Non-Texas Recruiting Notes and Highlights: 2019 Edition

Machinator

10 hours ago, rvm96 said:

@Doc Sam Beckett what's with the 6 LB commits in Clemson's class this year? Are some spin down candidates?

9 hours ago, George Clooney said:

It looks like they only signed two last year and none in 2017.

Yeah Clemson needs to replenish the LB core. There are 7 LB on scholarship right now, 2-3 are depth chart guys, and 2-3 will for sure be gone after this next season, either graduating or going pro.

Out of the 6 LB signed in 2019, one projects as a TE, and one was signed based on measurables and camp performance. I think Clemson takes another 3 LB in 2020... 

8 hours ago, Machinator said:

One interesting thing I found is Wilfong has Leal, Dylan Wright, and Demani RIchardson as 5*'s but not not Kenyon Green. Also, Bobby Burton's is interesting to look at. He has Bragg is the #2 player in the country. 

Edited by rvm96

4 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

One interesting thing I found is Wilfong has Leal, Dylan Wright, and Demani RIchardson as 5*'s but not not Kenyon Green. Also, Bobby Burton's is interesting to look at. He has Bragg is the #2 player in the country. 

I missed it the first time around, but the TCU mod, Jeremy Clark, had Max Duggan (their QB take) as a 5*: https://247sports.com/UserRanking/Jeremy-Clark-9174/UserPlayerRankings/

• Haha 1

Part of an ongoing series by MichiganInsider on crazy recruiting stories

(Sam Webb) Recruiting Tales (Part 5): U-M Lost Jai Eugene to the 'Bag Man'

From 2003 to 2007 Florida safeties coach Ron English served as the defensive backs coach (03-05) and defensive coordinator (06-07) at the University of Michigan. During a recent interview with The Michigan Insider English reflected upon some noteworthy recruiting misses during his time in Ann Arbor. In part five he recaps the story of late decommitment of former five-star defensive back Jai Eugene in 2006. If you missed parts one through four of this series, be sure to check out English's account of Demarco Murray wanting to come to Michigan,  Desean Jackson being a 'done deal' for the Maize & Blue, that time Michigan turned down Beast Mode, and When Ronald Johnson decommitted.

Ron English: “So we're on Jai Eugene (at Michigan), and he's a good player. We want him, and we needed him, and all that stuff. Fred Jackson recruited Louisiana, so we're going to go down (together) and see him. We go down after Katrina and Fred drives me around one of the wards, and I've never seen anything like it. It's like The Wizard of Oz. You're seeing cars tucked into second story windows, and in trees, and all that. It was crazy. But you go down to the French Quarter and they had taken care of all of that. So anyway… (back to) Jai Eugene, we go to Destrehan, we go to the school, and we finally get Jai committed. In fact, Jai Eugene commits to us on national TV at the Army Game. Now, we go (back) down to his school… I go down… this is January. One of the recruiters down south, he was at Tennessee… (he said), ‘what’s up Ron? How are you doing man? Hey, you know (Eugene’s recruitment) is just starting now? Whoever has the biggest bag is going to win.' At that time I didn't really believe that kind of stuff was going on. I didn't know. I thought it was just talk.”

“But Jai stays committed, and we go down to the final weekend. Now it's Monday… it’s either Monday or Tuesday of the signing week, and Wednesday is Signing Day. Fred comes to my office (and says),’ Ron, you've got to talk to Jai. He's talking about he's not coming. You’ve got to talk to him’ Of course I love Fred. I start immediately chuckling. Just like this (I said), ‘Jai, what's going on man?’ (Eugene said), ‘Coach, they came to the birthday party on Sunday… and you know my daddy just got out of jail and they got him a job, and they got my momma a house, and they said they were going to take care of my baby. I gotta go to LSU. I said, ‘Jai, you do. You gotta go to LSU.’ And he goes to LSU.”

“And Bo (Schembechler) was… oh my God! Bo was mad, because Bo heard about it.  And Bo said… I’m not going to tell you what he said. Bo said a lot of stuff, and Bo was so mad. He was mad. Bo heard about it… Bo was mad. He was the old Bo on that one. He was mad for real. It wasn’t no fake mad. He was mad, and he made some statements that came true. He made some statements that came true… let me just put it like that.”

