Russell Wilson makes more money than you do (playing football)

smwhorn

1 hour ago, pacman said:

somewhere Richard Sherman is pissed af

RIP Seahawks super bowl chances ever again. Too much salary cap on one player

I'm really surprised that more players don't try the Brady plan, deferring more money (or taking less overall) after promises that the team will spend to flesh out the team around you. Raw salary pales in comparison to advertising/branding opportunities for people that win Super Bowls, esp QBs. Taking a knife to the organizations hamstrings with your own contract isn't helpful.

To be clear, I'm 100pct in favor of "get yours." The owners are getting WEALTHY off of this guy (and all of his teammates). I'm not saying you should take less out of the goodness of your heart. But winning pays more than losing.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

I'm really surprised that more players don't try the Brady plan, deferring more money (or taking less overall) after promises that the team will spend to flesh out the team around you. Raw salary pales in comparison to advertising/branding opportunities for people that win Super Bowls, esp QBs. Taking a knife to the organizations hamstrings with your own contract isn't helpful.

To be clear, I'm 100pct in favor of "get yours." The owners are getting WEALTHY off of this guy (and all of his teammates). I'm not saying you should take less out of the goodness of your heart. But winning pays more than losing.

Even if you took less money it's still a crapshoot that the team is going to correctly build around you.  Then your whole plan is shit if they don't.  Even if they do and they draft well and such it's no guarantee to win a superbowl much less multiple.  The NE model is more about having the best QB of all time coupled with the greatest coach of all time than Brady sacrificing salary.  It's not really something other teams can replicate.

Wilson is at least an elite QB.  I find it funny that the NFL let the QB market get so out of control that Kirk Cousins can cash in and be the albatross for a franchise.

5 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Even if you took less money it's still a crapshoot that the team is going to correctly build around you.  Then your whole plan is shit if they don't.  Even if they do and they draft well and such it's no guarantee to win a superbowl much less multiple.  The NE model is more about having the best QB of all time coupled with the greatest coach of all time than Brady sacrificing salary.  It's not really something other teams can replicate.

Wilson is at least an elite QB.  I find it funny that the NFL let the QB market get so out of control that Kirk Cousins can cash in and be the albatross for a franchise.

Russell Wilson is not elite.

8 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

oh I completely agree. I'd like to see some of this stuff put into a contract, but even that has it's own, very obvious pitfalls.

Just now, Dennis Taylor said:

Are NBA salaries under control? Total scrubs that never take their warmups off can make 8 figures fully guaranteed.    

it’s a pool of money that gets made.  players want a significant percentage because they’re doing all the work.  it’s collectively bargained.  NBA teams have what, 15 guys?  NFL teams are paying 53.  

8 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I heard Drew Brees discuss this about his own salary, as former NFLPA rep:  In effect, it's his responsibility to get as much as possible, not only for himself, but it raises salaries across the league at all positions.

Yeah but it's a salary cap league so isn't everything is zero sum?  Unless there are a bunch of teams that refuse to spend?  My understanding is all the teams are right around the cap so a big contract just takes dollars away from someone else doesn't it?

4 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

Are NBA salaries under control? Total scrubs that never take their warmups off can make 8 figures fully guaranteed.    

I'm not arguing that they are making too much money to play a game.  I'm saying they are out of control because they prevent you from being able to build a championship team.  The NFL has 53 man rosters and has to field 22 different starters.  That's not a problem the NBA has.

3 minutes ago, Chad said:

Meanwhile Tom Brady is slated to make $14 million in 2019.

He's also unique in that his wife is worth 2x what he is.  That's not the typical NFL situation.  It's awesome that he does that for the team, but he's still worth more than the rest of his team combined.

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

if i'm seattle i would've said forget it.  franchise him every year til 2022.  more cap flexibility.  maybe one more year than he otherwise would've been with them.  bad business decision imo.

That's not good business. That's how you lose the face of your franchise and end up with a potentially shitty team for years unless you manage to land another above-average QB.

The salary cap is very specifically serves to enrich owners, in all major leagues. It does achieve the commissioners' state goal of parity, but the owners have never been worth more, and even in small markets team are more profitable than ever before. Players deservedly want their piece of the pie, but the cap requires that it be a zero sum game. Granted, this is one of those 144-character takes and the issue has more nuance than this, but owner wealth is outpacing player wealth. I don't give a shit about "paid too much to play a game." They should be paid what the market is making available, and the players aren't getting their proportionate share, even with contracts like Wilsons.

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

That's not good business. That's how you lose the face of your franchise and end up with a potentially shitty team for years unless you manage to land another above-average QB.

so you lose the face of your franchise in 3 years.  his current deal only goes out to 4 years.  what're they gonna do then?  re-sign a 34 year old face of the franchise for the sake of keeping the face of the franchise?  they've got holes to fill and not a lot of wiggle room in the cap now.  they don't have many draft picks.  they have the rams in their division.  gotta be proactive.

Edited by gsoda3

12 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

He's also unique in that his wife is worth 2x what he is.  That's not the typical NFL situation.  It's awesome that he does that for the team, but he's still worth more than the rest of his team combined.

