Dallas Cowboys 2018 offseason thread

DougO

1 hour ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Not a cowboys fan but I am wondering when they will sign Kenny V.. I feel like it's a solid fit and I assume where he would want to be. Make it happen Jerry. 

I suspect Kenny is looking for a contract he isn't going to get at this point. Uf the price was right, you would have to take him here.

27 minutes ago, DougO said:

There's something about the Cowboys, maybe it's coaching, but the lack of development seems far too frequent. We see a number of players in and out that show some real promise in their rookie season, but never take another step, even regress. It has become far too common.

I just don't see anything changing without a real HC. Doing the smart thing, like hiring a real GM who will hire a real HC is smart shit that the fecals did...and hey it got them a SB but it's shit Jerry won't do bc he can't get 100% of the credit that way

• Like 1

Maybe these new underling coaches they hired under the coordinators will be better at coaching young guys up and developing them. Just something to cling to for false hope, anyway.

Edited by DougO

2 hours ago, pacman said:

I suspect Kenny is looking for a contract he isn't going to get at this point. Uf the price was right, you would have to take him here.

The Cowboys are trying to sign Kony Ealy to basically a minimum deal and dont even have enough cap space to do that without restructuring someone (or cutting Dez). No way they have the money to sign the Centaur killer. 

1 minute ago, DougO said:

Patriots traded Brandon Cooks and got a 1 and change. Maybe they need another midget gimmick receiver like the guys they like to roll with. Give them a call, Jerry, and get something for Beasley.

Beasley makes too much for NE. They might offer something for Switzer though since Garrett is hell bent on never using the guy except on jet sweeps and punt returns. 

3 hours ago, DougO said:

He got a fair shot. They really tried to get him more snaps and catches, but he doesn't have good hands and brings nothing else to the table but some deep speed. He made a couple of nice plays, but he never could develop as a complete receiver.

This is pretty much it.  Everybody loves the backup QB, but there's generally a reason they're the backup.  Butler with enough snaps and false quantity could probably catch 50 balls somewhere but it'd probably be ineffectual.   He's really just a deep speed guy.  Didn't have very good hands, didn't run polished routes, and a rookie was a better blocker.

Not sure what you mean DougO(in regards to your earlier concerns not your last post). They’ve had several players develop, thus why they have to pay to keep them. Just look at Tank and Irving(who they found on KCs practice squad and developed). The OL has developed(Collins was not a good tackle when he started and then became one). 

They obviously have failed to deceloo some guys, but all teams have those issues.  The real issue is their inability to find depth in FA the last year or so. That was the biggest different between teams like the eagles being able to withstand injuries and the cowboys. 

The coaching issues are mainly schematic and adapting(as we’ve all said the last year).  I’m hoping the new voices make a difference, but I feel like they should have at the very least found a replacement for Linehan if Garrett wasn’t going to be canned. 

Edited by Drew

I'm talking about guys like Scandrick, Byron Jones, Anthony Brown,  Bruce Carter, Tyrone Crawford, Kyle Wilbur, Damien Wilson, Hanna, WIlcox, Swaim, Hitchens, Mark Nzeocha, Mo. Claiborne...all of these guys were considered steals and looked like they were going to be building block players. They were raved about. The peaked in their first or second year and then regressed. It's really fn' weird. It's not like they were just shitty from the beginning. They showed some real talent, then somehow forgot it.

Going back to the 2011 draft, remember how Bill Nagy and David Arkin looked like great picks with a bright future? They shit the bed and were gone in two seasons.

Maliek Collins took a step back last year. How about Dak Prescott?

Sure, Irving has been a find. But he's missed about half the games since he's been around for one thing or another. For everyDavid Irving there's a handful of guys like Cedric Thornton and Stephen Pea, Butler, etc...

Arkin was a 4th round pick so you hope to get something there but Nagy was a 7th round flier. 

Cowboys big problems are 

1) inconsistent drafting. Some decent finds are overshadowed by terrible drafts. Look at that 2015 draft. 

2) all that kicking the can down the road to maneuver around the salary cap means they have to keep players like Witten way past their prime at high cap numbers and Romo will still count 9 million in 2018 when he hasnt played hardly any football since the 2014 season. That kills them in potential free agency. They cant even enjoy their starting QB making nothing. 

