2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

12 minutes ago, UTHornFan014 said:

So what are these rumors? First time I'm hearing about him not being liked in the clubhouse

I haven't read anything specific, but I remember having the feeling that when he was called up last year and Jake was sent down, there were some in the clubhouse who were not happy about it. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor

5 hours ago, YChang said:

Time for a player meeting. Time for Hinch to get pissed. Time to do something. 

This is a really crazy idea way out of left field, but maybe with such a boatload of minor league talent we should perhaps make a trade.  I hear there might be a pitcher or two available.  Maybe move before everyone else grab the best available.  Might help with some wins that could be the difference in home field advantage.  Perhaps trade before the final minutes of the deadline, so we don't get screwed over again like Angelos did to us.

Edited by clapclapclap
I actually think Luhnow will move soon enough, I just wanted to vent.

This is a really crazy idea way out of left field, but maybe with such a boatload of minor league talent we should perhaps make a trade.  I hear there might be a pitcher or two available.  Maybe move before everyone else grab the best available.  Might help with some wins that could be the difference in home field advantage.  Perhaps trade before the final minutes of the deadline, so we don't get screwed over again like Angelos did to us.

Was having this conversation with a friend earlier
This stretch has no doubt solidified that we’re going to make a move for a starter (as if there was any doubt before this rough patch).

But I think it’s done exactly what your saying.
Luhnow likes to play the waiting game and see how the market is shaking out. He can’t do that this year. Way too much dry powder in the minors and too much of a need for a SP3 to let the Yankees, Twins, Dodgers, whomever go first.
If you have a guy you want, go get him. Overpay if you have to to get it done earlier than you’d otherwise prefer. Go take what’s yours rather than waiting for sloppy seconds.

I’ve mentioned before how I love, when I open MLB.TV on my Roku and the background rotates to Jacobs Field, there is a shot of Brantley in an Indians uniform on the scoreboard.

I’m going to love seeing him starting the ASG in an Astros uniform at Jacobs Field even more.

ca748cde9651f554890eddc97ab17ea3.jpg

33 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Was having this conversation with a friend earlier
This stretch has no doubt solidified that we’re going to make a move for a starter (as if there was any doubt before this rough patch).

But I think it’s done exactly what your saying.
Luhnow likes to play the waiting game and see how the market is shaking out. He can’t do that this year. Way too much dry powder in the minors and too much of a need for a SP3 to let the Yankees, Twins, Dodgers, whomever go first.
If you have a guy you want, go get him. Overpay if you have to to get it done earlier than you’d otherwise prefer. Go take what’s yours rather than waiting for sloppy seconds.

They need more than 1 starter. More like 2 starters, 1 bullpen piece, and a bat.

9 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

They need more than 1 starter. More like 2 starters, 1 bullpen piece, and a bat.

I'd be good with one good starter and one good bullpen piece. 

Lineup should be good with Correa and Aledmys...it is fucking stupid that both of the SSs got hurt at the exact same time, which has led to all kinds of problems (like OFs playing SS, etc), but if both of them are back the lineup/positional roster is solid. (I'd love an upgrade at 1B, but I'm not holding my breath on that.)

I know some are not into Bumgarner, but he still seems like a guy that would help a lot. Stroman may be a little better at this point, but he'd cost you a lot more because he's controlled through 2021. MB may not be who he was a few years ago, but he's still solid, his K/BB numbers haven't changed, etc (note: I can't say I've watched him, so going by data...). The one thing I see (in the numbers) is that the rate of hard contact he's given up seems to be higher than normal...not sure if that's a league-wide trend (with juiced ball) or not? 

Anyway, agree that they need to add someone. MB seems like he could be had at a relatively low cost. 

This is reason 999 to consider when making a trade for a pitcher but MB is also serviceable with the bat.
After watching that shitshow in Cincy last week (0-6 with 4 Ks from our pitchers [insert “so basically another Tyler White?” joke here])— and anecdotally recalling several failed rallies in the 2017 WS in LA because the 9 spot came up—it can’t hurt.

