The Food Industry Problem

Neonmoon

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's funny as shit.  When medicine told us fat was bad, everything was LOW FAT!  Now that protein is good, everything is "HIGH PROTEIN" or 10g!  

My Mom was a "home economics" major in college, which really meant nutrition.  She was rightly pro-protein, anti-carb (starch was the word o the day), fat-indifferent and fresh food all her adult life.  My diet has only recently begun to approach the quality Mom gave us.

Totally this.

late 80's early 90's was "FAT FREE!!!".  OMG, I can eat all the fat free soft serve yogurt I want...

7 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Totally this.

late 80's early 90's was "FAT FREE!!!".  OMG, I can eat all the fat free soft serve yogurt I want...

...and in the interest of taste, more sugar was substituted for the fat, sigh.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Food labels have %age DV for protein, fat, and carbs, broadly.  Sugar should not be hidden as a carb, but reported separately, I believe is his point.

....right, and be tied to some daily recommended allowance % even if it is is partial bullshit...so that when you drink your 32oz of OJ you will see, if you read the label, that you just had 84g of sugar which is 2 days worth of sugar (assuming rda of 42g, which is still pretty damn high-kids should be less than 15g) and not just 104g of carbs or 36% of rda carbs.

3 hours ago, Parliament said:

I think the science is still out on that.

I recently toured Lower Fort Garry in Winnipeg.  "Portage workers," who drug cargo through the wilderness at 6000 calories a day.  And I bet they were not fat.

No, I’m just saying the vast bulk of subsidized sweetener in this country is corn syrup,  not actual sucrose suger.  Domestic suger cane is a highly protected industry with both subsidis and tariffs, so its actually quite expensive relative to the rest of the world.  

Hence “Mexican” Coke. 

Edited by Bateshorn

2 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Totally this.

Snackwells.  fat free devils food sugar bars.

"Why am i not losing any weight?  LOlz.

1 hour ago, Jiggy-Z said:

....right, and be tied to some daily recommended allowance % even if it is is partial bullshit...so that when you drink your 32oz of OJ you will see, if you read the label, that you just had 84g of sugar which is 2 days worth of sugar (assuming rda of 42g, which is still pretty damn high-kids should be less than 15g) and not just 104g of carbs or 36% of rda carbs.

This here. 

8 ounce glass of OJ has 22 grams of sugar. 8 oz glass of Dr. Pepper contains 27 grams of sugar. 

Do you think most parent think they are giving their kids a coke for breakfast? Hell, I bet some kids have 3 glasses or more a day. That's a shit ton of sugar for a kid. 

Guest Lobo

Under some of y’all proposals, my breakfast cereal of choice is gonna fall under your high carb warning bullshit and subject to tax because it has too much fiber.  i gotta pay more because so many dipshit Baptists think soda is a fun vice and beer, which has less sugar per serving, is from the devil.  Fucking children.  

Some of y’all keep eating fuddruckers, Pizza Hut, and raising canes and Chili’s.  Let the adults make their own decisions.  My bowl of colon blow is high In carbs,  it fiber isn’t the same as the comfort starch you cling to when life doesn’t go your way. 

Enjoy your sad slide down the Subway sneeze guard, I’ll be having a cocktail with your dads outside.  

1 hour ago, Lobo said:

Under some of y’all proposals, my breakfast cereal of choice is gonna fall under your high carb warning bullshit and subject to tax because it has too much fiber.  i gotta pay more because so many dipshit Baptists think soda is a fun vice and beer, which has less sugar per serving, is from the devil.  Fucking children.  

Some of y’all keep eating fuddruckers, Pizza Hut, and raising canes and Chili’s.  Let the adults make their own decisions.  My bowl of colon blow is high In carbs,  it fiber isn’t the same as the comfort starch you cling to when life doesn’t go your way. 

Enjoy your sad slide down the Subway sneeze guard, I’ll be having a cocktail with your dads outside.  

what?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Guest Lobo

Fiber is a Carb.  Carbs need labeling because White people wanna help Mexicans realize they're eating bad stuff.  it fucks up my morning bowel movement and I'm Hispanic I need all the help moving poop I can get.  You fucking do-gooders are gonna cost me money and a comfy poop.  So I make my stand!  

