Jump to content
Snacks

2019 - 2020 Houston Rockets Thread of Heroes Taking Shots

Recommended Posts

Who will have more triple doubles?

 

Who will make the most passes with 4 secs left on the clock?

 

Who will play PF?

 

Shoot your shot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NowThis said:

did they sign Faried

No they haven't. I am sad about it because he's plus rebounder and high energy guy. Would be good off of the bench in spurts to give the opposition a different look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Capela and the 900 year old Tyson Chandler are the only Bigs under contract at the moment, true? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Mad Max, Sleep Floyd, and Pat are on my Rockets Mount Rushmore of Underappreciated Wings. 

Pat Beverley is a wing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Pat Beverley is a wing?

Who was the Rocket who would take rainbow jumpshots? Basically on every jumpshot he would make it rain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Mad Max, Sleep Floyd, and Pat are on my Rockets Mount Rushmore of Underappreciated Wings. 

Amazes me how many people love Mad Max after the guy literally quit on the team in the playoffs because he was butt hurt.  I get he was a big part of the first title team and now talks shit about Utah every chance he gets but the love he gets baffles me. It's almost like everyone gives him a pass for it all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, joeycovers said:

Amazes me how many people love Mad Max after the guy literally quit on the team in the playoffs because he was butt hurt.  I get he was a big part of the first title team and now talks shit about Utah every chance he gets but the love he gets baffles me. It's almost like everyone gives him a pass for it all. 

People have short memories. Olajuwon faked an injury / quit too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True, but AFTER that he won 2 Titles and a MVP.

Maxwell burned the team and never played again all because he didnt want to come off the bench and play behind a future HOF player. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Who was the Rocket who would take rainbow jumpshots? Basically on every jumpshot he would make it rain.

World B Free

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Who was the Rocket who would take rainbow jumpshots? Basically on every jumpshot he would make it rain.

Buck Johnson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, mycox said:

World B Free

I think it was Purvis Short.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bevo said:

Who was the Rocket who would take rainbow jumpshots? Basically on every jumpshot he would make it rain.

Yolo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah yes, i think it was Purvis Short now that you mention it. I used to love watching Buck Johnson dunk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mycox said:

Ah yes, i think it was Purvis Short now that you mention it. I used to love watching Buck Johnson dunk.

Yeah, I saw Billfromlaketravis' post on underappreciated wings, and it got me thinking about Houston wings. Drexler played guard for us, Barkley played power forward, Rodney McCray played point, Harden plays guard so it has been kind of slim pickings for stars at the wing. Pippen, I guess, but he wasn't that good as a Rocket. Mario Ellie wasn't that good...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Yeah, I saw Billfromlaketravis' post on underappreciated wings, and it got me thinking about Houston wings. Drexler played guard for us, Barkley played power forward, Rodney McCray played point, Harden plays guard so it has been kind of slim pickings for stars at the wing. Pippen, I guess, but he wasn't that good as a Rocket. Mario Ellie wasn't that good...

*Elie, who was Clutch and the Rockets beat the Suns without him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

*Elie, who was Clutch and the Rockets beat the Suns without him.

I'm just saying that we have had great guards and centers, but unless you count Drexler, we haven't had an iconic small forward. San Antonio has had a few like Gervin and Leonard and Dallas had Aguirre.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I'm just saying that we have had great guards and centers, but unless you count Drexler, we haven't had an iconic small forward. San Antonio has had a few like Gervin and Leonard and Dallas had Aguirre.

Tracy McGrady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UDontKnow said:

Tracy McGrady

Good call. I totally forgot about him. Kind of forgettable years for Rocket fans.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

Tracy McGrady

McGrady played the majority of his productive career as a guard. With the Rockets, Battier was the SF.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Bevo said:

I think it was Purvis Short.

this is correct.  Growing up, his coaches would put a broom in front of his shot, forcing crazy high shots.  It paid off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bevo said:

I'm just saying that we have had great guards and centers, but unless you count Drexler, we haven't had an iconic small forward. San Antonio has had a few like Gervin and Leonard and Dallas had Aguirre.

Robert Horry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL what?! Kawhi wanted to be paired with a bonafide star...which is why he solicited KD first. <shakes head>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Power Forward

he played with Hakeem, Otis Thorpe in the frontcourt as a SF. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NowThis said:

he played with Hakeem, Otis Thorpe in the frontcourt as a SF. 

I guess it had to be that first championship season where that lineup played. Man I loved me some Otis Thorpe. He was a baller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I think Gordon is being dealt. You don't sign another guard with a similar skill set as Gordon if you don't plan on moving him. If you can move him for a starting wing, you do it.

Edited by HtownHorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

huge mistake to trade Gordon , their 2nd most important player.  Mr. Buckets.  Morey you dumbass, get a Big man! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

I think Gordon is being dealt. You don't sign another guard with a similar skill set as Gordon if you don't plan on moving him. If you can move him for a starting wing, you do it.

Maybe. Anyone know how McLemore compares to Gordon in terms of defense? That needs to be taken into account if speculating that Gordon is on the trading block.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NowThis said:

huge mistake to trade Gordon , their 2nd most important player.  Mr. Buckets.  Morey you dumbass, get a Big man! 

Mr. Buckets until the final 2 games of the Golden State series. 9-24, 4-12. If you can swap him for Robert Covington you do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Maybe. Anyone know how McLemore compares to Gordon in terms of defense? That needs to be taken into account if speculating that Gordon is on the trading block.

Neither are great at defense. Both have average DRtg's, as Gordon's career is 113 and McLemore is 112. 

Gordon's DBPM is higher than McLemore's, -2.3 vs. -1.5

McLemore is slightly better at rebounding, while their STL% and BLK% are the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Mr. Buckets until the final 2 games of the Golden State series. 9-24, 4-12. If you can swap him for Robert Covington you do it.

