Baylor Rape Talk Not Going Away

Doc Reeves

UNM would have a great travel partner to the north, just sayin'....

Albequerque actually isn't a bad place to visit for a short trip, but I wouldn't want to live there. It is close to some skying and cool day trips, but not much else and the sheer starkness o the area surrounding it (I'm talking about the most austere, desert looking place I've been too), it can be a little depressing.   

• Fuck You 1

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't think Waco is a good litmus test for college cities. 

Also - it isn't just about the city. UNM isn't a great program or school and in a very meh part of the country. 

If we're going to take on another bottom feeder it needs to come with better perks. 

8 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Hatch green chiles on everything would like to have a word with you.

Del_Friscos_Grille_Hatch_Cheeseburger_DA

And Santa Fe is pretty fucking close.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

For clarification, UNM is not actually in any of these cities. 

Also - we already have one group of land thieves as a blight on the conference. Are we really trying to add land thieves 2.0?

I don't necessarily want UNM in more than I want Baylor out but I'll willingly go to New Mexico -- I don't go to Oklahoma.

Waco is a godforsaken hell on earth

https://abcnews.go.com/US/feds-testing-water-texas-park-man-dies-brain/story?id=58228234

Federal officials are testing the water at a Texas water park after a man who visited the park later died from what appears to be a “brain-eating amoeba,” known as Naegleria Fowleri, health officials told the Associated Press.

Fabrizio Stabile, 29, died on Sept. 21st after apparently becoming sickened by the rare brain infection once he returned from the Texas water park, according to local health officials and his obituary.

The infection typically stems from polluted water entering the body through the nose, causing extensive brain damage, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The deadly amoeba is also found in warm fresh water like lakes and rivers.

While it’s not clear exactly when Stabile visited the BSR Cable Park's Surf Resort in Waco, Texas, the park remains closed until further notice pending investigation.

Waco-McLennan County Public Health District spokesman Kelly Craine told The Associated Press on Monday that a team from the CDC conducted a range of testing at the facility after Stabile's death.

7 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I don't necessarily want UNM in more than I want Baylor out but I'll willingly go to New Mexico -- I don't go to Oklahoma.

This isn't fucking TripAdvisor we're talking about football - which they suck at. Like really suck at. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RabidM said:

This would be a short term add b4 the GOR is up. BYU makes the most sense since there is no penalty to pay for them to leave a conference. Just add them for football. Kick Baylor out and be done with it.

This, but based on how the round of discussions went in 2011, they likely would want assurances that no one's going to bolt for greener pastures should they join buecause of their already in place agreements and contracts, etc.  

• Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, Shmitty said:

Albequerque actually isn't a bad place to visit for a short trip, but I wouldn't want to live there. It is close to some skying and cool day trips, but not much else and the sheer starkness o the area surrounding it (I'm talking about the most austere, desert looking place I've been too), it can be a little depressing.   

I live in Albuquerque; if you like outdoors stuff (hiking/camping/skiing) it is great because of all the space, mountains, really nice climate, proximity to SF/Taos/ etc. I don't see all the open space as "depressing" at all - I love it. But I can see your point in terms of how poor the state is in general. 

All that said, UNM is a mess financially (enrollment way down, etc) and they don't seem like a realistic candidate to get a bump. 

Also, fuck Baylor, I hope that institution rots. 

3 minutes ago, RabidM said:

This would be a short term add b4 the GOR is up. BYU makes the most sense since there is no penalty to pay for them to leave a conference. Just add them for football. Kick Baylor out and be done with it.

/thread

• Like 1

Just now, Hank Chinaski said:

I live in Albuquerque; if you like outdoors stuff (hiking/camping/skiing) it is great because of all the space, mountains, really nice climate, proximity to SF/Taos/ etc. I don't see all the open space as "depressing" at all - I love it. But I can see your point in terms of how poor the state is in general. 

All that said, UNM is a mess financially (enrollment way down, etc) and they don't seem like a realistic candidate to get a bump. 

Also, fuck Baylor, I hope that institution rots. 

I was referring to how that place is surrounded by a desert that makes the area surrounding Vegas look like the Pacific NW.  It is like a brown version of Mars.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Just now, Hank Chinaski said:

You're not wrong about that. Gets greener as you go north. Gets more Mars-esque as you go south. 

more marsesque than ABQ?  I'm familiar with northern New Mexico, spent 2 weeks at Philmont hiking up in those mountains, its more like Colorado up there.  

• Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Shmitty said:

BYU would be the 3rd biggest brand in the conference and help open up the Big 12 more nationally.  

I am sure they are a huge brand with a massive footprint and other corporate buzzwords.

But we have been through this before with them. They are a poor fit in our league.

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

They are a poor fit in our league.

How?  Great academics, and a great athletic program that would open up the Big 12 to more exposure and following both on the west coast and the east coast and boost attendance quite a bit within Texas, and the Big 12 footprint.  

• Fuck You 1

9 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I am sure they are a huge brand with a massive footprint and other corporate buzzwords.

But we have been through this before with them. They are a poor fit in our league.

Plus a natural rivalry with TCU, Texas and OU (who has never beaten us).  

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Shmitty said:

Also getting UNM to replace Baylor would make it more viable to lure UA and ASU away from the Pac 12

I just threw up in my mouth. 

Also this only works if we go back to 12 teams 2 divs. Morgantown to Tucson travel would be a bitch. 

20 minutes ago, Shmitty said:

BYU would be the 3rd biggest brand in the conference and help open up the Big 12 more nationally.  

I like it, minus Baylor- 9 schools...

Get back to 12 for the duration of the GoR's with BYU/ New Mexico (as travel partner)/ add either Rice, or Cincinnati for West Virginia in the east...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I just threw up in my mouth. 

Also this only works if we go back to 12 teams 2 divs. Morgantown to Tucson travel would be a bitch. 

I'd think WVU would fit better in the ACC, if it came to that...

8 XII schools (minus BU/ WVU), add:

Arizona/ Arizona State/ BYU & either Colorado State/ New Mexico, or Rice...

*Back to Baylor bashing now...

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

13 minutes ago, Shmitty said:

How?  Great academics, and a great athletic program that would open up the Big 12 to more exposure and following both on the west coast and the east coast and boost attendance quite a bit within Texas, and the Big 12 footprint.  

We’s be kicking out a creepy, rapey religious school for a creepier but not rapey religious school.  No thanks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

It's interesting that the news and Baylor refer to the language instead of the broader implications of what he used that language to say. From the article:

Attorneys Jon Ker and Don Riddle represent both Klepper and Urdaneta and have confirmed Baylor attorneys are investigating their clients’ allegations.

“The chairman had referred to some portion of the Baylor football team using the “n” word,” said Ker.

“Willis made comment to the effect ‘the reason Baylor has such highly qualified (black) football players is because Baylor has the best blonde haired, blue-eyed…’ and he used a very bad term relating to the young girls at Baylor.”

This is more about the Baylor regent's attitude about sex being used as bait for football players than derogatory language. Naturally the news source buries the lead and doesn't understand the significance of the story.

The article does say that this regent wrote the Finding of Facts that whitewashed the scandal at Baylor and focused blame on Briles alone.

Sorry to derail the faxinating discussion about New Mexico football and geography. 

• Like 2

I'm sure members of the XII have "contingency plans" if the penalties are severe against the Bears, but I wonder what are the networks thoughts..?

Baylor dips into the Fringe of the megalopolis Dallas/ Fort Worth area for viewing numbers right..?

Would it be possible for the XII to function with only 9 schools..? And I bet Rhule may already be looking for a better job, if one opens...

4 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

It's interesting that the news and Baylor refer to the language instead of the broader implications of what he used that language to say. From the article:

This is more about the Baylor regent's attitude about sex being used as bait for football players than derogatory language. Naturally the news source buries the lead and doesn't understand the significance of the story.

The article does say that this regent wrote the Finding of Facts that whitewashed the scandal at Baylor and focused blame on Briles alone.

Sorry to derail the faxinating discussion about New Mexico football and geography. 

Is this regent still in any position of power at Baylor..? Maybe BU simply replaces the guy and says "we cleaned up the problem"...

8 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

West Virginia is good at both sports, has nice fans, and expands reach to the East coast. We are not dropping WVU to collect a bunch of flyover state garbage. 

7 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

I'm sure members of the XII have "contingency plans" if the penalties are severe against the Bears, but I wonder what are the networks thoughts..?

Baylor dips into the Fringe of the megalopolis Dallas/ Fort Worth area for viewing numbers right..?

Would it be possible for the XII to function with only 9 schools..? And I bet Rhule may already be looking for a better job, if one opens...

Possible replacement for Tim Beck?

Just kidding

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

West Virginia is good at both sports, has nice fans, and expands reach to the East coast. We are not dropping WVU to collect a bunch of flyover state garbage. 

I can't argue that WVU has great fans... But if it was up to WVU (not the XII) I wonder if the ACC is a better fit with old foe Pitt 90 miles away, vs the closest XII school nearly 900 miles west in ISU...

1 minute ago, kopp0e said:

I can't argue that WVU has great fans... But if it was up to WVU (not the XII) I wonder if the ACC is a better fit with old foe Pitt 90 miles away, vs the closest XII school nearly 900 miles west in ISU...

Sooner or later they are going to bolt for the ACC, even though their academics are terrible.  

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

23 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

I like it, minus Baylor- 9 schools...

Get back to 12 for the duration of the GoR's with BYU/ New Mexico (as travel partner)/ add either Rice, or Cincinnati for West Virginia in the east...

23 minutes ago, Shmitty said:

Meh, WVU can get over it.  

20 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

I'd think WVU would fit better in the ACC, if it came to that...

8 XII schools (minus BU/ WVU), add:

*Back to Baylor bashing now...

19 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

We’s be kicking out a creepy, rapey religious school for a creepier but not rapey religious school.  No thanks.

15 minutes ago, kopp0e said:

I'm guilty of this further up the thread but seriously get this realignment shit out of this thread.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Shmitty said:

UNM would have a great travel partner to the north, just sayin'....

ENG316 would have been your weed out class.  What is this skying you talk of?  Now skiing is another thing, but skying, is that like skydive dying?

Edited by jdhorn92
grammar
  • Fuck You 1