Bourbon

Jimbaround

9 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I'm in NE Harris County.   The rare stuff around here is, well, really rare.    Haven't seen anything resembling special other than stuff like Whistlepig, Kentucky Owl, Ye Olde St. Nick, Calumet or Barrell.  And some of those are sitting on the shelf at $150 or even over $200.

When my local shop did a raffle on about 40 bottles, the 10 year Eagle Rare ended up going for over $125.   WTF?   I got it a  week later at another local place for just over $50.  

There is a place on the NW side that apparently has some stuff but they have a "Loyalty Club" with tickets given out on other purchases.   It's an hour from my house (without traffic) so I doubt I'd be buying other stuff very often from them in order to accrue to the tickets with a chance at something.  

Northeast Harris County you say? The Total Wine in Humble is usually pretty solid. Whenever I'm searching for bottles in Houston, it's always Humble or Sugar Land with something in stock. 

Spec's in Kingwood is extremely hit or miss. 

If you're Costco guy, I'd check WB every time you're shopping there. If they have anything it'll be like one bottle of Rock Hill Farms or Coy Hill, and then a bunch of Texas whiskeys and Jameson. 

There's a Twin Liquors location in Humble and Kingwood. 

I wouldn't pay above retail in Texas east of San Antonio. There's too many good options. 

On 1/3/2022 at 12:48 PM, Macanudo said:

I don't care about what the distiller's come up with new.   I just want to be able to some of the stuff that used to be semi-available on a regular basis.   I saw a store in California selling EHT small batch for around $50.   Good luck finding that in Texas at all.

FYI Total Wine had EHT Small Batch on the shelf last week.  Granted I bet it didnt last more than a couple of days.

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Northeast Harris County you say? The Total Wine in Humble is usually pretty solid. Whenever I'm searching for bottles in Houston, it's always Humble or Sugar Land with something in stock. 

If you're Costco guy, I'd check WB every time you're shopping there. If they have anything it'll be like one bottle of Rock Hill Farms or Coy Hill, and then a bunch of Texas whiskeys and Jameson. 

I wouldn't pay above retail in Texas east of San Antonio. There's too many good options. 

I've paid over retail exactly twice in Houston.   I don't regret it but I don't like admitting it either.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, huge said:

I've paid over retail exactly twice in Houston.   I don't regret it but I don't like admitting it either.

I paid $400 for the 2019 GTS. I tried it at a bar and really liked it. I then made my usual begging calls, and negotiated a local mom and pop store down to $400 cash. It was worth it. 

My point was, Macanudo shouldn't be paying $40 over MSRP for Uncut/Unfiltered. Not in Greater Houston. 

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I normally avoid the Total Wine because they used to have a bunch of crap on the shelved.   The Spec's out here suck ass.   If you want they 1835 shit they peddle, well, they always have that.    I hit the Twin Liquors pretty regular.   I go often enough that they hold something unusual every now and then if I remind them.

7 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I normally avoid the Total Wine because they used to have a bunch of crap on the shelved.   The Spec's out here suck ass.   If you want they 1835 shit they peddle, well, they always have that.    I hit the Twin Liquors pretty regular.   I go often enough that they hold something unusual every now and then if I remind them.

Sorry to hear it. At least you have Twin. 

There about 70 Spec's locations in Greater Houston. I would call 7 of them good stores. Not a great ratio. 

On 1/3/2022 at 10:58 AM, billfromlaketravis said:

I do see a lot of bourbon fatigue in the Facebook groups. People that are just sick of the chase/other BS and just drink OF100 and Maker's Mark Cask Strength. 

I'm kind of over it myself. I'll stack my key club points, enter Goody Goody raffles, and show up for the annual Spec's drop, but I'm not driving around looking for this shit anymore. 

I've hit this point as well. I luckily got into the bourbon chase just in time and did well between Winter 2020 and Spring 2021. Been way to frustrating trying to find good bottles on the shelf since.

I'll just take my few connections that can get me maybe 6-8 good bottles a year and be happy at this point. I have a few regularly shelved bourbons I really like that I can easily pick up whenever as my daily drinkers.  

• Like 1

I’d like to shout out the Prideful Goat folks. $60 bucks for a cask strength, 6 year old MGP Rye is extremely reasonable. They could have charged $100 - $120 and people would have gladly paid it. 

I’ll probably open my bottle this weekend. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Like 1

I’d like to shout out the Prideful Goat folks. $60 bucks for a cask strength, 6 year old MGP Rye is extremely reasonable. They could have charged $100 - $120 and people would have gladly paid it. 

I’ll probably open my bottle this weekend. 

