Fire Shaka Smart

smokebomb

3 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

As a slightly-more-than-casual fan (meaning I watch about 70% of our BB games), I’m going to completely disagree with this statement. Radford “sounds like” one of the many random/unknown/obscure teams that most would assume they might see when filling out their bracket. If you go ask 20 people if they’re good this season, 19 of them won’t know.

Sounds like you agree with him, then.

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

Yeah I can agree with that. I hope we go to the tournament. March Madness is my favorite part of the sports year and it sucks to not have your team in it. 

maybe it's just me, but i feel it sucks just as hard to have a very frustrating, low ceiling, never-gonna-happen team get in just to say we got in. if we make it in it'll be as a 10 or 11 seed, and realistically we'd be a legit underdog to win even one game barring a great matchup. This team has been absolutely brutal to watch for almost three full seasons now. Even when we win, like tonight, it's just a beating to watch, to the point where even the announcers are berating us live on air. I used to feel the way you do, but the last time Texas was *this* bad for this long I wasn't old enough to form any last memories. i cant be excited about Texas basketball until we move on. 

Disagree. It is always better to make the tourney. Upsets happen and there is always hope until you lose. It makes the opening week so much more fun. This team could easily win a 10 vs 6 or 11 vs 5 matchup. We already have wins vs the #8, #9, and #10 rated teams (Massey ratings).

But you are right, it is not fun basketball to watch. I love Texas basketball and can hardly drag myself to a game.

don't get me wrong, if we win a game i'll be happy and enjoy it, but i'll still have us losing to whoever we play round one in my bracket. i won't have that "anything can happen" feeling because i know that we have such a low ceiling and will have to rely on uncharacteristically good shooting and rebounding to advance at all. it's just a bummer. 

11 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

If Texas fires Shaka the key is having a replacement ready to hire. 

Will Baker, Kai Jones, and Donovan Williams is a lot of talent and would give the next coach a great jump start. Keeping those recruits would be big. 

The key is finding money for his buyout.  Maybe Surly should start a GoFundMe?  

10 hours ago, HookEm said:

Disagree. It is always better to make the tourney. Upsets happen and there is always hope until you lose. It makes the opening week so much more fun. This team could easily win a 10 vs 6 or 11 vs 5 matchup. We already have wins vs the #8, #9, and #10 rated teams (Massey ratings).

But you are right, it is not fun basketball to watch. I love Texas basketball and can hardly drag myself to a game.

This.

#1 - it fucking sucks not seeing Texas on the official bracket.  Straight up sucks.

#2 - knowing we will probably lose our first game just makes rooting for chaos that much more fun, because we have no dog in the fight anymore.

I remember on TOS there was a "would you rather: make the NCAAT and lose the first game or win the NIT?" and I stand by I'd rather be in the tournament than not.  Every time.

8 minutes ago, gecko said:

This team will have 13/14 loses minimum....not sure that gets us any tourney time

Its going to be hard to make up for 4 bad losses.  Providence, Radford and VCU at home.  OSU on the road.  you can't shit the bed at home against middling teams

56 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

Its going to be hard to make up for 4 bad losses.  Providence, Radford and VCU at home.  OSU on the road.  you can't shit the bed at home against middling teams

Currently  12-9  and 4-4 Conf

Maybe Horns 9-9 Conf + Win 1gm in B12 Tourney qualifies for March Madness??

Need 5 more Conf wins..... Which games?

DATE OPPONENT TIME TV TICKETS
Sat, 2/2
@ISU20 ISU
1:00 PM

Wed, 2/6
vsBAYBAY
7:00 PM

Sat, 2/9
@WVUWVU
Tue, 2/12
vsKSUKSU
8:00 PM    
Sat, 2/16
vsOKSTOKST
12:00 PM    
Sat, 2/23
@OKLAOKLA
11:00 AM    
Wed, 2/27
@BAYBAY
Sat, 3/2
vsISU20 ISU
Mon, 3/4
@TTU16 TTU
Sat, 3/9
vsTCUTCU
Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

This.

