Bourbon

Jimbaround

5 hours ago, BigDHornfan said:

Yea, different strokes for different folks.
Although I haven’t heard anyone not liking the rye until your post.
But like you said, whiskey is crazy.

I don’t care for the rye.  Found three at retail, traded for an open one and then traded two of mine away and will probably find a home for the last one. It has a weird oil based paint note that I don’t want.  Just tried it again to double check for about the 5th time and I still can’t get down with it. 

31 minutes ago, USCATX said:

I don’t care for the rye.  Found three at retail, traded for an open one and then traded two of mine away and will probably find a home for the last one. It has a weird oil based paint note that I don’t want.  Just tried it again to double check for about the 5th time and I still can’t get down with it. 

I like JD BP Rye, but the people saying it’s better than Handy are nuts. 

It was a cool barrel proof release rye that’s a different mashbill than the Kentucky barely legals. 

1 hour ago, NOMAAA said:

say i wanted to work out a trade for a OFBB.  what is the floor?

I keep meaning to put something out on the Facebook pages “ISO” but in dollars I think the floor is about $800.

it’s interesting that Weller 12 is turning into trade currency like cigarettes in prison.  

Edited by LCHorn
Too many words!
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, LCHorn said:

I keep meaning to put something out on the Facebook pages “ISO” but in dollars I think the floor is about $800.

it’s interesting that Weller 12 is turning into trade currency like cigarettes in prison.  

Correct, lowest is around $800.

51 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

For what you can get for the OFC, CYPB, and WSiB, I wouldn’t open them either. Sell them bitches.
And get a shit ton of other bottles to drink.

Opening Weller SiB is the biggest flex in bourbon right now.  Everybody knows you passed up $800 to drink Special Reserve single barrel and that’s ballsy.  CYPB is at least better and also cheaper. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, H_Boogie said:

As in you want valuations of your own stock to use as trade fodder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah more or less.  just curious what you guys would take in exchange.  i guess it doesnt matter since everyone has different tastes.  certainly not paying $850, but would definitely trade a few of the things i have added for one.

2 minutes ago, NOMAAA said:

yeah more or less.  just curious what you guys would take in exchange.  i guess it doesnt matter since everyone has different tastes.  certainly not paying $850, but would definitely trade a few of the things i have added for one.

most common bottles used for trade include 
Blanton's- around $120-130
Weller 12- $200-250
OWA- $150

• Hook 'Em 1

I won a Bourbon Trail trip in an auction and will be headed to Louisville the weekend of May 12th, the week after the Derby.  The list of distilleries will be finalized closer to the trip date due to restrictions, etc.  

Me and a buddy are going and will be staying downtown at the Hyatt Regency.  They will drive us around on the day of the tours, but looking for stuff to do on the other days.  If anyone has done a similar trip, can you share some restaurants/activities/golf courses that you enjoyed?

39 minutes ago, 'stache said:

What are some of your favorite whiskeys that are bourbon mash bills but aged in used barrels? I think they are usually just called "American Whiskey." Michters American comes to mind and is a favorite. Breckenridge I think does a good one too. 

I'm not sure of Breckenridge does that but their main bottle is pretty good for around $35.    The Reserve Blend is also good.    Have not had the Port or Rum cask versions.  

8 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

guess it's not technically called "cask strength".  it's high proof blend.  105.

I have not had the High Proof.  A friend said that it was more "scotch like".   I have not had it but I also know his pallet is more in the 86 proof range so 105 might have put more hair on his chest than he expected.    I need to pick up a bottle and try it.  I lean toward stuff that is north of 90+ proof.    

4 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I believe MWND is the only wine barrel finished whiskey I own, and that probably won’t change.

High West Double Rye picks are often finished in wine barrels. Debs had a Double Rye finished in Syrah barrels last year that was awesome.

This year the Double Ryes will be finished in Malbec barrels, which I cannot wait for. 

Edited by Yev Kassem

6 hours ago, Yev Kassem said:

High West Double Rye picks are often finished in wine barrels. Debs had a Double Rye finished in Syrah barrels last year that was awesome.

This year the Double Ryes will be finished in Malbec barrels, which I cannot wait for. 

that will be interesting. 

14 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I believe MWND is the only wine barrel finished whiskey I own, and that probably won’t change.

Managed to grab one of these on new years eve, pretty happy with the purchase. My current favorite for the price is Bowman Port Barrel. Also really like Legent and it's become pretty easily available.