• Like 2

12 hours ago, satyanash said:

Reveal hidden contents

From 2003 to 2007 Florida safeties coach Ron English served as the defensive backs coach (03-05) and defensive coordinator (06-07) at the University of Michigan. During a recent interview with The Michigan Insider English reflected upon some noteworthy recruiting misses during his time in Ann Arbor. In part five he recaps the story of late decommitment of former five-star defensive back Jai Eugene in 2006. If you missed parts one through four of this series, be sure to check out English's account of Demarco Murray wanting to come to Michigan,  Desean Jackson being a 'done deal' for the Maize & Blue, that time Michigan turned down Beast Mode, and When Ronald Johnson decommitted.

Ron English: “So we're on Jai Eugene (at Michigan), and he's a good player. We want him, and we needed him, and all that stuff. Fred Jackson recruited Louisiana, so we're going to go down (together) and see him. We go down after Katrina and Fred drives me around one of the wards, and I've never seen anything like it. It's like The Wizard of Oz. You're seeing cars tucked into second story windows, and in trees, and all that. It was crazy. But you go down to the French Quarter and they had taken care of all of that. So anyway… (back to) Jai Eugene, we go to Destrehan, we go to the school, and we finally get Jai committed. In fact, Jai Eugene commits to us on national TV at the Army Game. Now, we go (back) down to his school… I go down… this is January. One of the recruiters down south, he was at Tennessee… (he said), ‘what’s up Ron? How are you doing man? Hey, you know (Eugene’s recruitment) is just starting now? Whoever has the biggest bag is going to win.' At that time I didn't really believe that kind of stuff was going on. I didn't know. I thought it was just talk.”

“But Jai stays committed, and we go down to the final weekend. Now it's Monday… it’s either Monday or Tuesday of the signing week, and Wednesday is Signing Day. Fred comes to my office (and says),’ Ron, you've got to talk to Jai. He's talking about he's not coming. You’ve got to talk to him’ Of course I love Fred. I start immediately chuckling. Just like this (I said), ‘Jai, what's going on man?’ (Eugene said), ‘Coach, they came to the birthday party on Sunday… and you know my daddy just got out of jail and they got him a job, and they got my momma a house, and they said they were going to take care of my baby. I gotta go to LSU. I said, ‘Jai, you do. You gotta go to LSU.’ And he goes to LSU.”

“And Bo (Schembechler) was… oh my God! Bo was mad, because Bo heard about it.  And Bo said… I’m not going to tell you what he said. Bo said a lot of stuff, and Bo was so mad. He was mad. Bo heard about it… Bo was mad. He was the old Bo on that one. He was mad for real. It wasn’t no fake mad. He was mad, and he made some statements that came true. He made some statements that came true… let me just put it like that.”

This reads like a hamm level piece. I am assuming English is retired? I don’t think coaches would appreciate the out and out call outs about buying said players if he was still actively coaching. An absolutely absurd premise unless they are also including the players Michigan bought.

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Apologies if it's already been discussed, but I'm curious if anyone knows how Mack Brown is doing at UNC?  I know he entered their recruiting picture late, so I'm just wondering if he's had any success there yet?

They flipped Sam Howell from Florida State.

There's a lot of excitement right now, but as we know, the true effects won't be seen until Mack's first full class.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Apologies if it's already been discussed, but I'm curious if anyone knows how Mack Brown is doing at UNC?  I know he entered their recruiting picture late, so I'm just wondering if he's had any success there yet?

Not really.  #30 ranked class for 2019 (Herman's transition class was ranked #25).  Only 2 commits for 2020 and neither is a big name.  With Tim Brewster joining the reunion tour that is obviously subject to change.

• Like 1

Barton Simmons: 13 new four-stars in the class of 2019

Less than one week out from national signing day, the clock is ticking for any final ranking tinkering in the class of 2019. While the final Top247 for the cycle is completed and locked, the 247Sports team has been working to update final state rankings and canvas the country for any elite talent that may have slipped through the cracks. That process has yielded a few more last-minute four-star bumps. As we continue to sort through the final state and position rankings, here are 13 new four-stars that caught our attention.

Illinois defensive end signee Seth Coleman

As a senior, Coleman had 101 tackles, 28 tackles for loss and 13 sacks. He flashes elite explosiveness on the basketball court and it translates to the football field on film. Coleman looks like an absolute steal for Illinois out of Florida.

UCF defensive end signee Dallaz Corbitt

A raw, upside defender with fantastic length at 6-foot-5-plus, Corbitt has a basketball background and outstanding edge athleticism that had seven sacks as a senior. We feel like his upside is worth betting on.

