Big Green Egg & Other Ceramic Grills All Encompassing Thread

Mac8111

Got my Primo XL out of storage where its been sitting for nearly 2 years. Replaced the thermostat and gasket and ran it at high heat for an hour or so to clean it up a bit.

Jacksonville BBQ sucks ass, so I’ve been looking forward to a proper brisket for a year+. Happy to discover our Costco had prime packers for $3/lb so I grabbed a 14lber to smoke tonight when I get home from poker.

Couldn’t find B&B so I got some cheap Royal Oak for grilling and also one I’ve not heard of called FOGO that I’ll use tonight. I also grabbed some bags of hickory and mesquite but prob won’t use them tonight. Thoughts?

I think in previous cooks I used the divider and just put coals on one side. Is this right or does it take the full box for a ~15 hr cook at 225-250?

I recall I want to keep the fire small so I’m not choking it. Assuming I fill the whole box, where do you suggest lighting it? Center or one side? High in the coal, middle or buried under it all?

Thanks for the help in advance

Picked up some Prime beef short ribs at Costco this morning - $4.99/lb.  The beef ribs I did a few weeks ago from HEB were Select and they were probably $3/lb. They were really good, but I have no doubt the Prime will be better.  Planning on smoking salmon tomorrow morning - most of which will be vacuum sealed and saved for later.  One more practice run with the last slab of Select beef ribs for dinner tomorrow.

If anyone is planning for the holidays, both Costco and HEB has Prime brisket for $2.99/lb.  Costco has fresh Butterball turkeys for .99/lb.

I'm smoking a spatchcock chicken indirect today on a large BGE I bought used from a family friend.

I'm having a hell of a time getting the temp stable. Trying to hit 350-375 for an hour or so. Have both external and internal probes set up (Smoke).

Bottom vent wide open. Top cap wide open. Can only reach about 320 or so before ambient temp stalls. When I take cap off temp soars fairly easily, but can't hit my temp goal.

Cooking with fresh lump and some oak chips I threw in there. Started off with a completely cleaned out set up. Zero ash/debris when I lit the fire.

Any advice on stabalizing at 350-375 with this set up?

Not sure where I'm goimg wrong. Funny thing is, it's nice and dry outside with a good breeze hitting that bottom vent. I'm guessing there's an airflow problem between bottom vent and top cap.

Might have too much lump in there.
You gave me too much credit.

I figured out what I was doing wrong...using only tiny openings of top cap while ignoring the feature that allows one to slide the cap from side to side for max ventillation.

Didn't figure this out until I fortuitously threw some dogs and sausage on the grill. I lowered the dome down after checking the links and noticed that the cap can slide. Learning moment.

On a side note, my dad -- who I texted several times during the ordeal -- was shocked by my idiocy. Again.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I smoked a prime rib on Christmas. 120* then pulled it and wrapped it til 130*. Brought the primo up to 550*, reversed the grill to get it close to fire and attempted a reverse sear. Within 2-3 mins the flames were eating it up. Burned myself taking it out well before the 9 mins planned. Not sure WTF happened. Meat didn’t burn, fortunately, but I don’t think I’ll try that again.

Because i never cook it? I can't eat beef, so i rarely cook it. Temp dropped to 275. Don't think i can wait long enough to drop it farther.

Key is to pull it out at 120* and it will rise to 130* while resting ~30 mins.

Lightly tent in foil to rest, not tight like brisket

• Like 1

Nice! Curious if you’ll taste it. I’ve just been using apple juice

Put mine in right at midnight and just pulled it off, 10 hrs later wo wrap. Tried to hold 225* but couldn’t stop the creep to 235* about halfway in. Resting 90 mins in foil/towel/oven before lunch

That's the weirdest looking brisket I've ever seen. Did you cut a whole in half?

It wasn’t a whole packer but it had a flat and point. Had been trimmed by the store. I mentioned up thread how I was worried how it would come out and wanted to experiment with a smaller piece of meat.

An ad for the Arteflame Grill insert has been popping up for me. Intrigued, I am.  I've been using a round cast iron griddle but I like the design of this allowing you to get the meat over the flame if you want while cooking. 
Arteflame-HP-Slider-10_x800.jpg?v=1542360390

I’m a sucker for accessories. That thing is interesting. Get one and tell us about it.

I want to buy a digi q type device for my BGE.  Any reccos on the best one?  And price?

I have the one you can see in my pics above. I think it was around $200. Well spent. You can even connect it to your iPhone and computer via WiFi but I’ve not tried to set it up.

• 2 weeks later...