Texas athletes petitioning University to replace "The Eyes of Texas" and to no longer require athletes to sing it

Goo Punch

For those curious about Apex and others sudden interest in single-parent African American households - I just got cluster bombed with Candace Owens posts on facebook by a bunch of shit head relatives.  Candace apparently is laying all of the problems of the AA community on absentee fathers - without actually explaining why its a recent problem and the causes of it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stork642 said:

I’m not far gone at all.  I want equal treatment for everyone but he said get rid of merit based employment.  His words not mine.  Do you agree with what he said?

That's not what he said you doofus. He was responding to futureman's question asking him what he meant by "the privileges and special treatment long afforded white people in this country."

He was saying that white people have long benefited from non-merit based employment. Learn how to read before you spout off, for fuck's sake. Now certainly Dennison may believe in what you're ascribing to him, but that is absolutely not what he was saying in the posts you took issue with.

Edited by Huckleberry

4 minutes ago, stork642 said:

I’m not far gone at all.  I want equal treatment for everyone but he said get rid of merit based employment.  His words not mine.  Do you agree with what he said?

Affirmative action in admissions and hiring isn't going anywhere and is actually expanding rapidly, particularly within banking, law and large businesses.  

1 minute ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

For those curious about Apex and others sudden interest in single-parent African American households - I just got cluster bombed with Candace Owens posts on facebook by a bunch of shit head relatives.  Candace apparently is laying all of the problems of the AA community on absentee fathers - without actually explaining why its a recent problem and the causes of it.

It is a massive problem regardless of the causes and the resulting issues will not be remedied during the lifetime of anyone alive today because the die is already cast.  

31 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Holy shit Sean Barratta.

You'd never be part of the problem would you pal?  Use of the word property pretty much much says all anyone needs to know about you.

Ho lee shit.  Texas owns you?  What the actual F.  That’s gotta he aggy 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

That's not what he said you doofus. He was responding to futureman's question asking him what he meant by "the privileges and special treatment long afforded white people in this country."

He was saying that white people have long benefited from non-merit based employment. Learn how to read before you spout off, for fuck's sake. Now certainly Dennison may believe in what you're ascribing to him, but that is absolutely not what he was saying in the posts you took issue with.

I think I can read just fine but you want to imply what he meant.  He said “Non-merit based admissions and employment. The benefit of the doubt from law enforcement. The benefit of the doubt from business owners. The benefit of the doubt from financial institutions.“   

Seems pretty clear.  

36 minutes ago, stork642 said:

What you are really telling black people is that they aren’t as as capable as white people so we’ll have to give everything to you.  

You're actually telling businesses that they will be required to hire diversely and it is in their interests to see that formerly blocked segments of the population are given access to education and training to make them qualified.

I've lost at least one job to a less qualified female minority person. My response? It's not much of a sacrifice compared to stumbling off a landing craft into the surf under intense machine gun and artillery fire. It's not much of an impediment compared to not even being considered for a job because of race or sexuality.

Now women and minorities compete for jobs because there are openings. I've worked for each, mostly women, and as a group they've all been at least as good as white men like me.

It's not a huge contribution, but it's my part in making it a better nation.

History didn't start yesterday. To quote the Animals:

It's a hard world to get a break in
All the good things have been taken

They deserve their shot.

20 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Never go to the comments section of any news story if you're looking for well thought out, well tempered reactions. People think know CR is a cesspool. It has nothing on Facebook and news story comments sections. 

27 minutes ago, alincoln said:

It is a massive problem regardless of the causes and the resulting issues will not be remedied during the lifetime of anyone alive today because the die is already cast.  

We know what the causes are - but you can't bring yourself to say them.  If you won't acknowledge whats causing it how do you expect to fix it?

2 minutes ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

We know what the causes are - but you can't bring yourself to say them.  

Do we?  I'm sure our respective lists would share many factors but would not be identical.  I'm also sure you would not be willing to entertain any thoughts that are not in lockstep with your own.

