Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

It might be constructive to look at how South Africa dealt with their song problem. When the Apartheid regime fell, the old national anthem was rightly seen by many as the voice of the oppressors. At times, it was directly used as a voice of oppression. The anti-apartheid movement had adopted "Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika" as a sort of national anthem. Under Mandela, the two songs were combined into a single national anthem, as a symbol of reconciliation. It was messy and at times ugly. It wasn't without criticism, but I would say that it's largely been a force for unity. At lot of the ugliness and redemption played out through the national rugby team. Texas athletes have a real opportunity to lead and I'm happy they're taking this opportunity. 

1 hour ago, US183 said:

As each day goes by and being a season ticket holder since 1984, I feel more comfortable with my decision to not renew my season tickets this year. 

Then I guess someone who isn’t a bitch will enjoy your seats. 

• Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

Star-Spangled Banner was written by a man who owned slaves, so we should get rid of that one too, right?
I understand why the origins are controversial and why we shouldn't force those that don't want to sing it to sing it, but the argument that the origins of the song and not the contents invalidate the song is a slippery slope. 
Oh man, do I have news for you. 484067c45f4a7166a4e2c187b33c798a.gif
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

I’ve known the words to “The Eyes” as long as I can remember.  I sang it to each of my children as I carried them away from the delivery room.  I would hate to see it go away. 

That’s kind of weird man. I love UT, but I wasn’t thinking about the university at all in the hospital when my kids were born.  

• Like 2

So are you saying the next time a white person is unjustly murdered by police, people should not protest it because the vast majority of white people are killed by white people and they should focus on that instead? That's what you're implying.
Key words are "unjustly" and "murdered"...those are things that used to be decided in front of a judge and jury...before the internet that is. These days the rioters dont even wait for an aquittal certain members of the public may think is the wrong verdict..

I mean, how many police shootings/aided in a suspects death occur when a supect is complying and not resisting arrest, and unarmed on top of that? Yes, those do happen (usually poor trigger discipline and panicky cop) and should be prosecuted...but if we focus ONLY on those cases it makes everything we've seen the past two weeks look like a huge overreaction.
  • Like 1

Key words are "unjustly" and "murdered"...those are things that used to be decided in front of a judge and jury...before the internet that is. These days the rioters dont even wait for an aquittal certain members of the public may think is the wrong verdict..

I mean, how many police shootings/aided in a suspects death occur when a supect is complying and not resisting arrest, and unarmed on top of that? Yes, those do happen (usually poor trigger discipline and panicky cop) and should be prosecuted...but if we focus ONLY on those cases it makes everything we've seen the past two weeks look like a huge overreaction.

369b99464b25f1c623cafb4ea921e4c2.jpg
  • Like 5

44 minutes ago, ousux said:

Lmao.  Panicky cop.  😂

1AB66DE7-B19D-4FE3-A95E-9CB633865DB9.jpeg

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, ousux said:

Uh what?  First off, I was just giving some random scenario because the poster continually stated BLM should be protesting all the black on black killings, too.  The point I was trying to make was that if that's the case, white people should protest all the white on white murders when they protest something, too (the stat is something like 82% white/white murders vs 90% black/black murders -- very similar and a strange stat to try to build some kind of argument around).  I think after watching the video and having the cops walk free for days with no charges, it was perfectly fine for people to protest when they did.  When this pattern happens time after time after time, do you really think people need to wait a year and half until the cop is acquitted to protest?  Chances are the cops wouldn't have even been charged had there not been any public reaction.

Edited by OU Sucks

7 hours ago, Apex73 said:

Micheondra Williams, a College of Liberal Arts sociology major, learned about the alma mater's history from a friend.

"I have to admit that I was a little bit shocked to read about the song's history," she said. "But there aren't any words that put me down or degrade me, or make me feel negatively about myself or anyone else."

That's the part you left out. Try to be more professional in the future sir.

That's a quote from a different person than the one I originally cited.  Why would I include that?  The point is you said you never heard of it being an issue for UT students until a few days ago.  However, as the article pointed out, it has been raised before.  Some students were okay with the song, some were made uncomfortable by it, the part I "cut off" doesn't change either side of that equation.  You've really got your panties in a bundle over this.  Again, no one is stopping you from from bellowing minstrel songs at student athletes during football games.

7 hours ago, Mole said:

It might be constructive to look at how South Africa dealt with their song problem. When the Apartheid regime fell, the old national anthem was rightly seen by many as the voice of the oppressors. At times, it was directly used as a voice of oppression. The anti-apartheid movement had adopted "Nkosi Sikelel' iAfrika" as a sort of national anthem. Under Mandela, the two songs were combined into a single national anthem, as a symbol of reconciliation. It was messy and at times ugly. It wasn't without criticism, but I would say that it's largely been a force for unity. At lot of the ugliness and redemption played out through the national rugby team. Texas athletes have a real opportunity to lead and I'm happy they're taking this opportunity. 

I got The Eyes of Texas callin a young nigga phone

All the live long day with the mothafuckin' dope 

The Eyes be ballin' like a mothafuckin' pro 

You cannot get away from my nigga Mo (Bamba, bitch) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

I’ve known the words to “The Eyes” as long as I can remember.  I sang it to each of my children as I carried them away from the delivery room.  I would hate to see it go away. 

