Non-Texas Recruiting Notes and Highlights: 2019 Edition

Machinator

https://insidethegators.com/s/1200/the-new-recruiters-on-the-block

Wonder if we do something similar to this with our recruiting class.

The 2020 class decided if they were going to do this recruiting thing, they were going to do it right; so they got out a map. Each player gets an area that’s “his” so to speak. Defensive tackle Gervon Dexter‍ is responsible for Polk County. Defensive end Josh Griffis‍ is responsible for those in his IMG area. So on and so forth. If there are two players in the same area, they’ve worked out a diplomatic solution.

Jaquavion Fraziars‍, a Dunnellon native who had to give up the Gainesville-Ocala area to Leonard Manuel‍, explains. “Between two people in the area that wanted the area, we flipped a coin to see who got it. It was a hard process, it was hard.” And don’t move in on someone else’s guy. Dexter once began talking to a prospect who was considered Fraziars' territory. “I hit up the quarterback and he didn’t really like it,” laughs Dexter. “He just said the same thing I always tell him, he told me to stay in my area.” Dexter later returned the sentiment when Fraziars moved in on Dexter’s guy. 

30 minutes ago, CHEF RIBS W/ THE HAMM YALL said:

Does anyone have the math for SEC defenses in their conference games vs. the 4 Big 12 bowl games?

Asking for myself.

Ugh, lazy assholes on here. I have had a drink or two so this is probably wrong but still. I have to leave the house so I didn't analyze but looks like all the defenses suck.

Remember UGA had 67 yards on 5 plays in garbage time with about 1 minute left in the game, and a TD they didn't really deserve.

1492mo1.gif

• Like 2

On 2/6/2019 at 10:20 PM, texifornia said:

Man, piling onto the SC misery - their QB take was a 3-star spare from Arizona - #711 recruit in the country. 

https://247sports.com/player/kedon-slovis-46041446/

This when the LA area seems to produce 3-4 polished bluechip QBs a year (and they all seem to be blond, named Matt, and go to Mater Dei or Oaks Christian). Ouch.

That’s the school that HOF’er Kurt Warner coaches the qb’s at. His son is a freshman or sophomore on that team. 

1 hour ago, CHEF RIBS W/ THE HAMM YALL said:

Ugh, lazy assholes on here. I have had a drink or two so this is probably wrong but still. I have to leave the house so I didn't analyze but looks like all the defenses suck.

Remember UGA had 67 yards on 5 plays in garbage time with about 1 minute left in the game, and a TD they didn't really deserve.

1492mo1.gif

Looks good other than maybe Texas-UGa points are reversed.  It's pretty clear that it was the Big XII offenses dictating the scoring pace, rather than the SEC defenses in these match ups.  Even true in the Sugar Bowl since Texas is more of a ball control offense and tough defense team design than most of the conference.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, texifornia said:

@sushihorn knows the limits of fatball

Fatball: I like it and I'll probably use it to troll the mouthbreathers.

But it's a much more complex phenomenon than that.  Bama has a pretty big team but it's been getting smaller over the last few years as Saban has moved away from that model and he's one of the few who can get huge athletes that give up less in speed and quickness.  It's really more the teams trying to copy Bama (or what Bama used to be) that are the heart of SEC Fatball.

2 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

But it's a much more complex phenomenon than that.  Bama has a pretty big team but it's been getting smaller over the last few years as Saban has moved away from that model and he's one of the few who can get huge athletes that give up less in speed and quickness.  It's really more the teams trying to copy Bama (or what Bama used to be) that are the heart of SEC Fatball.

Much as I'd love to take credit, @randygilman is the inventor of "fatball" in this context

4 minutes ago, sushihorn said:

Well, LSU is still taking the largest possible linemen they can find.

2 hours ago, sushihorn said:

Looks good other than maybe Texas-UGa points are reversed.  It's pretty clear that it was the Big XII offenses dictating the scoring pace, rather than the SEC defenses in these match ups.  Even true in the Sugar Bowl since Texas is more of a ball control offense and tough defense team design than most of the conference.

U right. That's what i get for 5 mins of work. Here's the update. Looks much nicer now.

Untitled.gif

• Like 2

For five consecutive years (2014-2018) USC landed the #1-ranked class in the Pac-12 (in 2013 they finished second despite taking just 12 recruits). This year, they've fallen to the 4th-ranked class in the conference despite landing a full class of 25. Brutal stretch for them.

Edited by satyanash

10 minutes ago, satyanash said:

For five consecutive years (2014-2018) USC landed the #1-ranked class in the Pac-12 (in 2013 they finished second despite taking just 12 recruits). This year, they've fallen to the 4th-ranked class in the conference despite landing a full class of 25. Brutal stretch for them.

Things are about to get really bad for USC imo, I think its going to be worse for them than it even was for us. They landed a transition type class even though they didn't actually fire the head coach. They'll still have an actual transition class coming up once they finally fire Helton, that's going to be back to back years of barely top 20/25 classes. 

Our recruiting never collapsed to that extent, even with Strong sucking shit through a straw on the field. Keeping Helton was such a mistake.

The good news is the PAC 12 sucks and USC still has one of the most talented rosters. Plus they added a decent offensive coordinator. 

I wouldn't be shocked at all if Helton has a good enough year to survive. 

