Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Helobious

2020 WS Champion New York Yankees Season Thread

Recommended Posts

Thread title says it all, calling my shot. Vegas currently has the Yankees basically tied with the Dodgers as the favorites to win the whole thing. I don't see anyone in the Yankees way. The Red Sox had a great team, then punted to just being a good team for no reason. Curse of the Bettsbino, Sox are about to enter a long title drought. Now that the Astros can't cheat as easily and they lost Cole, they'll be struggling to make the postseason. The Twins should be good, but the Yankees are their dad come playoff time. 

Pitching: Gerrit Cole is finally a Yankee, and the rock that they needed in their rotation. Paxton & Tanaka are good at 2 and 3. It's doubtful Severino pitches in 2020, but he could be a good bullpen/swingman option towards the end of the season if he makes it back. Bullpen should be a strength as always. 

Lineup: All the same dudes as last year, plus Miguel Andujar. The only 2 true black holes in the lineup will be Stanton and Hicksner (Gardner/Hicks CF combo), everyone other than that is pretty stout. No Encarnacion this year will be a big boost to the offense as well. 

Minors: Jasson. Dominguez. Widely regarded as the best international prospect ever, he barely turned 17 this month. He hit a fucking mammoth home run during a rainstorm in his first professional AB last year, which has to be a sign. He's built like a D1 running back already and is really turning heads in pre-season workouts so far. Will be a star one day. Rest of the system is slowly improving after being depleted through promotions and trades in recent years. Pitchers Deivi Garcia, Clarke Schmidt, and Albert Abreu should all see time in the Bronx this year. 

Here's a #HelobiousGem you won't find on any prospect lists or anything... Carlos Verdecia. Small-time amateur signing last year, he had a very strong showing in the DSL as a 17 year old. OBP of .415 and walked more than he struck out. When he blows up later, remember you heard it here first. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I 1000% switched Sevy & Paxton. Sevy should be good for opening day, Paxton is the one that likely won’t pitch this season. It don’t make a shit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Helobious said:

I 1000% switched Sevy & Paxton. Sevy should be good for opening day, Paxton is the one that likely won’t pitch this season. It don’t make a shit.

Helobious starts the season right where he left off

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like you Helo and your insight,  but you may have jinxed the season.   

I'll call Pedro.

 

spacer.png

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, torre said:

I like you Helo and your insight,  but you may have jinxed the season.   

I'll call Pedro.

 

spacer.png

 

 

 

Jinxes & curses only work if you believe in them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Helobious said:

Jinxes & curses only work if you believe in them. 

Kinda like “Yankee Magic”, huh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait, how is Stanton a “black hole” in the lineup? He could very easily be the best hitter in the team.

Edited by Hank Chinaski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Wait, how is Stanton a “black hole” in the lineup? He could very easily be the best hitter in the team.

He fucking sucks. A strikeout machine that’s injured all the time. I’d be shocked if he plays more than 30 games this year. If there’s a prop bet that has the O/U on Stanton hitting 10 homers this year, jump on the under. Easy money.

Judge is a strikeout machine too but at least he makes contact better & plays good defense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Helobious said:

That could not be more useless. Computers don’t understand that the majority of the Astros success recently was due to cheating. And now they can’t do it as easily. There’s no saber-stat for that. 

Lulz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Helobious said:

He fucking sucks. A strikeout machine that’s injured all the time. I’d be shocked if he plays more than 30 games this year. If there’s a prop bet that has the O/U on Stanton hitting 10 homers this year, jump on the under. Easy money.

Judge is a strikeout machine too but at least he makes contact better & plays good defense. 

I mean, I get that it's frustrating that he misses so many games...but in 17-18 he played in 159 and 158 games and hit 97 HR with almost 12 fWAR. For his career he is 42% better than the average hitter. 

Not sure if you're trying a reverse jinx here or if you actually think he "sucks"...but when he plays he generally produces at an all-star or MVP level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He doesn’t believe in WAR, hates everyone that doesn’t hit .600 each week, blows a save, etc. Just his thing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really? You don’t believe in WAR, you do actually believe Giancarlo, Gardner, & Aroldis suck, you hated CC.

I actually don’t despise you like most of this board, I just accept your limitations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Judge is a strikeout machine too but at least he makes contact better & plays good defense. 

He doesn’t make nearly as good contact as he did in 2017 though. I winder what he was doing differently that season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

He doesn’t make nearly as good contact as he did in 2017 though. I winder what he was doing differently that season?

Healthier obliques/shoulders/quads.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ss13 said:

Really? You don’t believe in WAR, you do actually believe Giancarlo, Gardner, & Aroldis suck, you hated CC.

I actually don’t despise you like most of this board, I just accept your limitations. 

