2018 Body Transformation Thread

I'm finding my body has started fighting back against more weight loss.  I lost about 30lbs since January, but once I cracked 180 (179.4, woohoo), I let it go over Memorial Day and quickly put 2 lbs back on almost overnight.  And taking them back off is not happening.  Maybe I just need to shit more.

Truth.  I've been 184 for a year or so now, I keep waiting to get into the 170s but it ain't happening.  At this point I am happy with my weight and losing more would be a curiosity, not a goal.

Like I've mentioned before, I'm on month 38 of living the LCHF lifestyle, and It's been a long time since I've counted macros but I'd say I'm under 40g carbs a day including "hidden" carbs.  At this point, I can eat a piece of cake, or have some bread, or a blizzard, etc. about once a week and it doesn't even show up as a blip on my radar except to make me feel like shit for a few hours.

I gotta admit that my fiance is buying little packets of Keto drink mix from some MLM people and it helps with mental focus and energy, especially in the morning.  They have caffeine as well so not sure how much is the additional ketones.

• Like 1

On 5/18/2018 at 3:51 PM, Mack Tripper said:

La Croix grapefruit is way better than HEB brand. Lime is about the same. 

Tried it last night. Was indeed tasty. Picked up a single of all the others. Wasn't impressed with watermelon but might not of been cold enough. really enjoyed the "fancier" version I picked up yesterday "Alta Palla" from whole foods.. Peach flavor. It's "Organic" ooooohhhh

Truth.  I've been 184 for a year or so now, I keep waiting to get into the 170s but it ain't happening.  At this point I am happy with my weight and losing more would be a curiosity, not a goal.
Like I've mentioned before, I'm on month 38 of living the LCHF lifestyle, and It's been a long time since I've counted macros but I'd say I'm under 40g carbs a day including "hidden" carbs.  At this point, I can eat a piece of cake, or have some bread, or a blizzard, etc. about once a week and it doesn't even show up as a blip on my radar except to make me feel like shit for a few hours.
I gotta admit that my fiance is buying little packets of Keto drink mix from some MLM people and it helps with mental focus and energy, especially in the morning.  They have caffeine as well so not sure how much is the additional ketones.

Was it Keto OS?

Too much protein is not really a thing...unless you're eating insane amounts.  You aren't.

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/07/gluconeogenesis.html?m=0

Here’s an excerpt from a post by Amber and Zooko on Ketotic.org. I had the pleasure of meeting them both at the Ancestral Health Symposium last year, after having been a fan of their meticulously referenced writing for a couple of years:

• "How does excess GNG affect blood sugar levels? Blood sugar levels are important because too much sugar in the blood at a given time can cause damage to cells.
  • Does producing more glucose via GNG ultimately lead to either using more glucose for fuel, or storing it as fat?

So when people worry about protein causing excess GNG, what they are really worrying about is that protein will adversely affect their blood sugar levels, or that they are going to use more glucose for fuel than they intended, or that they will store it as unwanted fat.”

I would add to this that apart from protein’s influence on blood glucose, people are worried about its influence on insulin. (Because as I wrote about in the insulin series, it’s pretty common for people to have normal glucose, but sky-high insulin, and chronically elevated insulin has some pretty gnarly effects totally unrelated to what’s going on with glucose.) 

With regard to GNG, all of these are valid points, and it’s completely reasonable for us to wonder about them. It is not reasonable, however, to start equating protein—lean protein, in particular—with angel food cake.

Just because amino acids can be converted into glucose doesn’t mean they will be. Gluconeogenesis doesn’t happen “just ‘cuz.”

In a well-regulated body, GNG doesn’t happen because it can; it happens when it needs to. The process is demand-driven, not supply-driven.

What does that mean? It means that just because there are amino acids coming into the body, and some of those amino acids can be converted into glucose doesn’t mean they will be. And it especially doesn’t mean this conversion will happen immediately upon digestion. Remember what we said: the glycerol backbone of triglycerides (fats!) can be made into glucose, too, but nobody seems all that worried about this when they’re asking for extra butter on top of their butter, with a side of butter.

