Bourbon

Jimbaround

1 hour ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Blackwells pick sold out in less than an hour. I’m about to throw in the towel on Four Roses picks. I’ve struck out many times this year. 

Yeah I could of bought one but flinched, when I circled back around. They were out. I blame myself. 

This Sam Houston 14 better be good to drown my tears 

What are we celebrating? That we had to scrape out a win by a red cunt hair against the same team that barely beat Houston Baptist by two???? If I had any Garrison Brothers I would punish my liver with that because it would be appropriate given today’s game, but I don’t possess that nastiness so 4R single barrel will have to do.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

26 minutes ago, Herbie Hancock said:

I will agree with Bozo for the most part, but the best store pick I’ve ever had was a 1792 FP barrel #505 from TW. Good god that was majestic

I had a superb Total Wine pick before. I wonder if it was the same barrel? I bought at the TW Galleria location last year. 

I had a superb Total Wine pick before. I wonder if it was the same barrel? I bought at the TW Galleria location last year. 

This one was two years ago and exclusive to the Hulen store I believe because they had the barrel on display. It was heavily ripe with very dark chocolate and a slight hint of leather. If I ever find another I’ll trade my son for it.

2 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

Many years ago at the Vesuvio Cafe in SF they had a "Rescession Special," which was a shot of Old Crow and a Bud draft.  Old Crow remains the worst Bourbon I have ever tried.  

Old Crow has a very interesting history. The last barrels distilled by founder James C. Crow in 1856 were said to be some of the finest bourbon ever produced. Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Crow

But yes, modern Crow is awful. It's younger Jim Beam White Label which is disgusting. 

4 hours ago, alincoln said:

Anyone try the ECBP C920 yet?  Picked up a bottle on Saturday but haven't opened it yet.

A buddy of mine has a bottle. I tried a pour a little over a week ago, but it was in a social setting and not one where I was drinking it with any sort of critical thought. It was good, but I would like to gave another crack at it and compare it next to the A120 bottle I have. 

Some observations from the Mash & Drum Review: 

- Jason ranked the batches in order 1-3, but he seemed to like them all. 1 is fruity, 2 is less fruity with more oak, and he compared 3 to a Kentucky rye or a blend like Bourye. So pretty consistent with the press release tasting notes. It looks like OF is sending out pint size samples of Batches 2 and 3. It's kind of curious the reviewers aren't getting Batch 1 samples. Based on the number of barrels, I would guess Batch 1 will be the hardest to come by. 

- No age statement, but he said they're 6-7 years old and aged in a heat cycled rickhouse. It pisses me off that Old Forester cuts corners, but it seems to work. 

- Jason suggested not paying more than the MSRP of $150. He estimated some of the batches will go for $450 to $600 on the secondary market. He said the OF 150 is better, but SiB Barrel Proof has many of the same qualities.

30 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

@Yev Kassem, I’m just getting Mash & Drum’s reviews. I think he has a really good palette, but it seems like Jason likes everything. 

Has he ever panned a big release? 

If I recall, he wasn’t huge on OFBB this year. I don’t think he said it was bad, just not as good as previous years. 

I ran the math on the OF 150 releases. I wouldn't get your hopes up. 

Batch 1 = 46 barrels 

Batch 2 = 48 barrels 

Batch 3 = 53 barrels 

A close reference point would be the 2018 release of Eagle Rare 18. 

45 barrels 

1,627 bottles 

I hope the reviewers jealously guard their pint sample bottles. It's probably the only OF 150 they will obtain. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis

While I can complain about the relative shortage of Weller, ETL and others in SoCal, one thing that is plentiful here is ER10.  This is a pretty common sight at my local place.

20200926_101218.jpg

3.9 mb · Done

20200926_101218.thumb.jpg.30c568d5966849e1d5ecfa0e7fddd91b.jpg

Grab that Larceny barrel proof as well. Tasty stuff. Not a fan of their small batch offering but the BP is tits