• Like 1

Everyone saying the cowboys always have bad drafts, they are no worse than your average team. In fact, they’re a little better than your average team at drafting. Name a team that just knocks it out of the park every year on draft day. You can’t. Because it doesn’t happen. The draft is a crapshoot every year. 

Nobody would ever mistake me for being a Garrett apologist. I think he’s a below average head coach, and above all else, he’s stubborn to a fault. But some of you thoroughly enjoy complaining about the cowboys. Saying they should have drafted player x instead of player y is one thing, but saying we’re bad at drafting is laughable.

In my book the guy that has been a waste of money and needs to go because he has no meaningful upside vs the alternatives is Crawford.  If we sign Ealy or Gregory is good to go, I think we cut him for the cap savings and use that cash on someone else.  I have no idea if Kenny V would work in this system but he has to be better than what we have there right now right?

----

Collins took a "step back" because David Irving was playing the 3 tech and that pushed Collins to the 1 when he was on the field.  That's not a knock on Collins at all because Irving was a beast last year.

Dak most certainly took a step back and most of that is because teams took away Beasley.

Dez/Dak need to get on the same page and I think both are to blame for their problems tbh.  Dak doesn't consistently throw good balls on the routes Dez actually runs well and Dez doesn't run enough routes well enough.  That isn't a problem unique to Dez/Dak. 

3 hours ago, Amobie said:

Collins took a "step back" because David Irving was playing the 3 tech and that pushed Collins to the 1 when he was on the field.  That's not a knock on Collins at all because Irving was a beast last year.

I do agree that it's not Collins fault he got spun down to the 1 when he's clearly not that type of player. I personally don't think Collins is a high quality 3 down 3-Tech because he's been so mediocre against the run, but if he was just a 2-Deep DI pass rusher he's perfect for that. 

17 hours ago, In10se said:

Arkin was a 4th round pick so you hope to get something there but Nagy was a 7th round flier. 

Right. But I'm not talking about just busts or I could have made a much larger list. I mean guys that really looked like something, and then went backwards.

7 hours ago, Amobie said:

In my book the guy that has been a waste of money and needs to go because he has no meaningful upside vs the alternatives is Crawford.  If we sign Ealy or Gregory is good to go, I think we cut him for the cap savings and use that cash on someone else.  I have no idea if Kenny V would work in this system but he has to be better than what we have there right now right?

----

Dak most certainly took a step back and most of that is because teams took away Beasley.

Dez/Dak need to get on the same page and I think both are to blame for their problems tbh.  Dak doesn't consistently throw good balls on the routes Dez actually runs well and Dez doesn't run enough routes well enough.  That isn't a problem unique to Dez/Dak. 

Crawford is the new Spencer. They never should have invested a big new contract with him for such a short span of looking like a player and not finding a real position (see my previous posts about versatility usually being bullcrap).

Collins is just a decent player. He was way overblown, which is another Cowboys problem. They hype up their new guy too much and then think he's the answer and don't address the position again until they realize they had him overrated.

I'm not sure teams took away Beasley as much as Dak took away Beasley simply because he's not good at throwing to that type of route and target. That's why the Cowboys are trying to get bigger. Some of Dak's problems were with scheme, for sure. Some maybe due to a sophomore slump with more responsibility and a larger playbook. But he did regress, and only time will tell if he's one of those guys or if he gets out of it. But it's definitely there.

Beasley was always a gimmick guy, and boy they Cowboys love those, too, like secret weapon Lance Dunbar that hung around way too long. Romo got use out of Beasley, but he's gone, and they need to find Cole a place where he's a better scheme fit and get something for him.

• Like 1

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/4/3/17191484/three-ways-the-cowboys-coaching-staff-must-improve-in-2018

I think this in some (not all) says addresses how the coaches could improve certain things.

Number 1 just kills me bc duh?

Play the players who play the best

The best sports franchises don’t anoint players with playing time. Instead, every player competes to earn their role on the team. While the Cowboys talk a good game in this area their actions simply don’t support their message. Let’s look at several examples where the Cowboys stubbornly stuck with a preferred player who had clearly been outperformed by another player.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Everyone saying the cowboys always have bad drafts, they are no worse than your average team. In fact, they’re a little better than your average team at drafting. Name a team that just knocks it out of the park every year on draft day. You can’t. Because it doesn’t happen. The draft is a crapshoot every year. 