My buddy is one of the owners of PG.
I’ll pass your kind words along.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I've hit this point as well. I luckily got into the bourbon chase just in time and did well between Winter 2020 and Spring 2021. Been way to frustrating trying to find good bottles on the shelf since.

I'll just take my few connections that can get me maybe 6-8 good bottles a year and be happy at this point. I have a few regularly shelved bourbons I really like that I can easily pick up whenever as my daily drinkers.  

Regarding daily drinkers, what do you pick for ryes? I love JD SiB Rye, but it’s pricey.

A handle of Sazerac for $41.99 at Goody Goody is pretty tempting. 

14 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Regarding daily drinkers, what do you pick for ryes? I love JD SiB Rye, but it’s pricey.

Old Forester Rye is really hard to beat for the money.  I also really like Pikesville

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

Old Forester Rye is really hard to beat for the money.  I also really like Pikesville

OF Rye was a little underwhelming last time, and OF doesn’t sell it in 1.75L bottles. 

I love Pikesville. 

I’m looking for some cheap handles for Thursday and Sunday nights. I guess I’ll try the Sazerac handle and see if I get sick of it. 

4 hours ago, huge said:

FYI Total Wine had EHT Small Batch on the shelf last week.  Granted I bet it didnt last more than a couple of days.

If you happen to run into a bottle of EHT, buy it and lunch plus drinks are on me*.

Assuming you're still in the Houston area.

3 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I really like Redwood Empire Lost Monarch, which is basically a bourye.  I kinda get the best of both worlds. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Macanudo said:

If you happen to run into a bottle of EHT, buy it and lunch plus drinks are on me*.

Assuming you're still in the Houston area.

I am and I will.  But instead go buy a bottle of Rare Breed if you don't have one already.

12 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

I really like Redwood Empire Lost Monarch, which is basically a bourye.  I kinda get the best of both worlds. 

Hank, how would you compare Lost Monarch to Bourye and Son of Bourye (RIP)? Better, worse, same? 

Son of Bourye is one my all time favorites for under $40. 

On 12/30/2021 at 9:54 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I’m sipping some EHT Small Batch and reflecting. I ran into a good one. 

- Time well spent. I’m glad I brought my wife to keep me company and to buy more bottles of course.
- Seems like Spec’s is planning to do this annually. 1-2 case floor drops of Stagg Jr could be the new normal if they’re sitting on cases for the January drop. 
- There was a pick ‘em table that at what point contained Russell’s 13, Weller Single Barrel, EHT Barrel Proof, and EHT Single Barrel. Pretty cool idea. I picked the Bowman SiB when it was my turn. 
- Everybody was civil. No cutting or stupid bullshit. The Facebook haters really showed their asses today. They’d rather get likes bitching about taters than getting off their asses and going to the store. 
- That said,  I did see some flippers taking pictures on the hood of their cars. I guess the quicker the better in their hustle. 
- It looks like a few hours of sleep cost me Weller Full Proof, Baker’s 11, and the Four Roses pick.
- Something was up with Pappy and BTAC this year at Spec’s. The door prizes in Houston and Dallas were first in line ORVW, next 4 Sazerac 18. I wonder if it’s a Buffalo Trace thing, a distributor thing, or a Spec’s thing. Hopefully for me, it’s a one off.

I know a lot of people don’t like events like this, but I think it’s the most democratic way to do it. Plenty of advance notice posted in public forums detailing location, date, and selection. And people were still getting Weller 12 and Stagg Jr 1-1.5 hours in. 

Congrats on the haul. Still haven't gotten a W12, although I'm able to find Stagg Jr, EHT, Blanton's, and OWA from time to time. I'll still make fun of taters for getting in line, especially overnight

28 minutes ago, Fud said:

Congrats on the haul. Still haven't gotten a W12, although I'm able to find Stagg Jr, EHT, Blanton's, and OWA from time to time. I'll still make fun of taters for getting in line, especially overnight

Yeah I probably missed out on the Weller Full Proof, the Four Roses pick and the Baker's 11 by showing up at 730 am instead of 330 am. I can live with this outcome. Despite the security, Midtown Houston is not a place you want to be between 2 am and dawn. 

I'll probably run into a Full Proof sometime this year, and I can get Four Roses picks online. I'll take a L on the Baker's, but oh well. 

I went out at lunch to another local place and found some good stuff including some WT RB Rye.   This place had a great selection of mid to upper priced stuff.   I sampled Old Pepper rye and bought one of those too.

They had some Remus.   I've seen it mentioned here.    Price around $40. I think.   Worth it?

5 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Hank, how would you compare Lost Monarch to Bourye and Son of Bourye (RIP)? Better, worse, same? 

Son of Bourye is one my all time favorites for under $40. 

