Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

18 minutes ago, Apex73 said:

Lol. She said you'd say that.  I know what the context was.  No one said they didn't fucking support them as people.  That is basically what your'e saying.  Anyone who has an opinion different than that according to you doesn't support them.  Which is the dumbest fucking thing Ive ever heard.  Yea I do take their word for it as in I believe they believe it is offensive.  But that's the deal with topics like these.  It's subjective.  And if someone has a subjective opinion other than the one the players have according to you they don't support the team.  Or if someone points out they are in the minority that thinks that way that they also don't support them as people.  You put your own standards  on how someone looks at someone personally based of a subjective opinion discussion.

Stop continually twisting my words and acting like it's what I've stated.  If you actually read what I said, why the fuck do you keep repeating shit like "And if someone has a subjective opinion other than the one the players have according to you they don't support the team."?  Nope, that wasn't my position, but feel free to keep repeating and repeating it.  I'm pretty sure you never even went to UT based on your miserable reading comprehension.

Edited by OU Sucks

41 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Is this where you seriously try to argue that being white in America doesn't come with privileges not afforded minorities?

If you live in a first world country, particularly America, then we all have privileges.  The benefits of being born in the 21st century are that you are not necessarily held down by the social class you are born in.  You can start out as nothing and work your way into something regardless of race.  We have millionaires and even billionaires of all different races and backgrounds.  We had a black President not long ago.  Is affirmative action not a privilege?  So the people who invoke the myth of white privilege is really only pandering to gain sympathy.  It's used as a way for people who have no balls to do what they want to do in life to blame shit on the system as if the system is keeping them there and acting as they don't have the freedom to make changes.  And that kind of thinking is not race specific either.  I think the idea of white privilege is completely reprehensible.  And I'm not saying white people aren't born with certain advantages.  Most people have advantages in some way or another and you should be thankful for those advantages and work to deserve them.  But the idea that you can target an ethnic group with a collective crime regardless of the specific innocence or guilt of the constituent elements of that group, there is absolutely nothing that is more racist than that.  If you really wanna know more about that sort of thing you should read abut the Kulaks in the Soviet Union in the 1920's.  Because they were farmers who were the most productive people in agriculture in Russia and they were virtually all killed, raped, and robbed by the collectivists who insisted that because they showed signs of wealth that they were criminals.  One of the consequences of the prosecution of the Kulaks was the death of 6 million Ukrainians from famine in the 1930s.  The idea of collectively held guilt at the level of the individual as a legal or philosophical principle is dangerous.  It's precisely the sort of danger that people who are really looking for trouble would push.  Just a glance at 20th century history should tell anyone how horrible that is. The players have privileges too.  Because they are athletes they get free stuff all the time.  They dine well.  And let's be honest, a lot of them aren't playing here for free now.  And I'm not saying they shouldn't have those things because I believe they've earned them.  Using a term like white privilege is too vague because it's not just whites who have advantages in American society.  I often find that its used to shut down an argument meaning your opinion doesn't matter on this because you are white.  Being white doesn't inhibit the ability to use your brain and have a valid opinion.  I think that about covers it.

Edited by Apex73
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Stop continually twisting my words and acting like it's what I've stated.  If you actually read what I said, why the fuck do you keep repeating shit like "And if someone has a subjective opinion other than the one the players have according to you they don't support the team."?  Nope, that wasn't my position, but feel free to keep repeating and repeating it.  I'm pretty sure you never even went to UT based on your miserable reading comprehension.

You don't get it and that's ok I guess.  Adult conversation isn't for everyone.  I could say the same for you buddy.

8 hours ago, US183 said:

Isn’t it amazing that Charlie Strong was able to come to a racist state with a racist flag,  a racist university with racist names on buildings, racist statues of racists and walk on a field named after a racist coach and sing a racist song after each game? It must have been a living hell, how did he do it? 

Did UT get called racist for firing him?  ND did for Ty Willingham because he only got 3 years of a 5 year contract. 

oh and the same goes for USF?

12 minutes ago, notre dame joe said:

Did UT get called racist for firing him?  ND did for Ty Willingham because he only got 3 years of a 5 year contract. 

We got called a cesspool for wanting to fire the losingest coach in our history. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bullet said:

Actually, you are the one being intolerant, condescending and arrogant.

You have trouble with us thinking some of these ideas are ridiculous, just because you don't.  (and some of the ideas are very good).