Don’t confuse a rise in blood glucose with gluconeogenesis. Protein we eat doesn’t automatically and instantaneously become glucose.

News flash: as stated earlier, the amino acids leucine and lysine cannot be converted into glucose. They are “ketogenic amino acids,” because they can be converted into ketones, but not glucose. Does that mean you should run to your favorite supplement shop and get a bunch of leucine and lysine in order to boost your ketone levels? No. Because these aren’t automatically converted into ketones—in the same way that the glucogenic amino acids are not automatically converted into glucose.

The amino acids alanine, arginine, asparagine, aspartic acid, cysteine, glutamate, glutamine, glycine, histidine, methionine, proline, serine, and valine are exclusively glucogenic. They cannot be converted into ketones but they can be converted into glucose, when the body needs more glucose than it has readily available.

The amino acids isoleucine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, and tyrosine are glucogenic and ketogenic: they can be turned into glucose or ketones, whichever the body happens to need.

“Our data so far indicate that under almost any physiological situation, an increase in gluconeogenic precursor supply alone will not drive glucose production to a higher level, suggesting that factors directly regulating the activity of the rate-limiting enzyme(s) of glucose production normally are the sole determinants of the rate of production; hence, there will be no increase in glucose production if the increase in gluconeogenic precursor supply occurred in the absence of stimulation of the gluconeogenic system.” (Emphasis added.)

In plain English: gluconeogenesis doesn’t happen “just ‘cuz.” Just because there are amino acids present that can be converted into glucose doesn’t mean they will be, unless the body needs glucose. And what signals whether the body needs glucose—that is, the “factors directly regulating the activity of the rate-limiting enzyme(s) of glucose production”—which “normally are the sole determinants of the rate of production,” are hormones.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, msudawg said:

Yea... did some reading on that this morning. Since I doubt I was actually in ketosis yet being day 2.. likely didn't hurt but didn't help. I'll get more strict on the protein intake going forward. Damnit. Gotta make some fatballs and bring some cheese to work. 

That's not necessarily true.

Are you doing Keto for fat loss? Then after your induction period, you don't need to eat a bunch of fat.  Your body is going to burn a certain amount of calories.  Once you're in ketosis, it will seek out fat to burn.  If you are giving it 1600 calories worth of fat off your plate, that is 1600 calories of fat that it won't take off your gut.

If you're doing Keto for other reasons, and are already at your maintenance weight, then you will need to eat more fat since you don't have as much on your body to metabolize.

• Like 1

That's not necessarily true.
Are you doing Keto for fat loss? Then after your induction period, you don't need to eat a bunch of fat.  Your body is going to burn a certain amount of calories.  Once you're in ketosis, it will seek out fat to burn.  If you are giving it 1600 calories worth of fat off your plate, that is 1600 calories of fat that it won't take off your gut.
If you're doing Keto for other reasons, and are already at your maintenance weight, then you will need to eat more fat since you don't have as much on your body to metabolize.
Keto for fat loss. Planning to lose around 50 pounds. I was planning once I got past my induction period to do mostly 16-8,20-4 or longer periods of IF. Today I actually wasn't hungry at all until after I did an hour of cardio. So a 22 hour fast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Question for some of you guys who are also lifting/working out while doing this dieting.  What kind of workouts are you doing?  Lifting and cardio?  Just lifting?  Just cardio?

I'm at 279 as of this morning and want to get back in to shape and am motivated to speed up the weight loss.  Plan is to join a gym this weekend and go in the mornings before work.  Thanks.

19 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Was it Keto OS?

There are 2 kinds of mix at the house - the orange one and the heart tart one.  Way too damned expensive, I just drink whatever is in the pantry and then when she bitches I just give her my CC to order more.  Some MLM Hunbot "entrepreneur" is getting rich.

Image result for KETO//OS Orange Dream

Image result for heart tart keto

5 minutes ago, pearlandhorn said:

Question for some of you guys who are also lifting/working out while doing this dieting.  What kind of workouts are you doing?  Lifting and cardio?  Just lifting?  Just cardio?

