impeachment inquiry hearings thread

henrygandorf

So, why was Marie Yovanovitch a target for Rudy, Lev, Igor?  Looking at timing:

She was appointed to the position in Aug of 2016.  I'm not really any attacks on her until March 20, 2019.  

On March 5, 2019, she gave a speech to the Ukraine Crisis Media Center, where she referenced several issues for corruption.  One I think is particularly interesting: 

To ensure the integrity of anticorruption institutions, the Special Anticorruption Prosecutor must be replaced. Nobody who has been recorded coaching suspects on how to avoid corruption charges can be trusted to prosecute those very same cases.

The Special Anti-corruption prosecutor is a position under the Prosecutor General - (Lutshenko at the time). They are charged with working with the NABU (National Anti-corruption bureau of Ukraine) which is independent of the Prosecutor General. 

15 days later, John Solomon is wrote an article where Lutshenko claims that Yovanovitch gave him a "do not prosecute" list, a claim he later recanted on.  Less than two months after her speech, she is recalled by Trump. 

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Heavens, he is? That's what I get for skimming. I need to just set it aside for awhile especially since nothing much is going to come of it once it goes to McConnell.

Yep. First Democrat to come out and say he's going to vote yes on one article (abuse of power) and no on the other (obstruction of Congress). 

28 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Mitch is looking to take a vote on dismissal of the articles of impeachment after opening statements.  Won't shock me a bit.  Do it, Mitch, you fucking traitor.

Would he have 51 votes for that? Not sure if Murkowski, Collins and Romney would be on board for that. I'm probably naive in that thought. 

7 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

The turnouts for these are great, I hope the momentum is still there in January. The MAGA rally in Michigan tomorrow may be more lively if Trump goes off script.

I think it’s a matter of time before he loses his temper in front of cameras. Sources to numerous to name say he becomes a bloody maniac.

12 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

they're really pushing hard on this new narrative that "if the house really wanted to be taken seriously, then they should've called all their witnesses in their investigation."

obviously completely overlooking the stonewalling of the witnesses they did call and want to hear from - the republicans seem mad that the dems didn't go to court for that testimony - a process that would've taken months.

seems like most of the strategy coming from the white house (on just about every matter) is "get everything to the courts, where not only do we control a lot of judges, but shit takes fucking forever."

most impeachment matters, i would imagine, are not ultra time-sensitive.  but when election-meddling is the topic, maybe a little urgency wouldn't hurt.

What need have we for witnesses.  This man tweets for himself!

8 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

when you’re looking for some updates on the rallies, but stumble onto breitbart...

9774f70debdc76f95c347f1e746758af.jpg

Wouldn’t shock me if the misspelling is intentional if only to identify the real loons. Similar to how some scam artists intentionally create the stupidest phony call to reel in the real morons. 

9 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

So, these demonstrations; 

I met some friends for a late lunch in Del Mar today.  Driving up the 5, there were hundreds of protestors with "Impeach and remove" banners on several overpasses.

Any of y'all see similar?

I went to the Philly one, probably had 500-700 people. It was in the 30s and rainy all day so that didn't help. But the white, older makeup of the crowd would indicate this was mainly publicized via Twitter. It didn't have the buildup of some other Trump era marches. But it was better than nothing.

It's all well and good, I like Swalwell, but there are thugs and bullies in the White House now. Apparently a substantial unchanging portion of America (albeit a minority) seems to be standing in the hallways of the high school rooting them on while they steal everyones' lunch money and then say, "what are you going to do about it?" Impeachment will happen, but Fox is all in with this Administration. I thought they might tone it down, but that outlook is grim. The FCC interprets intentionally slanting or distorting the news very narrowly, but I wonder if a call in complaint (they have a toll-free number) protest would generate enough traction or if it would just get more clicks for them.

Granted, Lou Dobbs et al are just opining and that is their freedom, but some of the other stuff sure seems to cross the line.