The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

On 8/9/2021 at 1:57 PM, tbone_ said:

Ok, kind of a guitar and effects question rolled into one: was talking to a guy yesterday about amplified acoustic guitar tone. He was making the point that really anything under about 400hz produced by an acoustic guitar is boomy and muddy, generally because physics. He was suggesting splitting the signal from the guitar and one one side rolling off everything above 400hz or so with an eq and running it through an octaver to produce a tight low end and back to the board on another channel. Same thing with the other side of the split except rolling off everything below 400 so the "guitar" sound goes through this side. He was suggesting using a POG or something similar. The idea is to tighten up the low end without the boom. Anyone have thoughts or experience on this?

All six open strings would be rolled off.  

https://fretsuccess.com/what-are-the-guitar-string-frequencies/

And a POG generates octaves from all the strings… not just the low strings.  

I’m all for forging your own path and defying convention, but I’ll bet this would sound awful. 

Edited by Paul Wesley

15 minutes ago, topochico said:

I wrote off G&L after they mismanaged a replacement pickguard. Can’t even imagine dealing with what Gibson is doing. Hope your brother comes out ok Goredho. 

Thanks, he'll be fine either way.  When I was in ATX R* shopping a couple weeks ago, I went to the Guitar Center at Anderson and played the various ones they had there (they all were very meh).  They had a Murphy Lab's aged R9 that was flaking all over the place.  I couldn't believe they had left it out in that condition.  I told them about it, and they took it off the floor.  Starting to wonder if I should have done a Bogey and tried to buy it at a ridiculously cheap price so I could ship it off to Gibson to be refinished/replaced and then resell it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Thanks Paul. Whether I try the POG or not that link is very helpful for my amateur ass trying to make a plugged in guitar sound good. It’s not easy.

There are definitely a lot of guys on this thread better than me at amplifying acoustic guitar.  

My non-expert impression is that a lot of the built-in factory pickups have come a long way in last 20 years.  

4 hours ago, Goredho said:

Yeah, so far, they are doing all you could probably expect them to do for him.  It just sucks he paid $7K to be Gibson's QA department and its unclear exactly when he'll get the guitar back.

My take away is that as with cars, its probably smart to not be the first in line for a new model.  Let someone else help the manufacturer work out the kinks.

Murphy’s Law…..

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Goredho said:

Thanks, he'll be fine either way.  When I was in ATX R* shopping a couple weeks ago, I went to the Guitar Center at Anderson and played the various ones they had there (they all were very meh).  They had a Murphy Lab's aged R9 that was flaking all over the place.  I couldn't believe they had left it out in that condition.  I told them about it, and they took it off the floor.  Starting to wonder if I should have done a Bogey and tried to buy it at a ridiculously cheap price so I could ship it off to Gibson to be refinished/replaced and then resell it.

It’s Guitar Center. As soon as you left, they put it back out at retail price. They weren’t cutting a great deal on it. 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Deej said:

Guy started a thread on the MyLesPaul forum about the one he sent back for repair. Sent him a replacement that wasn't as nice as the one he picked out. He complained about not having a say in the matter or getting to choose another. They told him "Read your warranty." 

Found the thread and forwarded it to my brother.  He's currently reading it and making soap to blow up the Murphy Lab.

https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/murphy-lab-finish-repair-not.458102/

I told him not to feel bad, he could be this guy:

So more bad news. I have returned 6 ML all with various colors of cherry backs. I have 2 left with cherry. The first one I ever bought - a heavy aged '59 and the infamous '58 Urine Burst. Now after only being away for a 2 week trip I just checked my guitars again and the heavy aged '59 now has pimples on its butt! This has been sitting unplayed in a climate controlled music room.

This is how the finish starts to come off and it only gets worse.....I wonder if the Urine Burst will have the same fate one day. That would be all of my cherry back ML at that point. I still have 3 goldtops, '68 Custom, '64 SG, and '64 ES-335 that all seem to be doing ok.

Look for areas of grey where defective finish is missing. Any original finish removal at the factory will have a cherry or brown color underneath.

Back to the Gibson lottery - what will this be replaced with? Only time will tell. Perhaps a nice Epiphone if I am lucky....

img_3580-jpg.553859

img_3579-jpg.553860

img_3578-jpg.553861

I have a Jazzmaster and I love it. It’s a traditional JM so what you have linked is a somewhat different animal. I can’t speak to all the modern features but my guess is they make for a somewhat more versatile instrument.

That said, I think you should go for it.
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I dropped a drum throne last night. It bounced about 5 ft across the room and left a big gouge in the back of my Les Paul R8. I bet Murphy Labs never though to try that technique!

Well that sucks. At least it's on the back???

068085D5-777D-4810-8998-AD65A05C0EB8_4_5005_c.jpeg

Edited by topochico

I'm just grateful that it was the back of the guitar facing the room. It's a guitar I plan to take to my deathbed, so its really just gonna serve as a reminder that I'm an idiot. I told my friend who was here, "I just took a guitar worth about $5k and made it worth about $4k".

Better news, my last bass player and I committed to weekly sessions last night. Ive been frustrated cause I've been writing a ton lately and I've nobody to collaborate with, so it all goes nowhere. I have another project/outlet, but I can never get a commitment to something regular with them and half of what I come up with doesn't fit it anyway. I have 3 drummers interested and hope to find another guitar player who we gel with. Hopefully we'll have a new Rock and Roll band by the holidays.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I used to play live using a Jaguar on occasion - thought it was a cool guitar but I was constantly knocking the little switches on the upper bout out of position. I would have eventually broke out the painters tape if it had been a more permanent situation.

59 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I dropped a drum throne last night. It bounced about 5 ft across the room and left a big gouge in the back of my Les Paul R8. I bet Murphy Labs never though to try that technique!

