Jump to content
Sbbruin

2019 All-encompassing PAC 12 thread

Recommended Posts

Might as well get this started.  A catch-all thread for us wayward P12 fans.  I have been intentionally avoided my typically offseason immerson in all things UCLA football.  It's just too damn depressing.

 

Our resident windowlicker commissioner Larry Scott is in discussions on another of his brilliant ideas to go along with our many 7:30p and 8p kickoffs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally I would vastly prefer a 9am kickoff to a 7:30p or 8p kickoff, but a) I'm old and wake up early every day anyway; and b) I live less than 10 mins from the Rose Bowl, so I could still get there 2 hours before kickoff.  But it would not be good for overall attendance, and students would probably total about 12.  Unless of course they decided to open up Brookside and the other adjacent fields to overnight camping, in which case it would be lit af and shit would get super ugly...and fun.  But no way they would really do that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reason for optimism?  Great, we have a lot of starters back.  But will they be better players?  I have decided to take an optimistic approach.  If we can be better up front, we will be better everywhere.  Gotta take that first one on the road in Cincy against one of the better G5 teams.

Pac-12 Returning Starters:

Oregon -- 17

UCLA -- 17

Arizona -- 16

Oregon State -- 16

Utah – 16

Arizona State -- 15

Washington State -- 12

Colorado – 11

USC – 11

Cal -- 10

Stanford -- 10

Washington – 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, not trying to shit over the entire conference, but other than Oregon, Washington, and maybe Stanford, are there any teams in the conference that have a legitimate chance of being a top 10 team by the end of the season? What has happened to this conference?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bevoball said:

Okay, not trying to shit over the entire conference, but other than Oregon, Washington, and maybe Stanford, are there any teams in the conference that have a legitimate chance of being a top 10 team by the end of the season? What has happened to this conference?

USC is down and none of the other programs have been consistent powers over their history.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Machinator said:

USC is down and none of the other programs have been consistent powers over their history.

I understand USC being down, the school's management of the football department since Carroll left has been laughably bad. But with all the talent that is on the west coast, and with Utah having their Polynesian ties, you'd think at least two or three of the programs out there would rise out of mediocrity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bevoball said:

Okay, not trying to shit over the entire conference, but other than Oregon, Washington, and maybe Stanford, are there any teams in the conference that have a legitimate chance of being a top 10 team by the end of the season? What has happened to this conference?

Wazzu finished last year in the top 10 in both AP and coaches polls. 

BTW they also have 4 straight wins against Oregon and three against Stanford.  Against UW not so much...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mind the 9am start time idea. In Berkeley, ya, attendance would be bad... but attendance hasn't been great for a while. Perhaps it will pick up this year since the team is on an upward trend. 

 

But my PAC team that I follow the most anyway, CU, has already said they've expressed interest in the idea. 10am mountain time once a year is no big deal. I agree the overall concept is a little silly, but you can't deny that early game gets a few more viewers on the east and it gets the sports replays talking PAC the rest of the day, moreso than they otherwise would. 

 

And personally, hell ya, I'd take it. I'm always up early anyways, so let me get some tailgate omelette, an early game, and I'll be back home to get drunk and watch the prime time afternoon and evening games. Sounds great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well there is no way in hell (pardon the pun) that a home ASU game starts at 9:00 AM before November.  Can't drink all day unless you start in the morning I suppose.

 

Really the most important thing to remember though is AU blew a 19-point 4th quarter lead last year to end the season.  It was delicious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2019 at 11:34 AM, Hornius Emeritus said:

Maybe they could offer free granola, artisanal coffee, and avocado toast.

Nah, make it a homeless shelter that weekend and offer dry toast and Tic Tacs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SDG said:

BTW they (Wazzu) also have 4 straight wins against Oregon and three against Stanford.  Against UW not so much...

All of this is true. And very good.

Utah will be very salty this year. Would not be surprised to see them win the conference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, flatdawgs said:

All of this is true. And very good.

Utah will be very salty this year. Would not be surprised to see them win the conference. 

Maybe, but Wazzu also has a 4 game win streak against Utah.  Maybe ML’s Mormon/BYU roots bring a little something extra to that game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/25/2019 at 11:23 AM, Hornius Emeritus said:

A 9:00 a.m. game in Berkeley would have an attendance of about 263 people. 

A 2:30 game has about 264 people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

A 2:30 game has about 264 people.