I'm at 279 as of this morning and want to get back in to shape and am motivated to speed up the weight loss.  Plan is to join a gym this weekend and go in the mornings before work.  Thanks.

I was doing 5x5 until I ruptured my bicep tendon and tore my labrum in a freak overhead press accident.  Surgery this coming Wednesday.

Whatever you do, be careful.  You can't outrun a bad diet.  It's well documented that I stayed out of the gym during the first 6 months of keto and the weight melted off.

Stepped on the scale today and 241 was looking back up at me. It's sad/funny that at almost 20 pounds lost it's almost not noticeable. Oh well, a couple more times of doing that and it will be noticeable. As some friends of mine say "Easy Does It".

• Like 1

5 hours ago, El Diablo said:

Stepped on the scale today and 241 was looking back up at me. It's sad/funny that at almost 20 pounds lost it's almost not noticeable. Oh well, a couple more times of doing that and it will be noticeable. As some friends of mine say "Easy Does It".

Good job. I'm now down 11lbs in 5 days.. and I've checked it on 2 different scales. Sitting at 223 now.  First goal is in site at 215, then 200. 

Gonna start doing an hour of cardio in the morning and fast 16 hours till lunch to try and ramp up the HGH and metobolic levels...starting on monday.

I know I wont keep losing that much, but damn happy about it so far.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pearlandhorn said:

274.2 this morning after working outside a few hours. 42 pounds lost since April 6.

That's fantastic. Reminds me of my big weight loss back in 2000, about the same amount of weight in about that length of time. People that I worked with thought I had the cancer or the AIDS, it was an obvious and rapid transformation. I was 40 then and had a much more active life than I do now. Congrats and keep it up, you'll get to your goal.

Went off the deep end this weekend and really fell off. Was snacking over the entire weekend on pretty much junk the whole time. Chips, popcorn, candy, ect. Yesterday hit a brunch buffet my fiance has been wanting to go to for about a year. Had some good chicken and waffles though. Was going strong for about 2 months so I think it was time, back on it today.

Do yall do the refeed every so often? My brother and I stay under about 10-15 carbs a day but every so often will have a higher day to get things going again. Maybe like 20-30 carbs once every 3-4 weeks, not like what I did this weekend. 

9 hours ago, Air_Matt said:

Went off the deep end this weekend and really fell off. Was snacking over the entire weekend on pretty much junk the whole time. Chips, popcorn, candy, ect. Yesterday hit a brunch buffet my fiance has been wanting to go to for about a year. Had some good chicken and waffles though. Was going strong for about 2 months so I think it was time, back on it today.

Do yall do the refeed every so often? My brother and I stay under about 10-15 carbs a day but every so often will have a higher day to get things going again. Maybe like 20-30 carbs once every 3-4 weeks, not like what I did this weekend. 

Not on purpose, I don't.  My "refeeds" are usually days I eat a lot of calories, not necessarily carbs.  Some days lately, I just feel hungry and I'll eat 2-3 times + snacks.  But I still keep it to protein/fat.

I've only lost 4 lbs since May 17.  My rate of loss has really slowed down the last couple of months.  Overall, it's still probably within the 1-2 lbs a week rate everyone talks about, but that is really slow for me at my weight based on past experiences.

I restarted Clomid for testosterone enhancement in late April.  I've heard it can make you retain water.  Could Clomid, combined with a boost in T, cause me to hold onto water weight as well as increase my appetite?

Maybe my body is trying to find its new equilibrium.

Edited by Longhorn Al
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2018 at 7:07 PM, Longhorn Al said:

I've only lost 4 lbs since May 17.  My rate of loss has really slowed down the last couple of months.  Overall, it's still probably within the 1-2 lbs a week rate everyone talks about, but that is really slow for me at my weight based on past experiences.

I restarted Clomid for testosterone enhancement in late April.  I've heard it can make you retain water.  Could Clomid, combined with a boost in T, cause me to hold onto water weight as well as increase my appetite?