A 8-4 to 9-3 type year would be perfect for Texas. Decent enough to survive but not good enough to attract the top tier guys on the west coast. 

I see Nebraska football is still based on being okay with having shitheads on the team, too bad they don't have the wins to go along with it anymore.

An investigator on the case said the Sheriff’s Department has been unable to interview Washington during the months-long investigation after making requests through the University of Nebraska’s Athletic Department, as well as Washington’s former attorney, Jon Bruning, who is the former Attorney General of Nebraska.

The investigator said Bruning questioned whether charges would actually be filed against his client when contacted last fall by the Sheriff’s Department.

“The general air was, ‘Is this really as big of a deal as you’re making it?’” the investigator said. “I explained to him that we do take these cases very seriously. Cases like this can have severe consequences, especially for the victims, throughout their entire lives, and we were investigating wholeheartedly because of that fact.”

Bruning, reached Friday by NBC Bay Area, declined to comment on the case.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

I see Nebraska football is still based on being okay with having shitheads on the team, too bad they don't have the wins to go along with it anymore.

Washington’s former attorney, Jon Bruning, who is the former Attorney General of Nebraska.

Funny how a California/Texas kid was able to find and retain him.

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Maurice Washington was the #207 recruit in the nation and nobody from Texas wanted him. Who could have predicted this?

Look for a repeat with LSU stonewalling an investigation and some high power Baton Rouge attorney representing a former Texas blue chipper nobody in-state wanted.

8 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I remember back in the dawn of the internet. 20/20 had just done a show on that Lawrence kid who beat the shit out of his girl friend. I can still see the mailbox doors crushed in and the board between not crushed. Smh. 

I found myself in a Nebraska chat room and asked what people thought. 

All those fuckers defended him. Said i was exaggerating it. Fuck those guys. 

2 minutes ago, NorLa Horns said:

I remember back in the dawn of the internet. 20/20 had just done a show on that Lawrence kid who beat the shit out of his girl friend. I can still see the mailbox doors crushed in and the board between not crushed. Smh. 

I found myself in a Nebraska chat room and asked what people thought. 

All those fuckers defended him. Said i was exaggerating it. Fuck those guys. 

Lawrence Phillips? He ded.

Composite top 100 recruit Nick Cross flipped from FSU to in state Maryland. That leaves Tennessee commit Anthony Harris (academic), Aggy commit Braeden Mowry (academic), and Darren Jones (academic) are the last 3 top 300 recruits to not sign. 

https://247sports.com/player/nick-cross-46041611/

https://247sports.com/Player/Anthony-Harris-46048967/

https://247sports.com/player/braedon-mowry-46037121/

https://247sports.com/Player/Darren-Jones-46044731/

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, maninblack said:

Nahlin went no. 29 for [Langston] Anderson on the IT top 100 in Texas. I think he’s basically a 5-star WR prospect, especially given that he’s going to Oklahoma State. He’s Mossing DBs regularly on his film when they’re able to arrive when the ball does, that tended to only ever happen because the throws were slow and late as routes usually began with Anderson blowing by people. Anderson is also really physical, throwing some nasty blocks for other guys on screens as well as sending out some stiff-arms to would be tacklers. He was totally overpowered for his level of play and probably will be in the Big 12 as well.

Well ok then

3 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well ok then

247Sports in particular had Anderson as a Top 100 prospect. Their review of him is pretty glowing:

Scouting Report: I used several playoff games for this and I’m going to start out with what you give, you get or what you reap, you sew. Meaning is Anderson will fit in nicely with the Oklahoma State receiver corps because he blocks. Anderson benefits plenty from teammates blocking for him because Heritage used him a lot on quick pass and screen pass concepts. It was important to see what he was doing when he was not the target and had blocking responsibilities and he was aggressive and showed good technique, he even had a few de-cleaters putting defenders on the turf. He has strong ball skills and catches the ball well, presents a good target. He has track, straight speed, but also in the quick and screen game shows the ability to make people miss in close quarters. He is used often in jet-action sweeps or flips and has good vision, several times turning the run up, even inside the tackles when it opened early. One good example was against Life Waxahachie on a scoring run inside the 10. He is an inside receiver with outside size and skill set. Route running (especially in situations where he is not targeted) will be his avenue to work on and improve along with overall work. Not the finished product, but he shouldn’t be, and he is an excellent talent has a chance to follow in the supreme line of Cowboys receivers.

Evaluation: Good size with enough frame space to get north of 200 pounds. Well-rounded playmaker who can hit the home run in the vertical passing game, or take the short throw to the house. Tested very well in a combine environment (4.57 in the 40, 4.25 in the shuttle, 39 1/2-inch vertical). Plays very strong. Bully with the ball who runs like a back after the catch. Combines impressive athleticism with physicality. Does not always go down on first contact. Consistent hands catcher who tracks the ball well in the vertical game. Has shown promising high-pointing ability and body control. Can work from the outside or the slot. A bit stiff through the hips on the field and can improve overall fluidity. Short and screen game effectiveness to date is largely attributed to strength and straight-line explosion. Needs to add some short-area quickness to get open against high-caliber defensive backs. If he adds consistent dart-and-dodge ability, watch out. Ceiling trending up entering college with eventual NFL Draft potential.