Bourbon

Jimbaround

7 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Anybody that picked up the Rebel Distiller's Collection did well. Lux Row was purchased by MGP. 

Link: https://www.whiskyadvocate.com/mgp-luxco-kentucky-bourbon-acquisition/

It could be the last Heaven Hill distilled release. 

I've had two of these from Total Wine and agree, they were both delicious.

44 minutes ago, Pablo said:

I've had two of these from Total Wine and agree, they were both delicious.

Many people in front of me passed on the Rebel. I was aghast. The group in front of me passed on Rebel, but bought all the Balcones. They had to be Aggys. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

I’m sipping some EHT Small Batch and reflecting. I ran into a good one. 

- Time well spent. I’m glad I brought my wife to keep me company and to buy more bottles of course.
- Seems like Spec’s is planning to do this annually. 1-2 case floor drops of Stagg Jr could be the new normal if they’re sitting on cases for the January drop. 
- There was a pick ‘em table that at what point contained Russell’s 13, Weller Single Barrel, EHT Barrel Proof, and EHT Single Barrel. Pretty cool idea. I picked the Bowman SiB when it was my turn. 
- Everybody was civil. No cutting or stupid bullshit. The Facebook haters really showed their asses today. They’d rather get likes bitching about taters than getting off their asses and going to the store. 
- That said,  I did see some flippers taking pictures on the hood of their cars. I guess the quicker the better in their hustle. 
- It looks like a few hours of sleep cost me Weller Full Proof, Baker’s 11, and the Four Roses pick.
- Something was up with Pappy and BTAC this year at Spec’s. The door prizes in Houston and Dallas were first in line ORVW, next 4 Sazerac 18. I wonder if it’s a Buffalo Trace thing, a distributor thing, or a Spec’s thing. Hopefully for me, it’s a one off.

I know a lot of people don’t like events like this, but I think it’s the most democratic way to do it. Plenty of advance notice posted in public forums detailing location, date, and selection. And people were still getting Weller 12 and Stagg Jr 1-1.5 hours in. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Apparently one of the local stores I stop by occasionally has decided to take the approach of putting everything out and just overcharging for it. Negotiated them down on a JD Coy Hill tonight, going back tomorrow for a Weller CYPB and a Weller Single Barrel hopefully. You can only buy one bottle of their high end per shift. Need to see what else they have but I got distracted by the two Wellers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

My NYE hall included Remus V, ER, Smoke Wagon, and 1910

I know this is peanuts on this thread, but in NC, this is pretty much hitting the cycle. 

Jesus Christ. 

A buddy texted me today they had Eagle Rare a few miles from my house. I asked if it was a pick. Nope. I asked if they had handles. Again nope. I went right back to watching the playoff game. I guess we take things for granted down here. 

• Hook 'Em 1

BTAC is off everywhere - No one seems to know what’s going on, but my guess is a combination of issues with BT and distributors.

Anyway, since I’m still in the ‘cron recovery window, I spent a LOT of time tonight on secondary moving things around. Really opening my eyes to another world… it’s sick, but the selection is nice to be sure.

12 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

BTAC is off everywhere - No one seems to know what’s going on, but my guess is a combination of issues with BT and distributors.

Anyway, since I’m still in the ‘cron recovery window, I spent a LOT of time tonight on secondary moving things around. Really opening my eyes to another world… it’s sick, but the selection is nice to be sure.

Yeah I’ve realized I was fortunate to get any BTAC this year. I just noticed the fleur-de-lie on the bottle and in the logo. Kind of cool. I love New Orleans and Mardi Gras. 

1F34C8A2-CFBF-4245-99B6-F87A8B20994B.thumb.jpeg.5d5474b9d179b0fa18244e23ab9cf39c.jpeg9214B2BC-5FD7-454F-B095-7679AB7A3AE7.thumb.jpeg.4683fe1e5aea047ca53701b7f45bdde7.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I feel like such a noob at this.   I stopped chasing bourbon when the good stuff started getting scooped up and the resold for more than I want to pay.   Got back in last year once my local mom and pop let me into the inner circle and give me a heads up when they get something rare.   They do a raffle each year for 30-40 bottles of good stuff.   But when the opening bid is $60 and the winner pays almost $200 for stuff like EHT small batch or Staggg, jr...  Nope, not bidding.   