Maybe my body is trying to find its new equilibrium.

i don't know about the water retention thing but if your e2 is too high that can make you retain water, hold onto fat and generally harder to lose fat.  Clomid will definitely up your e2.  

4 hours ago, Elvis Presto said:

i don't know about the water retention thing but if your e2 is too high that can make you retain water, hold onto fat and generally harder to lose fat.  Clomid will definitely up your e2.  

I'm ordering my own T and E tests.  Will get blood drawn in the next day or two. I don't want to wait till the end of July.  It's been over a month.  I should be seeing some changes on both fronts by now.

Let's combine two things Surly loves: Keto & Arby's.

https://arbys.com/build-a-meal

This allows you to calculate the nutritional info sans buns.  Just click a sandwich, uncheck the box for bun, and add to your meal.

2 half pound roast beef sandwiches:

820 calories

83g protein

53g fat

12g net carbs (8g from the sauce)

~3500mg sodium

This week has been weird.  I've been sticking with the intermittent fasting and am down to 273.  I'm guessing that I went up to 277 last weekend after I worked outside and re-hydrated myself.  Still though, progress is progress, even if it is slow.  Heading on vacation to Colorado with the wife for our first getaway alone in two years.  Going to stick with the diet and intermittent fasting.  With the increase in activity, I'll be shedding pounds while I'm up there hiking.  May visit a few local breweries up in Steamboat while I'm there.

When I get back next week, I'm going to the gym and getting a membership. 

43 pounds lost in 2 months.  Feels good man.

On Monday, I'm going to try the Beef & Butter Fast for 4 or 5 days to try and break this stall.  I'm just not losing, but I'm not eating carbs.  Everyone seems to have success on this modified LCHF fast.

I don't drink coffee, so I'm just going to skip the breakfast and have the two meals.

Breakfast

2 cups of coffee with a tbsp of butter in each

Meal #1

5-8oz 80/20 ground beef w/ 3 tbsp butter

Meal #2

5-8oz 80/20 ground beef w/ 3 tbsp butter

Add plenty of water and electrolytes.

From the experiences I've read online, people tend to lose ~1 lb a day after being in weeks/months long plateaus.  After they stop this fast and go back to a regular Keto diet, they continue to lose, just not at that pace.  I've read some people do this 4-day fast once a month to keep their diet going.  I'm willing to give it a try.

I'll eat about 1 pound of beef per day with 6 tbsp of butter.  That'll be roughly 1600-1700 calories.  I'll drink at least 68 oz of water, but likely closer to 100 oz.  I'll add Lite Salt to the beef to get some sodium and potassium.  I'll take magnesium pills.

Dr. Bikman talks about adipose tissue: brown fat vs. white fat.  We are predominantly white fat, the jiggly fat beneath the skin on our guts, hips, arms, etc.  It's main purpose is to store fat.  Insulin sends it there and tells it to keep it.  Brown fat is in our thoracic cavity and wants to burn fat.  Not for energy, but just to create heat.  Insulin puts the clamps on that, while ketones promote it.  And if insulin is kept low while ketones are elevated, then white fat can start to act like brown fat ("beigeing").  We can actually get our fat to burn fat.

Bikman claims that this burning of fat for heat is considered waste.  It's not really accounted for in the typical CICO approach.  Instead of calories in doing one of 2 things (burned or stored), he claims there are 3 things (wasted).  That's why a calorie is not just a calorie, and that the type of calorie matters.  A lot of you have been saying that for awhile.

Thanks for that, the bit on wasted calories is something I mentioned way back, might have been on the old scat site. I wondered about that but had not looked into it. I've always been a firm believer in CICO but allowed for this possibility, that is the body just not taking the calories in. 

On 6/2/2018 at 11:58 AM, El Diablo said:

E'ryboday's diffrunt, of course, but for your size, it'll kick in about 25 lbs.  After 30 it's pretty noticable.

I gotta say when I got to -30 I started getting a bit of a chicken neck (not flab, just wrinkles), but in a weird way it's a badge of honor and also a bellwether.  Interesting that the layer of fat around my neck was enough to really alter the way I looked.  I think I'm much more handsome now, and the wife agrees.  I only bang 10's now.

