The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

14 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Lmfao! Well I have the big budget from selling the j150. So I’m gonna buy something with that and I have a yearly guitar budget as well for the silver skyF1EA0481-7254-44C4-9D9F-4AC88846918E.thumb.png.8102eefd1d99919f08ee6543dbf5cdf8.png

For what it’s worth, my brother loves his Silver Sky, I’ve played it and it’s a great guitar.  I personally can’t get over the headstock, but it’s a better guitar than my Fender Am Pro II Strat.  The pickups are great and the real differentiator.  I think the list price reflects you are basically getting a standard-grade Strat with high end custom pickups and paying a bit to JM for his name.  Make sure you like the 7.5” radius.  That didn’t bother me, but it might be a turn off for some players.

Enjoy your free guitar, whatever it winds up being!

• Like 1

Speaking if Reverb...

After a few drinks last night I nearly made an offer on this "reverse burst" R9. Its from 2014, same year as my R8, so I'm certain it has those pickups that sound like Thor's hammer. Still tempted.

Gibson R9 2014 Reverse Burst https://reverb.com/item/41205432-gibson-r9-2014-reverse-burst?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=41205432Screenshot_20210806-153948_Reverb.thumb.jpg.6f1bad1d95a2ba1d7f75cfa84af617f9.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Speaking if Reverb...

After a few drinks last night I nearly made an offer on this "reverse burst" R9. Its from 2014, same year as my R8, so I'm certain it has those pickups that sound like Thor's hammer. Still tempted.

Gibson R9 2014 Reverse Burst https://reverb.com/item/41205432-gibson-r9-2014-reverse-burst?utm_source=android-app&utm_medium=android-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=41205432Screenshot_20210806-153948_Reverb.thumb.jpg.6f1bad1d95a2ba1d7f75cfa84af617f9.jpg

Drink a bit more tonight and keep us posted.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 6:22 AM, Goredho said:

For what it’s worth, my brother loves his Silver Sky, I’ve played it and it’s a great guitar.  I personally can’t get over the headstock, but it’s a better guitar than my Fender Am Pro II Strat.  The pickups are great and the real differentiator.  I think the list price reflects you are basically getting a standard-grade Strat with high end custom pickups and paying a bit to JM for his name.  Make sure you like the 7.5” radius.  That didn’t bother me, but it might be a turn off for some players.

Enjoy your free guitar, whatever it winds up being!

I have yet to come across a single person that's played a Silver Sky who doesn't like it, if not love it. Which is unfortunate for my efforts to maintain a certain worldview I've grown comfortable with.

Edited by BoomMF
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BoomMF said:

I have yet to come across a single person that's played a Silver Sky who doesn't like it, if not love it. Which is unfortunate for my efforts to maintain a certain worldview I've grown comfortable with.

I’m gonna love mine if we can make a deal

D41 has entered the chat. Gonna take a hard look at them. Cool story bro: worked at GC for 2 years in the early 2000s. I could have got one at cost for $1400. But that was like a million trillion dollars at the time making $7.50 an hour about $600 every 2 weeks. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I honestly have no idea what I paid for mine. If I picked a number from memory it would be $3k, but my memory from around then isn't great. It wouldn't surprise me if it was slightly discounted - the previous owner did put a strap button into the neck heel which isn't a problem but probably isn't a bonus for the value. But yes, join the D41 club.

image.thumb.png.626f66dcba8548edcc1b0edc9782d2ab.png

image.thumb.png.2ae072d149e839c2585ea17c12ae09a2.png

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, DougO said:

I never have enough cases. I'm always on the lookout for stray gig bags. But the cheap ones all suck these days.

I got one of these (FE620) a few years ago. It's about $50 and padded in all the right places. It fits my Tele like a glove, but I need to stretch it a bit to fit my S500.

image.thumb.png.f82f58de2dd442cf6c45ccfdf2a77a16.png

On 8/8/2021 at 9:00 AM, Bogeywon said:

D41 has entered the chat. Gonna take a hard look at them. Cool story bro: worked at GC for 2 years in the early 2000s. I could have got one at cost for $1400. But that was like a million trillion dollars at the time making $7.50 an hour about $600 every 2 weeks. 

I think we all have a "fish that got away" story like this.  Mine is a shiny Gibson ES-5 Swtichmaster at the Guitar Center in Austin.  It was on a pedestal front and center when you walked in and I can't recall exactly what they were asking for it, but it was less than half of whatever the going rate was (mid/late 90s).  I asked the GC guy what was going on with it.  Factory second?  A crack?  Anything?  He said there was absolutely nothing wrong with it and that orders had come down from on high that they have this lowball price on it.  Didn't matter because I probably didn't have $200 uncommitted to my name at the time.  That is burned in my brain.  

24 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I just realized, I don’t think I’ve ever played a guitar at GC that excited me in any way.

Man when I worked there we treated everything like dog shit. Ripping $2,000-$8,000 guitars out of boxes to hang on the wall. Taking the cases and jamming them on warehouse shelves  

I just realized, I don’t think I’ve ever played a guitar at GC that excited me in any way.

I bought my black 96 Les Paul Custom brand new at GC center somewhere in north Dallas. I had just gotten a bonus at work the day before. Sat am I walked in there and pointed way up high on the 2 story wall and said That One! Had to find a ladder. Took forever. Also bought a Marshall half stack. Whipped out the checkbook and the guy said uh, I’m gonna have to call this in. Told him call whoever you want, it’s all good.

