Bourbon

Jimbaround

So is a Father's Day Bourbon Release a new thing or have I just not been paying attention? Seen at least 4-5 on social media in the last few days. Some have some impressive stuff. This one seems kinda lame. Weller SR is still fairly available around here, I have managed to secure 3 extras of BT, I have MM101, I had McKenna 10 a few years ago and don't consider it hunt worthy, and I saw 46 on the shelf just yesterday. At this point, the only bottles I would probably hunt for or wait in line for a release is Eagle Rare, and maybe Weller 12 or Full Proof. The best I saw was in OKC today, but I don't care enough to skip work and make that drive.

image.png.9c5ad7d13a1bf2a900f94ab7c0ca0702.png

16 minutes ago, 'stache said:

So is a Father's Day Bourbon Release a new thing or have I just not been paying attention? Seen at least 4-5 on social media in the last few days. Some have some impressive stuff. This one seems kinda lame. Weller SR is still fairly available around here, I have managed to secure 3 extras of BT, I have MM101, I had McKenna 10 a few years ago and don't consider it hunt worthy, and I saw 46 on the shelf just yesterday. At this point, the only bottles I would probably hunt for or wait in line for a release is Eagle Rare, and maybe Weller 12 or Full Proof. The best I saw was in OKC today, but I don't care enough to skip work and make that drive.

image.png.9c5ad7d13a1bf2a900f94ab7c0ca0702.png

Good to see the Tulsa gravy train is still rolling. 

No. Had the Calumet 12 and it was very not good. Tried using it as a mixer and ended up just giving it away

Am I getting products mixed up, or did I hear that the 12 and the 14 were sourced from entirely different places?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what's the consensus on Four Roses? Costco has several different ones. What's worth buying for drinking straight? 
Barrel strength - hell yes on all recipes pretty much
Single barrel - I'm a fan at Costco pricing
Small batch - pretty solid
Small batch select - I feel like there are better options at that price but still pretty solid and doubt you would be disappointed
Yellow label - meh
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mo Horn said:

So what's the consensus on Four Roses? Costco has several different ones. What's worth buying for drinking straight? 

4R Single Barrel is the best option. 

4R Small Batch Select is not bad

4R Small Batch is mixer

Yellow Label is mixer

• Hook 'Em 1

Am I getting products mixed up, or did I hear that the 12 and the 14 were sourced from entirely different places?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly I have no idea. I don’t do the bourbon blogs/podcasts. I just know I had the 12 and it was horrid so I’m not interested in trying anything else from them.
  • Like 1

I’m not sure it would be worth buying just samples from Still Spirit in the UK, but if you’re just rounding out another order it’s kinda fun.  I grabbed the Wm Heavenhill 3rd Edition, 2017 Birthday and 2016 FRSmBLE.  The bottles are like scale models with heavy bases and everything.  Anyway, the Heavenhill is very nice with a brown sugar nose and just a little nuttiness with an amazing oily mouthfeel.  

9D026785-0B41-445D-8951-F9E2ADAE081E.jpeg

The bourbon tour has gone better than expected so far.  Couldn’t book a tour at BT but as soon as we got there, yesterday, I asked if there was anything available and was told they had two openings for the Old Taylor tour that started in 45 mins...Great tour.   Went by the gift shop and they only had Weller SR so I passed.  Our tour guide mentioned that Urban Meyer was there earlier that day for a tour so I felt a little dirty after that but on my way out I saw Freddy and I got a picture with him.  Great guy.  Went back today because it was Blanton’s day so my wife and I both got one each.  While I was checking out I happen to look over to the side and there’s Urban.  I guess he came back for some Blanton’s?  Not sure why he was in the gift shop but there he was.  I was going to snap a picture of him but I had to pass on that one.  Anyway headed to Woodford Reserve, Maker’s Mark, and have a tasting at Four Roses tomorrow.  Would have hit more distilleries but wife wanted to see some horse farms.  If you haven’t been I highly recommend this trip.  Also woke up this morning to a crisp 64 degrees.  

EBCFB511-3DD7-49A5-97A7-C5192B28214E.jpeg

BF0BD9A5-B7F4-4210-B03A-19741229DE4D.jpeg

511A332A-9787-4811-8617-8C76AD729F19.jpeg

5D230A9A-2879-4A86-B776-081E095609C4.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

Y’all bourbon fuckers are crazy. I just happened to be going by Spec’s on Smith for some cachaça and saw people lined up. First I thought it was a bunch of winos getting breakfast then I saw it was a bunch of bro types. I think the Weller and something else was gone within minutes. I was back in my truck reading emails and saw dudes frantically whipping into the parking lot and then some sad faces and empty hands exiting.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Since I've started buying a lot of whiskey, I haven't stepped foot inside the Smith St. location once. I know they have the best drops, but I just don't want to participate in that feeding frenzy. Ever. 

It was amusing.  They had a cop/rent-a-cop (with a sweet ponytail) standing next to the bottles. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

Since I've started buying a lot of whiskey, I haven't stepped foot inside the Smith St. location once. I know they have the best drops, but I just don't want to participate in that feeding frenzy. Ever. 

Nothing is more distasteful to me than sitting in lines with flippers.  Even waiting for a club drop for ER store picks left me feeling a bit sad about humanity. 

9 hours ago, Hank Kingsley said:

You're a good man Hank. I do think Smith St is conceding to flippers. In the past, they would do little small things to throw them off. Wheeling Buffalo Trace drops out at 10 am feels like a surrender. 

• Hook 'Em 1

There’s no doubt that the flippers are giving kickbacks to store employees/managers for tips on when the big drops are coming. I’ve never believed the whole “we don’t know what’s coming until it shows up on the truck” bullshit that you hear store employees tell you. It’s the same guys in the Facebook groups that post new inventory once the drops happen. You can’t tell me that they just always have good luck and get in on every big drop. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

image.jpeg.14378c4cb97dda26072bfc31c28191b5.jpeg

No I wasn’t there. I work for a living. Gone in 20 minutes.

so do you go for the weller 12 or the stagg jr?  tough choice.  i have more weller 12 than stagg jr, but would probably grab that one.  that looks like small batch eht.  if it were single barrel that would add further dilemna.

30 minutes ago, thrillhammer said:

so do you go for the weller 12 or the stagg jr?  tough choice.  i have more weller 12 than stagg jr, but would probably grab that one.  that looks like small batch eht.  if it were single barrel that would add further dilemna.

Weller 12 for me, but Stagg Jr is great. 

Stagg Jr. hands down for me. I only use W12 to blend Poor Man’s Pappy. With PMP I find the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

W12 and OWA are fine in my eyes, but I’m never disappointed if I miss a drop of those. If I see one, sure I’ll pick it up, but I’m not going out of my way to grab either one. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Yev Kassem said:

Stagg Jr. hands down for me. I only use W12 to blend Poor Man’s Pappy. With PMP I find the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

W12 and OWA are fine in my eyes, but I’m never disappointed if I miss a drop of those. If I see one, sure I’ll pick it up, but I’m not going out of my way to grab either one. 

i hear ya. stagg jr is 8-9 yrs, vs 12, plus i prefer the wheated mashbill to the #1 of the stagg jr.  also, i found out julian van winkle carries around a flask of weller 12, and i figure he knows his bourbon.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, USCATX said:

Bowman single barrel is so damn good.  If you can’t get Blanton’s or Blanton’s Gold you’re really not missing much if you grab a $48 bottle of this off the shelf.  

Becoming very hard to find JJ Bowman on the shelf anywhere these days. Glad I already have a backup.