#1 - it fucking sucks not seeing Texas on the official bracket.  Straight up sucks.

#2 - knowing we will probably lose our first game just makes rooting for chaos that much more fun, because we have no dog in the fight anymore.

I remember on TOS there was a "would you rather: make the NCAAT and lose the first game or win the NIT?" and I stand by I'd rather be in the tournament than not.  Every time.

I still stand by my super unpopular answer that I had at the time: It depends on our team. I agree that the overwhelming majority of the time it is better to go to the tournament. There are 353 D-1 teams and only one team per year gives a shit about the NIT. There is no debating this. But I believe there are instances where it would be better for your team and program to go to the NIT, and I'll give an example and make an analogy.

Example: The 2012-13 Texas team that went to the CBI. Let's say that instead of a suspension that Kabongo had missed three months with an injury and returned to the team in late February, and Texas is a bubble team that will be an 11 or 12 seed with no real shot at winning save a miracle opening game. The entire team are 19-20 year olds who've had a tough season but who will all return the following season. I contend that this team getting a 1 or 2 seed in the NIT, getting extra home games in a postseason tournament, and getting to play for and win a title at MSG >>>>> going one and done in the NCAA tourney. In one scenario you end the season on a huge upswing with a lot of momentum and optimism for the following season, in the other scenario you had a super letdown of a season with a gloomy ending. See: the real life example of Baylor, who played their best ball of 2009 in the NIT on their way to the final, followed by a 28-8, Elite 8 season the next year. 

Analogy: It's like the 2001 Texas football team that lost to Colorado. OF COURSE i wanted to beat CU and play in the title game, but now,  being able to look back? Major leading an epic comeback in his final game as a Longhorn >>>>>> getting curbstopmped (again) by Miami in the MNC. Not even close. You'd be insane to want to change history. 

Everybody hated this opinion on Shaggy, and i'm sure everyone will hate it here, but I say you're putting your own short term interests in front of what's best for both the team and your own long term rooting interest. If we were a program that was elated to simply make the tourney then sure, let's make it no matter what. But I maintain that in the right scenario (super young team, everyone returning, chance to make a run in NIT, no chance to make noise in tourney), then it could potentially be better to go to the NIT.

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

I still stand by my super unpopular answer that I had at the time: It depends on our team. I agree that the overwhelming majority of the time it is better to go to the tournament. There are 353 D-1 teams and only one team per year gives a shit about the NIT. There is no debating this. But I believe there are instances where it would be better for your team and program to go to the NIT, and I'll give an example and make an analogy.

Example: The 2012-13 Texas team that went to the CBI. Let's say that instead of a suspension that Kabongo had missed three months with an injury and returned to the team in late February, and Texas is a bubble team that will be an 11 or 12 seed with no real shot at winning save a miracle opening game. The entire team are 19-20 year olds who've had a tough season but who will all return the following season. I contend that this team getting a 1 or 2 seed in the NIT, getting extra home games in a postseason tournament, and getting to play for and win a title at MSG >>>>> going one and done in the NCAA tourney. In one scenario you end the season on a huge upswing with a lot of momentum and optimism for the following season, in the other scenario you had a super letdown of a season with a gloomy ending. See: the real life example of Baylor, who played their best ball of 2009 in the NIT on their way to the final, followed by a 28-8, Elite 8 season the next year. 

Analogy: It's like the 2001 Texas football team that lost to Colorado. OF COURSE i wanted to beat CU and play in the title game, but now,  being able to look back? Major leading an epic comeback in his final game as a Longhorn >>>>>> getting curbstopmped (again) by Miami in the MNC. Not even close. You'd be insane to want to change history. 

