DT: COVID-19 - Let's talk about Fat fucks

BabaYaga

2 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

data shows >30 as higher risk but >40 is the real "tipping point". Like 12x more likely to die for those <60.

If only these was something me and my family could focus on besides mask usage and distancing to better protect me in the event I do catch it?  Such a mystery.  

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

Read this again

Then this

And put the two together - the vector with this disease and the unhealthy is astronomical in terms of comorbidity factors.  Weight gain.  Adipose tissue and the spread of the virus.  Consideration for obesity and Vit D.  Cardiorespitory fitness levels and the virus.  The overall message is the severity of the virus on those that are obese and how this is such a non-factor for most?  The disconnect is staggering?  Especially with the mortality numbers for those that are obese

Some light reading on the topic

Dozens of articles on the subject

Who thinks obesity is a non-factor?  Did you just become aware that poor lifestyle choices can lead to more health issues?  The health crisis was here long before COVID, and will be here long after it is gone.  I'm all for discussing ways for incentivize Americans to become more healthy for many reasons, including making the next pandemic less likely or severe, but acting like the problem is only related to COVID, or that COVID should serve as some sort of wakeup call is again ignoring the bigger problem.  The time to do something to address the COVID mortality rate in your specified demographic was decades ago.

32 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

LOL, virtually everyone is wearing them.  They are all but mandatory everywhere you go.  

I mean, this is objectively true in Austin, but I went through New Braunfels Sunday morning and didn't see one person wearing a mask, plus none at the wildlife park except the lady selling tickets.  Every restaurant was packed too.  So no fucks given in Comal County.  I guess it all depends where you are.  We're fucking doomed.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, aggie08 said:

Is OP really under the impression that obese people don't already realize that their weight puts them at greater risk for most health concerns, including this one? Like, seriously? "Hmm, I can deal with the looming threat of heart disease and diabetes. But COVID too? NOW I'll really change my habits and listen to my doctor because the government strenuously asked me to."

What an utterly pointless thought exercise.

Agree completely.  It's like telling a smoker they should quit because it's bad for them.  No fucking shit.  No smoker ever heard someone they love tell them they should quit because it's unhealthy and said, "Damn, you're right!  I never though of it like that before!  I'm quitting for good right now!"

Telling fat people that being fat is bad for them won't change anything. They already know.  Although, watching Trump do some PSA's about weight loss is something that I sure would enjoy.

This thread isn't really about fat people, but simply whataboutism. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Who thinks obesity is a non-factor?  Did you just become aware that poor lifestyle choices can lead to more health issues?  The health crisis was here long before COVID, and will be here long after it is gone.  I'm all for discussing ways for incentivize Americans to become more healthy for many reasons, including making the next pandemic less likely or severe, but acting like the problem is only related to COVID, or that COVID should serve as some sort of wakeup call is again ignoring the bigger problem.  The time to do something to address the COVID mortality rate in your specified demographic was decades ago.

This is absurd?  Decades ago?  So just....do nothing?  Isolate and treat them separately?  Ignore the mountains of evidence and studies that directly tie obesity as arguably the single worst comorbidity factor as it relates to survivability?  You don't think that there are tens of millions of men, women, and children on the cusp that could course correct?  Because we didn't start this 9 months ago there's no point now?  What exactly is your point even?  To NOT use this window to address this crisis seems foolish.  

1 minute ago, Hefeweizen said:

I mean, this is objectively true in Austin, but I went through New Braunfels Sunday morning and didn't see one person wearing a mask, plus none at the wildlife park except the lady selling tickets.  Every restaurant was packed too.  So no fucks given in Comal County.  I guess it all depends where you are.  We're fucking doomed.

So people were not wearing them outside at a nature park?  Or a restaurant where you are expressly told you can take them off once seated?  Are you suggesting we do what CA mandated to wear them between bites of food?

3 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Agree completely.  It's like telling a smoker they should quit because it's bad for them.  No fucking shit.  No smoker ever heard someone they love tell them they should quit because it's unhealthy and said, "Damn, you're right!  I never though of it like that before!  I'm quitting for good right now!"

Telling fat people that being fat is bad for them won't change anything. They already know.  Although, watching Trump do some PSA's about weight loss is something that I sure would enjoy.

And yet fewer and fewer people smoke?  Why do you think that is?