I never said anyone was being specifically intolerant. In addition, I never specifically called any poster out. Also, I welcome discussion of the ideas the athletes have presented. The key word in my post, angry, was because I’m disappointed that so many people on one side of this issue are feverishly angry. You have every right to think an idea is ridiculous, but you clearly haven’t actually listened to their proposal. You must acknowledge that they likely have a different worldview than you. Naturally, you and many others in this thread have disagreed with them. I’m not quite sure how calling players stupid/ridiculous for this isn’t condescending though.

5 hours ago, Apex73 said:

Really?  The entire black community?  You must be under the impression they all think the same way.  Yet the ones who oppose your opinion are condescending.  Takes about 3 seconds of thinking to come up with that conclusion.

I have yet to hear from a black student, fan, or alumni of UT who does not side with the athletes or, at the very least, understand their viewpoint. When you hear from 100+ in the black UT community troubled by this, then I think it’s safe to say “entire community” on a message board. Sure, there could be some (significant) percentage of those in the black UT community who are either ambivalent or don’t want the song changed, but I’ve yet to speak with any of them or even hear from one. I’d like to hear from them too because everyone’s voices should be heard. I thought it was plainly obvious that “entire” was a colloquialism for mass majority or even majority in this case, but I guess some misunderstood.

4 hours ago, Apex73 said:

That's such a tired and worthless argument troll.  Every group has privileges in different ways.  What special treatment?  You must be speaking for yourself or rich people.

This is a stunning statement. It screams that you aren't well read. The evidence that black folks in our country are screwed over isn't just anecdotal. The evidence is vast. That you seem legitimately unaware of it is strange. 

Perhaps you have reading comprehension problems. Perhaps you are an overt racist all lathered up for an internet tussle. Whatever brought you to this point, all of the vacuous posts in the world can't save you from yourself. Let's hope you never have kids to ruin, like your parents ruined you.

6 hours ago, Apex73 said:

If you live in a first world country, particularly America, then we all have privileges.  The benefits of being born in the 21st century are that you are not necessarily held down by the social class you are born in.  You can start out as nothing and work your way into something regardless of race.  We have millionaires and even billionaires of all different races and backgrounds.  We had a black President not long ago.  Is affirmative action not a privilege?  So the people who invoke the myth of white privilege is really only pandering to gain sympathy.  It's used as a way for people who have no balls to do what they want to do in life to blame shit on the system as if the system is keeping them there and acting as they don't have the freedom to make changes.  And that kind of thinking is not race specific either.  I think the idea of white privilege is completely reprehensible.  And I'm not saying white people aren't born with certain advantages.  Most people have advantages in some way or another and you should be thankful for those advantages and work to deserve them.  But the idea that you can target an ethnic group with a collective crime regardless of the specific innocence or guilt of the constituent elements of that group, there is absolutely nothing that is more racist than that.  If you really wanna know more about that sort of thing you should read abut the Kulaks in the Soviet Union in the 1920's.  Because they were farmers who were the most productive people in agriculture in Russia and they were virtually all killed, raped, and robbed by the collectivists who insisted that because they showed signs of wealth that they were criminals.  One of the consequences of the prosecution of the Kulaks was the death of 6 million Ukrainians from famine in the 1930s.  The idea of collectively held guilt at the level of the individual as a legal or philosophical principle is dangerous.  It's precisely the sort of danger that people who are really looking for trouble would push.  Just a glance at 20th century history should tell anyone how horrible that is. The players have privileges too.  Because they are athletes they get free stuff all the time.  They dine well.  And let's be honest, a lot of them aren't playing here for free now.  And I'm not saying they shouldn't have those things because I believe they've earned them.  Using a term like white privilege is too vague because it's not just whites who have advantages in American society.  I often find that its used to shut down an argument meaning your opinion doesn't matter on this because you are white.  Being white doesn't inhibit the ability to use your brain and have a valid opinion.  I think that about covers it.

The kulaks deserved what they got dickwad.

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, JFKFC said:

This is a stunning statement. It screams that you aren't well read. The evidence that black folks in our country are screwed over isn't just anecdotal. The evidence is vast. That you seem legitimately unaware of it is strange. 

Perhaps you have reading comprehension problems. Perhaps you are an overt racist all lathered up for an internet tussle. Whatever brought you to this point, all of the vacuous posts in the world can't save you from yourself. Let's hope you never have kids to ruin, like your parents ruined you.

