Elizabeth Warren 2020

Hugo Stiglitz

2 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

I think there is an opportunity for some positive progress out of the issuing of the statement. As mentioned up thread, I'd be willing to bet that Warren and her group have already reached out to the Cherokee Nation and this situation may even create a couple of positive initiatives towards Native rights. I'm hopeful for that.

I would love to see Warren come out with a slate of progressive policies specifically designed to improve the lives of Native Americans. A problem there, however, is that the right would say, "OH SO YOU'RE THE INDIAN CHAMPION NOW?" and id.pol-obsessed libs would fret and #DoBetter at Warren for bringing that negative attention from the right. That's the problem with allowing the fascists to dictate the terms of the conversation.

When there's something to apologize for: Apologize.

When there's nothing to apologize for: Don't apologize.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

No, it's still fucking racist.  

As for your whataboutism, calling someone an Uncle Tom is bad as well. Why would you think I'd feel any differently?

No, it's not how is it racist ?  How is calling someone pocahantas racist ? it denotes she's Indian. calling someone an Indian is now racist ?  For fucks sake where do you get your ideas ?  Racial and racist are not the same thing. His comment was sarcastic and racial

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Hey I hear you and don't have an answer. I don't know that much about that issue.  Did he fill out job applications where he checked the  Swedish  box?  What advantage would that give him ?  Is there a Swedish box to check ?

Did he call himself Swedish during his election run ?  Precisely what does calling yourself Swedish do for you ? They're not a protected or oppressed minority.  

I think a lot of peoples families have hidden their Jewish heritage (SEE: Madelaine Albright).

We all know Trump tells lies, again what politician doesn't ?  Her issue is now using test results that still don't really show what she contends, yet she's saying it does.  She knew what checking that box  meant when she did it.

After WW2, Jews did not want to rent from German Americans, so daddy Trump decided that they would be Swedish, because Swedes helped Jews in the Holocaust. 

So it did benefit the Trump family materially to claim that they were Swedes and not Germans, and Donald kept on making that claim up through the publication of The Art of the Deal. 

Edited by MaybeACoordinator

If you are a pragmatic conservative, I think you should probably not try and make too big a deal about any of this and just let it continue on because the best thing that can happen for you is to have Warren on the 2020 card. If you are a pragmatic liberal and see the forest from the trees, you probably want to disqualify Warren from running in 2020 and, while this isn't the issue to disqualify her, maybe it can be a tie-breaker when the time comes.

3 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

If you are a pragmatic conservative, I think you should probably not try and make too big a deal about any of this and just let it continue on because the best thing that can happen for you is to have Warren on the 2020 card. If you are a pragmatic liberal and see the forest from the trees, you probably want to disqualify Warren from running in 2020 and, while this isn't the issue to disqualify her, maybe it can be a tie-breaker when the time comes.

If the GOP thought Warren was their dream opponent they would not be going to such great lengths to assassinate her character. Your concern for the well-being of and electoral prospects for the Democratic Party  is duly noted, though. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

The center-right concern troll is very concerned.

Liberals need to stop allowing the fascists (and their water carriers in the center-right) to tell them what disqualifies liberals. The response from the Left to center-right concern trolls and the fascists should be, "Thank you for your input" and then turning away to actually talk among moral adults.

These people do not operate in good faith and they will always find anything they can. Worry about the things that will disqualify candidates from within their own base. Stop chasing the fascists and the center-right.

• Like 7

Just now, MaybeACoordinator said:

If the GOP thought Warren was their dream opponent they would not be going to such great lengths to assassinate her character. Your concern for the well-being of and electoral prospects for the Democratic Party  is duly noted, though. 

It's been repeated ad nausem, so let's not act like this is my hot take alone.

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

The center-right concern troll is very concerned.

Liberals need to stop allowing the fascists (and their water carriers in the center-right) to tell them what disqualifies liberals. The response from the Left to center-right concern trolls and the fascists should be, "Thank you for your input" and then turning away to actually talk among moral adults.

These people do not operate in good faith and they will always find anything they can. Worry about the things that will disqualify candidates from within their own base. Stop chasing the fascists and the center-right.

tenor.gif?itemid=5833390

Center right trolls can fuck right off.  No one cares what you think because you're not going to vote for whomever the Democrat is in 2020 anyhow.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

After WW2, Jews did not want to rent from German Americans, so daddy Trump decided that they would be Swedish, because Swedes helped Jews in the Holocaust. 

So it did benefit the Trump family materially to claim that they were Swedes and not Germans, and Donald kept on making that claim up through the publication of The Art of the Deal. 

