Bourbon

Jimbaround

3 minutes ago, USCATX said:

It’s very inoffensive and tolerable.  Not actively bad like many other brands working through Texas angle. 

I was shocked. I had never heard of it. I was like OK this is a gimmick with TX on the bottle for marketing. It wasn't bad at all. Was it the game? I dunno. I thought it fairly smooth and smokey. 

14 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

how much is “more”?  if you wanna venmo me $100 i can go buy you 2 bottles + shipping to you.  it’s at cvs and target here. 3 years is a long time. 

I paid $85 for it off the shelf. I’m good for now, gonna slow sip it for a while.

I’ve never once had a bad batch of Barrell Bourbon or Rye. Now, if you go for the infinite barrel, the American whiskey, a store pick, or some of their other more niche products, your experience could vary greatly.

Of their newer releases I’ve had the Gold Label ($500 SRP) and the Gray Label Seagrass, and both of those are delicious. Can you say the Good Label is $500 good? I think that’s super tough. But it’s got great depth of flavor and a great finish.

People get so hung up on the $80 SRP for their core releases, but they are doing great work blending sourced distillate and it’s readily available with almost no secondary market. I think more of the category should be in the $70-$90 range to slow down the secondary market, even if it’s just a little.

But hey, don’t listen to me. Leave it alone so it remains readily available please.

• Like 1

Just now, billfromlaketravis said:

I've been dragging my feet on Seagrass. Can somebody give a breakdown as to where it's sourced from and how long it's aged? 

No idea of the sourcing, but I have one and I really enjoy it. It’s wild ride of flavors. All over the place, but in a fun way. 

10 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

No idea of the sourcing, but I have one and I really enjoy it. It’s wild ride of flavors. All over the place, but in a fun way. 

I skipped Barrell's table at the Houston Whiskey Social. I'm regretting it now. A couple friends were blown away by Seagrass and went out bought bottles soon after. 

9 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I skipped Barrell's table at the Houston Whiskey Social. I'm regretting it now. A couple friends were blown away by Seagrass and went out bought bottles soon after. 

I don’t profess to have the best palate but I didn’t care for Seagrass, at least taken neat, if you want an opinion that’s not a rave.  

1 minute ago, LCHorn said:

I don’t profess to have the best palate but I didn’t care for Seagrass, at least taken neat, if you want an opinion that’s not a rave.  

Seagrass is at least $80 before taxes in Houston. It makes me a little nervous. I have a NAPE dinner coming up. It might be a good time to try it for free. 

5 hours ago, Passive Aggressive Coach said:

No, I liked it. My go to is 4 Roses Small Batch Select but I liked it. I know nothing about it but I was over at a friend's house watching us push in Barnes ass and it tasted good. 

Is it this bottle?

Screenshot_20220130-214257_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8284926ff4e176d896d8d85849f94269.jpg

Cause I did a bottle share just before Covid shit everything down, and this bottle was universally hated by everyone there. It ended up getting poured down the drain by the guy who brought it, since nobody wanted to drink it.  Maybe the group was too much into wheaters, cause the most loved were OF 1910, 1920, Belle Meade and Blanton's, but there were 15 total to try, and that was the only one that sucked ass.

20 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

Is it this bottle?

Screenshot_20220130-214257_Chrome.thumb.jpg.8284926ff4e176d896d8d85849f94269.jpg

Cause I did a bottle share just before Covid shit everything down, and this bottle was universally hated by everyone there. It ended up getting poured down the drain by the guy who brought it, since nobody wanted to drink it.  Maybe the group was too much into wheaters, cause the most loved were OF 1910, 1920, Belle Meade and Blanton's, but there were 15 total to try, and that was the only one that sucked ass.

None of those are wheated bourbons, tho.  I routinely end up drinking TX at events where it somehow always gets placed as the only bourbon and I’m not saying I’ll pick it over 1910 or Blanton’s, but it’s not a crime against humanity. 

None of those are wheated bourbons, tho.  I routinely end up drinking TX at events where it somehow always gets placed as the only bourbon and I’m not saying I’ll pick it over 1910 or Blanton’s, but it’s not a crime against humanity. 

What’s funny is the TX whiskey was merely meant to serve as the placeholder until their TX Bourbon was ready, which was delayed a bit, and didn’t turn out to be anything special. They definitely got the gimmick going for then with the TX branding and the cowboy boot leather corks. A little ginger ale in it will sure keep the non-whiskey fan guests happy with a cream soda flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, veritas aequitas said:

I haven't come across one yet but the new Sazerac Early Times bottles are showing up. These guys used to be as big of fan of it as I was and they review a new bottle. And as I feared sounds like Sazerac screwed up a great thing.

Yep, when I saw the Glazier bro checking bar codes at Spec's, I knew the shit was going down. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

4 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

@veritas aequitas is there an easy way to distinguish between the Brown-Forman and Sazerac bottles? I'm asking because I haven't seen a Sazerac bottle yet. 

