Bourbon

Jimbaround

Would y’all believe me if I told you I’ve drink much more vodka than bourbon this month? 

Give me a Tito’s and Topo Chico over Jack and Coke every day of the week. My committee discontinued Gentleman Jack in the tent.
All will return to normal after rodeo. At least Tito’s is made with corn. 

March has been the month of tequila for me, partly due to vacations. Some has been straight, while most had been ranch waters or margs. Key differences:
+No hangover
+Fewer calories
+Pairs well with Tajin
-Doesn’t taste as good as bourbon
-More after hours pee trips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t pay 100 for any GB, but that’s just me and Herbie Hancock.
I just can’t get into anything they have done. Just not my jam.
I’d rather drink Still Austin if I’m drinking Texas bourbon.

Fuckin A. BigD can speak for me any and every time. F a bunch of GB

Took the advice and shied away from it. Instead I went blindly with this bottle. Never had it. I think I MAY have read something about it. Not sure. I figure I can’t ask everybody on here about every bottle I may consider buying. But I do appreciate the input on the GB.

ed68cb51e74ddd49f6cb4fa615cf1047.jpg
  • Like 1

1895b0dc939d1fcff598f3ed812946a8.jpg
The oak definitely stands out and seemingly enhances the spiciness of the pour. I’ll admit that my palate is not very refined. But I could taste notes of orange and vanilla. It’s not extremely sweet to me. That’s about as far as my palate takes me right now. One of the reviews said that there are “earthy notes of summer pine and high desert moss.” So now I gotta find some samples of summer pine and desert moss. Because I’ve never tasted those things. Definitely happy that I bought it because I am enjoying it.

• Like 1

I'm revisited the Benchmark Bonded tonight in a proper Glencairn instead of a plastic cup. 

Pretty ethanol forward on the nose. Sweet on the first drop on the palette, but it settles down pretty quickly into a solid-ish drinker that tastes like what it is. Older, higher proof Benchmark. It's not the EHT Taylor Small Batch replacement we were hoping for. Hell, it's not even Early Times BiB good, but you can do a lot worse for $25. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

I’m in Houston for the week, is there any place I should get to in order to find something unusual? Or is it pretty much the same as Austin, and I’ll just drop into whatever the closest total/specs/wb store I can find?

What part of town are you in? There’s a couple places with store picks. 

11 hours ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

I’m in Houston for the week, is there any place I should get to in order to find something unusual? Or is it pretty much the same as Austin, and I’ll just drop into whatever the closest total/specs/wb store I can find?

Try both Goody Goodys.  That's likely your best bet.

1 minute ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Midtown.

You can try and run into one at Spec’s Midtown. They put everything out at opening every day. If you went Monday - Friday at 10 am, good chance you run into something. 

Total Wines in Houston are weird. I still can’t figure out which one is their flagship store. Memorial is very picked through. Might have better success at San Felipe, Studemont, or Holcombe. 

There are only two Goody Goody’s in Houston. Woodway and Highway 6. The Highway 6 location is pretty far from Midtown. Woodway hasn’t been good recently. 

Roma Liquor usually has pretty good picks, and they seem to have a pretty nice Discovery pipeline. They’re up on the Northwest side on Antoine.

Ly’s in Eado also has really good picks. They’re owned by the same family as NASA Liquor. So if you don’t want to drive down way down south to NASA, I’d recommend Ly’s. 

Ryan’s Liquor is a good spot, but they’re in Spring. 

I think they’re a bit overrated, but Rice Fine Wines & Liquor is decent. 

Not sure where you’re coming from, but if you’re driving back to Austin or San Antonio, the Longhorn Liquor in Katy is your safest bet. They always have something worth buying. 

You can try and run into one at Spec’s Midtown. They put everything out at opening every day. If you went Monday - Friday at 10 am, good chance you run into something. 

Total Wines in Houston are weird. I still can’t figure out which one is their flagship store. Memorial is very picked through. Might have better success at San Felipe, Studemont, or Holcombe. 

There are only two Goody Goody’s in Houston. Woodway and Highway 6. The Highway 6 location is pretty far from Midtown. Woodway hasn’t been good recently. 

Roma Liquor usually has pretty good picks, and they seem to have a pretty nice Discovery pipeline. They’re up on the Northwest side on Antoine.
Ly’s in Eado also has really good picks. They’re owned by the same family as NASA Liquor. So if you don’t want to drive down way down south to NASA, I’d recommend Ly’s. 

Ryan’s Liquor is a good spot, but they’re in Spring. 

I think they’re a bit overrated, but Rice Fine Wines & Liquor is decent. 

Not sure where you’re coming from, but if you’re driving back to Austin or San Antonio, the Longhorn Liquor in Katy is your safest bet. They always have something worth buying. 

Thanks! I’m at nasa today, so I’ll try to check out nasa liquor

On 3/12/2022 at 8:15 PM, Txslnghrns said:

The oak definitely stands out and seemingly enhances the spiciness of the pour. I’ll admit that my palate is not very refined. But I could taste notes of orange and vanilla. It’s not extremely sweet to me. That’s about as far as my palate takes me right now. One of the reviews said that there are “earthy notes of summer pine and high desert moss.” So now I gotta find some samples of summer pine and desert moss. Because I’ve never tasted those things. Definitely happy that I bought it because I am enjoying it.

Neither has the reviewer

3 hours ago, Eggo said:

Haven't been hunting much lately but stopped into the store for some Carpano Antica and snagged a couple ryes. 

20220315_131853.jpg

I really like my bottle of that KC.  I thought the PG was ok, but only had one pour at a party.