Of course that's what it is. This entire thread exists so that folks who can't be bothered to be responsible members of society can make themselves feel better.

2 minutes ago, BradInATX said:
14 minutes ago, Samson said:

Of course that's what it is. This entire thread exists so that folks who can't be bothered to be responsible members of society can make themselves feel better.

Oh look, Brad with ANOTHER strawman, that's fucking weird.  It's not like I posted a link to more than 30 articles from around the world linking the dangerous correlations of obesity and COVID.

Just a sample of one:

We found that obesity is associated with increased risk of mortality among patients admitted to the hospital with COVID‐19. For every increase from one BMI category to the next, there was a 70% increased risk of mortality.

This is a little more sophisticated than saying "its bad for you".  This is quantifying how astronomically higher your chances of dying are when obese.  But yeah.....it's about "feeling better"....Imagine CNN and FOX running a headline saying BMI category increases could lead to a 70% increased risk of mortality?  

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Oh look, Brad with ANOTHER strawman, that's fucking weird.  It's not like I posted a link to more than 30 articles from around the world linking the dangerous correlations of obesity and COVID.

Just a sample of one:

This is a little more sophisticated than saying "its bad for you".  This is quantifying how astronomically higher your chances of dying are when obese.  But yeah.....it's about "feeling better"....Imagine CNN and FOX running a headline saying BMI category increases could lead to a 70% increased risk of mortality?  

They hear from their doctor that they're 50% (or whatever) more likely to suffer a heart attack or get diabetes every year. But fine, I'll budge. Some news stories detailing the cold, hard correlation numbers certainly wouldn't hurt, and it should be mentioned now that the data is pretty well understood. But you can't honestly believe that it would make a discernable difference for this pandemic. I guess from a "if it saves one life..." perspective.

50 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I suppose we do all do copious amounts of blow and lose weight real fast, but Junior seems to be hoarding it all.  

I think smoking helped keep Americans from gaining weight for a long time. How well does the rise in obesity correlate with the push to stop smoking?

doesn’t lots of Europe still smoke, at least more so than the USA?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

They hear from their doctor that they're 50% (or whatever) more likely to suffer a heart attack or get diabetes every year. But fine, I'll budge. Some news stories detailing the cold, hard correlation numbers certainly wouldn't hurt, and it should be mentioned now that the data is pretty well understood. But you can't honestly believe that it would make a discernable difference for this pandemic. I guess from a "if it saves one life..." perspective.

COVID is on the front page of every publication on earth.  How we can point to the hundreds of thousands of deaths and not look at preventable methods that people themselves can engaged in besides mask wearing and distancing is mind bottling.  Or even just acceptable Vit D levels.  We're not exactly dealing with a scarcity of resources here as it comes to information?  It's not a finite commodity that we have to dole out in scarce amounts.  All I'm saying is you have the perfect window to lead with this message and so far....nothing.  People aren't hunkering in their houses and cancelling entire holiday plans because of diabetes and heart attacks.  

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I think smoking helped keep Americans from gaining weight for a long time. How well does the rise in obesity correlate with the push to stop smoking?

I think a better correlation is the rise in pre-packaged foods and lifestyle changes.  LOTS more obese people than were smokers, especially in the very young.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, StruggleBus said:

Do you wear a shirt when you go swimming? 

I always had more respect for fat dudes who just YOLO it and go shirtless than the ones who wear a shirt. Like do they think that if they took their shirt off, everyone is going to suddenly realize they're fat?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hefeweizen said:

thats interesting.  I was in San Marcos Saturday and everywhere indoors it was 90%+ mask usage from what I could tell...

29 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Asia does big time.  lots a skinny people over there.  I think it depends on the country in Europe.   the push for legal weed should help though.

55 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

This is absurd?  Decades ago?  So just....do nothing?  Isolate and treat them separately?  Ignore the mountains of evidence and studies that directly tie obesity as arguably the single worst comorbidity factor as it relates to survivability?  You don't think that there are tens of millions of men, women, and children on the cusp that could course correct?  Because we didn't start this 9 months ago there's no point now?  What exactly is your point even?  To NOT use this window to address this crisis seems foolish.  