Gotcha. That kinda sucks.

• Like 1

I'm unclear whether some of you don't understand why this resonates, or are arguing that it shouldn't.  Well, you can't liberal logic it away.  Half the country will howl with laughter or snort with anger at the mention of the idea that Warren and Harvard claimed she was Indian.  A report showing she was 1/1024th, or whatever, does not make it go away; it confirms it.  The bitch ain't Indian.

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, MixtyMotions said:

I'm unclear whether some of you don't understand why this resonates, or are arguing that it shouldn't.  Well, you can't liberal logic it away.  Half the country will howl with laughter or snort with anger at the mention of the idea that Warren and Harvard claimed she was Indian.  A report showing she was 1/1024th, or whatever, does not make it go away; it confirms it.  The bitch ain't Indian.

geez.

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

No, it's not how is it racist ?  How is calling someone pocahantas racist ? it denotes she's Indian. calling someone an Indian is now racist ?  For fucks sake where do you get your ideas ?  Racial and racist are not the same thing. His comment was sarcastic and racial

You truly can't be this stupid. Why doesn't he just call her a Native American or Indian? Why personalize it through Pocahontas?

If Bobby Jindal ran against Trump, do you think it would be okay to sarcastically call him Gandhi?

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I would love to see Warren come out with a slate of progressive policies specifically designed to improve the lives of Native Americans. A problem there, however, is that the right would say, "OH SO YOU'RE THE INDIAN CHAMPION NOW?" and id.pol-obsessed libs would fret and #DoBetter at Warren for bringing that negative attention from the right. That's the problem with allowing the fascists to dictate the terms of the conversation.

When there's something to apologize for: Apologize.

When there's nothing to apologize for: Don't apologize.

You and I believe in different approaches to stem this historically recent political push of fascism. We've discussed it before and I'm sure we'll discuss it again. I hope that you, me, and everyone else can see that we all desire a lot of the same things, we just differ on how to get those things done. I know that you are not a fan of compromise, but I believe that we can obtain those commonly desired end results through many approaches, taking a little bit from each point of view. I hope that one day you feel that way, too.

Just now, Hank Kingsley said:

You truly can't be this stupid. Why doesn't he just call her a Native American or Indian? Why personalize it through Pocahontas?

If Bobby Jindal ran against Trump, do you think it would be okay to sarcastically call him Gandhi?

Onboard would probably be cool with calling Stacey Abrams Aunt Jemima.

• Like 1

Just now, Eastwood said:

I know that you are not a fan of compromise, but I believe that we can obtain those commonly desired end results through many approaches, taking a little bit from each point of view. I hope that one day you feel that way, too.

Thanks, mom.

What is there to compromise about here, specifically? What policy issue? What actual, specific thing?

"The right says Warren is really bad for claiming Native American ancestry... the left says she didn't do anything wrong... let's compromise and agree she's half-bad."

Is that it?

(Because that will very soon be, "You want to gas all the immigrants, but the Left doesn't want to gas any... let's compromise and gas half of them.")

4 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Would it be okay?  No.  Would he get away with it? Absolutely.  However, if he faced Jindal, he'd likely go with the "closet Muslim" racist attack strategy instead.

32 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Courageous people from all over the world helped Jews in WW2 so they could have called themselves Japanese .

I don't give a fuck about whether she has native american in her or not.  2 things are clear from this and I saw a liberal tweet one of them:

1.  She's a moron for publishing this information.  Unless you are anything but dawes roll it probably isn't smart to mark it down that you are cherokee or whatever tribe you belong to and to use it as a political or economical tool to advance your career.  You're just asking for criticism and handing your enemies a weapon to use against you.

2.  I saw a liberal pundit tweet that this is the height of white privilege and cultural appropriation.  Once again, if you aren't substantially what you claim you are then why in the fuck are you even publishing this information.  She not only make a laughing stock out of herself with people who would twist anything the way they want it twisted (repubs) but she also opened herself up to the most hardcore SJWs to criticize her.

Whether or not or how much native american she has in her doesn't really matter when you look at it from a political strategy angle.  This was akin to an all time political gaffe that won't go away in 2020 even though the intention here was clearly to get this off the table.  All of our politicians do this kind of shit regularly thinking it will help.  We probably have some of the worst people in our country actually running the damn show on both sides of the aisle.  It is surreal to think about.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

1/64 is the other end of the tested range.  Funny how 1/1024 is all that keeps getting recited as fact against her. 

