the trump election lawsuit thread of dominance

henrygandorf

2 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

State boards of Accountancy would never allow CPAs to act the way these lawyers have and keep their licenses. We actually have a code of ethics.

the ethics bar for lawyers is pretty damn law. You have to be a special kind of stupid to be disbarred 

7 hours ago, BamaATL said:

The mission of the bar system is not to license attorneys first and foremost.  The purpose is to, among its members; to improve the administration of justice and to advance the science of law.  Additionally, it's to bring a sense of duty and service to the general public.  In order to do so admitting members is part of that, but not central to the association.  Ethical and competency discipline/dismissal are a part of what it does for sure.  I'll even buy the limited resources argument, and I understand the general confidentiality of it all.  

In my opinion, taking the win is sometimes good enough.  In this instance it isn't.  But that is an opinion. 

Mandatory bar associations are all about licensing attorneys.  Any of that other stuff is a salutary side effect, if it even exists at all.

Some more perspective on bar associations,

At one time, they were all "integrated" bars, meaning professional associations combined with attorney-licensing entities.   And membership was mandatory, and the professional association aspect of it tended to take various positions on things that drifted over into politics, like the American Bar Association does today.

Some malcontents sued, claiming that mandatory membership and paying dues to a quasi-political organization in the form of the association end of things violated their First Amendment rights.  The courts rather quickly agreed, and many states separated the attorney-licensing aspect from the professional association aspect, and membership in the latter became strictly voluntary.

Texas has maintained an integrated bar, by mostly connecting The State Bar of Texas to the licensing and discipline of attorneys as well as "professional development" in the form of providing mandatory continuing legal education.  The Bar itself tends to avoid taking political or advocacy positions on things outside its fairly limited bailiwick.  The professional development arm of the Texas Bar does go a long way in insuring competence in actual areas that matter for a practicing attorney (cf. the bar exam), as well as fostering some collegiality and professionalism, but that's all mostly in the name of continuing education.  it has to stay extremely, maybe excessively politically even-handed lest some malconent crop up and destroy it.

So, in many states, the "bar" that does licensing and discipline is completely separate from the touchy-feely professional association.  In some, they're the same, but the professional association has to avoid politics as does SBOT.

Edited by TwiceHorn

• 3 months later...

The Kraken has been released.  Well, given probation.  For some reason, probably in that recorded statement:

Sidney K. Powell, a member of Donald J. Trump’s legal team after he lost the 2020 election, pleaded guilty on Thursday morning to six misdemeanor counts instead of facing a criminal trial that was to begin next week. She was among 19 defendants, including Mr. Trump, who were indicted in August for their efforts to subvert the election results in Georgia.

Ms. Powell, 68, who appeared in a downtown Atlanta courtroom, was sentenced to six years of probation for conspiracy to commit intentional interference of election duties. That is a significantly less-severe outcome than she would have faced if found guilty of the charges for which she was originally indicted, which included a violation of the state racketeering law.

She was also fined $6,000 and agreed to pay $2,700 restitution to the state of Georgia, as well as write an apology letter to its citizens.

Prosecutors said in court that Ms. Powell had given them a recorded statement on Wednesday as part of her plea deal. She has agreed to testify against any of the 17 remaining defendants. Ms. Powell has also agreed to turn over documents in her possession related to the case.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...

https://apnews.com/article/georgia-elections-true-vote-ballot-stuffing-199113b47bc2df79c63fdf007cd23115

SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) — A conservative group has told a Georgia judge that it doesn’t have evidence to support its claims of illegal ballot stuffing during the the 2020 general election and a runoff two months later.

• Rage+1 1
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 7/8/2023 at 2:57 PM, Chad Fuck said:

Almost as bad as doctors, but not quite.

I didn’t know you were a lawyer.

Edit: Whoa, I didn’t notice how old that post was. Lulz. Still, I’ll leave my reply as is.  :)

Edited by WhatTheBuck

3 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

https://apnews.com/article/georgia-elections-true-vote-ballot-stuffing-199113b47bc2df79c63fdf007cd23115

SAVANNAH, Ga. (AP) — A conservative group has told a Georgia judge that it doesn’t have evidence to support its claims of illegal ballot stuffing during the the 2020 general election and a runoff two months later.

Season 1 What GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I didn’t know you were a lawyer.

Edit: Whoa, I didn’t notice how old that post was. Lulz. Still, I’ll leave my reply as is.  :)

Aged, but still true.  Dime a dozen around here, apparently.

tony-stark-lexrex.gif

41 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

when are some heads gonna fucking roll?

Motherfucker had better sing like a canary.

On October 20, 2023, he pleaded guilty to one felony count of conspiracy to commit filing false documents. As part of his plea bargain, Chesebro accepted five years of PROBATION, $5,000 in restitution, 100 hours of community service, and agreed to testify against Donald Trump and the remaining defendants.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

On 7/6/2023 at 11:32 AM, cactusflinthead said:

It was the Freemasons.

i’ve been a lawyer too long, and become too old and cynical.  Somewhere in the back of my brain is the thought that since Lin Wood was involved in so much crap at the time, that if he has ever needed as a witness to testify against his former insurrectionists, no DA in their right mind would call a Nutter like him because he would be crossed on the Freemasons and other nuttery

And he might get a pass from some future prosecutor who thinks it’s just not worth his time.  

7 hours ago, bolverk said:

Motherfucker had better sing like a canary.

On October 20, 2023, he pleaded guilty to one felony count of conspiracy to commit filing false documents. As part of his plea bargain, Chesebro accepted five years of PROBATION, $5,000 in restitution, 100 hours of community service, and agreed to testify against Donald Trump and the remaining defendants.

I’ll bet he’s going to come down with a severe case of amnesia.

• 1 month later...

Pro-Trump attorney arrested after hearing over leaking Dominion documents

An attorney facing criminal charges for illegally accessing Michigan voting machines after the 2020 election was arrested Monday after a hearing in a separate case in federal court in Washington, D.C.

Stefanie Lambert was arrested by U.S. Marshals after a hearing over possible sanctions against her for disseminating confidential emails from Dominion Voting Systems, the target of conspiracy theories over former President Donald Trump's 2020 election loss. Lambert obtained the Dominion emails by representing Patrick Byrne, a prominent funder of election conspiracy theorists who is being sued by Dominion for defamation.

In a statement, the Marshals office said Lambert was arrested on "local charges." A Michigan judge earlier this month issued a bench warrant for Lambert after she missed a hearing in her case, in which she's charged with four felonies for accessing voting machines in a search for evidence of a conspiracy theory against Trump. Lambert had earlier, unsuccessfully, sued to overturn Trump's loss in Michigan.

cont'd: https://www.npr.org/2024/03/18/1239384735/pro-trump-attorney-arrested-after-hearing-over-leaking-dominion-documents

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 3

• 2 weeks later...