Yes, decades ago.  You think older obese people just recently adopted the behaviors that contributed to them becoming that way?  And who said do nothing?  If you can get tens of millions of men, women, and children to change their lifestyles, then do it.  Being fat is bad for you, and makes you more likely to die if you catch COVID, or pretty much any other disease.  No one is arguing that.  If you are saying that our efforts for fighting COVID should be focused more on battling obesity than avoiding catching it to begin with and improved treatments, then go fuck yourself.  Luckily, none of these strategies is mutually exclusive.  Do it.  Wave your magic wand and make everyone thin and healthy.  

Seriously, what is your solution to get people who have ignored sound health advice for the majority of their lives to suddenly have it click and effect meaningful change?  Let's hear it.  Certainly you have something more than "fat people should lose weight,"  which no one has disputed.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Yes, decades ago.  You think older obese people just recently adopted the behaviors that contributed to them becoming that way?  And who said do nothing?  If you can get tens of millions of men, women, and children to change their lifestyles, then do it.  Being fat is bad for you, and makes you more likely to die if you catch COVID, or pretty much any other disease.  No one is arguing that.  If you are saying that our efforts for fighting COVID should be focused more on battling obesity than avoiding catching it to begin with and improved treatments, then go fuck yourself.  Luckily, none of these strategies is mutually exclusive.  Do it.  Wave your magic wand and make everyone thin and healthy.  

Seriously, what is your solution to get people who have ignored sound health advice for the majority of their lives to suddenly have it click and effect meaningful change?  Let's hear it.  Certainly you have something more than "fat people should lose weight,"  which no one has disputed.  

You keep saying "bad for you".  COVID is also "bad for you".  But how bad?  Are there behavioral changes in the wake of a pandemic that differ from earlier patterns?  In a pandemic, do you have a 1,200% higher chance of dying at a certain BMI threshold?  Yes.  Are you at a more than 70% higher threshold of mortality at every BMI threshold you hit?  Also yes.  

We all know you can lead a horse to water.  That is all I'm saying, that it would be a perfect time to start introducing these metrics as part of the overall preventative measures we are taking.  Many, many people are wearing masks, distancing, and practicing proper hygiene.  But there are so many more things that need to be a part of the national conversation.  

28 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

You keep saying "bad for you".  COVID is also "bad for you".  But how bad?  Are there behavioral changes in the wake of a pandemic that differ from earlier patterns?  In a pandemic, do you have a 1,200% higher chance of dying at a certain BMI threshold?  Yes.  Are you at a more than 70% higher threshold of mortality at every BMI threshold you hit?  Also yes.  

We all know you can lead a horse to water.  That is all I'm saying, that it would be a perfect time to start introducing these metrics as part of the overall preventative measures we are taking.  Many, many people are wearing masks, distancing, and practicing proper hygiene.  But there are so many more things that need to be a part of the national conversation.  

Got it.  You think that the data that pertain to obese people who catch COVID are so overwhelming that they are going to be the catalyst that leads to actual behavioral change, and that all that is needed is for the message to get out there.  If I were one of these fat fucks, my first thought would likely be, "oh shit, I better not catch COVID, why are people not being more careful to stop it from spreading" rather than "hmmm, I probably shouldn't have that 7th doughnut, just in case."    I could be wrong, though, and as far as I'm concerned, it is never the wrong time to educate people on ways to improve their health.  

So what is your plan for getting the message out there, or did you think ranting about it here would get it done?

Fat folks need a grievance study degree. Right now they sort of get penciled into "weight" and "fatness" and "BMI" are white, imperialist, racist constructs, but to really completely disregard science and facts you need a Ford Foundation-funded, full-scale grievance study curriculum. Then we can completely disregard medicine and data for people's feelings.

24 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I'm surprised babayaga pivoted so fast from "Mexicans are bringing disease" to "fat people are the problem". Maybe I should work up a bingo card for all the things driving covid BESIDES FAILING TO TAKE ACTION ON A NATIONAL SCALE FOR THE LAST NINE FUCKING MONTHS

NO ONE IS WEARING MASKS!!!  BODIES IN TREES!!!

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I'm surprised babayaga pivoted so fast from "Mexicans are bringing disease" to "fat people are the problem". Maybe I should work up a bingo card for all the things driving covid BESIDES FAILING TO TAKE ACTION ON A NATIONAL SCALE FOR THE LAST NINE FUCKING MONTHS

I'm also not surprised you are such a chuckle-fuck as to yet fuck up yet another point - again, as you need me to type slower - it's people going to EP to Juarez, not Juarez to EP.  You got that dick breath?  Need me to type it out again?  Anything else you want to misrepresent in your quest to be the absolute fucking worst poster on this site?