I explained my case on this above but it doesn't sound like you bothered to read it.  What's ridiculous is you think you can just label someone a racist without any evidence of them being racist.  There is evidence that people of all races are screwed over to a certain degree but in the 21st century if you are born in America, you have way more privileges than people born anywhere else.  And the data doesn't back your claim.  This is what people do when they have no argument.  They label you as racist, hateful, etc.. if you don't agree with their point of view.  You are nothing more than a ideological bully and not a very intimidating one at that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, notre dame joe said:

Not really.  The loss to Kansas pretty much caused all that potential mess to go away.  Which is why I was rooting for Kansas that day once they made it close.

6 hours ago, Apex73 said:

That type of long winded and frankly irrelevant apologia does nothing to explain America's ongoing racial disparities in incarceration, unemployment, home ownership, infant mortality, education, and net worth. 

• Like 2

Everybody knows and everybody agrees that Texas was stolen from Mexico and the Mexican people. Therefore the word Texas is racist. Therefore I demand that the University Of Texas divest itself from anything associated with the state of Texas, including  any monetary value with said establishment. I also demand that that the university of Texas rename itself by taking the name Texas out of its identity and erase anything in its possession with the name Texas on it. I also demand that all of the racist named buildings and statues be removed and replaced with names of Santa Anna and his peaceful band of officers. It is only fair that the entire 40 acres be donated and given the the Mexican government and the existing university be relocated outside of the racist state of Texas. 

8 hours ago, W0244 Jester said:

I’ve been lurking a long time.  Had an account on the first Shag way back when.  Didn’t bother with the next version after Patterson got asshurt over criticism from the Shag. Been watching this one a long time.  

First, I agree with the person who wants to neg Stone Oak for his avatar being such a tease.  Ever wonder how many times Woody Harrelson flubbed his lines so they could reshoot that scene?

TexasMan has an avatar that covers the crime of Stone Oak pretty well. 

All of this discussion is disappointing. People tearing each other apart.  People being damned clueless for decades about who these people were. Did you really not know about Hogg?   Prather?  Littlefield?  Better not read up on Simkins then.  

Some of the players have been getting told since 7th grade that they are the best thing since peanut butter.  They are used to having people cater to them.  It’s how they ended up in the 40 acres.  They had the red or orange carpet rolled out for them. 

Some student orgs or BLM are doing the same thing. Kissing their asses and telling them they are special and feeding them a list to put on social media (when they aren’t punching cars, apparently). They are getting used. Not like slavery, but still a “hey, you are a black guy that can do things I can’t do, I need you to do this for me.  For free.”  I hope they get good advice.  We see juniors across college football get bad advice every year and declare for the draft and fall flat.  I hope these guys are getting good advice.  It will follow them if this doesn’t work and they transfer. 

The other disappointment with this is that they suck at negotiating.  They “request” a whole list of things, but they don’t counter with much.  They don’t really put anything on the line. 

Not glad-handing alums and donors and kissing babies?  Ok.  It’s weird to me anyway that people fawn over 18-22 year old dudes.  Thinking about how many teenagers Burton and Ketch and that pube chin aggy have called and texted and tweeted at over the years is creepy anyway. 

Players, bring something substantial to the table.  Negotiate better.  No team meetings, or I stay in my dorm or apartment the night before home games and don’t go to the hotel with the team like a bunch of kids on a sleepover, or something.  Don’t get yourself kicked off the team or demoted, but bring something to the table.  

I’m glad the players are making requests. I’m sad that they are getting used for their position, just like they do in athletics.  These guys didn’t sit around during shelter-in-place and research all of this.  Someone got in there ear and said “Hey man, we have this list.  If you will Tweet it and include The Eyes, it will really take off.  You are a big deal. Use your platform.

It probably had something to do with that whole George Floyd Murder. And unlike you, I believe they are capable of coming up with this and using their voice. I don't believe the nefarious being used by the BLM conspiracy theory. 

Not walking some recruits around?  Ok. Herman will find a white player to do it or get some hottie to do it.

This pretty much explains a lot about you. Oh they won't meet recruits? Fine, Herman will get a white player to do it. 

It appears you lack the mental capacities to understand such a complex issue when you think that Herman would say cool, just get a white player to do it. 