On 3/12/2022 at 8:15 PM, Txslnghrns said:

JFC, don’t wine my bourbon or Silicon Valley my Austin.  I could see an earthy note or a pine note, but summer pine or high desert moss is a bridge too far. 

On 3/13/2022 at 10:07 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I'm revisited the Benchmark Bonded tonight in a proper Glencairn instead of a plastic cup. 

Pretty ethanol forward on the nose. Sweet on the first drop on the palette, but it settles down pretty quickly into a solid-ish drinker that tastes like what it is. Older, higher proof Benchmark. It's not the EHT Taylor Small Batch replacement we were hoping for. Hell, it's not even Early Times BiB good, but you can do a lot worse for $25. 

I kept seeing those at my local place and never could pull the trigger( skeered of cheap whiskey)

Got this instead:$41

Heaven-Hill.jpg

Edited by slorch

On 3/14/2022 at 2:29 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

Total Wine is frustrating. There seems to be no rhyme or reason with individual stores. Holcombe location was terrible for a while, then had a month of getting some nice bottles (I got a Blood Oath, Smoke Wagon U/U, and a 107 there within a 1-2 week span last year), then really nothing since. Like you said, Memorial location attracts the hunters. San Felipe location has been bad for a while.

Some family circumstances have kept me off the bourbon search over the last few months, but doesn't look like I'm missing out on very much. I'll occasionally pop into WB Liquors when I shop at Costco, they have had nothing worthwhile so far this year.  

Total Wine is frustrating. There seems to be no rhyme or reason with individual stores. Holcombe location was terrible for a while, then had a month of getting some nice bottles (I got a Blood Oath, Smoke Wagon U/U, and a 107 there within a 1-2 week span last year), then really nothing since. Like you said, Memorial location attracts the hunters. San Felipe location has been bad for a while.
Some family circumstances have kept me off the bourbon search over the last few months, but doesn't look like I'm missing out on very much. I'll occasionally pop into WB Liquors when I shop at Costco, they have had nothing worthwhile so far this year.  

Wb has been having the jack daniels single barrel rye for $45. That is definitely worth a try. I’m not much of a JD fan, but that bottle tastes nothing like their other products that I’ve had. Very good.

Wish I could find the barrel proof version of that one.

26 minutes ago, KeysPhoneWallet said:

Wb has been having the jack daniels single barrel rye for $45. That is definitely worth a try. I’m not much of a JD fan, but that bottle tastes nothing like their other products that I’ve had. Very good.

I agree that's a good bottle, but pretty easy to find. Spec's usually has it. 

47 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Yeah Total Wine Houston doesn’t really follow a pattern. No “truck days”, no putting everything out at opening. They just pull the box and put it out, and it flies away as soon as a Houston Bourbon Hound posts a pic. My best scores at the San Felipe Total Wine are

- OF SiB 100 proof

- OF SiB Barrel Strength

- A good 1792 Full Proof pick

- Old Scout Barrel Strength Rye

That is pretty piss pour over a 5 year period. 

The Memorial location never has anything. My friend lives nearby, and I don’t even bother passing along tips to him anymore. He’s been up there 6-7 times I had a “tip” and of course they’re already out. Based on Houston Bourbon Hound activity, I think there are a couple fellas that drop in everyday on their way home from work. 

It seems like Grand Parkway and Pearland are the best locations in Greater Houston. But even in Pearland, it flies off the shelf. They sold out of Four Roses Cask Strength in about an hour. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I stop at the Sawyer Heights TW location regularly since it's on my way home from work, and I've never seen anything there that isn't a shelf sitter. A manager there told a friend that that store focuses on wine more than bourbon, and they don't get as many allocated bottles as other stores, but mentioned that the store gets a ton of traffic and people looking for bourbon, so maybe that could change in the future

I don't go to Holcombe as often, but the only interesting bottle I've found there was a Nikka Coffey Grain

I know someone who stops at San Felipe during his lunch break pretty often, and he lands a EHT/ER/OWA level bottle every once in awhile, but I imagine they get a ton of people popping in and out considering the location; I'm guessing that location probably gets the most allocated bottles 

The put allocated bottles out randomly thing seems great in theory for those of us who don't have the time to follow trucks or go to midweek store openings, but I think the TWs now have hunters who hang around all day or check in periodically, which kills the odds of randomly popping in and scoring something interesting 

Edited by Fud
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Memorial location never has anything. My friend lives nearby, and I don’t even bother passing along tips to him anymore. He’s been up there 6-7 times I had a “tip” and of course they’re already out. Based on Houston Bourbon Hound activity, I think there are a couple fellas that drop in everyday on their way home from work. 

I've met one of the everyday dudes at TW Memorial. Really nice guy and loves to talk about bourbon, and he's not selfish or secretive about what he finds there. But yeah, knowing that he's dropping in their everyday at 10am (and probably a few others)...I don't bother making that drive anymore. 

Was at my local shop and they had Kentucky Owl behind the counter, limit 1. It was $110.00. I love bourbon, but not enough to pay that much for one bottle. I know that's blasphemy to many here, but I'm not a Surly 1%er and couldn't bring myself to do it. 

Was at my local shop and they had Kentucky Owl behind the counter, limit 1. It was $110.00. I love bourbon, but not enough to pay that much for one bottle. I know that's blasphemy to many here, but I'm not a Surly 1%er and couldn't bring myself to do it. 

It was Confiscated I imagine and you probably made the right choice

It’ll probably be there the next time you’re in… and the next. Those things sit in stores longer than beer cardboard cutouts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk