impeachment inquiry hearings thread

henrygandorf

7 minutes ago, Chrispy_ said:

People made up their minds months ago on this matter, this charade is unnecessary. 

Imagine if they simultaneously held Quid Pro Joe and sonny mcgraftster to the same standard they are trying to hold to their president, then convicting Trump for same would actually be believable. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 8

3 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Imagine if they simultaneously held Quid Pro Joe and sonny mcgraftster to the same standard they are trying to hold to their president, then convicting Trump for same would actually be believable. 

They literally cannot hold Joe Biden to that standard. He doesn't hold any office. Neither does his son.

The FBI and DOJ can do something. I wonder why neither of them are doing a thing.

• Like 4

Just now, Spring Branch Horn said:

Yes   -  But more likely he is wrong then and wrong now 🤘

Stay.  Do not run off.  I need to hear your side's thoughts on this.  

Everything I get is just a quick quip designed to be a mic drop.  I want to hear actual thoughtful consideration how you reach your conclusions.

5 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Well, to be fair, that was a partisan coup d'etat.  

They went after Clinton because he got a blowjob in the Oval office. 

Trump held up military aid to an ally to try to get an investigation into a rival.  If you can't see the difference, then you're too far gone to help. 

they went after clinton because he perjured himself. that's on him. he fell into their trap. the original "perjury trap," if you will. that's his fault.

the main difference is that the impeachment of clinton originated in a land deal republicans hoped was corrupt. in the course of that investigation, the affair was uncovered, and clinton committed perjury to keep it hidden. the origin of the investigation had nothing to do with it.

in this impeachment of trump, the inquiry investigated if trump withheld aid to a foreign enemy contingent to them getting involved in our election and doing him a personal favor. he did, and that's the very reason he is getting impeached. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Quid Pro Joe, ok that’s pretty funny. I hadn’t heard that one. 

• Fuck You 2

28 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Donald Trump is going to be impeached today.

Today is a good day.

I don't necessarily agree.  If Trump is not removed by the senate (he won't be) and he wins re-election (I think odds favor him in an unfair contest), then the Dems are in a worse position than before the midterms.  They will control the House, but it will have been completely neutered of its constitutional power and authority to serve as a check against the conservative power-grab as Trump enters his 2nd term.

That's when the wheels would really come off.  That's when the jokes about more than 2 terms will be more than just trial balloons.  The conservatives will absolutely cement their hold on the presidency, senate and judiciary for the foreseeable future through any means necessary.  They will laugh at the empty political threats emerging from the house, because it will not be a co-equal branch of government.  It will be a meaningless thing the opposition can control so that conservatives can say we still live in a democracy.

Anyway, I'm not saying the Dems are in the wrong to impeach Trump, he's definitely earned it.  I'm saying that they have to get him removed or fucking win in 2020 at all costs, and I'm not confident they will.  This may very well be the hill they die on, and if they do, then impeachment will have been a huge political error and our worst fears of a fascist authoritarian government will be realized.

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

I don't necessarily agree.  If Trump is not removed by the senate (he won't be) and he wins re-election (I think odds favor him in an unfair contest), then the Dems are in a worse position than before the midterms.  They will control the House, but it will have been completely neutered of its constitutional power and authority to serve as a check against the conservative power-grab as Trump enters his 2nd term.

That's when the wheels would really come off.  That's when the jokes about more than 2 terms will be more than just trial balloons.  The conservatives will absolutely cement their hold on the presidency, senate and judiciary for the foreseeable future through any means necessary.  They will laugh at the empty political threats emerging from the house, because it will not be a co-equal branch of government.  It will be a meaningless thing the opposition can control so that conservatives can say we still live in a democracy.

Anyway, I'm not saying the Dems are in the wrong to impeach Trump, he's definitely earned it.  I'm saying that they have to get him removed or fucking win in 2020 at all costs, and I'm not confident they will.  This may very well be the hill they die on, and if they do, then impeachment will have been a huge political error and our worst fears of a fascist authoritarian government will be realized.

I'm not sure how impeaching him is a political error.  Is your contention that impeaching him will cause people to vote for him?

1 minute ago, Goredho said:

Then America is over.

And that's OK.

2 minutes ago, Goredho said:

jesus, if i didn't have a work appointment at 3:00pm, this post would be my signal to head on home and have a fucking drink.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Okay, let's pretend the House never moved to impeach.  How would that have changed any of the above?  

4 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

they went after clinton because he perjured himself. that's on him. he fell into their trap. the original "perjury trap," if you will. that's his fault.

the main difference is that the impeachment of clinton originated in a land deal republicans hoped was corrupt. in the course of that investigation, the affair was uncovered, and clinton committed perjury to keep it hidden. the origin of the investigation had nothing to do with it.

in this impeachment of trump, the inquiry investigated if trump withheld aid to a foreign enemy contingent to them getting involved in our election and doing him a personal favor. he did, and that's the very reason he is getting impeached. 

No, the impeachment was for perjury.  They went after him for the affair.

I agree that he stepped in the trap, which is on him.  He should have owned up to it.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Spring Branch Horn said:

So to be impeached he has to be YOUR President   

39 minutes ago, Spring Branch Horn said:

That works both ways.   History will judge them.   The american people shall decide who the President shall be in 2020

24 minutes ago, Spring Branch Horn said:

I will quote Jerald Nadler   

"....OnThisDay in 1998,

@RepJerryNadler said "this partisan coup d'etat will go down in infamy in the history of this nation."

Just now, Spring Branch Horn said:

So if that is the case - why not include them in the impeachment?

Swam is back?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Campaign finance violations

Extortion

Bribery

Obstruction of justice

Perjury

nah, this doesn't check out.  if any of this were true, then a bunch of his current and former campaign officials and administration would be facing charges or be behind bars.

• Like 5

Do some of you fucking morons honestly believe that the articles of impeachment and the impeachment inquiry process applies to the children of former Vice Presidents?   

although it would limit our number of registered members and as a consequence revenue to the site operators... I would like to move for an elitist proposition and say that stupid people that did not go to good colleges are not allowed to fucking post anymore.  I am tired of pretending like everyone Deserves a voice.  

I confess there are still plenty of stupid people that went to college and plenty of smart people that dropped out of kindergarten.  But I am tired of having the university of Texas associated with absolute and unequivocal fucking morons Who are blinded by their cult. 

if you think the impeachment process should involve Hunter Biden, you should look seriously into the fact that you do not belong on this website or in this planet. 

5 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

No, the impeachment was for perjury.  They went after him for the affair.

I agree that he stepped in the trap, which is on him.  He should have owned up to it.

Initially chosen as Independent Counsel in 1994, and charged with investigating Bill and Hillary Clinton's pre-presidency financial dealings with the Whitewater Land Company,[1] Ken Starr, with the approval of Attorney General Janet Reno, conducted a wide-ranging investigation of alleged abuses including the firing of White House travel agents, the alleged misuse of FBI files, and Clinton's conduct while he was a defendant in a sexual harassment lawsuit filed by a former Arkansas state government employee, Paula Jones. In the course of the investigation, Linda Tripp provided Starr with taped phone conversations in which Monica Lewinsky, a former White House Intern, discussed having oral sex with the president. Clinton gave a sworn deposition in the Jones case on January 17, 1998, during which he denied having a "sexual relationship", "sexual affair" or "sexual relations" with Lewinsky. 

it started with whitewater. that was my point. ken starr latched onto paula jones and monica after linda tripp snitched on her friend.

whoops, edit to add linky: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starr_Report

Edited by hayden_horn

3 minutes ago, Spring Branch Horn said:

I mean the legal charges for those items not the allegations   -   he has not been indicted or charged

Well, isn't this a nice Christmas present.  Read the Mueller Report and Mueller's reasoning for not bringing charges.  (Hint:  DOJ policy)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

it started with whitewater. that was my point. ken starr latched onto paula jones and monica after linda tripp snitched on her friend.

whoops, edit to add linky: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starr_Report

Ah yes, good ole Whitewater and the Clinton body count.  I'd forgotten about that.

On a related note...I was a season pass holder for Whitewater in Garland growing up.  I miss that place.

• Like 1

A federal judge yesterday fined Bill Clinton over $90,000 (£57,000) for denying under oath that he had had sex with Monica Lewinsky, in an unprecedented penalty imposed on an incumbent US president.

The fine was ordered by Judge Susan Webber Wright, three months after she found him guilty of contempt for giving false testimony in a sexual harassment case brought against him by a former Arkansas government employee, Paula Jones.

2 minutes ago, Spring Branch Horn said:

historically it usually required a crime

yes and no.

not all crimes are impeachable, and not all impeachments require a crime.

if trump went out today and demolished a mailbox, that's a federal crime, but not impeachable.  anyone who's quoting "high crimes and misdemeanors" should probably be aware that the criminal statutes and code of law as we know it today wasn't even in place yet.  when they talk about high crimes, they're talking about foreign interference in our elections.  that's the top of the list.

3 minutes ago, Spring Branch Horn said:

historically it usually required a crime

remember that when your opportunity game to argue why the President shouldn't be impeached, you resorted to distracting by posting made-up nonsense. you should ask yourself why that is.  why is it so difficult to post real information about why he shouldn't be impeached.