Bourbon

Jimbaround

12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m drinking some Redwood Empire Lost Monarch before supper. It’s fine, but it drinks real thin. I like OF100 better. 

For me, the thin-ness is kinda the point. It's what I drink when it's a 5-6 glass night and I don't want to raid the good stuff. 

But I still like it more than OF100. 

• Like 1

My last allocated pickup if the year was a THH so I had to crack it and take a flex shot with the unopened ones I have.  I like it a ton, but it’s starting to feel like a let down on most of these bottles relative to the secondary value.  I’ve had some very good MGP lately in the $100-$200 range that is probably as good.  The NFC foil cap is kinda cool, tho. 

B90FF02C-8409-473E-9256-7304210F6FE1.jpeg

• Like 2

My last allocated pickup if the year was a THH so I had to crack it and take a flex shot with the unopened ones I have.  I like it a ton, but it’s starting to feel like a let down on most of these bottles relative to the secondary value.  I’ve had some very good MGP lately in the $100-$200 range that is probably as good.  The NFC foil cap is kinda cool, tho. 
B90FF02C-8409-473E-9256-7304210F6FE1.thumb.jpeg.9a5b664129bb7f4dd8f7dc9dc07031b2.jpeg

Only thing left to do is tackle that wheater shelf!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

With the popularity of the Barrel Proof Rye and Coy Hill, I hope Jack Daniel's is trying to expand their special releases. 

When, at any point in time has any brand in the entire wide wide world of whiskey increased production of a special release? That kind of makes it less special when you make it more readily available 

• Like 1

The JD special releases are not for me. I got last year's Rye at retail and was wholly underwhelmed. I ended up trading my open that was ~65% full for a sealed Stagg Jr. 15 and couldn't have been any happier about that. That whiskey had no idea what it wanted to be, other than just loud. 

I had two separate pours of the Coy Hill and walked away thinking it was a step down from last year's Rye. Oak for days, with a short dry finish that left me wondering why anyone would want to own a bottle.

I guess that's what's so crazy about whiskey. One man's drain pour is another man's unicorn. 

The JD special releases are not for me. I got last year's Rye at retail and was wholly underwhelmed. I ended up trading my open that was ~65% full for a sealed Stagg Jr. 15 and couldn't have been any happier about that. That whiskey had no idea what it wanted to be, other than just loud. 
I had two separate pours of the Coy Hill and walked away thinking it was a step down from last year's Rye. Oak for days, with a short dry finish that left me wondering why anyone would want to own a bottle.
I guess that's what's so crazy about whiskey. One man's drain pour is another man's unicorn. 

Yea, different strokes for different folks.
Although I haven’t heard anyone not liking the rye until your post.
But like you said, whiskey is crazy.

49 minutes ago, RichUT said:

I mean it can happen. I wasn’t impressed with Booker’s 30th. I think the 14 year + Knob Creek Longhorn Steakhouse picks are better. 

It feels like there was a lot more JD Barrel Proof Rye than Coy Hill. CH was gone in like an hour. I was able to buy the rye on consecutive days. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Booker’s is tricky. People blindly buy it when they see it at the store, but there’s usually only one good batch a year. So by the time you figure out a batch is good, it’s already sold out. 

Also, I don’t think it’s priced very well. Knob Creek SiB is the Beam product people should be snapping up. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

Interesting that you say that.  As I've looked around at various reviews that has been a constant theme (one good batch for the year.)  

I guess I'll be content to score a bottle from 2021 and let it sit on my bourbon/whiskey shelf and look cool until I find a time to open it.   

Tonight, I've been enjoying a bottle of OF1920 as the 2nd SEC Championship is played.