Bourbon

Jimbaround

3 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

because why stop at terrible coffee?

Agreed. I hate K cups. Drip coffee is better. I won't attest to Drinkworks being good, but from all accounts, it seems convenient and easy to use. They also offer some English beers, so it would function like a miniature kegerator. The beer application interests me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

One reason is my wife likes both cocktails but doesn’t make them herself. She could have these on hand and pour one whenever she chooses. And it keeps her out of my bottles.
And they’d be good in a pinch to take to someone’s house for dinner, etc...

I heard those Hungry man dinners will work just fine for Thanksgiving dinner as well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BigDHornfan said:

One reason is my wife likes both cocktails but doesn’t make them herself. She could have these on hand and pour one whenever she chooses. And it keeps her out of my bottles.
And they’d be good in a pinch to take to someone’s house for dinner, etc...

I convinced my wife to switch to wine. Spending 5 minutes making each and every cocktail isn’t fun for this amateur bartender. 

• Like 1

Not to be a hipster bitch who uses "craft" to describe everything, but part of the enjoyment of a cocktail is creating it (or having it created) from scratch and seeing the individual ingredients come together to create a better end product. Zero chance I'm turning to premixes. 

• Like 3

Father in law just won 2 separate lotteries, got a pappy 15 and the other one is where you go in and pick from a set of the pappys, old rips, and btac in an order drawn there at the time with a bottle guaranteed to each person. I struck out on these and like 5 more lotteries. Hope that fucker shares. 

Wanna say I've mentioned this before in this thread or shaggy version, bought small bottles with oak staves, hand mixed a like a gallon and a half of old fashioned, then aged it in bottles for my groomsmen.  Still do it today.  I can't even describe how good it is after a month.

Full write up?

6 minutes ago, deft said:

Full write up?

https://store.tuthilltown.com/products/cocktail-aging-kit-charred-oak-barrel-stave-1

I used WT 101 rye, angostura bitters, and simple syrup. Took four bottles of the rye, with the measurements based on 2oz whiskey, 3 dashes of bitters and 1/4oz(?) simple syrup. Just multiplied it out in a huge batch them poured into all the aging bottles.  I've reused the stave several times and I'm pretty sure you can order replacements. Lots and lots of cocktails work and I'm sure there are a ton more options for small oak aging setups.  Same shit bars have when there is an aged cocktail on the menu usually.

• Like 2

One of my local liquor stores is having a silent auction for several bottles of Pappy and the BTACs this Thursday.  I will likely stop by to witness the insanity, but I'm guessing they will go for stupid numbers that I'm just not willing to pay.

I did get a chance to have George T. Stagg 2 days ago in Stockholm, of all places.  1 oz pour for ~$30, which is probably a tad on the high side, but I was OK with it.  While it is definitely the best bourbon I've ever had (haven't had Pappy or WLW), I just could never justify buying a bottle at secondary prices, so unless I win a drawing I'm likely SOL.  

5 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

No idea which release it was. bdf25155d1d8b956ee71832080b195b1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2016 per Whisky Advocate. Review below. 

George T. Stagg, 72.05%

Bourbon/Tennessee  |  $90

Distilled in 2001, this year’s release is a departure from recent releases, which were complex and nicely balanced. It’s more aggressive, with tannins and oak dominating, and lacking the body and sweetness to balance it. It’s my least favorite of this year’s offerings. Dark chocolate, toffee, tobacco, and dried fruit round out the palate and offer some comfort. Buffalo Trace Antique Collection 2016

Reviewed by: John Hansell (Winter 2016)

2016 per Whisky Advocate. Review below. 

George T. Stagg, 72.05%

Bourbon/Tennessee  |  $90

Distilled in 2001, this year’s release is a departure from recent releases, which were complex and nicely balanced. It’s more aggressive, with tannins and oak dominating, and lacking the body and sweetness to balance it. It’s my least favorite of this year’s offerings. Dark chocolate, toffee, tobacco, and dried fruit round out the palate and offer some comfort. Buffalo Trace Antique Collection 2016
Reviewed by: John Hansell (Winter 2016)

Shit, if that was a bad GTS release, i need to taste a good one.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Someone must have made Santa's nice list.  Picked up a GTS today.

Had not kept up with the 2019 release, but was surprised at the proof. 

E18-C4-F30-FFEB-4879-B58-B-4-AE0-CCE707-

Lowest proof in the history of the line, and it’s supposed to be more complex than previous releases. Most of the critics placed in second behind the WLW in the 2019 BTAC releases. You did well here. Congratulations. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Lowest proof in the history of the line, and it’s supposed to be more complex than previous releases. Most of the critics placed in second behind the WLW in the 2019 BTAC releases. You did well here. Congratulations. 

Thanks. Great to hear. I have been on the hunt for a WLW for a long time now. Was thinking about shopping for a trade, but leaning to just cracking this with my dad on christmas. 

8 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

I just made a proper sazerac with a St. George absinthe wash and it took all of 4 minutes. Well worth it.

Yeah, but think about all the diseases you could cure and the supermodels you could bang in the 3:45 you saved with a premixed cocktail. 

26 minutes ago, deft said:

Just happened across a weller 12 at total wine today. Too bad it’ll go to BIL. Is it a bad gift if I sample it first?

Ha, me too.  *high five*

Was actually looking for Little Book 03 but apparently we might grow old and die before it makes it all over Texas.  

Question for the cognescenti... What's market for a bottle of pappy 15?  Buddy won a lottery where he got to pay retail and is thinking of selling it. I told him he's a regard but I've tasted it and he hasn't. What would you let the bottle go for?

Edited by pops

8 minutes ago, pops said:

Question for the cognescenti... What's market for a bottle of pappy 15?  Buddy won a lottery where he got to pay retail and is thinking of selling it. I told him he's a regard but I've tasted it and he hasn't. What would you let the bottle go for?

$950.  I would trade it down for a couple of BTACs If it was me.  

20 minutes ago, pops said:

Going for 950-1000 all day in secondary