Yes they detail it in that video but basically the shoulder is a bit higher and bottle a little taller on the new Sazerac bottles. And I think they said the cap is different too

8 minutes ago, veritas aequitas said:

Yes they detail it in that video but basically the shoulder is a bit higher and bottle a little taller on the new Sazerac bottles. And I think they said the cap is different too

Is there anything distinguishing on the label like "bottled by Sazerac"? 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Not that I heard them say in video. The label looks identical to me. But what's inside sounds totally different and that is what sucks about the whole deal. I genuinely thought for awhile now that Early Times was about as good of a bourbon out there and was so cheap it brought a smile to your face with every sip.

• Hook 'Em 1

What’s funny is the TX whiskey was merely meant to serve as the placeholder until their TX Bourbon was ready, which was delayed a bit, and didn’t turn out to be anything special. They definitely got the gimmick going for then with the TX branding and the cowboy boot leather corks. A little ginger ale in it will sure keep the non-whiskey fan guests happy with a cream soda flavor.

Precisely my point upthread. Good mixer but a 750 should be priced comparably to Crown Royal.
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Check out the label on the back. The Sazerac bottles have the Sazerac web address.

They also have the DSP number for the Barton distillery--DSP-KY-12. 

ETBiBBack.thumb.jpg.9bb7d47071cc4fc402f6b8ba8f2a19d6.jpg

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Check out the label on the back. The Sazerac bottles have the Sazerac web address.

They also have the DSP number for the Barton distillery--DSP-KY-12. 

ETBiBBack.thumb.jpg.9bb7d47071cc4fc402f6b8ba8f2a19d6.jpg

Have you tried the Saz version?  How do they compare?

Edited by stork642

I’m all ears. I keep a bottle of Herradura Ultra Anejo around the house too and I’ve been griped at by tequila turds that it’s not “real tequila”. Whatever that means

So, I’m a really big fan of Corazon, especially their bourbon aged bottles. From what I can tell, they let the tequila and the oak do the work

Also love the Uno, Dos, Tres line. Tapa is being a cocksucker with photos right now but I’ll post some for reference when the server decides to wake up…

In other news, I have the saz here (posted upthread) and I think it’s solid, especially for the price. YEMV…

On 2/1/2022 at 1:05 PM, stork642 said:

Have you tried the Saz version?  How do they compare?

These days I do all of my drinking while smoking full-bodied cigars. So I'm not sure that I would be able to pick up on any subtle differences. That said, I still enjoy it, and have gone through multiple bottles of the Saz version. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Not the same mashbill, but I blinded BT Kosher Rye Recipe against ETL and they were VERY similar. I could taste a bit more spice/rye in the Kosher, and frankly preferred a bit more. *ducks*

I can see that. I’ve never had the Kosher Rye but I’ve had plenty of ETL, and once I got over the tater factor I quickly realized it lacks character and is pretty thin IMO. I enjoy it occasionally, and if I come across a bottle at retail I won’t pass it up, but I’ve used several as trade bait here recently because it really doesn’t move the needle for me these days
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Not the same mashbill, but I blinded BT Kosher Rye Recipe against ETL and they were VERY similar. I could taste a bit more spice/rye in the Kosher, and frankly preferred a bit more. *ducks*

Kosher Straight Rye is also a banger, highly recommend at retail or even $80-$90 secondary.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Tell us how. 

How it tastes or how to find?  Spec’s had a bunch this year but I grabbed one in trade after trying it in god forsaken college station. 

I haven’t tried it with EHT Straight Rye but the proof point seems perfect for the liquid and it’s damn good. 

Just now, USCATX said:

How it tastes or how to find?  Spec’s had a bunch this year but I grabbed one in trade after trying it in god forsaken college station. 

I haven’t tried it with EHT Straight Rye but the proof point seems perfect for the liquid and it’s damn good. 

How to find it on secondary. Please don’t say Facebook. 

On 1/31/2022 at 2:26 PM, veritas aequitas said:

I haven't come across one yet but the new Sazerac Early Times bottles are showing up. These guys used to be as big of fan of it as I was and they review a new bottle. And as I feared sounds like Sazerac screwed up a great thing.

My regular place had 2 bottles of this last week and I walked on by.

Dumbass.

I like Still Austin Cask Strength, but probably not good enough for a Friday/Saturday night drinker. At least in my opinion. 

Thursday/Sunday are my try something new or try something cheap nights. I haven’t been impressed in a long while.

OF 100 SiB is a banger and priced well. And of course pretty difficult to find 

I like Still Austin Cask Strength, but probably not good enough for a Friday/Saturday night drinker. At least in my opinion. 
Thursday/Sunday are my try something new or try something cheap nights. I haven’t been impressed in a long while.
OF 100 SiB is a banger and priced well. And of course pretty difficult to find 

During the great early-Covid Specs sell-off of 2020, I landed some outstanding restaurant pics of that OF. Would very much like to land some more of those.

6 minutes ago, H_Boogie said:

During the great early-Covid Specs sell-off of 2020, I landed some outstanding restaurant pics of that OF. Would very much like to land some more of those.

I remember seeing 95 proof OF SiBs and passing prior to 2020. Dumb. They've been non-existent since jumping up to 100 proof. It's a damned good bottle, but it should be easier to find. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 2:26 PM, veritas aequitas said:

Guess my regular place opened a 2nd case because they had 12 bottles on the shelf.

Grabbed one for $21.99. "Limit one."

Edited by slorch