Nobody would ever mistake me for being a Garrett apologist. I think he’s a below average head coach, and above all else, he’s stubborn to a fault. But some of you thoroughly enjoy complaining about the cowboys. Saying they should have drafted player x instead of player y is one thing, but saying we’re bad at drafting is laughable.

I dont think you realize how poor many of their drafts over the last 10 years have been. Outside of having an ability to bat .1000 on drafting Olinemen in the first round they've been poor. Of course no team hits on every pick, but winning teams don't do things like whiff on an entire draft (2015), whiff on every second round pick except for one since 2010, and continually fail to find even quality backup level players in later rounds.

If you review all of their drafts since 2010 it becomes obvious why they are constantly having to scrape the bottom of the barrel to find guys to plug in to their team. They don't hit on enough players to even be contributors at any level and their complete bust rate is very high.

• Like 1

That was my point. They're good at finding first-round offensive lineman and hit a few Pro bowls with Dez and then 2016 Dak and Zeke, and anytime the Cowboys turn in a good season there's a pro Cowboys bias for the Pro Bowl.

The problem is if they don't hit on a top guy they completely bust. They don't find depth for shit in the draft the way teams who are consistently winning year in-and-out do. Go back and look at every draft since 2010 and you'll see for yourself

12 hours ago, In10se said:

That was my point. They're good at finding first-round offensive lineman and hit a few Pro bowls with Dez and then 2016 Dak and Zeke, and anytime the Cowboys turn in a good season there's a pro Cowboys bias for the Pro Bowl.

The problem is if they don't hit on a top guy they completely bust. They don't find depth for shit in the draft the way teams who are consistently winning year in-and-out do. Go back and look at every draft since 2010 and you'll see for yourself

The numbers don't show that.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/no-team-can-beat-the-draft/

Even the Pats aren't consistently drafting better than everyone else.  It's coaching, injuries, FA acquisitions and sometimes it's just luck.  The draft gets hyped but it's zeke getting suspended for 6 games or Garrett failing to give Chaz Green help that make the big difference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Amobie said:

Even the Pats aren't consistently drafting better than everyone else.  It's coaching, injuries, FA acquisitions and sometimes it's just luck.  The draft gets hyped but it's zeke getting suspended for 6 games or Garrett failing to give Chaz Green help that make the big difference.

Wait, are we bringing regressions into this shit?  Absolutely not.  This is not a place for science it's about my feelings!

• Haha 1

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/4/5/17201618/ot-mike-mcglinchey-de-arden-key-others-added-to-dallas-cowboys-pre-draft-visitor-list-2018-rumors

Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News provided an updated Top 30 visitor list yesterday that included Notre Dame OT Mike McGlinchey, LSU DE Arden Key, Virginia Tech safety Terrell Edmunds, and Ole Miss DE Breeland Speaks as the newest additions.

At the same time, Machota took Texas A&M WR Christian Kirk and Texas OT Connor Williamsoff the list, though that doesn't mean the Cowboys are not interested in the two players

It’s also important to remember that players like SMU wide receiver Courtland Suttondon’t usually get a 30 visit because they can participate in the Cowboys’ annual Dallas Day event for local prospects, which is Friday at The Star.

There are also prospects including Texas A&M wide receiver Christian Kirk and Texas offensive tackle Connor Williams who are not on the 30 list but confirmed at their Pro Days that they had visits or private workouts scheduled with the Cowboys.

To date, these are the players we know the Cowboys have invited for an official Top 30 visit (ranking taken from Dane Brugler's latest top 100 big board):

Unit Player Position School Proj. Round Brugler Rank
DL Harold Landry DE Boston College 1 13
Vita Vea DT Washington 1 27
Taven Bryan DT Florida 1 29
Da'Ron Payne DT Alabama 1-2 33
Arden Key DE LSU 2-3 68
Breeland Speaks DE Mississippi 3-4 - -
WR Calvin Ridley WR Alabama 1 11
D.J. Moore WR Maryland 1 14
James Washington WR Oklahoma State 2-3 65
Antonio Callaway WR Florida 4-5 - -
Daurice Fountain WR Northern Iowa 5-6 - -
OL James Daniels OC Iowa 1 17
Mike McGlinchey OT Notre Dame 1 28
Kolton Miller OG/OT UCLA 3-4 94
Cole Madison OG Washington State 5 - -
Desmond Harrison OT West Georgia 6-7 - -
LB Rashaan Evans LB Alabama 1 25
Leighton Vander Esch LB Boise St 1 26
Darius Leonard LB South Carolina State 3-4 100
Others Nyheim Hines RB NC State 3 79
Terrell Edmunds S Virginia Tech 3 90
Deshon Elliott S Texas 4-5 - -

