midtown

Washington DC

I found a 4.5 star boutique hotel on hotwire for $88 with fees and taxes etc it's $425 for 3 nights.  Odds are its the Kimpton George Hotel behind the Capitol    Any reason not to jump on this?

2 hours ago, midtown said:

I found a 4.5 star boutique hotel on hotwire for $88 with fees and taxes etc it's $425 for 3 nights.  Odds are its the Kimpton George Hotel behind the Capitol    Any reason not to jump on this?

I have not stayed there but have stayed at 4 other Kimptons in DC. 

3 of the 4 were fine -- I think the one that sucked was called the Rouge.  Best were the Mason & Rook and Monaco, which I would stay at again.  Overall, most Kimptons are fine provided you are OK with the location. 

On 9/13/2018 at 1:26 PM, Sandman said:

Our tour is at either 7:30 or 8:30, so hopefully we won't be in line that long.

So how was it? Just got my confirmation today for a month from now 

4 minutes ago, seven said:

So how was it? Just got my confirmation today for a month from now 

It was fine. Didn't have to stand in line too long but the process of getting inside took longer than the tour. So many security checkpoints, which is understandable. The gift shop is a desk with a hutch on the side, pretty hilarious. Lots of portraits, which are cool IMO. 

I'm glad I went, just so I can say I've been inside but it wasn't some amazing experience. Pretty vanilla.

how early would one have to get in line at the Bureau of engraving to get a ticket?   I definitely want to do that with my son. 

21 hours ago, midtown said:

Yes that area is fine plus you can drink at the Dubliner until you run out of money, and then at the Irish Times until you die.

Shout out to Sami's coffee near the State Department. Coffee dang never made me overdose and go to the hospital.

Just now, BadgerHorn said:

BLT and Rare are my favorites in that area

Rare is very good but I prefer BLT. It's just a more steakhouse vibe. Plus the popovers are fucking insane.

Have not been to the BLT there, but went to The one at the Ritz in Aruba.  I can confirm that the popovers are amazing.  Oh — and the steaks were good

Staying three days next week at Liaison Capitol Hill (a couple of blocks north of the capitol). Other than a blitzkrieg tour of the Smithsonian, and the grilled cheese place, no idea what else we'll be doing.

If you had just that short a stay, what would you take your family to see? We're more into quirky than serious, fwiw, at least when it comes to non-Smithsonian type sites.

What's in walking distance of the capitol that most folk overlook?

20 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Staying three days next week at Liaison Capitol Hill (a couple of blocks north of the capitol). Other than a blitzkrieg tour of the Smithsonian, and the grilled cheese place, no idea what else we'll be doing.

If you had just that short a stay, what would you take your family to see? We're more into quirky than serious, fwiw, at least when it comes to non-Smithsonian type sites.

It doesn't get overlooked but the Newsuem is shutting down at the end of the year.  May want to check that out before it is gone.  The Spy Museum is cool.  Definitely do the monuments at night.

Often overlooked is the Botanical Gardens on the southeast side of the Capitol.  Not quirky, but a nice place to visit, free, and rarely crowded.  After you go, you can walk the monuments at night as suggested above.

52 minutes ago, PhillyD said:

Often overlooked is the Botanical Gardens on the southeast side of the Capitol.  Not quirky, but a nice place to visit, free, and rarely crowded.  After you go, you can walk the monuments at night as suggested above.

Right up my alley. The family makes fun of me because my favorite ride at Disney World is "Living on the Land."

1 hour ago, txhorns said:

It doesn't get overlooked but the Newsuem is shutting down at the end of the year.  May want to check that out before it is gone.  The Spy Museum is cool.  Definitely do the monuments at night.

Damn - didn't know that.  That sucks.   We saw it last year and thought it was great.

55 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Right up my alley. The family makes fun of me because my favorite ride at Disney World is "Living on the Land."

It's on the southwest side.  I said southeast but need to correct to southwest.

9 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Don't know that its overlooked, but hit up the Eastern Market. 

47 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

I’m sure it’s already been suggested in this thread, but Rasika is awesome.

Best Indian restaurant in America x and we’ve eaten at so many high-ranking ones.

On 10/28/2019 at 9:13 AM, Walden Ponderer said:

Best time to visit the Vietnam Memorial was after night falls imo. 

We pulled into town right at the tail end of the Nationals' victory parade. It was kinda weird, honestly -- all these solemn monuments all around, and something so mundane in the middle of it all. Good mental prep for running into McDonald's and Starbucks down here, too, I guess.

3 hours ago, Walden Ponderer said:

We pulled into town right at the tail end of the Nationals' victory parade. It was kinda weird, honestly -- all these solemn monuments all around, and something so mundane in the middle of it all. Good mental prep for running into McDonald's and Starbucks down here, too, I guess.

I was walking up 14th week before last and laughed to myself because I never noticed that one block actually has two Starbucks on it.

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Walmart at 9 pm on a Saturday night was an interesting experience. I didn't realize how many Dominicans live here.

No need for a time frame.

If you go to the National Parks Service station (there's one by the Washington Monument), you can get a Junior Ranger pamphlet. It's got activities for the kids to do, and they get a badge after completing it.

There are pamphlets for each historic site (National Mall, Fords Theater, White House).

^You can also collect the stamps from each national park/monument/site.  Ink stamps not postage stamps.  You can get a bunch of them at that lodge below the Washington Monument.

Kids and retired old people and my wife collect them anywhere we go.

large-2-9000c.jpg

Passport-national-parks-Book-first-stamp