Everybody hated this opinion on Shaggy, and i'm sure everyone will hate it here, but I say you're putting your own short term interests in front of what's best for both the team and your own long term rooting interest. If we were a program that was elated to simply make the tourney then sure, let's make it no matter what. But I maintain that in the right scenario (super young team, everyone returning, chance to make a run in NIT, no chance to make noise in tourney), then it could potentially be better to go to the NIT.

I don't think it's super unpopular. It's just bad voodoo to more or less admit that you're rooting against the team. It's like playing the dark side in craps. Hell, it's like tanking in the NBA.

I understand that it's probably better in the long run if we miss the tournament and Shaka gets canned this year, but it's a sentiment I'd rather keep to myself.

Also, having CDC in charge makes me more confident that things will remedy themselves at some point, if not on the timeline we'd like.

Edited by Machinator

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

You had my attention until this. What the fuck dude. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I don't think it's super unpopular. It's just bad voodoo to more or less admit that you're rooting against the team. It's like playing the dark side in craps. Hell, it's like tanking in the NBA.

I understand that it's probably better in the long run if we miss the tournament and Shaka gets canned this year, but it's a sentiment I'd rather keep to myself.

Also, having CDC in charge makes me more confident that things will remedy themselves at some point, if not on the timeline we'd like.

i agree with you, which is why i would never want this team to go to the NIT over the NCAA Tourney. I damn sure want Texas in March Madness this year, and almost any other year as well. I'm just saying that for me it isn't a black and white question, even if it's a 2% of the time type of thing.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

Yeah, that was a strange analogy.

I feel that the fairly obvious example to use is losing to KU in football in 2016.

what's strange about it? MNC game = NCAA tourney, Holiday Bowl = NIT. If you ask me in a vacuum "would you rather play in the MNC game or the Holiday Bowl?", then that's not really a tough decision. But in that one specific scenario I'm glad that things played out the way they did. We got a storybook ending to Texas legend's career as opposed to another embarrassing blowout loss vs Miami. Where's the confusion?

16 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Currently  12-9  and 4-4 Conf

Maybe Horns 9-9 Conf + Win 1gm in B12 Tourney qualifies for March Madness??

Need 5 more Conf wins..... Which games?

DATE OPPONENT TIME TV TICKETS
Sat, 2/2
@ISU20 ISU

Wed, 2/6
vsBAYBAY

Sat, 2/9
@WVUWVU
Tue, 2/12
vsKSUKSU
Sat, 2/16
vsOKSTOKST
12:00 PM    
Sat, 2/23
@OKLAOKLA
Wed, 2/27
@BAYBAY
Sat, 3/2
vsISU20 ISU
Mon, 3/4
@TTU16 TTU
Sat, 3/9
vsTCUTCU

home - baylor, OSU, TCU  then 2 of @Bay, ISU, KSU.  In theory, its possible but I'm still saying no way because our shooting is 1 game on 3 games off.  not sure how well regarded the Big 12 is this year but 9-9 should get you in the tournament with our schedule.

4 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

what's strange about it? MNC game = NCAA tourney, Holiday Bowl = NIT. If you ask me in a vacuum "would you rather play in the MNC game or the Holiday Bowl?", then that's not really a tough decision. But in that one specific scenario I'm glad that things played out the way they did. We got a storybook ending to Texas legend's career as opposed to another embarrassing blowout loss vs Miami. Where's the confusion?

You would rather win the Holiday Bowl than play for a national championship (also you realize that was for a conference title, right?)? Are you even reading what you are typing right now? The OU fans on this board are probably pissing their pants laughing at this take. 

And since when is Major a "Texas legend"? C'mon man. 

Edited by ztejas

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You would rather win the Holiday Bowl than play for a national championship (also you realize that was for a conference title, right?)? Are you even reading what you are typing right now? The OU fans on this board are probably pissing their pants laughing at this take. 

And since when is Major a "Texas legend"? C'mon man. 