LOCAL PROSPECTS INVITED FOR “DALLAS DAY”

Draft Scout Rank Name POS College Proj. Rd. Height Weight Source
161 Trey Quinn WR SMU 5 5-11 203 Todd Archer
-- Quan Jones WR Baylor FA 6-4 215 Twitter
-- Tejan Koroma OC BYU FA 6-0 290 Dane Brugler
-- Mason Gentry DT SMU FA 6-6 300 Twitter
2017 UDFA Matt Davis QB SMU -- 6-0 212 Jon Machota
2017 UDFA Dane Evans QB Tulsa -- 6-1 210 Jon Machota
2017 UDFA Jerod Evans QB Virginia Tech -- 6-3 238 Jon Machota
2017 UDFA Skyler Howard QB West Virginia -- 6-0 207 Jon Machota
2017 UDFA Seth Russell QB Baylor -- 6-3 220 Jon Machota

It’s not Garrett’s fault for reaching 3 rounds to draft a spare OL like green.

Last time I checked you typically draft linemen who can play one on one.

The cowboys have been terrible after the first round for two decades now.

2 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

Same guy who drafted Prescott also drafted Chaz Green.  Guys taken in the later rounds usually don't workout.  That's not a problem unique to Dallas.

Same guy who drafted Prescott also drafted Chaz Green.  Guys taken in the later rounds usually don't workout.  That's not a problem unique to Dallas.

I didn’t say later rounds, I’m talking the first 2-4 rounds you better get guys who can start for your team and the cowboys have been very bad after round one

• Like 1

They too often fall for the "1st round talent, but" after the first round.  You can occasionally take chances on those guys, but you can't spend every 2nd round pick on them.  There's nothing wrong with taking a 2nd round guy in the 2nd round.  It's how you build a complete roster.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amobie said:

They almost traded up to take Paxton Lynch in the first round. They got lucky on Dak. He should have gone second or third round. And we'll see soon exactly how lucky that really was.

31 minutes ago, kevwun said:

They too often fall for the "1st round talent, but" after the first round.  You can occasionally take chances on those guys, but you can't spend every 2nd round pick on them.  There's nothing wrong with taking a 2nd round guy in the 2nd round.  It's how you build a complete roster.

Right. One of their biggest failings is in their extremely flawed philosophy of the discount superstar in the second round. They need a guy to beat the odds and overcome something that knocked him down. There's a problem with always betting against the odds. Go try that in Vegas.

They need to start a new policy of only taking the best players without baggage or injury bugs in the second and third round for at least five years and start building some roster depth. The Cowboys have their star players, but they lose one guy and the whole thing falls apart at the seams, while other teams adjust and keep things somewhat together until they are at full strength again.

Edited by DougO

39 minutes ago, Mileslong said:

I didn’t say later rounds, I’m talking the first 2-4 rounds you better get guys who can start for your team and the cowboys have been very bad after round one

Exactly. And no team hits on all  or most of those picks by any stretch, but you get some good players fairly regularly. The Cowboys high risk philosophy leads them to very scarcely getting players that stick around past their first contract in those rounds.

Edited by DougO

2 minutes ago, DougO said:

Right. One of their biggest failings is in their philosophy of the discount superstar in the second round. They need a guy to beat the odds and overcome something that knocked him down. There's a problem with always betting against the odds. Go try that in Vegas.

They need to start a new policy of only taking the best players without baggage or injury bugs in the second and third round for at least five years and start building some roster depth. The Cowboys have their star players, but they lose one guy and the whole thing falls apart at the seams, while other teams adjust and keep things somewhat together until they are at full strength again.

yep...second round draft picks need to be starters in year 1, not rehabbing a knee from a college injury, not a knucklehead that can't keep his piss clean, and not a backup tight end 

You start taking chances in the 3rd or 4th round.

1 hour ago, DougO said:

Right. One of their biggest failings is in their extremely flawed philosophy of the discount superstar in the second round. They need a guy to beat the odds and overcome something that knocked him down. There's a problem with always betting against the odds. Go try that in Vegas.

Amen, you start taking chances in the 3rd round.