I didn't even know Son of Bourye existed. 

I loved my regular High West Bourye. I have one unopened left. One day I'll do a comparison with Lost Monarch to see if it can hold up. 

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

I went out at lunch to another local place and found some good stuff including some WT RB Rye.   This place had a great selection of mid to upper priced stuff.   I sampled Old Pepper rye and bought one of those too.

They had some Remus.   I've seen it mentioned here.    Price around $40. I think.   Worth it?

The Remus you want is Repeal.  I-V are all buys if you can stomach the $80.

The lower end stuff is ok, nothing great.  I have a cask strength Specs pic that is gathering dust.  That was $45 I think.

On 1/1/2022 at 5:02 PM, Macanudo said:

I feel like such a noob at this.   I stopped chasing bourbon when the good stuff started getting scooped up and the resold for more than I want to pay.   Got back in last year once my local mom and pop let me into the inner circle and give me a heads up when they get something rare.   They do a raffle each year for 30-40 bottles of good stuff.   But when the opening bid is $60 and the winner pays almost $200 for stuff like EHT small batch or Staggg, jr...  Nope, not bidding.   

On 1/4/2022 at 9:33 AM, Macanudo said:

When my local shop did a raffle on about 40 bottles, the 10 year Eagle Rare ended up going for over $125.   WTF?   I got it a  week later at another local place for just over $50.  

Cary Elwes Disney Plus GIF by Disney+

• Like 3

also @Macanudo the u/u is the smokewagon you want.  you can probably find it someplace eventually for $65-$85 but whatever, it's a great bottle.  no reason to get the small batch (i try to be disciplined about buying lesser bottles of a brand when i already have the good one).

otherwise, look for russell's reserve single barrel (private barrel should be easy to find at big box stores), wild turkey rare breed, or a makers private select, as they are comparable to the smokewagon, should retail for ~$60 and have similar proofs.

anything sitting on the shelf at a price point north of $85 is there for a reason (cough, shelf turd, cough).  leave that shit alone.

for lower proof, you can't go wrong with old forester 1910, bowman single barrel, or even just basic buffalo trace.  eagle rare is sold out here at cvs for $30 but i know it's a tough get in houston.

24 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

eagle rare is sold out here at cvs for $30 but i know it's a tough get in houston.

Keep an eye on the ER supply in the places you frequent, HG.  My local place used to routinely have 8-10 bottles on the shelf plus handles occasionally, but the last few times I've been there, there was no ER to be had.  Not sure if that's something unique to that location or if we're starting to see a shortage of it out here.

Just now, Carl Spackler said:

Keep an eye on the ER supply in the places you frequent, HG.  My local place used to routinely have 8-10 bottles on the shelf plus handles occasionally, but the last few times I've been there, there was no ER to be had.  Not sure if that's something unique to that location or if we're starting to see a shortage of it out here.

about a year ago, maybe longer, my grocery store guy was like, "i used to get 1-2 cases of eagle rare, now i'm getting 2-3 bottles, something is going on."  and i noticed it was always out of stock at cvs, and often at the grocery stores, and it seemed like it was heading towards some sort of allocation. 

then like 6 weeks later, it was back everywhere as usual.  i think this is more of a buffalo trace/supply chain/distributor issue, or possibly something in your specific area (you're close to me but not that close).  i would give it a month or so.  i bet it normalizes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, burns_312 said:

I’m in KS and Weller’s has been my daily drinker for 15 years. It’s nearly impossible to find. Luckily I’m in a small enough town that one store owner will hold me a handle every time they get a shipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regarding Buffalo Trace, Texas is like Caladan. 

And the rest of the country is like Arrakis. 

6 minutes ago, USCATX said:

Anybody had the new Woodford Master’s Collection 5 malt?  Grabbed one today because last year’s 16th edition was such a banger. 

I loved the 16th edition. Passed on this year because of the stout notes. Stout beers really aren't my thing. 

The 2021 Batch Proof is really good. I wish I could find one. 

was stuck on the west side today and saw some eagle rare at wally's - $35.  looked like they had several bottles.  i wouldn't worry about it too much.

@Carl Spackler

in related news, my main hookup there and at the beverly hills store both left within a few weeks of each other, and the only connection i have to the store is a dude in the new vegas location.  the road to a new connection started today, so we shall see.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Anybody had the new Woodford Master’s Collection 5 malt?  Grabbed one today because last year’s 16th edition was such a banger. 

Picked one up but haven’t cracked it yet,
I’ve heard some bad reviews, like real bad.
Think I’m gonna take the loss and unload it for an OWA with a guy in one of the FB groups I’m in.
He’s a Woodford freak and wants it.