The football culture in Berkeley is... well, it's not there. I never got too invested in Cal football despite spending more time on that campus than any other. On the rare occasion that they're good the atmosphere can be a lot of fun. But otherwise I definitely watch Colorado and Baylor much more religiously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, LTbear said:

The football culture in Berkeley is... well, it's not there. I never got too invested in Cal football despite spending more time on that campus than any other. On the rare occasion that they're good the atmosphere can be a lot of fun. But otherwise I definitely watch Colorado and Baylor much more religiously.

How could anyone smart enough to find Cal on a map still watch (present tense) Baylor football except to hope for the wrath of God to smite it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Magus Ossis said:

How could anyone smart enough to find Cal on a map still watch (present tense) Baylor football except to hope for the wrath of God to smite it?

Well, my undergrad was from there, so it's pretty straight forward my friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LTbear said:

Well, my undergrad was from there, so it's pretty straight forward my friend.

I have a good friend who is also an alumnus. He refuses to send them a red cent until they come clean. They sent a representative to town to reassure him about the response and that Baylor would be doing all the right things right before another one of the embarrassing official mishandling stories broke. If Texas were continuing to do what Baylor has/is, I’d throw all my orange in the trash and put my diploma in a black bag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

I have a good friend who is also an alumnus. He refuses to send them a red cent until they come clean. They sent a representative to town to reassure him about the response and that Baylor would be doing all the right things right before another one of the embarrassing official mishandling stories broke. If Texas were continuing to do what Baylor has/is, I’d throw all my orange in the trash and put my diploma in a black bag.

I'll never disown Baylor. The events that happened were disgusting and shocking, and I did what limited amounts (mostly lots of phone calls and email) someone who's not a big donor could. Firing Briles, getting rid of McCaw and somewhat pushing Starr out were all essential, and the millions they've poured into improving policies and resources is a step in the right direction. I get some people's rage, but the university's impact has been overwhelmingly positive for some 200,000 alumni. In my case, I was a poor as shit kid from a middle of nowhere town, no one in my family had ever gotten themselves out of poverty, and I grew up scared as shit I'd end up the same. I got into Colorado and Texas in high school - the two schools I had circled as the goal - but eventually realized I couldn't afford living in Austin or Boulder (I'd always known I'd be working full-time to support myself through college). Visited Baylor on a whim. Eventually Baylor stacked enough merit and need-based aid together to cover tuition, fees, books and then some. I still had to work full-time all four years, but with the cost of living in Waco, I could pull it off. I made best friends there and had amazing professors- even professors who remembered me instantly five years post-graduation when I walked into their office unnanounced. The opportunity Baylor have me eventually got me into a CU masters, a Stanford fellowship, and a Berkeley PhD, and my undergrad degree has been very well respected at every stop. I have an amazing life now and it started with Baylor enabling me to take that first step forward. 

 

So yes I know that's some long-winded shit you don't care about, I'm just saying that ya, of course I root for the Bears. 99% of the people I've ever known associated with BU are great people, and the fact that several people in high positions were scum doesn't change the 99%, nor does it change how much the university has done for my life. 

 

But anyways, I'm tired of responding to the same idea, that people suppose I should just abandon a university that's changed my life. You hate Baylor, I get it, no worries. Hopefully my view makes sense, and that's the last I'll say on the matter (this post is largely in response to multiple people, not entirely you). Have a good one friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coach Pete is kinda being a dick.  Gonna cost the kid a year of eligibility.  

Quote

UCLA quarterback Colson Yankoff, who transferred from Washington, has so far been unable to obtain immediate eligibility for this season, according to sources.

The primary snag in the 6-4, 205-pound Yankoff becoming immediately eligible is, in fact, the University of Washington.

Even though there is a new, easier NCAA process for transferring, which includes the NCAA transfer portal, all conference and NCAA transfer rules still apply.

The Pac-12 has its own rule that intra-conference transfers must sit out a year.  Any player transferring between Pac-12 conference schools who wishes to not sit out would have to compel his original school to waive that intra-conference penalty before his case even gets to the conference or NCAA level.  

In May, after Yankoff entered the transfer portal, the University of Washington informed him it would not support a waiver of the intra-conference rule. This was done in writing, without Yankoff having yet requested a release from the rule, according to sources.  