Assuming can swing a deal with the T-Wolves for RoCo, is this your predicted starting lineup: Westbrook, Harden, Tucker, Covington, Capela? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Assuming can swing a deal with the T-Wolves for RoCo, is this your predicted starting lineup: Westbrook, Harden, Tucker, Covington, Capela? 

Absolutely.

With your bench being Rivers, McLemore, House, Green, and Chandler. If Bennett makes the team then you have another guy to play at the 4.

You just don't need a Gordon when you have Westbrook and Harden running a iso heavy offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NowThis said:

huge mistake to trade Gordon , their 2nd most important player.  Mr. Buckets.  Morey you dumbass, get a Big man! 

Not the 2nd most important player anymore. And Gordon might want the hell out of there, too. If he was a bit disgruntled about his touches before, imagine what he's thinking now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 guard with Gordon will run everybody out of the gym, tho...

not that it's going to happen much, if at all..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Absolutely.

With your bench being Rivers, McLemore, House, Green, and Chandler. If Bennett makes the team then you have another guy to play at the 4.

You just don't need a Gordon when you have Westbrook and Harden running a iso heavy offense.

Gordon as a spot up shooter with an open look is a very good deal. Houston badly needs to keep EG, something called chemistry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, NowThis said:

Gordon as a spot up shooter with an open look is a very good deal. Houston badly needs to keep EG, something called chemistry. 

You really are overrating Gordon's impact on this team.

Edited by HtownHorn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

You really are overrating Gordon's impact on this team.

nah, i know a baller when i see one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2019 at 5:22 PM, Bevo said:

Good call. I totally forgot about him. Kind of forgettable years for Rocket fans.

I’m still sad nothing came of those squads with TMac, Yao, Battier, Scola, and Mutombo, and briefly Ron Artest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I’m still sad nothing came of those squads with TMac, Yao, Battier, Scola, and Mutombo, and briefly Ron Artest. 

what an awesome lineup 2008-2009, effectively Yao's last year.  Won 53 games. 

No. Player Pos Ht Wt Birth Date   Exp College
12 Rafer Alston PG 6-2 171 July 24, 1976 us 9 California State University, Fresno
17 Brent Barry SG 6-6 185 December 31, 1971 us 13 Oregon State University
31 Shane Battier SG 6-8 220 September 9, 1978 us 7 Duke University
0 Aaron Brooks PG 6-0 161 January 14, 1985 us 1 University of Oregon
43 Brian Cook PF 6-9 234 December 4, 1980 us 5 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
15 Joey Dorsey PF 6-8 268 December 16, 1983 us R University of Memphis
44 Chuck Hayes C 6-6 240 June 11, 1983 us 3 University of Kentucky
2 Luther Head PG 6-3 185 November 26, 1982 us 3 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
14 Carl Landry PF 6-9 248 September 19, 1983 us 1 Purdue University
7 Kyle Lowry PG 6-1 196 March 25, 1986 us 2 Villanova University
1 Tracy McGrady SG 6-8 210 May 24, 1979 us 11  
11 Yao Ming C 7-6 310 September 12, 1980 cn 6  
55 Dikembe Mutombo C 7-2 245 June 25, 1966 cd 17 Georgetown University
4 Luis Scola PF 6-9 240 April 30, 1980 ar 1  
13 Von Wafer SG 6-5 210 July 21, 1985 us 3 Florida State University
8 James White SF 6-7 200 October 21, 1982 us 1 University of Florida, University of Cincinnati
96 Metta World Peace SF 6-6 260 November 13, 1979 us 9 St. John's University

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, NowThis said:

what an awesome lineup 2008-2009, effectively Yao's last year.  Won 53 games. 

No. Player Pos Ht Wt Birth Date   Exp College
12 Rafer Alston PG 6-2 171 July 24, 1976 us 9 California State University, Fresno
17 Brent Barry SG 6-6 185 December 31, 1971 us 13 Oregon State University
31 Shane Battier SG 6-8 220 September 9, 1978 us 7 Duke University
0 Aaron Brooks PG 6-0 161 January 14, 1985 us 1 University of Oregon
43 Brian Cook PF 6-9 234 December 4, 1980 us 5 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
15 Joey Dorsey PF 6-8 268 December 16, 1983 us R University of Memphis
44 Chuck Hayes C 6-6 240 June 11, 1983 us 3 University of Kentucky
2 Luther Head PG 6-3 185 November 26, 1982 us 3 University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
14 Carl Landry PF 6-9 248 September 19, 1983 us 1 Purdue University
7 Kyle Lowry PG 6-1 196 March 25, 1986 us 2 Villanova University
1 Tracy McGrady SG 6-8 210 May 24, 1979 us 11  
11 Yao Ming C 7-6 310 September 12, 1980 cn 6  
55 Dikembe Mutombo C 7-2 245 June 25, 1966 cd 17 Georgetown University
4 Luis Scola PF 6-9 240 April 30, 1980 ar 1  
13 Von Wafer SG 6-5 210 July 21, 1985 us 3 Florida State University
8 James White SF 6-7 200 October 21, 1982 us 1 University of Florida, University of Cincinnati
96 Metta World Peace SF 6-6 260 November 13, 1979 us 9 St. John's University

Had Yao not gotten hurt versus the Lakers, I think the Rockets could have come out of the West and beat the Magic for that title. That playoffs San Antonio shit the bed against Dallas who in turn stood no chance against Denver who made it to the conference finals losing to the Lakers. It was the farthest Carmelo Anthony ever got in the playoffs.

The top 6 Western Conference teams all won at least 50 games that regular season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...