40 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

E'ryboday's diffrunt, of course, but for your size, it'll kick in about 25 lbs.  After 30 it's pretty noticable.

I gotta say when I got to -30 I started getting a bit of a chicken neck (not flab, just wrinkles), but in a weird way it's a badge of honor and also a bellwether.  Interesting that the layer of fat around my neck was enough to really alter the way I looked.  I think I'm much more handsome now, and the wife agrees.  I only bang 10's now.

Yeah, I remember when I first started to "thicken up",  I commented to my cousin that I was getting the neck wattle. She just laughed and said it comes with age. Well, I grew into it. I know what you mean about when the weight comes off of there too. It makes the loss noticeable to others even if they don't know/notice your waist size.

On 6/5/2018 at 10:51 PM, Longhorn Al said:

I'm ordering my own T and E tests.  Will get blood drawn in the next day or two. I don't want to wait till the end of July.  It's been over a month.  I should be seeing some changes on both fronts by now.

Total T up to 583

Free T up to 120.1

Estradiol up to 60

I've messaged my endo and asked if he thinks I should start an aromatase inhibitor.  Waiting for a response.  I still have another month before he wants blood tests, so I've pushed him a bit. Maybe he'll call me in for an earlier appt.

Just started the Beef & Butter fast today.  I'm skipping the butter coffee breakfast and just going with the 2 meals.  If I'm too hungry, I'll have to add in a butter tea or something in the morning.

Each meal consists of 8oz ground beef (80/20) and 3 tbsp of salted butter.  I also salted the meat and added some garlic salt and black pepper while it browned.  Tasted pretty dang good.  But it seems everyone says that and by Day 2 they're sick of it. 

The macros are supposed to put you into deep ketosis and break stalls.  I've been stalled out for a few weeks, and haven't been getting enough fat.  This will be roughly 1800 calories with 82% from fat, and just 18% from protein.  Only trace carbs.

I'll keep y'all updated.  It goes for 4 days.

On 5/18/2018 at 7:58 AM, Mr. Drummond said:

Back on the fasting plan.    I stopped for vacation in Isla - but only gained 5 - so pretty happy with it.   Am already in day 3 of fasting, i will get all the vacation weight off by sunday.

50 more to get under 200 for the first time since 1999.   I should be able to get there by end of august.   Going to stick with fasting 6 days eating 1 until probably 220lbs.  (should be first week of july give or take)  then start incorporating an additional meal in the week.   Eventually hoping to be able to maintain 200 by eating every other day or ideally OMAD.   We shall see, i'm not sure i will ever be able to eat like a normal person again after being over 300 for so long. 

Have lost another 20 since this update in mid-may.   Should hit 199 by end of july.   That will be 120 lbs in 5 months.     Fasting has changed my life.   I owe Bernard many topo chicos with lime.

• Like 5

Pretty sure I'm retaining water.  Can't feel it in my legs, but I drank a good amount of fluid yesterday and didn't go to the bathroom more than normal.  My weight actually went up by .4 today.  I was strict yesterday, and only had what I mentioned above.  Maybe too much salt.

My blood ketones did improve from 0.2 before to 0.7 today.  Hopefully that will keep climbing the next couple of days.

On 6/12/2018 at 5:23 PM, Longhorn Al said:

Total T up to 583

Free T up to 120.1

Estradiol up to 60

I've messaged my endo and asked if he thinks I should start an aromatase inhibitor.  Waiting for a response.  I still have another month before he wants blood tests, so I've pushed him a bit. Maybe he'll call me in for an earlier appt.

Just started the Beef & Butter fast today.  I'm skipping the butter coffee breakfast and just going with the 2 meals.  If I'm too hungry, I'll have to add in a butter tea or something in the morning.

Each meal consists of 8oz ground beef (80/20) and 3 tbsp of salted butter.  I also salted the meat and added some garlic salt and black pepper while it browned.  Tasted pretty dang good.  But it seems everyone says that and by Day 2 they're sick of it. 

