Stephen King’s “The Stand”

futureman

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I maintain that King is so good at developing characters and enmeshing the reader with them, that people are just bound to be annoyed with his endings.

This is my take. He created such an interesting story with interesting characters that he never figured out how to end it. Maybe he didn’t want to.This is true for a lot of his books, but the stand is the most obvious.

• 1 month later...

I watched it.  The casting seems pretty good so far and it seem like it’s well produced, but I’m not sure I like the way it jumps back and forth in the timeline. I’m still not convinced that Whoopi is going to be right for the part, but I’ll reserve judgement until I see her.  I wasn’t blown away by it, but wasn’t disappointed either.

I agree about the time jumps.  I know that's the cool thing these days, but it's a better story when told in a linear fashion and letting the story unfold naturally.  The production is good and I mostly like the casting but the director made a bad choice to start half way through the story.

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

CBS all access. 5.99 a month. Womp womp.. 

This is a good time to subscribe.  If you haven't watched Star Trek Discovery, you have 3 seasons (season 3 ends 1/7) + The Stand runs through 2/11.  It's a good 2 month investment for $12 + tax.  (Plus if you cancel before your first month is over, they usually offer you a free month to stick around) 

That's just foregoing two Whataburger trips. Hold the mayo @futureman

Watched the first two episodes and I must say that they have done an amazing job with this.  They took one of my favorite books and managed to make me lose interest in all of the characters.  Who ever decided on jumping around in the timeline should be forced to watch the new WW movie on an endless loop.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Watched the first two episodes and I must say that they have done an amazing job with this.  They took one of my favorite books and managed to make me lose interest in all of the characters.  Who ever decided on jumping around in the timeline should be forced to watch the new WW movie on an endless loop.

your first sentence filled me with such hope. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Exactly how I feel. The time jump ain’t doing it for me. 

21 hours ago, Js1 said:

Hahahaha Tom Cullen in an OU jacket. Dying 

The OU thing is funny, but their treatment of that character is unbearable. Terrible miscast and horribly acted. As cheesy as the first television miniseries was, the casting was much better IMO. I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I’ll never see a faithful and well done version of The Stand, which is fine because not even King himself could write a good ending. 

8 minutes ago, Whitewater Horn said:

The OU thing is funny, but their treatment of that character is unbearable. Terrible miscast and horribly acted. As cheesy as the first television miniseries was, the casting was much better IMO. I’ve resigned myself to the fact that I’ll never see a faithful and well done version of The Stand, which is fine because not even King himself could write a good ending. 

I agree. This Cullen sucks. Just glad they put an OU jacket on him as he yells that he’s developmentally disabled. Overkill as the OU logo tells you that 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 1/9/2021 at 8:48 PM, Js1 said:

I’m not feeling it yet.  The flashbacks serve no purpose and take me out of it completely. They really fucked up how to tell this story 

Dang...I'm waiting till they're all out so I can get a sub and binge it. Hate to hear it's not knocked out of the park.

8 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I made it through 2 episodes before losing interest entirely.  I'm going to be very sad if I have the same reaction to Dune.

Only thing keeping me invested is wanting to see the alternate/extended ending.  So many storyline changes with no purpose except to skip major moments in the book.  I wasn't expecting to see The Kid, but why completely change the Andros backstory? Why skip Nebraska and go straight to Boulder?  Reminds me of a middle management pencil pusher introducing a new way of doing things for no reason but to justify his job.

10 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I made it through 2 episodes before losing interest entirely.  I'm going to be very sad if I have the same reaction to Dune.

Shut your mouth about Dune. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...

I am through the 2nd episode and I agree the jumping around is annoying as shit.  I guess they assumed everyone watching this has already read the books and knows what happens so they don't need to worry about setting the scene?  I'm not sure how long I'll last with this one.

That being said; Heather Graham is pretty damn hot for 50.

Edited by Jimbaround

2 hours ago, Jimbaround said:

I am through the 2nd episode and I agree the jumping around is annoying as shit.  I guess they assumed everyone watching this has already read the books and knows what happens so they don't need to worry about setting the scene?  I'm not sure how long I'll last with this one.

That being said; Heather Graham is pretty damn hot for 50.

I think the lack of discussion here after 6 episodes says it all. 

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn't even really a new ending it was just adding something to it which could have been alright if it wasnt delivered in such a terrible way. 

Somehow this was worse than the CBS Under the dome adaptation which is impressive, considering how awful that was. 

Edited by Juicy

2 hours ago, futureman said:

ruin it for us.  what happened?

Spoiler

[spoiler] Franny fell down a well, and Cojack went all Lassie to save her, and then there was a "daughter abigail" who healed her so they could have a season 2 [\spoiler]

Edited by Juicy

10 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I bailed after episode two so I didn't see the "new" ending, but wasn't it the ending that King added to the book after publication?

I only read the "complete" version that came out on one of the anniversaries. I don't remember this being in the book at all. 

9 hours ago, Juicy said:

It wasn't even really a new ending it was just adding something to it which could have been alright if it wasnt delivered in such a terrible way. 

Somehow this was worse than the CBS Under the dome adaptation which is impressive, considering how awful that was. 

I’m glad I saw this before wasting my time. Doesn’t mean it won’t end up being wasted, but I’ll be “forgetting” to mention we have all access and that it’s out now. 

Under the Dome was alright, but not great. 

Honestly, most of King’s work ends up straight cheese that even a B movie looks at, tilts the sun glasses down, and goes, “Damn! That’s some straight up cheese shit right there.”

Have there been good films off his work? Of course. But for all the Shawshanks and Green Miles out there, the good ones are running pretty damn thin. 

The new IT films were better than most. At least they tried and did pretty well overall. Not superstar, but at least not complete cheese. 

Dark Tower was disappointing AF.