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

8 ounce glass of OJ has 22 grams of sugar. 8 oz glass of Dr. Pepper contains 27 grams of sugar. 

If you add a Diablo Sandwich to that Dr. Pepper, how many calories, total?

Does it matter if your metabolism is higher because you're in a goddamn hurry?

Fiber is a Carb.  Carbs need labeling because White people wanna help Mexicans realize they're eating bad stuff.  it fucks up my morning bowel movement and I'm Hispanic I need all the help moving poop I can get.  You fucking do-gooders are gonna cost me money and a comfy poop.  So I make my stand!  
Fiber is a carb, but your body does not process it like other carbs. To get true "sugar" carbs in a food, subtract the fiber from total carbs for the number of net carbs.

Since diabetes, heart disease and many others are linked to insulin resistance caused by the over consumption of sugars and carbs I would support a tax on food items that fall above 50 (just to throw out a number) on the glycemic index or insulin index. Then use those funds to help fund healthcare.

We also need to look at calcium next as overconsumption of it while under consuming magnesium, that helps balance it out, is a huge healthcare problem.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Lets just get a daily allotment of “approved” food from the government/surlylibtard

You read the words on this thread and went to Government Approved Foods? That being said, what do you believe the FDA does?

It's been fairly well-established that added sugar - be it actual sugar, corn syrup, or any of the dozens of other forms it takes, is nutritionally basically the same thing. And it does a lot of harm at the levels millions of Americans consume it at. 

What the science says, across the studies of different diets and lifestyles, is pretty simple. Avoid the processed, empty-calorie junk. Carbs aren't bad, but processed, refined carbs that are, metabolically speaking, injections of sugar into your veins, are. Avoid sugary drinks and alcohol. Eat plenty of whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Get your fats from nuts, good oils, etc. Fish/meat/eggs/dairy in moderation, and the leaner the better. Red meat is an occasional treat. Really, at the end of the day it isn't rocket science. Eat real food.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Lets just get a daily allotment of “approved” food from the government/surlylibtard

Could you try to be more of a whiny, disingenuous hack while adding less to discussion?

Yes, and every consumer does that math at the point of sale.  My bad.  

Foods in the euro zone have net carbs listed on the nutritional information. It would be a good thing to add to the required information on our foods

3 minutes ago, Continental Op said:

Bragging about eating high fiber cereal is one of the weirder entries in the Cruiser Hall of Self Aggrandizement.

He did hit the familiar notes on Fuddruckers, Raising Cane’s, etc. Was disappointed there was no mention of some random university official he was eating cereal with, however.

16 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

You read the words on this thread and went to Government Approved Foods? That being said, what do you believe the FDA does?

The FDA tries to keep food(except beef, chicken and pork) safe with rules and regulations.  Historically drugs were the majority of the FDA’s focus.

The USDA provides nutritional recommendations, runs SNAP and inspects beef, chicken and pork products.

Guest Lobo
1 minute ago, formermav43 said:

He did hit the familiar notes on Fuddruckers, Raising Cane’s, etc. Was disappointed there was no mention of some random university official he was eating cereal with, however.

I love it when you guys are two steps ahead of me.  I would have kept my identity secret if it weren't for you damn kids.  Also, I had cereal with your mother.  She's random, and officially a universal whore. 

Really though, carbs and fiber are gonna get all muddied up together.  It's a damn shame.  

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Could you try to be more of a whiny, disingenuous hack while adding less to discussion?

Here is a hint.  Food companies make what sells.  There isn’t some Pentavirate of food processing companies that meet biannually at The Meadows to figure out how to fatten Americans.  There are more fresh quality food options avaliable year round than at any time in history.  How about some personal responsibility?

Just now, Continental Op said:

Those poor people on SNAP just need to stop being poor and buy more money so they can eat wild salmon from Whole Foods instead of going to Walmart and buying shittons of dirt cheap corn syrup-injected shit that gets made thanks to corn subsidies! 

Yup, absolutely no produce or meat department at any Walmart.