The macros are supposed to put you into deep ketosis and break stalls.  I've been stalled out for a few weeks, and haven't been getting enough fat.  This will be roughly 1800 calories with 82% from fat, and just 18% from protein.  Only trace carbs.

I'll keep y'all updated.  It goes for 4 days.

with and e2 of 60 you'll have hard time losing fat and you're lucky if you're not having any ED side effects.  You need to get that down to around 20.  also, if 583 is your trough level you may need to bump up to twice weekly shots.

9 minutes ago, Elvis Presto said:

with and e2 of 60 you'll have hard time losing fat and you're lucky if you're not having any ED side effects.  You need to get that down to around 20.  also, if 583 is your trough level you may need to bump up to twice weekly shots.

I don't do shots. I take Clomid, as I mentioned.

Never had any ED problems, even with T below 200 total. 

6 minutes ago, Longhorn Al said:

I don't do shots. I take Clomid, as I mentioned.

Never had any ED problems, even with T below 200 total. 

Ah, i see.  I took 25mg of clomid and it got my T to around 780 and free of 19.  I added some t shots with the clomid and that bumped up my fat loss and gains in the gym.  You might consider bumping up to 50mg daily to see what that does for you.

Edited by Elvis Presto
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Elvis Presto said:

Ah, i see.  I took 25mg of clomid and it got my T to around 780 and free of 19.  I added some t shots with the clomid and that bumped up my fat loss and gains in the gym.  You might consider bumping up to 50mg daily to see what that does for you.

Yeah, this was the initial dosage to see how I reacted (25mg a day).  I took it years ago, but can't remember the results, and it was with a different doctor.  I go back to the endo at the end of July to reassess.  But I'm trying to get Arimidex or something sooner than that.  I hate being on a plateau.

I've had T shots in the past.  I always end up having 2nd thoughts because I hear about how it could cause permanent infertility if continued.  I don't have kids. I'd like to keep that door slightly ajar.  I've read that HCG + T shots has a better chance of maintaining fertility, but I'm still nervous.

2 minutes ago, Longhorn Al said:

Yeah, this was the initial dosage to see how I reacted (25mg a day).  I took it years ago, but can't remember the results, and it was with a different doctor.  I go back to the endo at the end of July to reassess.  But I'm trying to get Arimidex or something sooner than that.  I hate being on a plateau.

I've had T shots in the past.  I always end up having 2nd thoughts because I hear about how it could cause permanent infertility if continued.  I don't have kids. I'd like to keep that door slightly ajar.  I've read that HCG + T shots has a better chance of maintaining fertility, but I'm still nervous.

it wont cause permanent infertility.  If you take hcg or clomid with it will keep the nuts working like normal.  If you just take T for over 6 months it may lower your count but if you go off and just take clomid it will bring your count back up.  Clomid actually improves your sperm count so if you're trying for a kid it improves your chances.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, El Diablo said:

How is your energy level when fasting?

edit: By the way, that is a fantastic amount of weight loss, keep up the good work!

My energy is great.  On about day 4 of fasting the endorphins or whatever it is kick in and I'm pretty much giddy -  My wife says my good mood is starting to get annoying.  

Now - i am not doing any serious workout stuff, but i work in the yard, walk/hike for a few hours etc with no issues

271. Didn’t gain or lose anything over vacation. That’s a positive. Found a gym close to my house. Starting working out this morning. Got to get in to the routine of going every morning before work. My wife decided to sign up to as they have child care. She’s more interested in the spin and yoga classes.

I figured some lifting and 30 minutes of cardio every morning could expedite the weight loss. 

So I hit a stall and it was really bugging me.  Decided to man-mode it and go for a longer fast.  As of 7 pm today I'll be 96 hrs in.  I feel absolutely great.  Been walking and taking some salt-water and magnesium after to keep the electrolytes up.

I'm almost at four days and I've dropped 10 pounds.  That puts me at 88 down since the start of the year.  That puts me 50 down since the middle of March when I started keto.  This shit works, folks.

• Like 2