"OK, I admit it's ridiculous to claim to be an Indian if you're only 1/1024th Indian, but it's totally defensible to claim to be an Indian if you're 1/64th Indian.  And maybe she's 1/64th Indian.  So, don't criticize."

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Thanks, mom.

What is there to compromise about here, specifically? What policy issue? What actual, specific thing?

"The right says Warren is really bad for claiming Native American ancestry... the left says she didn't do anything wrong... let's compromise and agree she's half-bad."

Is that it?

(Because that will very soon be, "You want to gas all the immigrants, but the Left doesn't want to gas any... let's compromise and gas half of them.")

I can't burn any more of my day continuing to say that I don't think Warren is bad at all. I feel like I made my position on the Cherokee Nation statement pretty clear.

I typed out a response and just deleted it halfway through because now we are going down a complete derail of a thread that is about Elizabeth Warren. You and I will have plenty of opportunities to hash out political compromises in the near future.

Just now, MixtyMotions said:

"OK, I admit it's ridiculous to claim to be an Indian if you're only 1/1024th Indian, but it's totally defensible to claim to be an Indian if you're 1/64th Indian.  And maybe she's 1/64th Indian.  So, don't criticize."

More like "Don't lie if you want to be taken seriously in a conversation."  That ship sailed long ago for you, though. 

3 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

More like "Don't lie if you want to be taken seriously in a conversation."  That ship sailed long ago for you, though. 

I mean it is weird that people are pointing to a 1% native american ancestry test as validation to her claim that she's Native American. Would I be validated in self-identifying as an Africa-American with 1% sub-saharan african from an ancestry test as proof (someone had some african ten generations ago or something)?

Edited by Guest

Just now, Jhawk said:

I don't give a fuck about whether she has native american in her or not.  2 things are clear from this and I saw a liberal tweet one of them:

1.  She's a moron for publishing this information.  Unless you are anything but dawes roll it probably isn't smart to mark it down that you are cherokee or whatever tribe you belong to and to use it as a political or economical tool to advance your career.  You're just asking for criticism and handing your enemies a weapon to use against you.

2.  I saw a liberal pundit tweet that this is the height of white privilege and cultural appropriation.  Once again, if you aren't substantially what you claim you are then why in the fuck are you even publishing this information.  She not only make a laughing stock out of herself with people who would twist anything the way they want it twisted (repubs) but she also opened herself up to the most hardcore SJWs to criticize her.

Whether or not or how much native american she has in her doesn't really matter when you look at it from a political strategy angle.  This was akin to an all time political gaffe that won't go away in 2020 even though the intention here was clearly to get this off the table.  All of our politicians do this kind of shit regularly thinking it will help.  We probably have some of the worst people in our country actually running the damn show on both sides of the aisle.  It is surreal to think about.

You and all the other dumb fuck right wing trolls need to go back to elementary school and take a basic reading comprehension class.  She never claimed to be Indian and she never marked herself down as Cherokee or any other tribe.  When she was at Penn she indicated she had Native American ancestry.  Right wing politicians picked up on that, made unsubstantiated claims that she couldn't have NA ancestry because she looks white, and made up claims that she benefited from claiming to be NA.  But the truth is that she indicated that she had been told by family that she has NA, possibly Cherokee ancestry, a DNA test confirmed that she has NA ancestry, and she did not ever get any benefit or apply for any benefit on the basis of her NA ancestry.  She also didn't use her NA ancestry as part of her political career.  She has only responded to racist attacks and straight up lies in an effort to correct the record.  The weapon isn't her accurate claims to NA ancestry, the weapon is the ignorance of the dumb fucks like yourself who can't read a simple sentence and understand what it means.  

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

She never claimed to be Indian and she never marked herself down as Cherokee or any other tribe.

It's a substantiated fact she she had listed herself as a minority in an Association of American Law Schools directory. It's no more than a gaffe or faux pas for a Democrat with respect to cultural appropriation. Can we all move on lol?

3 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

... She never claimed to be Indian and she never marked herself down as Cherokee or any other tribe.  When she was at Penn she ...

There was more than just what she did at Penn.  Harvard claimed she was Indian.  They didn't say she had an ancestor in the woodpile ten generations ago.  She owns that.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I mean it is weird that people are pointing to a 1% native american ancestry test as validation to her claim that she's Native American. Would I be validated in self-identifying as an Africa-American with 1% sub-saharan african from an ancestry test as proof (someone had some african ten generations ago or something)?

She has claimed a Native American great-great-great grandmother based on family-told history.   The test shows a Native ancestor anywhere from that exact generation back a few.   It is support for her family story, and therefore her honest belief in it.   But even had she tested as 0% Native American, she could still have had that honest belief.  This just provides additional evidence to an overwhelming case in her favor.  Including that she applied as a white woman on every school and job form. 