Ohio State running back signee Marcus Crowley

Crowley has good size, enough speed and ridiculous production. As the Gatorade player of the year in a state as talent rich as Florida, it seems appropriate to trust the 2,200 yards rushing and 10 yards per carry as a senior.

Oklahoma State defensive end signee Trace Ford

Ford was a guy we loved all the way back in the spring as an edge rusher at The Opening Dallas regional. He tested well, put together good film and as a three-sport athlete that’s just getting started in his physical development, we believe he can be an elite edge rusher in the Big 12.

NC State running back signee Zonovan Knight

We were extremely impressed with his performance at the Shrine Bowl practices and game which just validated a senior season in which he averaged a ridiculous 16 yards per carry.

South Carolina athlete signee Xavier Legette

Likely a wide receiver at the next level, we love Legette’s athleticism and versatility. The three-sport athlete rushed for 1,800 yards as a senior at quarterback and with his size, he could really emerge as one of the sleepers in this class.

Notre Dame linebacker signee Marist Liufau

A guy that impressed us with senior tape, Liufau really cemented his four-star bump with a dominant week at the Polynesian Bowl. He could be a redshirt candidate as he develops physically but we think he will be special when it comes together for him at Notre Dame.

Syracuse cornerback signee Cornelius Nunn

A defender with cornerback or safety versatility that has shown outstanding ball skills on offense as well, Nunn has potential to be an immediate impact guy at Syracuse.

Mississippi State offensive line commit Darius Washington

There is a reason Mississippi State is clawing to hang on to Washington, an athletic offensive lineman that bends really well and gets after defenders in the run game. Mississippi State stole a Mississippi kid from Florida State in Charles Cross now the Seminoles are trying to repay the favor for Washington out of the Seminoles’ backyard.

Virginia wide receiver signee Dontayvion Wicks

A big-bodied offensive skill player that has shown explosive athleticism on the basketball court and has experience in high school at both quarterback and receiver, Wicks really emerged for us as a senior.

Louisiana defensive line signee Kendall Wilkerson

A massive prospect with a 6-foot-5, 275-pound frame that can do a backflip at that size. He had 95 tackles and 10 sacks as a senior on a state championship team and we love the upside he brings as a major Group of Five steal.

MTSU defensive end signee Darius Williams

We love the class MTSU put together, particularly with what they did in South Carolina and Williams leads the way. He’s an ultra-competitive, do-everything type of high school talent that excelled in basketball as well and we think he’s a potential NFL guy down the road.

Baylor linebacker signee Will Williams

Williams plays high school football in El Paso. There aren’t many programs that make the trip to El Paso. We haven’t seen much of him in person as a network but based on what we do know, Williams looks like an elite talent. He ran 4.4 at Baylor’s camp over the summer, he has safety athleticism, good length, will hit you and we think he will be special in Waco

35 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Barton Simmons: 13 new four-stars in the class of 2019

Hide contents

Less than one week out from national signing day, the clock is ticking for any final ranking tinkering in the class of 2019. While the final Top247 for the cycle is completed and locked, the 247Sports team has been working to update final state rankings and canvas the country for any elite talent that may have slipped through the cracks. That process has yielded a few more last-minute four-star bumps. As we continue to sort through the final state and position rankings, here are 13 new four-stars that caught our attention.

Illinois defensive end signee Seth Coleman

As a senior, Coleman had 101 tackles, 28 tackles for loss and 13 sacks. He flashes elite explosiveness on the basketball court and it translates to the football field on film. Coleman looks like an absolute steal for Illinois out of Florida.

UCF defensive end signee Dallaz Corbitt

A raw, upside defender with fantastic length at 6-foot-5-plus, Corbitt has a basketball background and outstanding edge athleticism that had seven sacks as a senior. We feel like his upside is worth betting on.

Ohio State running back signee Marcus Crowley

Crowley has good size, enough speed and ridiculous production. As the Gatorade player of the year in a state as talent rich as Florida, it seems appropriate to trust the 2,200 yards rushing and 10 yards per carry as a senior.

Oklahoma State defensive end signee Trace Ford

Ford was a guy we loved all the way back in the spring as an edge rusher at The Opening Dallas regional. He tested well, put together good film and as a three-sport athlete that’s just getting started in his physical development, we believe he can be an elite edge rusher in the Big 12.

NC State running back signee Zonovan Knight

We were extremely impressed with his performance at the Shrine Bowl practices and game which just validated a senior season in which he averaged a ridiculous 16 yards per carry.