The two Twin Liquors near me also help me out a bit.  Scored a bottle of Eagle Rare last week and a Four Rose's Small Batch Select .  Been venturing into areas with one off local stores and have been able to get some stuff I never see at Specs.  Up here in north Houston, even regular BT or Weller Special Reserve just finally made appearances back on the shelves.  

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

I feel like such a noob at this.   I stopped chasing bourbon when the good stuff started getting scooped up and the resold for more than I want to pay.   Got back in last year once my local mom and pop let me into the inner circle and give me a heads up when they get something rare.   They do a raffle each year for 30-40 bottles of good stuff.   But when the opening bid is $60 and the winner pays almost $200 for stuff like EHT small batch or Staggg, jr...  Nope, not bidding.   

The two Twin Liquors near me also help me out a bit.  Scored a bottle of Eagle Rare last week and a Four Rose's Small Batch Select .  Been venturing into areas with one off local stores and have been able to get some stuff I never see at Specs.  Up here in north Houston, even regular BT or Weller Special Reserve just finally made appearances back on the shelves.  

Anything Buffalo Trace and high proof is going to be a tough get in our lifetimes. 

52 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I'm hoping that the bubble busrts in the next 3-4 years.

I just don’t see it. Bourbon is much sweeter/cheaper than scotch and made in the US. That’s always going to matter. 

Additionally the bourbon crowd is getting much more diverse. If it catches fire you in Asia, you can forget about it. 

Bourbon is absolutely going to pop, imo. In 2-3 years, prices will plummet on secondary and people will be selling off bottles they either couldnt get to or didnt open for a fraction of what they are going for today. 

once hoarders and flippers and the general public get their fill of stuff, theyll stop buying. Then will come the realization that they cant drink it all. Then comes the fatty liver complication bills. By 2024 or so,  blantons will be back on the shelf collecting dust like jack daniels. 

6 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Bourbon is absolutely going to pop, imo. In 2-3 years, prices will plummet on secondary and people will be selling off bottles they either couldnt get to or didnt open for a fraction of what they are going for today. 

once hoarders and flippers and the general public get their fill of stuff, theyll stop buying. Then will come the realization that they cant drink it all. Then comes the fatty liver complication bills. By 2024 or so,  blantons will be back on the shelf collecting dust like jack daniels. 

Maybe. There are some trends where Generation Z prefers micro-dosing and stuff like that instead of alcohol. Bourbon seems to be going pretty strong with the other generations. 

People have been waiting decades for the wine bubble to burst. 

I do see a lot of bourbon fatigue in the Facebook groups. People that are just sick of the chase/other BS and just drink OF100 and Maker's Mark Cask Strength. 

I'm kind of over it myself. I'll stack my key club points, enter Goody Goody raffles, and show up for the annual Spec's drop, but I'm not driving around looking for this shit anymore. 

• Like 1

Put me in the "fucking sick of it" camp. Just hearing about people sitting in line for shit makes me roll my eyes. I'm sitting on something north of 70 bottles, and there is just no need to try to keep pace. My plan for 2022 is to not buy a single bottle. Assuming I can pull that off, I'll allow myself to splurge on something nice via secondary. 

I honestly think it's going to be a relief to not worry about whatever new shit gets dreamed up for this year. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

I don't care about what the distiller's come up with new.   I just want to be able to some of the stuff that used to be semi-available on a regular basis.   I saw a store in California selling EHT small batch for around $50.   Good luck finding that in Texas at all.

I don't care about what the distiller's come up with new.   I just want to be able to some of the stuff that used to be semi-available on a regular basis.   I saw a store in California selling EHT small batch for around $50.   Good luck finding that in Texas at all.

