some rhythm out there and throw my stuff for strikes.”

considering we can basically go to a 3-man for the playoffs, getting a legit sp3 with postseason experience would be scary as shit for everyone else.
Especially when he is on the short list for greatest postseason pitchers ever.

Maybe an exaggeration, but that one year...50+ innings of dominance.

was just searching rumors and one piece, maybe climbing tal's hill, or something, had proposed a framberlamps, derek fisher, garret stubbs for madbum. i would make that yesterday and also give them AJ Reed and 3putt

Facepalm (not at you, at the rumor)

3 or 4 AAAA guys isn’t going to land MadBum

I haven’t checked on years of control for guys like MadBum or Stroman but would be a bit surprised if we got one of them while also keeping Tucker, Alvarez, James, Martin, and Whitley.

But who knows. Maybe it gets done with 1 or 2 of our AAAA guys and a couple of lower level, high ceiling guys like Toro or Abreu.

Thank goodness we hit jackpots with Correa and Springer because Mier and Appel were huge draft busts. And of course, Luhnow bitch-slapped the entire baseball establishment media when he spun secretly injured and outwardly butthurt Brady Aiken into Alex Bregman future HOF potential gold. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

Facepalm (not at you, at the rumor)

3 or 4 AAAA guys isn’t going to land MadBum

I haven’t checked on years of control for guys like MadBum or Stroman but would be a bit surprised if we got one of them while also keeping Tucker, Alvarez, James, Martin, and Whitley.

But who knows. Maybe it gets done with 1 or 2 of our AAAA guys and a couple of lower level, high ceiling guys like Toro or Abreu.

Bumgarner is a FA after this season. He isn't going to get a slew of Top 10 prospects, plus the Giants are in the same situation the Astros were in the last few years of McLane's ownership. Their veterans are over the hill, like Posey, they traded prospects to keep open their window, which was already closed, and now have nothing on the farm. Houston should be able to get Bumgarner for a package of Top 15+ prospects because the Giants have nothing right now.

Oswalt, a similar pitcher to Bumgarner, netted the Astros Happ, Villar, and Gose, which would be equivalent of Famber, Jeremy Pena, and Matijevic.

I'd be willing to give up more to the Giants if they included Watson or Smith.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Bumgarner is a FA after this season. He isn't going to get a slew of Top 10 prospects, plus the Giants are in the same situation the Astros were in the last few years of McLane's ownership. Their veterans are over the hill, like Posey, they traded prospects to keep open their window, which was already closed, and now have nothing on the farm. Houston should be able to get Bumgarner for a package of Top 15+ prospects because the Giants have nothing right now.

Agreed. We could get him without giving up Whitley, Tucker or Alavarez because he's only signed through this year. 

The Giants are a team that could have an interest in someone like Fisher - a guy with tools who has nothing left to prove in the minors and who they could immediately play in the OF to see what he's got. Package him with a pitcher or two out of Martin/Cionel/James/ Bukauskas/Framber, and maybe a younger guy at the lower levels with upside. I imagine that gets you pretty close to a deal.  

At the Hooks game tonight. I really like Bukauskas. This kid has an arm 

also ate a whataburger at whataburger field 

I've been to games with you....you prob saw Bukauskas throw 2 pitches cause you playing on your phone all game lol