All that this saga has revealed is that she felt a substantial personal connection to Natives based on a small percentage of her ancestry.   And that matters about as much as anyone in those ancestry.com commercials who finds some bond to an ancestor.  Or on this board who takes pride in an ancester who fought at the Alamo.   Which is to say, not at all. 

Edited by Mojo Hand

29 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Onboard would probably be cool with calling Stacey Abrams Aunt Jemima.

That you don't see the difference here, is astounding.

Calling a woman Pocahontas who's claiming to be Indian, who isn't, is not the same thing as calling an actual Indian Ghandi or Cochise or chief, or an actual black person Aunt Jemima.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

It is true that the question of the proportion of colored blood necessary to constitute a colored person, as distinguished from a white person, is one upon which there is a difference of opinion in the different States, some holding that any visible admixture of black blood stamps the person as belonging to the colored race (State v. Chaver, 5 Jones [N.C.] 1, p. 11); others that it depends upon the preponderance of blood (Gray v. State, 4 Ohio 354; Monroe v. Collins, 17 Ohio St. 665); and still others that the predominance of white blood must only be in the proportion of three-fourths. (People v. Dean, 4 Michigan 406; Jones v. Commonwealth, 80 Virginia 538). But these are questions to be determined under the laws of each State, and are not properly put in issue in this case. Under the allegations of his petition, it may undoubtedly become a question of importance whether, under the laws of Louisiana, the petitioner belongs to the white or colored race.

3 minutes ago, FondrenRoad said:

It is true that the question of the proportion of colored blood necessary to constitute a colored person, as distinguished from a white person, is one upon which there is a difference of opinion in the different States, some holding that any visible admixture of black blood stamps the person as belonging to the colored race (State v. Chaver, 5 Jones [N.C.] 1, p. 11); others that it depends upon the preponderance of blood (Gray v. State, 4 Ohio 354; Monroe v. Collins, 17 Ohio St. 665); and still others that the predominance of white blood must only be in the proportion of three-fourths. (People v. Dean, 4 Michigan 406; Jones v. Commonwealth, 80 Virginia 538). But these are questions to be determined under the laws of each State, and are not properly put in issue in this case. Under the allegations of his petition, it may undoubtedly become a question of importance whether, under the laws of Louisiana, the petitioner belongs to the white or colored race.

7 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

You and all the other dumb fuck right wing trolls need to go back to elementary school and take a basic reading comprehension class.  She never claimed to be Indian and she never marked herself down as Cherokee or any other tribe.  When she was at Penn she indicated she had Native American ancestry.  Right wing politicians picked up on that, made unsubstantiated claims that she couldn't have NA ancestry because she looks white, and made up claims that she benefited from claiming to be NA.  But the truth is that she indicated that she had been told by family that she has NA, possibly Cherokee ancestry, a DNA test confirmed that she has NA ancestry, and she did not ever get any benefit or apply for any benefit on the basis of her NA ancestry.  She also didn't use her NA ancestry as part of her political career.  She has only responded to racist attacks and straight up lies in an effort to correct the record.  The weapon isn't her accurate claims to NA ancestry, the weapon is the ignorance of the dumb fucks like yourself who can't read a simple sentence and understand what it means.  

I think you need the reading comp class bub.  She literally asked Penn to list her as a minority and to change her race to "Native American."  Whether this was a factor in her application or not doesn't matter.  She then has used her "heritage" over and over again to relate to people.  That is called "political gain."  

Like I said, I don't really care about what she is or who she is because I think she is deeply flawed for other reasons.  The blunder, and the only thing I am talking about, is she had no reason to release the findings.  She has done well enough defending herself against the attacks from trump and no one really cares at the end of the day what she is.  She just tossed gas on a candle.  Her heritage doesn't fucking matter, about 10 people cared or would change their vote because of her unsubstantiated (at the time) claims of being native american.  Now there is a weapon to use against her both in her party and against her in opposition.

Once again, it has nothing to do with her claims in the past.  It has everything to do with fanning the smallest flame out there.  You just don't do it.  Our politicians constantly light themselves on fire doing it.  She didn't need to do this and she only made things harder for herself.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

I think you need the reading comp class bub.  She literally asked Penn to list her as a minority and to change her race to "Native American."  Whether this was a factor in her application or not doesn't matter.  She then has used her "heritage" over and over again to relate to people.  That is called "political gain."  