It’s only worth $30 and yet I see “people” snapping it up so they can flip it to taters on secondary for $100-$150.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

From your keyboard to God's eyes, but I'll believe it when it happens.  I've been trying to push hipsters and taters toward mescal or craft gin or *anything besides bourbon* for the past several years, and it's been fruitless.  And now I see ER, which had been fairly plentiful out here in SoCal, is starting to disappear off the shelves of my usual places, goddammit.  

1 hour ago, Carl Spackler said:

From your keyboard to God's eyes, but I'll believe it when it happens.  I've been trying to push hipsters and taters toward mescal or craft gin or *anything besides bourbon* for the past several years, and it's been fruitless.  And now I see ER, which had been fairly plentiful out here in SoCal, is starting to disappear off the shelves of my usual places, goddammit.  

Ive said it before and ill say it again, yall stay the fuck away from my mezcal. Its already expensive enough, as is

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Any chance to be price drops lower? I really don’t need it until early fall. 

Seems to be moving around 425 depending on proof and still sliding. Last year’s rye slid pretty steadily down to $265 over a long period of time so I wouldn’t be surprised to see this land at 350-375.  Haven’t cracked mine because the rye was such a disappointment.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

How much do EHT 18YM or EHT WC cost on secondary? 

I might want a birthday present 

You could get a lot of nice EHT for the price of a Warehouse C.  Like an EHTBP 8, 9 and a nice EHT Single Barrel Pick.  Only hype bottle I’ve been more disappointed by is Pappy 20.  18 Year Marriage is really good but I’d probably rather have a WLW and ‘21 OFBB than that 2500 bottle. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On Coy Hill, Raj (OLC owner) cracked a bottle and provided sample pours for his regulars since he only got 2 bottles. I ended up getting to try it twice, and I liked it less than last year’s Rye which I really didn’t care for. I ended up flipping my open bottle on the secondary for a Stagg Jr 15 and almost felt bad for the guy that got the JDBPR.

Coy Hill was just not good. Both sips were Oak dominant with little to no fruit to balance it out and a short dry finish to boot.

• Like 1

You could get a lot of nice EHT for the price of a Warehouse C.  Like an EHTBP 8, 9 and a nice EHT Single Barrel Pick.  Only hype bottle I’ve been more disappointed by is Pappy 20.  18 Year Marriage is really good but I’d probably rather have a WLW and ‘21 OFBB than that 2500 bottle. 

Honestly, if you’re looking to spend $ on EHT it’s the AotG or nothing. Still one of the best pours I’ve ever had in over a decade of tasting.

Local shop had a bottle of Smoke Wagon Small Batch and an Uncut Unfiltered.    Went with the Uncut.   More than I've ever paid for a bottle of whiskey before but was glad to see it on the shelf.   Should I got back and snag the Small Batch?   It was actually cheaper than the Uncut.  

26 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Local shop had a bottle of Smoke Wagon Small Batch and an Uncut Unfiltered.    Went with the Uncut.   More than I've ever paid for a bottle of whiskey before but was glad to see it on the shelf.   Should I got back and snag the Small Batch?   It was actually cheaper than the Uncut.  

You picked the right bottle, but $100 is way over retail. 

That said, I don't know where you live, or what the bourbon scene is like there. For all I know, you got a pretty solid deal. 

I'm in NE Harris County.   The rare stuff around here is, well, really rare.    Haven't seen anything resembling special other than stuff like Whistlepig, Kentucky Owl, Ye Olde St. Nick, Calumet or Barrell.  And some of those are sitting on the shelf at $150 or even over $200.

When my local shop did a raffle on about 40 bottles, the 10 year Eagle Rare ended up going for over $125.   WTF?   I got it a  week later at another local place for just over $50.  

There is a place on the NW side that apparently has some stuff but they have a "Loyalty Club" with tickets given out on other purchases.   It's an hour from my house (without traffic) so I doubt I'd be buying other stuff very often from them in order to accrue to the tickets with a chance at something.