I’ve largely forgiven Aroldis, he was up against a bunch of guys that knew what pitch was coming.   But he’s still unreliable for the most part. Hated CC until he Tyrone Swoopes’d himself. Limited player that dedicated himself to finding a new way to help the team. I actually do think Gardner & Stanton suck though.

I don’t hate WAR, I just don’t autoerotically asphyxiate myself to the thought of it like you, beau, huck, and most everyone else on the board does. I know a great player when I see one, I don’t need a statsheet to tell me. Stats don’t tell the whole story about a player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harlingen Helob calling his shot. Will you be arranging a victory parade in the RGV or coming up to Manhattan for the ticker tape. Oh that's right, y'all still have to beat the Astros.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forget Beau, Huck, & I. The entire baseball community knows it’s a meaningful/valuable stat. You’re stuck in your bubble, like I said, I accept your limitations. 

To honestly believe that Giancarlo fucking Stanton sucks only hurts you in the eyes of everyone else that truly follows the sport. But do you bro, I’ll still be around to discuss the Yankees on here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I’ve largely forgiven Aroldis, he was up against a bunch of guys that knew what pitch was coming.   But he’s still unreliable for the most part.

Everybody on the planet knew what pitch was coming to Altuve. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Helobious said:

That could not be more useless. Computers don’t understand that the majority of the Astros success recently was due to cheating. And now they can’t do it as easily. There’s no saber-stat for that. 

exactly, so how do we account for the Yankees cheating and the Red Sox? 

"I was part of a system...the pitch was relayed to the dugout from upstairs, and then relayed to the hitterrrrrrr.....second base"  Dougie G to the A-Roid II

DURING LIVE PLAY

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cole will win 13 games or less this year.

The A’s may challenge the Stros for the west, but let’s face it, the Astros have that thing locked down for next 5 to 7 years. 

Astros line up is still pretty good. Dusty never had a lineup this good from top to bottom.
Never liked the way Hinch toyed with the lineup. If they were so prolific at cheating why was AJ always jacking with the line up.

Mid season he was still trying to find a line up that worked, and no we are not talking righty lefty matchups he moves just never made sense. 

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Helobious said:

I actually do think Gardner & Stanton suck though.

Make an objective argument that Giancarlo Stanton "sucks." 

I'll make one that he doesn't without involving WAR:

He has a 142 career wRC+, meaning he's been 42% better at the plate than an average player. Since 2010, that places him 8th in MLB, and that number is about the same as Juan Soto and Paul Goldschmidt. He also has a 144 OPS+. 

He has led his league in SLG% 3 times.

He has 308 HR going into his age-30 season. 

 

 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I applaud your efforts Hank, but it’s almost as futile as dealing with your boy DD on the other threads. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Wait, how is Stanton a “black hole” in the lineup? He could very easily be the best hitter in the team.

Good for 80 HRs if he were an Astro.../smdh.

 

also, Gardner should be all in on dugout banging.  Hate that melonheaded tantrum thrower.

Edited by Iceman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ss13 said:

I applaud your efforts Hank, but it’s almost as futile as dealing with your boy DD on the other threads. 

The dumbest thing is that I'm an Astros fan on Helobious's "Yankees are gonna win" thread trying to convince him that a Yankees is player is actually damn good. Nothing about this makes any sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank fucking god the MFY have already been cblocked and they haven't even faced a single pitch in spring training yet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Make an objective argument that Giancarlo Stanton "sucks." 

I'll make one that he doesn't without involving WAR:

He has a 142 career wRC+, meaning he's been 42% better at the plate than an average player. Since 2010, that places him 8th in MLB, and that number is about the same as Juan Soto and Paul Goldschmidt. He also has a 144 OPS+. 

He has led his league in SLG% 3 times.

He has 308 HR going into his age-30 season. 

 

 

Yeah, but remember that time he struck out in the 9th against the Red Sox?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2020 at 9:25 PM, Helobious said:

Now that the Astros can't cheat as easily and they lost Cole, they'll be struggling to make the postseason.

care to make it interesting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

care to make it interesting?

I made a similar overture on the MLB thread but retracted it after remembering that he’s a welcher. He vowed to ban himself from all baseball boards if Encarnacion got a hit during the Astros series. That lasted 2 days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2020 at 12:06 AM, Helobious said:

I 1000% switched Sevy & Paxton. Sevy should be good for opening day, Paxton is the one that likely won’t pitch this season. It don’t make a shit.

Helo nails it

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2020 at 8:12 PM, Helobious said:

Lulz at Stros fans commenting on honor & sports. 

What’s a little steroids between friends right?

Will Chapman fight his wife again?

Edited by ChickenSandwich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...