South Carolina athlete signee Xavier Legette

Likely a wide receiver at the next level, we love Legette’s athleticism and versatility. The three-sport athlete rushed for 1,800 yards as a senior at quarterback and with his size, he could really emerge as one of the sleepers in this class.

Notre Dame linebacker signee Marist Liufau

A guy that impressed us with senior tape, Liufau really cemented his four-star bump with a dominant week at the Polynesian Bowl. He could be a redshirt candidate as he develops physically but we think he will be special when it comes together for him at Notre Dame.

Syracuse cornerback signee Cornelius Nunn

A defender with cornerback or safety versatility that has shown outstanding ball skills on offense as well, Nunn has potential to be an immediate impact guy at Syracuse.

Mississippi State offensive line commit Darius Washington

There is a reason Mississippi State is clawing to hang on to Washington, an athletic offensive lineman that bends really well and gets after defenders in the run game. Mississippi State stole a Mississippi kid from Florida State in Charles Cross now the Seminoles are trying to repay the favor for Washington out of the Seminoles’ backyard.

Virginia wide receiver signee Dontayvion Wicks

A big-bodied offensive skill player that has shown explosive athleticism on the basketball court and has experience in high school at both quarterback and receiver, Wicks really emerged for us as a senior.

Louisiana defensive line signee Kendall Wilkerson

A massive prospect with a 6-foot-5, 275-pound frame that can do a backflip at that size. He had 95 tackles and 10 sacks as a senior on a state championship team and we love the upside he brings as a major Group of Five steal.

MTSU defensive end signee Darius Williams

We love the class MTSU put together, particularly with what they did in South Carolina and Williams leads the way. He’s an ultra-competitive, do-everything type of high school talent that excelled in basketball as well and we think he’s a potential NFL guy down the road.

Baylor linebacker signee Will Williams

Williams plays high school football in El Paso. There aren’t many programs that make the trip to El Paso. We haven’t seen much of him in person as a network but based on what we do know, Williams looks like an elite talent. He ran 4.4 at Baylor’s camp over the summer, he has safety athleticism, good length, will hit you and we think he will be special in Waco

4 ACC players (Counting ND)

3 SEC

2 Big 10

2 Big 12

1 AAC

1 CUSA

0 Pac 12

Want to know where the recruiting services' bread is buttered?

On 1/30/2019 at 6:44 PM, satyanash said:

Hide contents

It is high comedy that Michigan Insider published an interview in which the Wolverines are done in by the dastardly bagmen of SEC country. So fucking rich. 

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Lulz. This was the guy EJ claimed he was the first to find because he was out in the field scouting practices. He raved about this guy for a solid year and now he’s going to Kansas. Just another sign that EJ can’t evaluate to save his life.

Edited by Burt Macklin
Katfid is a racist

1 minute ago, texasstrong12 said:

Parker is a big get for Kansas but his recruiting ranking is odd  given TCU, Texas, A&M and Baylor had little no interest. 

I'm interested to see how he does at Kansas. Either all the in-state schools missed on him or his recruiting ranking is off. 

His ranking is off. EJ pimped this kid to 247. The fact that not a single in-state school besides Tech even tried to get him, says it all.

Just now, Burt Macklin said:

This was the guy EJ Callie she was the first to find because he was out in the field scouting practices

I'm not totally sure that's correct, because when you consider the that his wasn't not if he appreciates the if when he plays defense but not because he won't play he doesn't even have with what egalitarianism.

Just now, Katfid54 said:

I'm not totally sure that's correct, because when you consider the that his wasn't not if he appreciates the if when he plays defense but not because he won't play he doesn't even have with what egalitarianism.

Damn you. Clearly, I’m terrible at typing on my phone, but at least I can tell the difference between Beyoncé and Condoleezza Rice. 

30 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lulz. This was the guy EJ claimed he was the first to find because he was out in the field scouting practices. He raved about this guy for a solid year and now he’s going to Kansas. Just another sign that EJ can’t evaluate to save his life.

He was our backup backup plan at DE - We were sniffing around when Myron Warren was still undecided.

20 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He was our backup backup plan at DE - We were sniffing around when Myron Warren was still undecided.

Yep and yet we never even offered. The staff was extremely hesitant to offer/recruit him much, just like almost every other staff in-state.

Not to mention, Warren was kind of the backup plan to the backup plan...luckily that worked in our favor.