Why would you ship out reddick ?
Free up the spot for tucker if we are keeping him. No reason for tucker to sit in AAA another year and a half. Either trade him or free the spot for the cheaper option thats the future. Reddick would be the one of the 3 to boot if a choice had to be made

I still can’t shake the feeling that we’re headed for another Astros/Dodgers World Series.
(With the exception of the Yankees being a worthy contender this year).

Dodgers currently 56-27. 55-28 at the some point in 2017.
Astros 50-32 now vs 55-27 then. But we all know the July/Aug swoon that came in 2017 that we hopefully have gotten out of our system in June this year.
Although the 2017 team did have a 12 game stretch from June 6-June 18 when they 4-8.
The 2019 squad is currently on a 3-9 stretch going back to June 15.

3 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

Would Kemp + Bukauskas + James + White get it done for Stroman? Or mix Corbin in there somewhere? I’d do a deal like that in a second. 

I love me some TK but I think we will have to give him up along with pipeline talent at pitcher to get someone like Stroman. 

No idea what it would take to get him. He has two more years after this one, so it would be nice to fit him into the rotation, possibly (probably?) to replace Cole after this year. 

My gut tells me it would take a little more than this, though Bukauskas + James might be a good starting point. The Jays are building around Vlad and the Bichette kid who will be up next year. It would make sense to add guys who are on that same general time table. Don't think Kemp or White would move the needle for them, though Kemp is a nice utility guy. 

Maybe start with Buk + James/Martin + someone else not named Whitley/Tucker/Beer. That would be 2 top-100 prospects and another guy. 

50 minutes ago, Scraps said:
1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

Free up the spot for tucker if we are keeping him. No reason for tucker to sit in AAA another year and a half. Either trade him or free the spot for the cheaper option thats the future. Reddick would be the one of the 3 to boot if a choice had to be made

Yeah something is going to have to give at some point. You can't keep Tucker in AAA for a third year. I mean, you can, but it doesn't make a lot of sense. 

Reddick has one more year after this one - as do Springer, Brantley and Marisnick. So replacing Reddick with Tucker makes sense because you'll at least have some continuity in the OF (assuming Tucker hits). Alvarez may be playable in LF. Maybe Straw can replace Marisnick. Maybe we can extend Springer. 

It'll be interesting to watch. 

8 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

Alvarez learning to play an adequate 1st base would solve a lot of roster problems. Springer, Brantley, Reddick and Tucker could rotate in the outfield with the odd man out hitting DH. Yuli could take over the Diaz role.

They are either sure Beer is the 1st baseman of the future or Alvarez is laughably bad at fielding ground balls.  I don't see any other reasons they have kept running White out at first and didn't spend much effort on having Alvarez play first in the minors.

Edited by kevwun

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Because it's very likely his only good season with the club will be his 1st one. After his hot start, May and June have been much closer to his real value which is a below average regular. I understand that Reddick is an interesting guy that is easy to root for, but his skill on the field is diminishing and if Tucker really is as good as everyone thinks he could be, you have to move on from guys that aren't good anymore.

Edited by HtownHorn

Better yet, how would you ship out Reddick?
Anyone CAN be traded. Its what you got to do to get it done. Thats for Luhnow to figure out.

Put him in a bigger deal? Pay part of the 13mil or whatever we owe him in exchange to free the spot up? Get absolutley nothing back for him but some scrub ass dudes?

There are teams that will take him for 1 yr if the price is right.

3 hours ago, Planet Houston said:

Would Kemp + Bukauskas + James + White get it done for Stroman? Or mix Corbin in there somewhere? I’d do a deal like that in a second. 

I love me some TK but I think we will have to give him up along with pipeline talent at pitcher to get someone like Stroman. 

The Blue Jays are taking any MLB position players in a trade for pitching.

With Biggio(UTL), Tellez(1B/DH), Guerrero(3B/1B), Bichette(SS), Gurriel(OF/LF), Grichuk(OF), Hernandez(OF), Jansen(C), and McKinney(OF/1B) they are pretty set, not too mention their backups Sogard, Galvis, and Drury are better than Kemp and White.