1 minute ago, US183 said:

Everybody knows and everybody agrees that Texas was stolen from Mexico and the Mexican people. Therefore the word Texas is racist. Therefore I demand that the University Of Texas divest itself from anything associated with the state of Texas, including  any monetary value with said establishment. I also demand that that the university of Texas rename itself by taking the name Texas out of its identity and erase anything in its possession with the name Texas on it. I also demand that all of the racist named buildings and statues be removed and replaced with names of Santa Anna and his peaceful band of officers. It is only fair that the entire 40 acres be donated and given the the Mexican government and the existing university be relocated outside of the racist state of Texas. 

Not to mention the fact that Texians declared independence, in part, because the Mexican government outlawed slavery.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Apex73 said:

In one sentence you say the idea of white privilege is reprehensible and then immediately agree that white people are born with certain advantages. What you're not seeing, and this is still the problem, is that you don't see how black Americans are treated unfairly compared to white people. You don't see it because you were never treated unfairly. You were told everyone is equal and if you want to get ahead, you just work hard. Which is true for you, but it is not true for them. And yes, it stems from systemic racism in the country. The majority group (the whites) previously owned the minority group (the blacks) and continue to subjugate them through racist acts. 

I think we should have an education session

What is systemic racism? 

"systems and structures that have procedures or processes that disadvantages African Americans."

Redlining

Redlining refers to the system used by banks and the real estate industry in the 20th century to determine which neighborhoods would get loans to buy homes, and neighborhoods where people of color lived — outlined in red ink — were deemed the riskiest to invest in. The areas that were redlined also didn't have the tax base to support robust public schools, health care systems or transportation, leading to issues of public safety and thus overpolicing.

Broken Window Policing

The underlying concept of broken windows policing is deceptively simple: to stop major crimes from occurring, police must first prevent small signs of “disorder” from proliferating, such as graffiti, litter, pan-handling, public urination, the sale of untaxed cigarettes, and so forth. It proposes that the best way to prevent major crimes is for people to take responsibility for their neighborhoods and for the police to facilitate that process. The metaphor goes that if a window in a neighbourhood stays broken, it signals neglect and encourages small crimes, which then lead to larger ones. Disorder in the form of minor violations is presumed to breed larger disorder. Instead of addressing “individual crimes,” broken windows theory has given police new authorization to control and moderate behavior.

The Drug War

People of color experience discrimination at every stage of the criminal justice system and are more likely to be stopped, searched, arrested, convicted, harshly sentenced and saddled with a lifelong criminal record. This is particularly the case for drug law violations.

Nearly 80% of people in federal prison and almost 60% of people in state prison for drug offenses are black or Latino.

Research shows that prosecutors are twice as likely to pursue a mandatory minimum sentence for black people as for white people charged with the same offense. Among people who received a mandatory minimum sentence in 2011, 38% were Latino and 31% were black.

Black people and Native Americans are more likely to be killed by law enforcement than other racial or ethnic groups. They are often stereotyped as being violent or addicted to alcohol and other drugs. Experts believe that stigma and racism may play a major role in police-community interact

One in 13 black people of voting age are denied the right to vote because of laws that disenfranchise people with felony convictions.

One in nine black children has an incarcerated parent, compared to one in 28 Latino children and one in 57 white children.

It keeps going and going

• Like 5

8 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Is this where you pretend every white person you know got where they are through hard work and merit?

It must be hard when you leave the echo chamber of the Cloak Room only to find that everyone does not immediately agree will all of your WOKE bullshit. 

7 hours ago, Apex73 said:

But the idea that you can target an ethnic group with a collective crime regardless of the specific innocence or guilt of the constituent elements of that group, there is absolutely nothing that is more racist than that.  If you really wanna know more about that sort of thing you should read abut the Kulaks in the Soviet Union in the 1920's.  Because they were farmers who were the most productive people in agriculture in Russia and they were virtually all killed, raped, and robbed by the collectivists who insisted that because they showed signs of wealth that they were criminals.  One of the consequences of the prosecution of the Kulaks was the death of 6 million Ukrainians from famine in the 1930s.  The idea of collectively held guilt at the level of the individual as a legal or philosophical principle is dangerous.  It's precisely the sort of danger that people who are really looking for trouble would push.  Just a glance at 20th century history should tell anyone how horrible that is. 