You're putting words in my mouth. I said that I'm glad that that specific team (which would have been crushed by Miami) ended its season the way it did. It's not some broad hypothetical, it's a specific answer. You're acting like I said that I'm glad 2008 Texas didn't get to play Florida. 

Also, you must have been born in the 90's if you don't think that Major is legend around here. He's not the greatest QB we've ever had but he was cult figure and a hero to many of our fans at a time when the fan base was starkly divided. He's not Bobby Layne or Vince Young, but he's a big fuckin deal, and he would be much less of a big deal had he ended his career on the bench in a 40 point loss to Miami. 

Edited by Goo Punch

5 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

You're putting words in my mouth. I said that I'm glad that that specific team (which would have been crushed by Miami) ended its season the way it did. It's not some broad hypothetical, it's a specific answer. You're acting like I said that I'm glad 2008 Texas didn't get to play Florida. 

Also, you must have been born in the 90's if you don't think that Major is legend around here. He's not the greatest QB we've ever had but he was cult figure and a hero to many of our fans at a time when the fan base was starkly divided. He's not Bobby Layne or Vince Young, but he's a big fuckin deal, and he would be much less of a big deal had he ended his career on the bench in a 40 point loss to Miami. 

Not in the mood for two pages of this right now. Your take on the 2001 squad is embarrassing and being a legend at Texas is a much higher bar than you think it is. I would put all 60 of our consensus all-Americans over Major any day of the week. I don't think he's even one of the best 100 players to ever play for Texas. In fact, I don't think he's even close. Let's get the discussion back to basketball. 

• Like 1

Upsets happen.  Teams go in cocky and lose.  No one knows what that 2001 Texas squad might have done in the MNC game. 

Hell, if this team makes the tournament, I will still root for this shitty god-awful team to make a magic Final Four run for pure entertainment and because it's my team.

If you make it to the dance (NCAAT, MNC, CWS) - enjoy the fucking ride! Shit happens.  I'd rather the opportunity than the consolation prize (shit bowl, NIT or sitting at home).

I just did some research on our FT shooting under Shaka, and the stats are both very telling and very damning. 

Texas FT leaders, minimum 3 FTA/gm 

Texas team FT stats and national ranks

2019: 

Osetkowski- 746% on 3.4 FTA

Hayes- .716% on 3.2 FTA

Roach- .700 on 3.2 FTA

FTA- 368, 245th

FT%- .701, 177th

2018:

Osetkowski- .721% on 3.8 FTA

Bamba- .681%, on 4.0 FTA

Roach- .651% on 3.4 FTA

FTA- 663, 147th

FT%- .665, 317th

2017: 

Jones- .775% on 3.4 FTA

Roach- .630% on 4.2 FTA

Mack- .588% on 3.4 FTA (played 15 games)

Allen- .564% on 4.5 FTA 

FTA- 637, 221st

FT%- .650, 326th

2016:

Taylor- .811% on 5.9

Roach- .629% on 3.5 FTA

Ridley- .407% on 4.2 FTA (played 13 games)

FTA- 743, 119th

FT%- .666 297th

1)His best shooters are his bigs

2)His guards are bad FT shooters

3)His players seldom get to the line

4)His one team that's been even decent at FT shooting (177th in FT% at .701) is his worst at getting to the line (245th in the country at FTA)

and he appears to have zero concern for this based on the players he has recruited. He's had exactly one good/impactful FT shooter in four fucking years. I don't think this can be overstated- this is like a football coach completely ignoring special teams. We lose a million close games and yet we refuse to recruit guards who shoot and we refuse to run an offense that leads to FTA, opting instead to go for long shots all game, even though we can't shoot or rebound worth a damn. 

the biggest constant for me since he's been here: the more research I do, the less I think of Shaka Smart as a coach. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 4

I think the evidence is better than just saying it. I haven't even looked but I don't think I've seen a team win a NIT and follow that up with a high seed NCAA run? maybe they have and i'm just not paying attention? I like facts so show me that and i'm a believer.