59 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I was going to post this. It’s amazing how it’s always SOMEONE’S fault that this pandemic is so bad but NEVER the US government’s poor national response, allowing states to go on their own, in way different methods, while the federal government screams about MUH FREEDOMS.

The Chinese, the Mexicans, fat people, millennials are all to blame. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

So what is your plan for getting the message out there, or did you think ranting about it here would get it done?

Oh, I'm sorry.  Did I fuck up?  I thought this was a message board, where ideas are bounced around.  My sincerest fucking apologies for not having a fully vetted plan and daring to question the strong correlation between COVID and curable comorbidities.  Let me get going on my white paper and get right back to you, as I'm hashing out the very granular and specific details to get Urban fucking Myer on campus.  I'll have to get back with you on this....

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I was going to post this. It’s amazing how it’s always SOMEONE’S fault that this pandemic is so bad but NEVER the US government’s poor national response, allowing states to go on their own, in way different methods, while the federal government screams about MUH FREEDOMS.

Oh, cute - another misrepresentation on causation.  Who the fuck is attributing blame?

But right.  We definitely should not be taking the time to analyze the clear and obvious comorbidity factors that individuals can take to better enhance their chances of survival should they catch the disease.  

1 minute ago, BabaYaga said:

But right.  We definitely should not be taking the time to analyze the clear and obvious comorbidity factors that individuals can take to better enhance their chances of survival should they catch the disease.  

Just imagine if there were basic health practices that if we had implemented and drove nationally, then we wouldn't have to worry so much about their "chances of survival" when they catch the disease because some Karen didn't want to wear a mask and insisted that the whole family come round for turkey day

30 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Nope just the Chinese.  Fuck China.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Just imagine if there were basic health practices that if we had implemented and drove nationally, then we wouldn't have to worry so much about their "chances of survival" when they catch the disease because some Karen didn't want to wear a mask and insisted that the whole family come round for turkey day

Europe has had a forced mask mandate for 9 months.  maybe we should all go to Europe where it is gone.

This is a global virus that's affecting different regions at different times. Why should we have a singular national response to this?

There should be an appropriate course of action when cities and zip codes hit certain levels. Austin TX shouldn't have had the same response as NYC in March at the same time.

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, smoky said:

This is a global virus that's affecting different regions at different times. Why should we have a singular national response to this?

There should be an appropriate course of action when cities and zip codes hit certain levels. Austin TX shouldn't have had the same response as NYC in March at the same time.

Well basic shit like masks and social distancing should be followed regardless. And my comment was moreso wishing we had a coordinated national response. For fucks sake, states were in bidding wars with eachother for PPE, and when they were able to close a purchase it would get seized for the federal stockpile. 

What's happening in NYC shouldn't mean we all do the same thing everywhere right now, but we should use a common and known good playbook when it is our turn. Because we shouldn't have to keep learning and relearning the same lesson over and over. 

We're riding up a 3rd and highest peak for hospitalizations and deaths for fucks sake. But yeah, let's solve obesity first. Because people LOVE to be told what they should eat and how to live. That will be the most expedient and direct way to unfuck ourselves. 

Edited by Captainant

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Well basic shit like masks and social distancing should be followed regardless. And my comment was moreso wishing we had a coordinated national response. For fucks sake, states were in bidding wars with eachother for PPE, and when they were able to close a purchase it would get seized for the federal stockpile. 

What's happening in NYC shouldn't mean we all do the same thing everywhere right now, but we should use a common and known good playbook when it is our turn. Because we shouldn't have to keep learning and relearning the same lesson over and over. 

We're riding up a 3rd and highest peak for hospitalizations and deaths for fucks sake. But yeah, let's solve obesity first. Because people LOVE to be told what they should eat and how to live. That will be the most expedient and direct way to unfuck ourselves. 

yes it would have been nice if the smart guys hadn't said masks don't really help at the beginning...

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, idigTexas said:

True for the oldest demos, but nutrition changes alone can allow America's middle aged fat asses to shed 100+ lbs in a year. And no prominent (or any?) politician has been willimg to say as much. 

At this point I assume you and aggie08 are super fat, grasping at twizzler straws

Speaking from personal experience, the biggest issue is trump and fox news down playing this rather than simply encouraging people to respect it and get healthy and wear masks. It's the only source of news for way too many high riskers.

