Saban story

futureman

23 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Cliff notes?

saban wanted to coach here.  tom hicks mentioned it to mack, said it would be a good time for him retire.  mack blew his top and dug in because he didn’t want saban winning championships with “his players”.  fast forward two years and the program is in shambles, saban wants nothing to do with us, and mack is killing himself in florida.  

• Like 2

tonight at 7 on corby davidson’s twitter he’s releasing an interview he did with tom hicks that covers the saban to texas story.  no new info but still a great listen to hear it from tom.  it will make you hate mack as well. 
I haven't listened yet, will tomorrow. But I question his OU loving ass on anything concerning Texas football.

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I’m not much of a Sagan fan, but if it kept us from wandering in the desert for a decade while bringing some championships I would have been all for it.

I’d love to see what would’ve happened in some other universe if he had come here for the 2014 season. I’d guess something like 

2014:8-4

2015-10-2

2016-12-0, conference champions, in playoffs

then from 2017 to whenever he wants to retire I’d assume we’d win the conference every year and be in the playoffs. I feel like Saban could easily handle Riley in the cotton bowl and then again in the conference title game but fuck it. Whatever. Here we are. 

Im getting an 08 kind of feel from this team. Returning pretty much your entire offense. Our secondary is going to be legendary. We’ve got bodies galore on the d line. Can’t wait to see them unleash Shark, Ossai and Overshown. Kickoff can’t get here fast enough 

3 hours ago, markstanco said:
9 hours ago, futureman said:
tonight at 7 on corby davidson’s twitter he’s releasing an interview he did with tom hicks that covers the saban to texas story.  no new info but still a great listen to hear it from tom.  it will make you hate mack as well. 

I haven't listened yet, will tomorrow. But I question his OU loving ass on anything concerning Texas football.

He shockingly gave it a pretty fair shake, for the most part. Reported it as if he fully believed Hicks’ story. Ended the segment acknowledging that Texas would’ve probably racked up championships had it happened, but also thanked Mack and the “mystery” regent for screwing it up. In summation, fuck ou.

Saban wouldn't have been winning shit with those craptastic o-lines either.

Mack's the person many of us always said he was; but I disagree that Saban would have just automatically won because he's Saban.  Like every Surlist on their bachelor party, he requires overwhelming talent.

36 minutes ago, slorch said:

Mack's the person many of us always said he was; but I disagree that Saban would have just automatically won because he's Saban.  Like every Surlist on their bachelor party, he requires overwhelming talent.

You're crazy if you don't think a hire like Saban going from Bama to Texas wouldn't have created a recruiting rolling ball of butcher knives...including olinemen.   

• Like 3

5 hours ago, slorch said:

if only saban had a proven track record of turning around poorly run programs.

you slorch'd the fuck out of that one. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, slorch said:

if you insert Saban at any point in the Mack downfall, you have to keep in mind that all of the subsequent recruiting classes change, and all of the personnel changes (transfers and washouts) are changed as well

you are basing this off of the poor Mack years, and the Strong years, and Herman's first year, but if you insert Saban at any point on that spectrum, you have to speculate and form some assumptions about what the roster would look like with one of the three best recruiters/talent evaluators/maximizers of the modern era in charge of it

in short, there wouldn't likely have been consistently craptastic o-lines

28 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

if only saban had a proven track record of turning around poorly run programs.

you slorch'd the fuck out of that one. 

I don’t think it’s risky to say that Sabin damn sure Would have had his work cut out for him. 

Even now, with every freaking advantage Known to man;  he doesn’t get it done year in and year out. 

For those that want to hear it without all the Mavs and Rangers stuff, it starts with about 13 minutes left in the podcast (or 44:45 minutes in).   The Mack/Saban Story starts with about 6 minutes left.

If they could have pulled Saban in 2011, he could have had a couple of solid years of recruiting before the butchers bill of Mack's final years came due and avoided the completely talentless squads. Fucking thin skinned tobacco road salesman.

Fuck. Mack. Brown.

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, slorch said:

I don’t think it’s risky to say that Sabin damn sure Would have had his work cut out for him. 

Even now, with every freaking advantage Known to man;  he doesn’t get it done year in and year out. 

your argument against him not succeeding at Texas is that he does not win the national championship every year at Alabama.

your momma dropped you on your head daily.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

your argument against him not succeeding at Texas is that he does not win the national championship every year at Alabama.

your momma dropped you on your head daily.

He needs every advantage possible to succeed.  He has the most talented teams in the country. He SHOULD win every fucking year.

besides the fleet of Brinks trucks, why the fuck would he have come to Texas?

The flipside of this is the notion that Mack talked Texas out of anything.

Edited by slorch

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

He needs every advantage possible to succeed.  He has the most talented teams in the country. He SHOULD win every fucking year.