That was a sweet day.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Ok, kind of a guitar and effects question rolled into one: was talking to a guy yesterday about amplified acoustic guitar tone. He was making the point that really anything under about 400hz produced by an acoustic guitar is boomy and muddy, generally because physics. He was suggesting splitting the signal from the guitar and one one side rolling off everything above 400hz or so with an eq and running it through an octaver to produce a tight low end and back to the board on another channel. Same thing with the other side of the split except rolling off everything below 400 so the "guitar" sound goes through this side. He was suggesting using a POG or something similar. The idea is to tighten up the low end without the boom. Anyone have thoughts or experience on this?

Ok, kind of a guitar and effects question rolled into one: was talking to a guy yesterday about amplified acoustic guitar tone. He was making the point that really anything under about 400hz produced by an acoustic guitar is boomy and muddy, generally because physics. He was suggesting splitting the signal from the guitar and one one side rolling off everything above 400hz or so with an eq and running it through an octaver to produce a tight low end and back to the board on another channel. Same thing with the other side of the split except rolling off everything below 400 so the "guitar" sound goes through this side. He was suggesting using a POG or something similar. The idea is to tighten up the low end without the boom. Anyone have thoughts or experience on this?

Sounds sort of like a crossover frequency on a subwoofer. I have no idea if it would work so you should do it.

13 hours ago, Goredho said:

You are gonna wear that headstock like a scarlet letter!

Fuck yeah I am! And I’m gonna love every minute of it. PRS’s are my favorite guitars. Built amazing and play amazing. 

12 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

Yes! Now you can tell me all about it.

Will do!

11 hours ago, Deej said:

A46E4253-586D-41B2-ACD0-72451FC09026.jpeg

LMFAO

3 hours ago, topochico said:

Please tell me you got Roxy Pink!

You ordered Tungsten didn't you.....

midnight rose! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Missed this. It doesn't say if Gibson plans to make it right with the ones out there. I'd be pissed. They're gonna add more prominent labeling in the future. emoji849.png

So I know from my brother's experience, Gibson is taking his Murphy Lab's guitar back and only offering a promise to "repair, refinish or replace".   He sent it back to Gibson, but isn't happy about the possibility of "replace".  He loves the guitar aside from its corn-flakiness.  Having played it, I will say that finish issues aside, its a pretty special instrument.

I think the problem has gotten enough attention that Gibson is in PR damage-control mode.  They have like 50 people working to produce a large number of "Murphy Labs" models.  Its a huge product investment for them as the flagship for their high-end custom shop guitars.  Can Gibson, which has not been a healthy company, afford a complete loss in buyer confidence in this product line?  Is the failure of the Murphy Labs line possibly even an existential threat?  I don't know the answers to those questions, but this type of public response from Gibson to place the blame on retailers and consumers is strange and intriguing.

bold-strategy-cotton.gif

So I know from my brother's experience, Gibson is taking his Murphy Lab's guitar back and only offering a promise to "repair, refinish or replace".   He sent it back to Gibson, but isn't happy about the possibility of "replace".  He loves the guitar aside from its corn-flakiness.  Having played it, I will say that finish issues aside, its a pretty special instrument.
I think the problem has gotten enough attention that Gibson is in PR damage-control mode.  They have like 50 people working to produce a large number of "Murphy Labs" models.  Its a huge product investment for them as the flagship for their high-end custom shop guitars.  Can Gibson, which has not been a healthy company, afford a complete loss in buyer confidence in this product line?  Is the failure of the Murphy Labs line possibly even an existential threat?  I don't know the answers to those questions, but this type of public response from Gibson to place the blame on retailers and consumers is strange and intriguing.

bold-strategy-cotton.gif

This is my question. They recently had an ownership change and have been trying to bring back confidence in the brand because they were bleeding so bad.

I bought a Hummingbird new from a local dealer a few years back. It had a tiny rattle under the bridge. Not enough that anybody would notice, I'd only hear it if I was playing in a quiet place. Certainly didn't hear it in in the loud-ish music store when I bought it. Still, unacceptable on a guitar I payed over $3k for. Long story, but the dealer sent back to Gibson and they got it back to me with the issue resolved. I was initially disappointed that there was no explanation of what they did, but soon realized its probably better to not have documentation that there ever was an issue for resale considerations. They handled it well, imo. Hope they do right for your brother.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

This is my question. They recently had an ownership change and have been trying to bring back confidence in the brand because they were bleeding so bad.

I bought a Hummingbird new from a local dealer a few years back. It had a tiny rattle under the bridge. Not enough that anybody would notice, I'd only hear it if I was playing in a quiet place. Certainly didn't hear it in in the loud-ish music store when I bought it. Still, unacceptable on a guitar I payed over $3k for. Long story, but the dealer sent back to Gibson and they got it back to me with the issue resolved. I was initially disappointed that there was no explanation of what they did, but soon realized its probably better to not have documentation that there ever was an issue for resale considerations. They handled it well, imo. Hope they do right for your brother.

Yeah, so far, they are doing all you could probably expect them to do for him.  It just sucks he paid $7K to be Gibson's QA department and its unclear exactly when he'll get the guitar back.

My take away is that as with cars, its probably smart to not be the first in line for a new model.  Let someone else help the manufacturer work out the kinks.

Guy started a thread on the MyLesPaul forum about the one he sent back for repair. Sent him a replacement that wasn't as nice as the one he picked out. He complained about not having a say in the matter or getting to choose another. They told him "Read your warranty." 

• Hook 'Em 1