thunderlounge

So I got a WSM...

Those were a good while back, but I'm pretty sure I ran around 305ish.  I think Champ went even higher, but I'm not sure on that one.

Cut my time down roughly 2 - 3 hrs.

Before that I ran around 285.

I’m not sure why but tonight’s baby back ribs were some of the tastiest I’ve ever done.

431bd6203837db34e2f18cd12a2f737e.jpg

Nothing fancy. 225 for four+ hours. Brushed them with some vinegar/brown sugar about half way to keep them from drying out and then some bbq sauce w 30 min to go.

First time for a whole chicken. Came out good. Nice Smokey flavor and meat was moist and tender.

If you brine any bird before smoking it will be nice and juicy. I have been accused of undercooking my turkey because "there's no way it can be this moist". Bullshit there isn't. 

Today is the first day to use B&B briquettes. Damn this sure seems to burn a lot cleaner than Kingsford. When I use the blue bag in my chimney starter, I smoke out the entire yard. These B&Bs are damn near burning clean in the starter. So far I am pleased. 

2 hours ago, TornACL said:

If you brine any bird before smoking it will be nice and juicy. I have been accused of undercooking my turkey because "there's no way it can be this moist". Bullshit there isn't. 

Today is the first day to use B&B briquettes. Damn this sure seems to burn a lot cleaner than Kingsford. When I use the blue bag in my chimney starter, I smoke out the entire yard. These B&Bs are damn near burning clean in the starter. So far I am pleased. 

When the last of my Kingsford  is gone, I am going to give this a try.  Glad to know what reviews are saying are true based on your input.

I've done a half dozen racks of spares recently, and I'm definitely coming around to the "pull 'em sooner" perspective.  Yesterday's were great, but they were DONE.  Like, almost black, as in brisket bark.  Small areas of the bark were hard, but most of it was fine.  The meat was fantastic.

This was ~ 5 hours, with the 18" WSM onboard thermometer climbing from ~ 200 F to ~ 250 F over the course of the cook.

5 hours ago, pch said:

When the last of my Kingsford  is gone, I am going to give this a try.  Glad to know what reviews are saying are true based on your input.

Just as a quick follow up, I just finished up an 8 hour smoke on the WSM and 3/4 of the briquettes are still unburned. 

Seems if I did a full ring and chimney of B&B I could smoke for 30 hours without adding fuel.