Yankoff and his attorneys appealed, which led to a hearing conducted internally by the University of Washington. Ultimately, Washington administrators denied Yankoff’s appeal.

With Yankoff having transferred to UCLA, UCLA's compliance office could file an appeal with the NCAA, and is preparing one, according to sources close to the situation. The NCAA has, in appeals cases, historically on occasion overrode the decision of the original school, but it's rare. 

Washington could still grant Yankoff a waiver for immediate eligibility at any time.  The Pac-12 conference and the NCAA would then have to also sign off.  The NCAA also has its own rule that transfers have to sit out a year before being eligible, but commonly the NCAA doesn't enforce the rule if the original school waives the intra-conference penalty. 

Yankoff, who was a four-star prospect in the 2018 high school class out of Coeur d’Alene (Idaho), didn’t play in his first season at Washington last year, and utilized his available redshirt year for sitting out the season. With his transfer to UCLA, if Yankoff can't gain eligibility for the 2019 season, he will lose a year of eligibility, and be eligible to play as a redshirt sophomore at UCLA for the 2020 season.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/2/2019 at 11:57 AM, Sbbruin said:

Reason for optimism?  Great, we have a lot of starters back.  But will they be better players?  I have decided to take an optimistic approach.  If we can be better up front, we will be better everywhere.  Gotta take that first one on the road in Cincy against one of the better G5 teams.

Pac-12 Returning Starters:

Oregon -- 17

UCLA -- 17

Arizona -- 16

Oregon State -- 16

Utah – 16

Arizona State -- 15

Washington State -- 12

Colorado – 11

USC – 11

Cal -- 10

Stanford -- 10

Washington – 9

Just don't get embarrassed by OU again, mkay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Just don't get embarrassed by OU again, mkay?

Not only will we not be embarrassed, we will win the game outright.

spacer.png

Gotta love pre-season.  Hope springs eternal.  But we have a history of pulling off big upsets at home.  Beat #3 Alabama and 2 weeks later #3 Michigan in 2000. I was there at both and it was awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love our new punter, transfer from Maryland.  31 year old Aussie Wade Lees.  Seems super cool and stoked to be here.  And if he can actually punt, that would be super.  Punting, sadly, has been one of our strong suits for years.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a stupid idea.  But that's Larry Scott for ya.  But I have heard that each team would at most play one of these games every 3 years, so I could live with that.  I'm 10 mins from the Rose Bowl, so I wouldn't have any issue getting there in plenty of time to pregame.  But not the majority of people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

It's a stupid idea.  But that's Larry Scott for ya.  But I have heard that each team would at most play one of these games every 3 years, so I could live with that.  I'm 10 mins from the Rose Bowl, so I wouldn't have any issue getting there in plenty of time to pregame.  But not the majority of people.

 

You'll be able to bring a hammock to that game and string it between empty seats.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Machinator said:

 

IIRC, Washington's first night game was 1992.  They had always resisted night games because so many of the season ticket holders were from well outside the Seattle area.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PAC needs to show out this weekend if it is ever going to shed its recent image of also ran.  Need to go at least 4-1  wtih:

UCLA@UC

Utah @ BYU

Northwestern @ Stanford

Oregon v Auburn

Fresno St @ SC

Let's hope it's W,W,W,W,L

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Back in the Elway days kickoff was 11 am and it was great. 

9 am - would be a fun novelty.  Bloody Marys and cava.

 

It would suck on the west coast with our traffic.   I’m a Washington season ticket holder who lives outside of the Central Puget Sound area and have made it explicitly clear to the AD that 9am is out of the question.

  If they want to open up the parking lots and Union Bay preserve to camping and RVs maybe I’ll be amenable to it....  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

PAC needs to show out this weekend if it is ever going to shed its recent image of also ran.  Need to go at least 4-1  wtih:

UCLA@UC

Utah @ BYU

Northwestern @ Stanford

Oregon v Auburn

Fresno St @ SC

Let's hope it's W,W,W,W,L

Fuck Oregon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, but Troy blessed us with a kick ass weight room. Cuz he wanted us to get hard. Not soft like Cal. And he personally landed us Chip Kelly. I'll take Troy all day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2019 at 5:36 PM, Sbbruin said:

Coach Pete is kinda being a dick.  Gonna cost the kid a year of eligibility.  

 

Jesus. Just grant him eligible. It's not like they're beating UW, anyway. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...