Produce and meat don't deliver the dopamine hit all that sugar fueled stuff does.  Fuck, go look at what the people on the fat camp that is the Hey, Steel Shank thread on the food board choose to put in their bodies on a routine basis.  Those are educated people.  The Cletuses and Lurlenes riding around on rascals at the Little Rock Walmart are going to get their fix the cheapest way possible.  I'm not saying we have to ban Oreos or whatever but we should stop subsidizing shit like corn that is used to make poison.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Here is a hint.  Food companies make what sells.  There isn’t some Pentavirate of food processing companies that meet biannually at The Meadows to figure out how to fatten Americans.  There are more fresh quality food options avaliable year round than at any time in history.  How about some personal responsibility?

Thanks for at least attempting to include something related to the actual topic at hand instead of only an exaggerated caricature of the "other side" despite that portrayal having little or no basis in reality. Of course, the aggy-esque obsession you seem to display for anything and everything you consider "liberal" still dominates, but credit where it's due.

Here is a hint. This isn't a liberal vs conservative issue. No one wants to decide what you eat. I actually agree with your point on personal responsibility. I just don't think consumers are currently well-positioned, let alone incentivized to make those decisions. I think it is also important to recognize that:

1.) No, there is no big-ag conspiracy to make America fat but the revolving door of industry lobbyists to government positions and back again i sas prominent in the food industry as anywhere.

2.) Prices of shitty processed food are artificially low because of the subsidies we put in place to support them. Said industry lobby fights to keep them in place because, yes, they do know what sells. And they know that their existing businesses lines would fare considerably worse in an actual open market as opposed to the existing "market" that is heavily slanted in their favor.

3.) Let's not pretend that access to fresh food is universal or that education in our society is adequate across socioeconomic or geographic boundaries. In fact, it is rural communities in the heart of farmland that often embody this problem as much as anywhere. A large portion of the population has to work a lot harder to make the right choice in terms of health Why are we doing that to ourselves?

As it stands, it is a lot easier for consumers to make bad decisions. We already have a system that nudges people towards a certain approach. I'd just rather nudge them toward the good one. And I'd like to stop handing out so much goddamn corporate welfare to big ag when it could be spent in much better ways, or not spent at all.

• Like 5

I fully agree the sugar/corn syrup segment of food processing is a fucking atrocious example of government subsidy/interference and that should be reduced or eliminated.  

However that issue is part and parcel to my concern with the above solutions.  Regulations/tax incentives/social engineering are definitely a big part of why we are where we are.  

The government definitely should regulate food safety and labeling.  I don’t agree that one more tweak or addition to the already robust nutritional information will make piss all of a difference.  Tax code engineering is just another layer of crap on an already fucked tax structure.

1 hour ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Fuck. Slorch'd. 

Also, just read that humanity eats about 60 billion chickens per year. Billion. 

Why does what I said bother you?

Is it unusual to not trust the government to prescribe what I should eat and view that prescription as an affront to liberty?

I should just absolutely trust the motherfuckers, right?  Read a cop thread lately?  It goes way the fuck deeper than cops.

49 minutes ago, slorch said:

Why does what I said bother you?

Is it unusual to not trust the government to prescribe what I should eat and view that prescription as an affront to liberty?

I should just absolutely trust the motherfuckers, right?  Read a cop thread lately?  It goes way the fuck deeper than cops.

It doesn't bother me. But you slorch'd the thread with your usual slorchy stupidity since a) you quoted something that nobody said  b) you built a strawman argument that nobody is making.  You're tilting at imaginary windmills.  Is anybody advocating that the government prescribe what you eat? No. So who, exactly, are you addressing with your inane statement?

As I said ... slorch'd

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

It doesn't bother me. But you slorch'd the thread with your usual slorchy stupidity since a) you quoted something that nobody said  b) you built a strawman argument that nobody is making.  You're tilting at imaginary windmills.  Is anybody advocating that the government prescribe what you eat? No. So who, exactly, are you addressing with your inane statement?

As I said ... slorch'd

Bullshit.

Thread is rife with "governmental solutions."

Keep telling me all is well, though...