He started taking less money before he started dating Gisele.  But yeah, he's a unique cat; it's a little unfair to hold other guys to his standard.  Plus, he had already won 3 Super Bowls before it was time to really get paid; he had every reason to put his complete trust in the franchise.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

so you lose the face of your franchise in 3 years.  his current deal only goes out to 4 years.  what're they gonna do then?  re-sign a 34 year old face of the franchise for the sake of keeping the face of the franchise?  they've got holes to fill and not a lot of wiggle room in the cap now.  they don't have many draft picks.  they have the rams in their division.  gotta be proactive.

You're assuming that Wilson would accept consecutive franchise tags.

5 minutes ago, Machinator said:

You're assuming that Wilson would accept consecutive franchise tags.

with an exclusive franchise tag he doesn't have any other options if he doesn't sign it.  he can't negotiate with other teams.  he simply doesn't get paid if he doesn't sign it with 10 weeks.  he would sign though. in year 1 it's the avg of the top 5 at his position.  if they tag him the same again in year 2 (and they can even if he didn't sign it in year 1 and sat out the year), he gets a 20% raise.  if they tag him in year 3 he gets a 44% raise.  

2 hours ago, capnamerca said:

Prob is you do this, then you still have to play Brady.

1 hour ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Yeah but it's a salary cap league so isn't everything is zero sum?  Unless there are a bunch of teams that refuse to spend?  My understanding is all the teams are right around the cap so a big contract just takes dollars away from someone else doesn't it?

The problem is, once you cut an owner a deal to be competitive, they'll use it as leverage against the other 52 as well eventually.  You've got a lot of piece of shit owner's like Snyder or Mike Brown who are happy to draft off the revenue sharing already. Plenty of owners would start hassling their LT or DE about the need to take a smaller deal so they can "improve X next season."

New England is a hyper unique situation.  And to be clear:  The patriots don't exactly run wild in free agency.  They mostly draft and promote with in, while doing a A+ job of maximizing undervalued positions and adapting their offensive approach to basically "be where the other guy ain't"

Edited by Bateshorn

2 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

A little bit of a exaggeration, but you're close--Doug McDermott makes $7.3 mil/year, with 2 more years left.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mcderdo01.html

19 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

The problem is, once you cut an owner a deal to be competitive, they'll use it as leverage against the other 52 as well eventually.  You've got a lot of piece of shit owner's like Snyder or Mike Brown who are happy to draft off the revenue sharing already. Plenty of owners would start hassling their LT or DE about the need to take a smaller deal so they can "improve X next season."

New England is a hyper unique situation.  And to be clear:  The patriots don't exactly run wild in free agency.  They mostly draft and promote with in, while doing a A+ job of maximizing undervalued positions and adapting their offensive approach to basically "be where the other guy ain't"

Assuming they were still going to spend up to the cap and not pocket the discounts it wouldn't necessarily be shitty.  I think the bigger issue is it would hurt negotiations in the CBA.  I think bigger contracts is probably the only leverage the players have to increase the salary cap.

Edited by Gene Parmesan

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I think bigger contracts is probably the only leverage the players have to increase the salary cap.

That's Bree's point.  Basically every player needs to maximize their contract negotiations, from QB to Punter, to increase the cap.

I'm really surprised that more players don't try the Brady plan, deferring more money (or taking less overall) after promises that the team will spend to flesh out the team around you. Raw salary pales in comparison to advertising/branding opportunities for people that win Super Bowls, esp QBs.

From a 2018 Forbes article

The top 10 in 2018 includes several of the NFL’s most marketable players in Rodgers, Drew Brees, Tom Brady and Beckham. But despite the robust endorsement profiles of those players, off-field income only represents 12% of the $434 million in earnings for the top 10 players this year.

5 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

You poor tortured soul.

Give him a break, he's probably drooling over Mike White getting this contract next year.

4 hours ago, futureman said:

do you think dak is elite

No one but stupid people think Dak is Elite, and I'm the president of his fan club on here.

4 hours ago, NaTeWHO said:

No one thinks Dak is elite.

Nope, he's a quality starter in a league full of below average and horrible QB's.

4 hours ago, futureman said:

you poor naive child. 

Nah, man that's you.

4 hours ago, Chad said:

Meanwhile Tom Brady is slated to make $14 million in 2019.

And has complete trust in his Head Coach/GM and system. It's a unique situation that skews the entire narrative.

8 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

The egotistical owner of the damn team thinks he is...

I don't even think Jerry thinks he's elite.  But he's good, at least good enough to pay a good amount to so they're not wondering through the wilderness like most teams without a good QB.

• Like 1

More players aren't the GOAT. Brady will never get cut, but NE will let other played walk or will cut them.

Brad's situation is an extreme anomoly.

Peyton Manning wouldn't have taken a Brady deal ever.
  • Like 1

Yall are forgetting that SEA has a shitty OL and there aren't really any OL to go get. Brady and Rivera would be terrible on this team. SEA could screw around with the position and lose, or play the to keep winning, despite the limitations.

It's the NFL and QB is the most important position on the team... If you have a top 5ish player, you take care of him.

14 minutes ago, Snacks said:

More players aren't the GOAT. Brady will never get cut, but NE will let other played walk or will cut them.

Brad's situation is an extreme anomoly.

Peyton Manning wouldn't have taken a Brady deal ever.

Brady is definitely the outlier. His wife makes more money than him and is worth more than him. He can afford to take that cut for the sake of the team. Doesn't hurt he has arguably the best coach ever as well. People need to quit pointing to NE and how they do things to try and mirror that. No team can. No other team has even close to the Bill/Brady duo.