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

No he’s advocating for non merit based employment.  He is saying hire the less qualified person because of skin color.  I thought we were all looking for equal treatment for everyone but I guess not.  There should be equal opportunity to get a job and merit/ability should get the applicant hired.  I feel silly having to even explain this novel concept.  

I'm not saying that at all. Affirmative action only exists because white people have always been the beneficiaries of non-merit based employment and admissions. If everyone were treated equally, there would be no need for affirmative action. 

Edited by David Dennison

1 hour ago, stork642 said:

I think I can read just fine but you want to imply what he meant.  He said “Non-merit based admissions and employment. The benefit of the doubt from law enforcement. The benefit of the doubt from business owners. The benefit of the doubt from financial institutions.“   

Seems pretty clear.  

Yes, it is amazingly clear. That's exactly what he said. 

Exactly what he said that white people have benefited from for decades

He was not saying that's what black people should be getting. He said that's what white people have gotten. You are a complete moron. I tried to give you some wiggle room to climb out of the hole you dug yourself but you weren't smart enough to take it. At least I tried, but all I succeeded in doing was proving my initial hypothesis correct. Your brain is so far gone that you're physically incapable of even comprehending that white people have benefited from non-merit based employment and admissions for decades. It literally doesn't even register for you that it's a possibility so your mind creates an alternate reality where he was talking about black people getting those kinds of breaks. Because that is definitely possible because it makes you the victim.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

He was not saying that's what black people should be getting. He said that's what white people have gotten. You are a complete moron. I tried to give you some wiggle room to climb out of the hole you dug yourself but you weren't smart enough to take it. At least I tried. 

There are folks in this country who actually believe minorities receive equitable treatment when they have the same or similar qualifications as white people.

I would love a flowchart detailing how the topic discussion has gone in this thread. It's always fascinating to see how a thread starts out one way and then veers off dramatically. 

Edited by mdmost

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Never go to the comments section of any news story if you're looking for well thought out, well tempered reactions. People think CR is a cesspool. It has nothing on Facebook and news story comments sections. 

You can also go read the takes from the idiots on Orangebloods if you want to shake your head.   As much as we bitch about some of our resident dumbasses over here, the average intelligence on this board is night and day compared to that cesspool.

• Like 1

Never go to the comments section of any news story if you're looking for well thought out, well tempered reactions. People think CR is a cesspool. It has nothing on Facebook and news story comments sections. 

Holy shit, this.

As someone who hopes The Eyes remains as a unifying message (document and discuss the song’s history and share the continued failings of the Texas Cowboys loudly) I’ve been reading article comments more than normal to view public opinion. I’m glad I never got access to www.creedthoughts.gov.www/creedthoughts

I hope Herman, CDC, and interim Pres can get folks unified quickly, because as others have pointed out I can see a few West Side overt racists co-opting our song and really dividing our fan base, alumni, and students/athletes. Pretty clear to me now that if The Eyes go away in an official capacity, it isn’t going away among all and that would become something terrible for our university.

20 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

Herman, CDC, and interim Pres can get folks unified quickly, because as others have pointed out I can see a few West Side overt racists co-opting our song and really dividing our fan base, alumni, and students/athletes. Pretty clear to me now that if The Eyes go away in an official capacity, it isn’t going away among all and that would become something terrible for our university.

This is my fear.  We have a chance to really differentiate ourselves here from the Texas and Oklahoma aggys of the world and show that our university, admin and fans truly hear the players.  We could finally shed once and for all that "last all white team to win it all" label.  I'm afraid the blue haired Antebellum section of our fanbase will completely step on our dicks though.

9 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

White guilt is a stinky cologne. 

Can you explain why it is that you think everyone disagreeing with you on this thread is white? Is it because this board is heavily populated by college graduates or is it something less concerning like a simple assumption that without evidence to the contrary you just assume everyone looks like you? 

• Like 1

Maybe qualified whites and/or males that didn’t get a job due to affirmative action should sue because their real opportunity was stolen by the non-merit whites, not the minorities? How would you lawyers tackle that since the premise seems to be that AA exists because whites have been getting undeserved opportunities?