The term Kulak does not designate an ethnicity. It is a Russian word for wealthy peasant, one wealthy enough to hire outside labor.  This exchange was often viewed as exploitative by poorer peasants, hence their extreme reaction when the Soviets came to power and emboldened this peasant underclass.  Before you exhort people to find out "more about that sort of thing," perhaps you should know what you are talking about first.  Trying to frame that period of history as an ethnic issue reveals a profound ignorance on the topic.  Also, comparing forced collectivization and resulting famine to losing your precious little song causes you to appear hysterical and detached from reality.  That's a textbook example of the slippery slope logical fallacy.  Nobody's "targeting" any specific ethnic group,  trying to laying collective guilt on any any group, or accusing any group of a crime.  A portion of the UT student body wants to discuss, among other things, changing a song that some view as having racial undertones. I'm not seeing a call for retribution against anyone in their requests.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Apex73 said:

I'd rather be real with my opinion and have what is perceived as the low ground than just side with the narrative for the moral high ground.  Not saying everyone who disagrees with me is doing that.  I'm sure a few believe all the players demands are perfectly reasonable.  But there is a lot of pandering and white guilt going on here.

If we were to make a list of attributes that the Cabal shares, pandering and white guilt would be high on the list.

• Like 1

You're right. Empathy and wanting to give the players a platform to speak=white guilt. And another Cabal reference. We need an Icono victim Bingo card. 

And more former players coming out saying they stand behind the current players. 

Edited by mdmost

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

It probably had something to do with that whole George Floyd Murder. And unlike you, I believe they are capable of coming up with this and using their voice. I don't believe the nefarious being used by the BLM conspiracy theory. 

This pretty much explains a lot about you. Oh they won't meet recruits? Fine, Herman will get a white player to do it. 

It appears you lack the mental capacities to understand such a complex issue when you think that Herman would say cool, just get a white player to do it. 

Wrong.  

Here is some attention though.  I’ll get you a cookie and some SJW internet tokens if it will make you feel better.  

I am concerned they are being played.  Weird, you don’t seem to be concerned about them despite the keyboard vomit you have been spewing for 40 pages. 

You are more concerned with getting e-high fives from your internet bros than with what might actually be happening to the players. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

5 hours ago, George Clooney said:

I have yet to hear from a black student, fan, or alumni of UT who does not side with the athletes or, at the very least, understand their viewpoint. When you hear from 100+ in the black UT community troubled by this, then I think it’s safe to say “entire community” on a message board. Sure, there could be some (significant) percentage of those in the black UT community who are either ambivalent or don’t want the song changed, but I’ve yet to speak with any of them or even hear from one. I’d like to hear from them too because everyone’s voices should be heard. I thought it was plainly obvious that “entire” was a colloquialism for mass majority or even majority in this case, but I guess some misunderstood.

Quan Cosby was on the radio yesterday and had no issues with the song.  Said he never really thought anything of the statues, but could see the concerns there.  

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, What? said:

The term Kulak does not designate an ethnicity. It is a Russian word for wealthy peasant, one wealthy enough to hire outside labor.  This exchange was often viewed as exploitative by poorer peasants, hence their extreme reaction when the Soviets came to power and emboldened this peasant underclass.  Before you exhort people to find out "more about that sort of thing," perhaps you should know what you are talking about first.  Trying to frame that period of history as an ethnic issue reveals a profound ignorance on the topic.  Also, comparing forced collectivization and resulting famine to losing your precious little song causes you to appear hysterical and detached from reality.  That's a textbook example of the slippery slope logical fallacy.  Nobody's "targeting" any specific ethnic group,  trying to laying collective guilt on any any group, or accusing any group of a crime.  A portion of the UT student body wants to discuss, among other things, changing a song that some view as having racial undertones. I'm not seeing a call for retribution against anyone in their requests.

It speaks volumes that he thinks acknowledging that whites have certain advantages in our society is akin to collective guilt and the targeting of an ethnic group. Truly insane line of thinking. 

Not to mention the ethnic group he’s a part of is the vast majority and holds most of the wealth and power so the fear of being “targeted” or collectively victimized is one of the most irrational fears I could imagine.

10 minutes ago, W0244 Jester said:

Wrong.  

Here is some attention though.  I’ll get you a cookie and some SJW internet tokens if it will make you feel better.  

I am concerned they are being played.  Weird, you don’t seem to be concerned about them despite the keyboard vomit you have been spewing for 40 pages. 

You are more concerned with getting e-high fives from your internet bros than with what might actually be happening to the players. 

Ah yes, he’s inconsiderate of the black athletes because he doesnt buy in to your baselsss conspiracy theory. You, on the other hand, are deeply concerned about them, which is why you’ve created said baseless conspiracy theory, which also conveniently undermines everything they’ve said so you don’t actually have to consider the changes they’re requesting. Makes perfect sense.