Sentence #1: he CREATED every advantage he has. Bama was dogshit for 15 years before he re-built it. that he built a dynasty is a knock against him, now? slorch'n

Sentence #2: he has the most talented teams in the country BECAUSE OF HIM. you're using one of his greatest strengths as an argument against him. slorch'n

Sentence #3: retarded. slorch'n

what is wrong with you?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, slorch said:

Texas would have been a FAR easier rebuild than LSU - which went 4-7 and 2-8 with 2 and ZERO conference wins before Saban.

It was also an easier rebuild than Bama.  The Tide has a losing record and only 2 conference wins in Shula's last season.

But feel free to believe what you want.  The facts are very strongly against you.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, slorch said:

The flipside of this is the notion that Mack talked Texas out of anything.

Did you listen to the podcast?  E-G-O!

If Saban won titles at multiple schools then he is the greatest of all time.  May still be when it's all said and done.

9 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

Did you listen to the podcast?  E-G-O!

If Saban won titles at multiple schools then he is the greatest of all time.  May still be when it's all said and done.

....so he’s the greatest of all time? He has won at multiple schools.

Saban is arguably the greatest of all time because he's had to amass basically all of his hardware in an era where you had to prove more of it on the field-- not all of it, but more of it. Saban doesn't get to win conference "co" championships, and he doesn't get to effectively host a winner-takes-all bowl game to end the season (nor does he get to pick the opponent). The national champion is less "selected" today than it was pre-playoff. 

It's never been easy to win national championships, and modern-day Alabama enjoys some systemic advantages that didn't exist under the rules of Bryant's era, but I think it's more impressive to win a national championship today than it was in 1978, for instance.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Sentence #1: he CREATED every advantage he has. Bama was dogshit for 15 years before he re-built it. that he built a dynasty is a knock against him, now? slorch'n

Sentence #2: he has the most talented teams in the country BECAUSE OF HIM. you're using one of his greatest strengths as an argument against him. slorch'n

Sentence #3: retarded. slorch'n

what is wrong with you?

Yep the recruiting is part of it and the talent comes to Bama because of Saban.  Same could be said for Mack when he was at UT.

When has Saban won with the less talented team? It’s been a while.

When has he lost with the most talented team?  That is underachieving, bottom line.

My question was and still is, ‘ Why would Saban ever leave Bama for Texas?’  It’s basically people sating Texas could’ve thrown it over that mountain... and if they didn’t, well, that’s Mack’s fault.

LOLz.

8 minutes ago, slorch said:

Yep the recruiting is part of it and the talent comes to Bama because of Saban.  Same could be said for Mack when he was at UT.

When has Saban won with the less talented team? It’s been a while.

When has he lost with the most talented team?  That is underachieving, bottom line.

My question was and still is, ‘ Why would Saban ever leave Bama for Texas?’  It’s basically people sating Texas could’ve thrown it over that mountain... and if they didn’t, well, that’s Mack’s fault.

LOLz.

giphy.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

Saban is arguably the greatest of all time because he's had to amass basically all of his hardware in an era where you had to prove more of it on the field-- not all of it, but more of it. Saban doesn't get to win conference "co" championships, and he doesn't get to effectively host a winner-takes-all bowl game to end the season (nor does he get to pick the opponent). The national champion is less "selected" today than it was pre-playoff. 

It's never been easy to win national championships, and modern-day Alabama enjoys some systemic advantages that didn't exist under the rules of Bryant's era, but I think it's more impressive to win a national championship today than it was in 1978, for instance.

If you lost a game late in 1978, like Alabama did vs. Auburn in 2017, because the voters didn't work that way and you didn't get a second chance by virtue of the playoff.  You could argue that every Saban Alabama team that won a NC with a loss since the playoffs is bullshit because of it.  He's had one undefeated team.  Every Nebraska NC team was undefeated.

3 minutes ago, mulletpelini said:

If you lost a game late in 1978, like Alabama did vs. Auburn in 2017, because the voters didn't work that way and you didn't get a second chance by virtue of the playoff.  You could argue that every Saban Alabama team that won a NC with a loss since the playoffs is bullshit because of it.  He's had one undefeated team.  Every Nebraska NC team was undefeated.

Nebraska had a MUCH easier road back in those days you goof.  A lot fewer games in total.  Far fewer match ups with top teams and frequently never had to play anybody in the top 4 - much less TWO such teams in a row.

3 hours ago, Dewey said:

Meh, personally, I think Mack was hitting the sauce at the end. Quite doing his job, angry, in denial... I was once there myself.

was?

2 hours ago, slorch said:

tom explains it in the interview. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, futureman said:

saban wanted to coach here.  tom hicks mentioned it to mack, said it would be a good time for him retire.  mack blew his top and dug in because he didn’t want saban winning championships with “his players”.  fast forward two years and the program is in shambles, saban wants nothing to do with us, and mack is killing himself in florida.  

Apparently Mack didn't want to win championships with his players either at that point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1