It's a special song to a lot of people.  The first song my boys learned was The Eyes of Texas from my mother.  My grandfather taught it to me.  I sang it with my family in Omaha and at the Rose Bowl and thousands of other times with tens of thousands of other people.  My dad requested we sing it at his memorial service 13 years ago.   

And it's a stretch to tie it to racism because of the timing.  Hook'em Horns was first used when the football team was all white.  Does it need to go away?  Dirty Martin's likely didn't serve black people at one time.  Do we need to burn it down?

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

So what happens in the unlikely event that the team gets a bid to the Cotton Bowl?

Actually, we play at ths Cotton Bowl every year.  Should we stop the best tradition in college football?

• Like 1

Song tossing discussion will soon be spreading to a couple of SEC fanbases:

1. Last line in lyrics of "Yea, Alabama!" - "You're Dixie's football pride, Crimson Tide."

2. Last line to "War Eagle" - "War Eagle, win for Auburn, power of Dixieland."

I say we figure out a way to come out of all this better than ever.  Step one: listen.

8 hours ago, Macanudo said:

It hit me yesterday when Macanudo-ette #1 asked me about this.  Bed time for my girls when we were in Alaska and Washington included The Eyes of Texas.  

One night in Alaska when Macanudo-ette #1 was about 18 months old, it had been a majorly trying day in Macanudoland.  Due to drama with Mrs. Macanudo I was not on my game and that included not singing The Eyes of Texas to my daughter.  I put her to bed.  A few minutes went by and then.....  "Daddy........    Daddy.........."   Over and over.

I was tired.  I was frazzled.   I was worn out.  I walked back upstairs to her room and all but flung the door open.  As I walked in, her little voice said......  " You didnt sing Texas."   I blundered my way through it. 

The Eyes of Texas is something special.

So, your nighttime routine with your daughter included mocking black people and celebrating slavery?  That’s weird. 

• Haha 1

The team will never be able to play anywhere but DKR after this because at some point they would have to cross

a set of railroad tracks. And railroad tracks are racist because "The Eyes" is set to the tune of I've been working on the railroad. 

And "The Eyes" is racist because it was performed at a minstrel show, thus by association making railroad tracks racist. 

• Like 2

Hey, if the decision is made to change the names of campus buildings and drop "the Eyes of Texas," it's fine with me. I think an even better idea would be to contribute a portion of the athletic budget to assist black colleges. 

What I am concerned about is the Longhorns winning football games. I want our team to make me proud to be a Lifetime Longhorn. 

But if this team tanks in the upcoming season, I don't want all the people here clamoring for change to post that "they've never been more proud of the Longhorn players, blah, blah, blah."

We are proud of championships. 

Hook 'em

TEXAS-FIGHT-Team.gif  

Edited by TreatyOak

9 minutes ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

The team will never be able to play anywhere but DKR after this because at some point they would have to cross

DKR coached the last all-white team that UT had. We'll have to rename the stadium or play somewhere else. 

• Like 2

I thought the athletes request was at a minimum, to not be forced to sing the song after games?  That seems reasonable.  How did some of you jump from that to burning down the campus or the US constitution?  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Cotton Bowl is not a playoff game this year

Isn’t that what I said 

“what happens if Tom makes the cotton bowl?”

cotton bowl = not a playoff game in 2021 

“then we missed the playoffs AGAIN”

17 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

I thought the athletes request was at a minimum, to not be forced to sing the song after games?  That seems reasonable.  How did some of you jump from that to burning down the campus or the US constitution?  

Still a lot of people that don't get it and proving the point that they aren't listening and not hearing what is being said.

giphy.gif

28 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

Are you new to the football board? Knee jerk reactions are our speciality. 

27 minutes ago, TXSG8R said:

They requested to change the song and to not require players to sing it. But let’s be honest. The team not singing the eyes of Texas is going to be super weird if the crowd continues to sing especially knowing why the Team is no longer singing the it. Let’s throw in another scenario. What  if players start kneeling during the song at the beginning of the game? 

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

DKR coached the last all-white team that UT had. We'll have to rename the stadium or play somewhere else. 

I did not like it when the regents added his name to Memorial Stadium and was further disappointed when he accepted the honor.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neonmoon said:

They requested to change the song and to not require players to sing it. But let’s be honest. The team not singing the eyes of Texas is going to be super weird if the crowd continues to sing especially knowing why the Team is no longer singing the it. Let’s throw in another scenario. What  if players start kneeling during the song at the beginning of the game? 

The pregame Eyes are sung before the team is on the field.

2 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

So what happens in the unlikely event that the team gets a bid to the Cotton Bowl?

Anything made of cotton or that has the name cotton in it is racist and offends me. Therefore we should never play in the cotton bowl again and that includes any game in October. 

30 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Oh, there will be kneeling this season, you can be sure of that.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I have no idea how the UT band operates, but I suspect that either the band will pick a side or, more likely, the University will say, "play the song," or "you can't play the song."  So as a practical matter, I don't expect this to be an issue.  If the band plays the song, the vast majority of fans will sing, and most of them won't care whether the players or singing or kneeling.