Shaka blows and i'll find my post but as conference play started I said in a post once that this team will "upset Kansas" and I based that off how they play up for big games and down to shitty teams. We will lose probably all our road games and somehow upset one too and hang in every game and more than likely finish .500

That's my issue, Shaka is a .500 guy, mediocre coach that somehow pulls off big upsets then follow that up with dog shit.

One other thing I noticed when looking up the FT data, by just about any metric, the three best players on the team this year will be gone next year: Hayes, DO, Roach.

Their WS/40 are .245, .150, and .148. .100 signifies an average player. The next closest player on our team is Febres at .107 and the rest of the team is between that and .077. All the other advanced metrics show a simile gap between those 3 and the rest of our team.

Side note: Hayes has been unbelievably good. His .245 WS/48 is top 20 in the country and that metric penalizes Hayes over guys on better teams because we don’t win as much. He leads the country in true shooting percentage, and he’s been significantly better than bamba was last year, even though you can tell when watching him that he’s so raw and has so many areas he can improve. Hayes net rating is 45.4!!!!!

Anyways, this team will be losing a ton, way more than last year’s team even. Shaka will need a couple guys to take a big leap and the freshmen to come in and be ready to be plus contributors right away just to get this team back to this year’s level. Yeeeesh. 

One possible silver lining is better scheme fit. if Hepa and Will Baker are ready to play, they will spread the floor a lot more and fit Shaka’s offense better. Just think about all those wide open 3 point looks DO gets going to a guy who can actually shoot 3s. The downside is without Hayes, our defense will almost definitely take a pretty huge step back. 

Tl;dr, if Shaka returns combined with losing our 3 best players, next year could be really rough.

I've roundedly criticized Shaka for free throw shooting, but as I pointed out in the other thread, we've actually been very good from the line in conference play, and you can point to at least two wins (OU, KU), that don't happen if we shoot FTs like we did previously.

The getting-to-the-line part is more troublesome. I'm also baffled as to why Febres is relatively mediocre as a FT shooter when his stroke looks good and his BTA stats are good, though the small sample size caveat applies.

I am still confused about Hamm.  His stats, energy and aggression have all been excellent in the limited minutes he's been given.  He needs to be first in for DO when he's shitting the bed or gassed.

Hepa has regressed to a taller, poorer-shooting version of Febres and in my opinion and currently has less to offer short term than Hamm.  He needs serious coaching up regarding defense, boxing out, and offense inside the 3 point line.  I like his attitude and would like to see it utilized for more than 2 minutes a game setting picks and playing soft defense.

Long has regressed from promising early game showings.  He gives up more defensively than he offers offensively.

As much as Roach can turn it on with his defense and scoring, his mindblowing turnovers, lack of situatoinal iq, and propensity for wanting to dribble for 20 seconds dribbling between his legs and throw up panicked end of shot clock bricks has lost games for us this year. 

DO seems to be trending towards playing within the lunch bucket role and that's what he should be doing.  

I'm okay with the Coleman, Ramey, Roach, DO, and Hayes line-up, but there is no excuse for Roach playing the point/distributor role in that line-up.  Febres is definitely the 6th man.  Sims and Hamm should be the next guys up.  I'd like to see more of the Coleman, Ramey, Febres, Hamm, Hayes lineup to see how they mesh, especially when Roach is 3 for 13 with 4 turnovers and DO can't hit a layup against a shorter man.

• Like 1

Well KU just pulled a reverse Charlie Strong on you, or if you prefer maybe Shaka just pulled a david beaty.  Beat the best team in the conference and he just earned himself a raise and another 2 years.  At least that would be a silver lining for KU fans.

30 minutes ago, VinyVango said:

Long has regressed from promising early game showings.  He gives up more defensively than he offers offensively.