Edited by B00M

38 minutes ago, B00M said:

At this point I assume you and aggie08 are super fat, grasping at twizzler straws

You would be incorrect. I'm normally all about fat shaming. Just not when it's such an obvious, "Look at these guys over here who are the real problem!"

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Oh, I'm sorry.  Did I fuck up?  I thought this was a message board, where ideas are bounced around.  My sincerest fucking apologies for not having a fully vetted plan and daring to question the strong correlation between COVID and curable comorbidities.  Let me get going on my white paper and get right back to you, as I'm hashing out the very granular and specific details to get Urban fucking Myer on campus.  I'll have to get back with you on this....

Yes, you fucked up.  You are not wrong that this is a message board where ideas can be shared and discussed.  When you actually have an idea instead of a giant steaming pile of thinly veiled whining ill-conceived agenda-driven fat shaming COVID finger pointing nonsense, feel free to post it here.     

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, B00M said:

True for the oldest demos, but nutrition changes alone can allow America's middle aged fat asses to shed 100+ lbs in a year. And no prominent (or any?) politician has been willimg to say as much. 

Speaking from personal experience, the biggest issue is trump and fox news down playing this rather than simply encouraging people to respect it and get healthy and wear masks. It's the only source of news for way too many high riskers.

For the record, I am 100% in favor of the obesity epidemic being discussed at all levels of the political spectrum, and it absolutely needs more media coverage.  It is a very serious and expensive problem.   This opinion piece primarily evaluates the Democratic candidates on this issue during last years campaigns, but the problem is with both sides.   

Fat shaming and scare tactics will work on a small percentage of people, but understanding the root causes and implementing real solutions goes way beyond "get your fat ass off the couch and eat more salad."  That is the same as telling a drug addict or smoker to just stop, or a depressed person to "be happy."  

If you feel strongly enough about it to bring it up here, do something useful, and write to your congressperson or news station.  

• Hook 'Em 2

24 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

For the record, I am 100% in favor of the obesity epidemic being discussed at all levels of the political spectrum, and it absolutely needs more media coverage.  It is a very serious and expensive problem.   This opinion piece primarily evaluates the Democratic candidates on this issue during last years campaigns, but the problem is with both sides.   

Fat shaming and scare tactics will work on a small percentage of people, but understanding the root causes and implementing real solutions goes way beyond "get your fat ass off the couch and eat more salad."  That is the same as telling a drug addict or smoker to just stop, or a depressed person to "be happy."  

If you feel strongly enough about it to bring it up here, do something useful, and write to your congressperson or news station.  

From the cheap seats I'm tossing in my opinion on the opinion piece's statement regarding health care costs per year of about $200 billion is that certain powerful interests would rather we not solve the obesity epidemic as it's making them quite wealthy in the short term.

I've put an order in for the book, Our Malady, by Timothy Snyder wherein he discusses issues related to how we got to here.

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

From the cheap seats I'm tossing in my opinion on the opinion piece's statement regarding health care costs per year of about $200 billion is that certain powerful interests would rather we not solve the obesity epidemic as it's making them quite wealthy in the short term.

I've put an order in for the book, Our Malady, by Timothy Snyder wherein he discusses issues related to how we got to here.

Agreed, which is obviously the biggest hurdle to getting politicians behind any meaningful solution.

That is why I ordered the book. I learned of it on a podcast and the author (he also wrote On Tyranny among other books) broaches the topic of healthcare as a fundamental right. Since I haven't yet read the book, going off of the interview it was along the lines of without the physical freedom of our health (being treated as a fundamental right), the other freedoms don't matter as there is no corporeal ability to enliven them. I'm hoping I portrayed his meaning correctly as I understood it to be.

I don't have any answers though. Many years ago when my babies were small, I would read aloud while they were napping. (Little babies don't care what you read then, the sound of your voice is soothing and if you've ever had a colicky baby--enough said). The library had a book by Barbara Eihenrich called 'Nickel and Diimed: Undercover in Low Wage America" and another one, 'Fast Food Nation' (which you've probably heard of as it is popular) that I read and though I read those about a decade ago, it doesn't seem like we've made any progress at all. That goes down the road of politics and I don't wish to clutter up the fatty thread, so I'll return to the CR. Suffice it to say, though, obesity is simple on the surface but complex overall.