Like I said, I don't really care about what she is or who she is because I think she is deeply flawed for other reasons.  The blunder, and the only thing I am talking about, is she had no reason to release the findings.  She has done well enough defending herself against the attacks from trump and no one really cares at the end of the day what she is.  She just tossed gas on a candle.  Her heritage doesn't fucking matter, about 10 people cared or would change their vote because of her unsubstantiated (at the time) claims of being native american.  Now there is a weapon to use against her both in her party and against her in opposition.

Once again, it has nothing to do with her claims in the past.  It has everything to do with fanning the smallest flame out there.  You just don't do it.  Our politicians constantly light themselves on fire doing it.  She didn't need to do this and she only made things harder for herself.

You proved my point without even knowing it.  

30 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Clearly you do give a fuck. It is not an all-time political gaffe. Republican policies hurt Kansas and your brain.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

Clearly you do give a fuck. It is not an all-time political gaffe. Republican policies hurt Kansas and your brain.

"I don't give a fuck" -> lists many things and 3 paragraphs worth of vomit

• Like 1

In defense of Elizabeth, I'd like to say that it isn't the funniest thing to say "Liawatha,  Fauxcahontas, Spouting Bull, Spreading Bull, Sacashita, or She Who Hunts at Whole Foods".  It's funnier to talk about Anthony Weiner sending dick pics, Hank Johnson fearing Guam will tip over, or anything about Chelsea Clinton.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

10 minutes ago, Jack Burton said:

I live in missouri.  You're probably one of those people who thinks the majority of KC is in kansas though. 

I dont know how much this will matter in the long run.  Probably not much.  But she clearly did this now to try and get out in front of it and make it go away.  I think that backfired for her.

It doesn't really matter if everyone now claims it played no role in her hiring/advancement whatever.  Rightly or wrongly, the vast majority of people associate checking a box as trying to get an advantage.  The fact that Harvard then used the info to tout her as a woman of color and sent her hire to the govt for diversity numbers only makes the matter worse for Warren politically.  It doesn't matter, politically, if she even knew about it at the time.  She can not and has not denied she checked the box.  Most people will look at that as a lie to get ahead.

As to her claims, folks kind of forget why she is in this situation.  Here is one of her quotes on the subject:

"As a kid, I never asked my mom for documentation when she talked about our Native American heritage. What kid would? But I knew my father's family didn't like that she was part Cherokee and part Delaware, so my parents had to elope," she said.

This seems like a massive stretch and I do not believe her.  The amount of potential indian blood in her mom (especially in light of Elizabeth's own recent test) would have to be almost imperceptible and I can not see how anyone would even notice.  She obviously does not have any physical attributes that would indicate native american heritage.  The story is that his parents did not want them to marry because she was part indian, but they wed and lived in the same city with his parents for years.  And how would they even know?  Elizabeth states often that her mom never talked about it to anyone.  Being part indian in those days was not positive.  I just do not believe the whole story.  

But the poiltical reality is that based on this specious dna test (everyone just ignores that the test did not actually prove anything- the tester said that "the results strongly support the existence of...." and virtually every person born in ok could make this claim), trump and the rest of them are going to keep bringing it up.  They are going to say she tried to prove it but could not.  Unfortunately for Warren, it is just a bad political look for her.  

And you guys claiming that calling her pocohantas is racist just need to stop.  If a 98% blood native american checked a box claiming he was white and someone called him Opie Taylor would it be racist?  Racist to whom?  The Indian?  White Americans?  Opie?  Barney?  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, sheeeit said:

This seems like a massive stretch and I do not believe her.

Racism? In MY early 20th century American South!?!?!?!?!?

The story is that his parents did not want them to marry because she was part indian, but they wed and lived in the same city with his parents for years.

And? Have you ever been alive in the world?

And how would they even know?

Rumors about family lineage?!? In MY small town!?!?!?

Unfortunately for Warren, it is just a bad political look for her.  

Another concern troll is concerned.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MixtyMotions said:

There was more than just what she did at Penn.  Harvard claimed she was Indian.  They didn't say she had an ancestor in the woodpile ten generations ago.  She owns that.

Actually she was designated as the "first woman of color" with the Harvard Law School.

Can we all at least agree she isn't a person of color?

• Like 1

So to sum this up...

Warren: I was told I have Native American ancestors.

Trump: Bullshit! I want to see a DNA test, Pocahontas!

Warren: (shows DNA test results)

Trump: Bullshit! Not enough percentage, just ask my Indians!

tl/dr? Trumpkins got served.

• Like 5
  • Fuck You 1