Long didn't "regress", he just isn't good enough to get significant minutes in the Big 12. Like Derka said, Ramey should have been starting earlier, if not all season.

41 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Well KU just pulled a reverse Charlie Strong on you, or if you prefer maybe Shaka just pulled a david beaty.  Beat the best team in the conference and he just earned himself a raise and another 2 years.  At least that would be a silver lining for KU fans.

Damn. A reverse David Beaty. That hurts. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Joke's on you, we gave him the David Beaty extension years before he even beat Kansas!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

One other thing I noticed when looking up the FT data, by just about any metric, the three best players on the team this year will be gone next year: Hayes, DO, Roach.

Their WS/40 are .245, .150, and .148. .100 signifies an average player. The next closest player on our team is Febres at .107 and the rest of the team is between that and .077. All the other advanced metrics show a simile gap between those 3 and the rest of our team.

Side note: Hayes has been unbelievably good. His .245 WS/48 is top 20 in the country and that metric penalizes Hayes over guys on better teams because we don’t win as much. He leads the country in true shooting percentage, and he’s been significantly better than bamba was last year, even though you can tell when watching him that he’s so raw and has so many areas he can improve. Hayes net rating is 45.4!!!!!

Anyways, this team will be losing a ton, way more than last year’s team even. Shaka will need a couple guys to take a big leap and the freshmen to come in and be ready to be plus contributors right away just to get this team back to this year’s level. Yeeeesh. 

One possible silver lining is better scheme fit. if Hepa and Will Baker are ready to play, they will spread the floor a lot more and fit Shaka’s offense better. Just think about all those wide open 3 point looks DO gets going to a guy who can actually shoot 3s. The downside is without Hayes, our defense will almost definitely take a pretty huge step back. 

Tl;dr, if Shaka returns combined with losing our 3 best players, next year could be really rough.

agree somewhat but Hepa hasn't proven to be a good shooter and we have no idea if Baker can shoot yet.  It seems we hear about our recruits being very good shooters in high school but they get here and, save for a couple of guys, can't throw it in the ocean most nights.  playing against college level defenses with bigger players that can close out on you changes things a lot.

• Like 1

That's fairly normal for freshmen. I mentioned it somewhere else,  but Svi Mykhailiuk and Buddy Hield shot in the upper and mid 20s respectively as freshmen.  And pretty much every dead eyed 3pt shooter that I've researched over the last 10 years outside of Steph and a few others were pretty mediocre to downright horrible as freshmen.  This actually bodes well for a guy like Ramey who is currently hitting at a 37% clip as a freshmen. He's benefitting from not being a defensive focus right now because his release is a bit slow and low for my liking,  but he's hitting nonetheless. We'll see what he does next year. 

• Like 1

x/posting, because a post i made in the Barnes thread is equally appropriate here, if not more so. i would encourage everyone to watch the video within the link. from how well he's coached his team up, to how open and honest he is, this is how my ideal HC comports himself when being interviewed. He gives insight into his program, and he's blunt and honest. That's what I want as a fan:

https://amp.knoxnews.com/amp/2688462002

I haven't read the article yet, only watched the video,  it man- this video exemplifies what I love about Barnes/cant stand about Shaka- how straightforward and honest and blunt he is, for better or worse. When Rick speaks he tells it like it, and that gives his fans a look inside his program that we simply do not get with Shaka. Tennessee fans can stay abreast of the inner working schedule of the squad because Barnes isn't afraid to tell the public what he tells his team/what happens within his team. He expects his guys to be able to handle it. 