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

My comments to newspaper articles are where I bring out my best stuff. You’re missing out.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Can you explain why it is that you think everyone disagreeing with you on this thread is white? Is it because this board is heavily populated by college graduates or is it something less concerning like a simple assumption that without evidence to the contrary you just assume everyone looks like you? 

Everyone? You must have been a theater major. But strictly speaking of demographics, I think it was 60% white when I went there, so the odds of them looking like me are pretty high. 

Okay, so you're aware that a large percentage are not white. That's a good start. 

Can you now explain why you believe it requires a feeling of guilt for the white posters to recognize the fact that white people have benefited from non-merit based employment and admissions for decades? 

2 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

You're actually telling businesses that they will be required to hire diversely and it is in their interests to see that formerly blocked segments of the population are given access to education and training to make them qualified.

I've lost at least one job to a less qualified female minority person. My response? It's not much of a sacrifice compared to stumbling off a landing craft into the surf under intense machine gun and artillery fire. It's not much of an impediment compared to not even being considered for a job because of race or sexuality.

Now women and minorities compete for jobs because there are openings. I've worked for each, mostly women, and as a group they've all been at least as good as white men like me.

It's not a huge contribution, but it's my part in making it a better nation.

History didn't start yesterday. To quote the Animals:

It's a hard world to get a break in
All the good things have been taken

They deserve their shot.

Wait until it’s your more qualified son or daughter getting passed over. Oh noes, people hire people they know or have connections with. With now even Harvard announcing they will no longer be requiring SAT/ACT scores, like the UC system, we are well on the way to reaching the point where college admissions and job placement criteria will be based on racial quotas. Affirmative action/diversity policies do not benefit me or my family since we are Iranians and like Cuban-Americans we are too successful and rich to benefit from such largesse. We don’t fit in the aggrieved and oppressed minority ethnic group category. @Alien Octopus I assume is from either Venezuela or Cuba and like me understands where extremism ends up. The white guilt crowd might not like where this ends up.

49 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Maybe qualified whites and/or females that didn’t get into Texas a job due to affirmative action should sue because their real opportunity was stolen by the non-merit whites, not the minorities? How would you lawyers tackle that since the premise seems to be that AA exists because whites have been getting undeserved opportunities?

You mean like Fisher v Texas?

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/14-981_4g15.pdf

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Okay, so you're aware that a large percentage are not white. That's a good start. 

Can you now explain why you believe it requires a feeling of guilt for the white posters to recognize the fact that white people have benefited from non-merit based employment and admissions for decades? 

Because your assertion is a feeling that can’t be measured. 

26 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Wait until it’s your more qualified son or daughter getting passed over. Oh noes, people hire people they know or have connections with. With now even Harvard announcing they will no longer be requiring SAT/ACT scores, like the UC system, we are well on the way to reaching the point where college admissions and job placement criteria will be based on racial quotas. Affirmative action/diversity policies do not benefit me or my family since we are Iranians and like Cuban-Americans we are too successful and rich to benefit from such largesse. We don’t fit in the aggrieved and oppressed minority ethnic group category. @Alien Octopus I assume is from either Venezuela or Cuba and like me understands where extremism ends up. The white guilt crowd might not like where this ends up.

If you're so rich and successful then what are you bitching about?

27 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

Sigh.

Ok, so I went back to the twitter post to find the actual demands. I was working off of articles and needed to go back to the source.

EaVW93_XYAEWMgz?format=jpg&name=900x900

I feel like everything but the song and the donation demands could be done yesterday.

Negotiate and figure it out. Combine the earnings demand w/ the major city outreach piece to kill two birds with one stone.

IDK about the song. Change the lyrics? Would that suffice? 