Of all the ways you can put a big ass gouge on a guitar, this is the way. Be at peace with it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

He did call that guy Don. Maybe I’m wrong, I saw that bushy head of hair and assumed it was him. Mac always had bright red hair but haven’t seen him in years. I was a fan before he joined Buffett.

I'm almost positive it's McAnally.  It looks just like him, and he tours with Buffet.  Furthermore, nobody named "Don" is in the Coral Reefer Band.  I know the drummer Roger Guth -- I'll ping him and see if he can confirm.

• Like 1

Autf’s story reminds me of this: In 1985 I saved up all summer and bought an alpine white Les Paul custom. With a gold Kahler and a locking nut. The truss rod cover did not say anything on it like normal ones do I think because of the locking nut.

Not long after I bought it my dumbass 17 yo self dropped a heavy jar on the horn and took a huge unrepairable gouge out of it. It also had some red fading on the back from a red and white checkered shirt I wore 4x a week while playing in the on stage band for a couple of month long production of Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. (A dozen or so 20 something yo “whores” running around in their underwear backstage was pretty cool for my dumbass 17 yo self, do recommend). Some years later I foolishly sold it for way too little.

The reason I am giving you fine fellows all this detail is because if you ever run across a white 85 Les Paul custom, faded yellow (and pink on the back) with a Kahler, no lettering on the truss rod cover, a giant bite taken out of the horn, and a chainsaw case with blue felt for sale please let me know. I’ll pay whatever the price is.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

14 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Autf’s story reminds me of this: In 1985 I saved up all summer and bought an alpine white Les Paul custom. With a gold Kahler and a locking nut. The truss rod cover did not say anything on it like normal ones do I think because of the locking nut.

Not long after I bought it my dumbass 17 yo self dropped a heavy jar on the horn and took a huge unrepairable gouge out of it. It also had some red fading on the back from a red and white checkered shirt I wore 4x a week while playing in the on stage band for a couple of month long production of Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. (A dozen or so 20 something yo “whores” running around in their underwear backstage was pretty cool for my dumbass 17 yo self, do recommend). Some years later I foolishly sold it for way too little.

The reason I am giving you fine fellows all this detail is because if you ever run across a white 85 Les Paul custom, faded yellow (and pink on the back) with a Kahler, no lettering on the truss rod cover, a giant bite taken out of the horn, and a chainsaw case with blue felt for sale please let me know. I’ll pay whatever the price is.

On the lookout.  Say no more.

44 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

is there any blow in the chainsaw case

I think Jazzmasters are really cool but never owned one. Chris Stapleton gets awesome sound out of his.

Since I’m on the Fender hunt I can tell you that what they say about the Ultra Strat is that it’s not very “Stratty”, too modern. I don’t know if that holds true for the Jazzmaster, but if you really want one I’d play the Pro and the Ultra for comparison before you drop that kind of cash.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

@foggynotion to the white courtesy phone.

If anybody can find it, its that guy.

If there's any cocaine in the chainsaw case, please don't do it in the bathroom below my stairs.

Give Foggy a while to check his storage area.

tenor (27).gif

• Haha 1

Ok, Gibson has come through, and did something truly amazing to win back the loyal customers that got burned by their Murphy’s Lab guitars...

They got Joe Bonamassa to endorse Murphy’s Lab guitars in a social media promo vid!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Ok, Gibson has come through, and did something truly amazing to win back the loyal customers that got burned by their Murphy’s Lab guitars...

They got Joe Bonamassa to endorse Murphy’s Lab guitars in a social media promo vid!

…you ‘gon learn t’day!

4 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I think Jazzmasters are really cool but never owned one. Chris Stapleton gets awesome sound out of his.

Since I’m on the Fender hunt I can tell you that what they say about the Ultra Strat is that it’s not very “Stratty”, too modern. I don’t know if that holds true for the Jazzmaster, but if you really want one I’d play the Pro and the Ultra for comparison before you drop that kind of cash.

Yeah I need to find a store with some I can play. Guitar center is a ghost town now. Does sweetwater do demos? They have demo sales so maybe?

Of all the ways you can put a big ass gouge on a guitar, this is the way. Be at peace with it.

Thank you for this perspective CM. After stewing on it, the story is even better.

I've been trying to complete what will be my/our 1st record for well over a year now. We finally had everything done last spring, but a short section of the bass was really sloppy on one track. None of it's perfect, but this section really stood out. I tried having her do the overdub here in June and she killed it, but I fucked up recording because I'm an idiot and don't know what I'm doing. She's a teacher and spent the summer break galavanting all over, so it was last night before I could get her here to do it again - 2 days before I go do some galavanting of my own. I was getting the throne for her to sit on when I dropped it. We hi-fived at the end because she nailed it and its the final thing that needed to be recorded. Now we just need it edited in by the guy doing the mixing, then we can get all of it mastered and copyrighted. After that I'll see if I can get a label to put it out or do it myself if not.

All that to say, that gouge at least has a moment it's worthy of. Thank you for the perspective.

Come to think of it, she never sat on the throne anyway. She recorded standing up. Oh well!

• Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, NoRagrets said:

Yeah I need to find a store with some I can play. Guitar center is a ghost town now. Does sweetwater do demos? They have demo sales so maybe?

Yes sweet water has demos! They are awesome about it. I bought a my Noel Gibson j150 and my cobain Jaguar on demo prices cause they had a scratch. They sent pictures of the scratches and when I got the guitars I couldn’t find anything. Always have had a good experience with Sweetwater. If you have to go the GC route and see something on the web my guy in detroit (he’s been there like 17 years I worked with him for 2 in early 2000s) fan cut you a deal. Everything is shipped now anyway so if you play something you like give him a shot.