Contrast that with Shaka who blathers on about "trusting our process", "treating the game good", "how the basketball god will treat you" and other trite, meaningless, coschspeak BS. Whether he thinks he's protecting his team or he's just that inept, it's so irritating and exasperating to have a coach who just spews bullshit from his mouth every time he talks. Anyway, here's the article and video that I mentioned. 

https://amp.knoxnews.com/amp/2688462002

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

We get it, you fucking love Rick Barnes.

yeah and i hate the bullshit that Shaka spews out of his mouth. we have so many questions about our program and it's problems and all we can get is, "we've been treating the game good so the basketball gods will reward us soon." it's a joke. i think that posting a video of our former coach being so open about his team really illustrates that point. sorry it's so difficult for you to hear Rick Barnes' name, but I'm pretty sure you'll survive. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 12:09 AM, dcar00 said:

agree somewhat but Hepa hasn't proven to be a good shooter and we have no idea if Baker can shoot yet.  It seems we hear about our recruits being very good shooters in high school but they get here and, save for a couple of guys, can't throw it in the ocean most nights.  playing against college level defenses with bigger players that can close out on you changes things a lot.

I think it has to do more with confidence. In high school these guys were studs and walked and played head and shoulders above their competition most nights and for years previous. We're not talking about hitting a 3 pointer after a dribble and pull up with a hand in your face. Most of these are set shots. Their confidence or lack of comes from the fact that that they can't dribble circles around everyone anymore, jump higher, run faster and w?Shaka their not improving on those skills to achieve at the next level. 

1)Fred Hoiberg

2)Steve Prohm

3)Buzz Williams

4)Ben Howland

5)Eric Musselman

I'm still high on Musselman and think that he could have a ton of success here, and I know that he'd have our offense doing a 180 from what we see now. Still, with a void of sure fire replacements out there, I have other guys ahead of him because they have more college coaching experience and I feel a bit more certain that we'd turn the program around under one of them, even if Musselman could have just as high a ceiling as any of them here. Prohm strikes me as an up and coming star in coaching, while Buzz has Va Tech looking very good, is young, is from Texas, and would be a clear upgrade. Howland is a bona fide program fixer and would be a super safe pick, and Hoiberg is the dream. I really hope that one of them is leading our team next year. 

• Like 1

Since Shaka's first year here when the roster turned over from Barnes' gang of 3* recruits who combined would enjoy a single cup of coffee in the NBA, Shaka and his three consecutive top 8 nationally ranked recruiting classes are 16-29 in conference play, including 4-5 this year, the most down year for the league in a very very long time. 

I'm with GP on his criticisms of SHaka, but I have no idea why you keep using Barnes as a counter example, except to think that you like the attention it inevitably generates. That video of Barnes presser was peak coachspeak. "The guys have really become a team. Can't talk about final four, look at our schedule. I don't have to say anything in the huddle, our guys will say it for me. We've got Kentucky twice and Mizzouri and others, they're all really good blah. blah. blah."

On 2/4/2019 at 6:25 PM, Goo Punch said:

1)Fred Hoiberg

2)Steve Prohm

3)Buzz Williams

4)Ben Howland

5)Eric Musselman

I'm still high on Musselman and think that he could have a ton of success here, and I know that he'd have our offense doing a 180 from what we see now. Still, with a void of sure fire replacements out there, I have other guys ahead of him because they have more college coaching experience and I feel a bit more certain that we'd turn the program around under one of them, even if Musselman could have just as high a ceiling as any of them here. Prohm strikes me as an up and coming star in coaching, while Buzz has Va Tech looking very good, is young, is from Texas, and would be a clear upgrade. Howland is a bona fide program fixer and would be a super safe pick, and Hoiberg is the dream. I really hope that one of them is leading our team next year. 

the only problem I have with Musselman is that his dad was the king of the sleazebags in the early 70s

• Poor guard development last 2 years
  • Terrible zone offenses all 4 years
  • Lethargic Defense by 2018-19 squad
  • Poor mid-range game from Bigs
  • Terrible shooting teams all 4 years
  • Basketball IQ and game management sucks
Edited by LTtxfan
Thanks... Feeling Better after venting frustrations

• immamac locked this topic
  • immamac unlocked this topic
  • immamac pinned and featured this topic
  • immamac unpinned this topic