I can’t believe so many of us have been so nefarious and selfish by taking these players at their word and treating them as functioning adults who can think for themselves.

• Like 3

There sure are a lot of brand new posters within the last 3 months that seem to only post about coronavirus and BLM.  And they all seem to skew in one direction.

Surly gettin' astroturfed. 

47 minutes ago, What? said:

Wealthy peasant?  Now if that isn't contradictory I don't know what is.  Fascinating those Russians.

19 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Siap... KURT BOWELS wants to keep "The Eyes of Texas"

Some real hot takes in the comments section:

Untitled-1.png

After looking through his FB, I'm pretty sure he's not even attempting to troll, either.

Edited by OU Sucks

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

There sure are a lot of brand new posters within the last 3 months that seem to only post about coronavirus and BLM.  And they all seem to skew in one direction.

Surly gettin' astroturfed. 

that, or people are finally angry enough (and encouraged by the tolerance of politics on the football board slash the mantra of "WE MUST HAVE A DISCUSSION") to register and share their own emotional and uninformed opinion, just like they see everyone else doing

4 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Some real hot takes in the comments section:

Untitled-1.png

After looking through his FB, I'm pretty sure he's not even attempting to troll, either.

Holy shit Sean Barratta.

You'd never be part of the problem would you pal?  Use of the word property pretty much much says all anyone needs to know about you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Is this where you pretend every white person you know got where they are through hard work and merit?

So you are saying the black applicants should be hired even if they are less qualified than white applicants just because they are black?  Is this a joke?  What you are really telling black people is that they aren’t as as capable as white people so we’ll have to give everything to you.   What a fucked up shitty message.  The black people I’ve worked with are extremely capable and would laugh at your assumption of their abilities.  Wow.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Siap... KURT BOWELS wants to keep "The Eyes of Texas"

But if they want to get rid of a beloved fight song 

That said, I think it would be a mistake if the school banned the singing of “The Eyes of Texas,” the school’s fight song since 1903.

😱

Edited by EuroHorn

Just now, stork642 said:

So you are saying the black applicants should be hired even if they are less qualified than white applicants just because they are black?  Is this a joke?  What you are really telling black people is that they aren’t as as capable as white people so we’ll have to give everything to you.   What a fucked up shitty message.  The black people I’ve worked with are extremely capable and would laugh at your assumption of their abilities.  Wow.  

No.  He is just saying that many white people have been handed positions and success because of connections, which is accurate.  There is also truth to the statement that many minorities have been admitted to colleges or received job offers that they would not have received if they were white.  Both realities exist simultaneously.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, alincoln said:

No.  He is just saying that many white people have been handed positions and success because of connections, which is accurate.  There is also truth to the statement that many minorities have been admitted to colleges or received job offers that they would not have received if they were white.  Both realities exist simultaneously.

His interpretation of Dennison's post is just, uh, weird I guess. It makes no sense, well I guess it does actually make sense but not in a good way.

Dennison is discussing the various ways that white people have historically gotten ahead in society that have little to do with actual merit and hard work such as skin color and connections. Because stork is so far gone and unable to process that reality, his mind immediately jumps to the place where he's comfortable, which is battling against the possibility that black people get ahead in society by means which have less to do with hard work and merit and more to do with skin color and connections.

As you said, it's possible for these things to coexist. It's just not possible for some minds to contain both realities at the same time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, alincoln said:

No he’s advocating for non merit based employment.  He is saying hire the less qualified person because of skin color.  I thought we were all looking for equal treatment for everyone but I guess not.  There should be equal opportunity to get a job and merit/ability should get the applicant hired.  I feel silly having to even explain this novel concept.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

His interpretation of Dennison's post is just, uh, weird I guess. It makes no sense, well I guess it does actually make sense but not in a good way.

Dennison is discussing the various ways that white people have historically gotten ahead in society that have little to do with actual merit and hard work such as skin color and connections. Because stork is so far gone and unable to process that reality, his mind immediately jumps to the place where he's comfortable, which is battling against the possibility that black people get ahead in society by means which have less to do with hard work and merit and more to do with skin color and connections.

As you said, it's possible for these things to coexist. It's just not possible for some minds to contain both realities at the same time.

I’m not far gone at all.  I want equal treatment for everyone but he said get rid of merit based employment.  His words not mine.  Do you agree with what he said?

• Like 3