49 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

You mad bro?😱

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, US183 said:

Everybody knows and everybody agrees that Texas was stolen from Mexico and the Mexican people. Therefore the word Texas is racist. Therefore I demand that the University Of Texas divest itself from anything associated with the state of Texas, including  any monetary value with said establishment. I also demand that that the university of Texas rename itself by taking the name Texas out of its identity and erase anything in its possession with the name Texas on it. I also demand that all of the racist named buildings and statues be removed and replaced with names of Santa Anna and his peaceful band of officers. It is only fair that the entire 40 acres be donated and given the the Mexican government and the existing university be relocated outside of the racist state of Texas. 

unfortunately they also tore down a statue of a Mexican General/President who fought the whites but apparently had to fight the non-whites too.  Now no one has to ask the annoying question of why New Mexico built a monument to Old Mexico.

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

It's the voice of the people.  Sometimes the people out perform the journalist, which is why the journalists increasingly do not allow comments on their work.

• Fuck You 4

27 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

With now even Harvard announcing they will no longer be requiring SAT/ACT scores, like the UC system, we are well on the way to reaching the point where college admissions and job placement criteria will be based on racial quotas

Yeah, that's due to Covid and there not being places kids can go to get tested right now. It's temporary. 

Harvard College has joined peers in a major -- albeit temporary -- shift in college admissions: It’s dropping the requirement for standardized testing for the class of 2025, as the pandemic has restricted access to the SAT and ACT.

“We understand that the Covid-19 pandemic has created insurmountable challenges in scheduling tests for all students, particularly those from modest economic backgrounds, and we believe this temporary change addresses these challenges,” Harvard said in a statement Monday.

• Like 1

Just now, notre dame joe said:

It's the voice of the people.  Sometimes the people out perform the journalist, which is why the journalists increasingly do not allow comments on their work.

Yeah, that's it. The people outperform the journalist by screaming something is the Right's fault or the Left's fault or some Qanon shit. 

15 minutes ago, Dnaguy said:

Ok, so I went back to the twitter post to find the actual demands. I was working off of articles and needed to go back to the source.

EaVW93_XYAEWMgz?format=jpg&name=900x900

I feel like everything but the song and the donation demands could be done yesterday.

Negotiate and figure it out. Combine the earnings demand w/ the major city outreach piece to kill two birds with one stone.

IDK about the song. Change the lyrics? Would that suffice? 

I agree.  We should do what we can do now, now.  And work on figuring out song issue before game 1.  Might need to get some buy in from the affected families' on the naming issue.

47 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Because your assertion is a feeling that can’t be measured. 

That doesn't make any sense at all.

You are claiming that in order to recognize the benefits that being white has conveyed in America a white person must feel guilt because the assertion that being white has had benefits is a feeling that can't be measured?

Try again.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Haha 1

We know the list of requests had already been prepped by student orgs.  The student orgs have said as much.  

Yeah, I’m speculating on the rest.  This is an unprecedented development on a freaking college football message board.  Nobody has ever speculated on Surly in the history of ever.  Certainly not on this thread.  
My point is it's disengenous to just dismiss them when you don't know how it went down.
Can anyone think of a thread that has garnered so many replies in such a short time?
Seems like I’ve been reading most of these threads for three years. 
Coaching search and recruiting threads.

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

He was not saying that's what black people should be getting. He said that's what white people have gotten. You are a complete moron. I tried to give you some wiggle room to climb out of the hole you dug yourself but you weren't smart enough to take it. At least I tried, but all I succeeded in doing was proving my initial hypothesis correct. Your brain is so far gone that you're physically incapable of even comprehending that white people have benefited from non-merit based employment and admissions for decades. It literally doesn't even register for you that it's a possibility so your mind creates an alternate reality where he was talking about black people getting those kinds of breaks. Because that is definitely possible because it makes you the victim.

You seem to hear/see what you want to  hear/see and I’m not too concerned about your perception of things.  Agree to disagree I guess but I find it amusing that I am just making points with no name calling but everyone of your post you a calling names.  I’m a big boy and it definitely doesn’t offend me but you seem agitated or conflicted.  Good luck with that.  

• Like 1