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Except we have an issue drafting early too. Jaylon Smith, Gregory, Taco and Byron Jones. Claiborne and Escobar.

I'll Jaylon Smith, Byron Jones,and Escobar. Everyone hated those picks. But Claiborne was the consensus best CB in that draft class. Every scout felt that way. Sometimes it's just a combination of injuries, guys working to get back from those injuries, losing confidence, etc. Everyone missed on Claiborne. It wasn't us. 

And if you wanna say they should've drafted Watt over Taco, I'll give you that too. It seemed like most people felt that way. But if you're already calling Taco a bust, I don't know what to tell you. He started playing better later in the year. I'm not saying he's going to play well, but I don't see how you can label him a bust already.

2 hours ago, Horny Bull said:

That's not a bad signing. He's never been starter quality on a good team, but has some pass rush ability to rotate in, and is insurance in case Taco doesn't take a step forward. He should be an improvement over guys like Mayowa and Moore and other's they've tried to get production out of.

5 minutes ago, DougO said:

Cap hit would be pretty tough after the horrendous deal they gave him a couple years ago. I hope they try to trade him to another sucker in need.

After June it's not that bad.  Mainly they need to get him out there so you don't have him stop the progress of guys who can actually rush the passer.  He was a viable 3 tech candidate but with Irving and Collins, we are covered for WAY less.  

Ealy was leading the league in batted passes on the shitty Jets team through November.  I really think he's got potential to get coached up.

DPrACBZXkAAzlMC.jpg:large

10 hours ago, kevwun said:

Motherfucking this. (Says the guy who didn't fault the Gregory or Smith picks at the time.)

11 hours ago, Mileslong said:

Jason Witten, Jay Ratliff, Marion Barber, Sean Lee, Ron Leary, Doug Free, Andre Gurode, Demarco Murray, Jason Hatcher, and a few others would like to talk to you about shit drafting after the first over two decades 

11 hours ago, DougO said:

They almost traded up to take Paxton Lynch in the first round. They got lucky on Dak. He should have gone second or third round. And we'll see soon exactly how lucky that really was.

I think Dak will be an exceptional QB as long as he has a healthy Ezekiel/ Dez at RB/ WR, & a good replacement for the aging Jame at TE (and healthy OL)...

22 hours ago, Amobie said:

While I do agree that coaching has a large impact on the performance of players that arbitrary Approximate Value stat he created to base the entire premise on is extremely flawed.  Because it takes total games played into account in a pretty significant way it is completely skewed by teams like the Cowboys who draft so poorly in finding depth that they are forced to play guys like a Chaz Green or Jeff Heath over multiple seasons because they are not able to properly replace them.

It is also skewed heavily by another of the Cowboys major problems: poor cap management. When a team like the Cowboys is constantly restructuring contracts on Aging performers it has two effects that skew that metric. The first is it restricts a team from signing a capable free agent to replace a poorly performing player, and secondly it gives players who should have a shorter shelf a longer career than they otherwise would have because the restructuring causes dead money to make a contract uncuttable regardless of performance.

Therefore, it will overvalue truly garbage players who cannot be replaced because the coaching and drafting is so poor. Chaz Green will likely score higher as a starter on a team with poor drafting skills than a capable backup player on a team that doesn't see as much action due to having a better player in front of him (i.e. the Eagle's back up LT and MLB). I like the attempt at creating this metric but unfortunately the input data is flawed buy precisely the issues teams like the Cowboys who are either home run or complete bust in the draft have.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, DougO said:

The Cowboys have their star players, but they lose one guy and the whole thing falls apart at the seams, while other teams adjust and keep things somewhat together until they are at full strength again.

This is the exact issue that I do believe is attributable to draft issues, but I also agree the relatively poor coaching and the "next man up" nonsense philosophy leads to a refusal to make proper adjustments for the obvious shortcomings in the roster. 

It's one big self propagating cycle of shit that leads to no NFC title games in 22 years even though they had a legitimate upper half of the league franchise QB for at least 10 of them. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Jason Witten, Jay Ratliff, Marion Barber, Sean Lee, Ron Leary, Doug Free, Andre Gurode, Demarco Murray, Jason Hatcher, and a few others would like to talk to you about shit drafting after the first over two decades 

you really want to go there? thats who you have for 20 years worth of drafting?  that list tells you all you need to know.

• Like 1