Texas @ Texas A&M - 6:00 on ESPNU

Horny Bull

1 minute ago, NorthLoop said:

About 40 or 50 strikes in that game were us watching hittable pitches or swinging at dirtballs.

Is Wimp-Lo our hitting coach?

I’ve walked away from so much of Texas baseball because of this. It’s almost impossible to watch. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Yeah, I don't know why but that "hitting" display was especially rough to watch tonight.  Rough day for UT sports.  

Because it was on a big stage. It isn't like we haven't had shitty performances before tonight but on the road on ESPNU with lots of casual fans watching it sucks even more than usual.

But our pitching and defense are solid, unlike 2019. If we only had even one good hitter like Kody Clemens. Even a bunch of decent ones would be nice. But there is a reason we were ranked #5, I have full confidence we will win this series against Kansas. Would have meant a lot to have this one though. It sucks.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Because it was on a big stage. It isn't like we haven't had shitty performances before tonight but on the road on ESPNU with lots of casual fans watching it sucks even more than usual.

But our pitching and defense are solid, unlike 2019. If we only had even one good hitter like Kody Clemens. Even a bunch of decent ones would be nice. But there is a reason we were ranked #5, I have full confidence we will win this series against Kansas. Would have meant a lot to have this one though. It sucks.

Daly is a good hitter. Not a lot of extra bases but any team in the country would love having him in their BO. 

Outside of that we have no one hitting .300. 

Will be difficult to sleep tonight,  will add my $.02.

-  Antico did not consistently see this level of pitching at St Johns.   Pierce is likely keeping him in the lineup because he leads the team in walks,  3rd with less K's, and 11-14 SB's.   And the overall experience factor.   I like him,  he needs a breakout game to get back on track.

-  Can't see Witt getting AB's in a game like this when he is pitching.  Mental thing especially for a freshman no matter his talent.  Petrinsky hurt ?  Geib, Melendez ?   

-  Early in the year,  someone mentioned team leadership.   It wasn't there tonight.   We looked tepid.   Not football, but need to show more enthusiasm.   Need a Kacy, Kody, Tres Barrera, Cameron Rupp.

-  Someone do a welfare check on @Fletch   🙂

• Hook 'Em 4

I know this exercise is cliche, but fuck the Aggies...we have a run coming up here in April that we REALLY need to take advantage of.  If the bats are ever gonna get shit done, this is the time.  We've got 6 games with Kansas and KSU, both of which have looked bad.  Not godawful, but pretty bad.  This has to be a 5-1 stretch in conference play for us to remain competitive.  And on the non-conf. side, get guys out of slumps or get some new bats some reps.  Four easily winnable non-conf. midweeks coming up in next two weeks (SFA may be only competitive one) and 3 weekend with ACU and @ TX State.  That should be 7-1 outta those 8.  Easier said than done, and quite obvious, but this is it, the bats don't get it together now...we're fucked in the last month of the season in terms of hosting anything.  Between now and 20 April, it's gotta be 5-1 in Big XII, 12-2 overall.  With corrected bats.  

Starting 4/24, it's as tough a month stretch as we've seen in a few years for Texas baseball.  

I know this exercise is cliche, but fuck the Aggies...we have a run coming up here in April that we REALLY need to take advantage of.  If the bats are ever gonna get shit done, this is the time.  We've got 6 games with Kansas and KSU, both of which have looked bad.  Not godawful, but pretty bad.  This has to be a 5-1 stretch in conference play for us to remain competitive.  And on the non-conf. side, get guys out of slumps or get some new bats some reps.  Four easily winnable non-conf. midweeks coming up in next two weeks (SFA may be only competitive one) and 3 weekend with ACU and @ TX State.  That should be 7-1 outta those 8.  Easier said than done, and quite obvious, but this is it, the bats don't get it together now...we're fucked in the last month of the season in terms of hosting anything.  Between now and 20 April, it's gotta be 5-1 in Big XII, 12-2 overall.  With corrected bats.  
Starting 4/24, it's as tough a month stretch as we've seen in a few years for Texas baseball.  

So...we’re fucked, and the dwarf will be fired to complete the trilogy cleansing.....awesome. The sooner the better

2 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

If Daly was batting 3rd tonight I think we would've gotten 2 runs at least. Him batting 6th or 7th or whatever is stupid. 

I don't know a ton about batting orders, but it seems stupid to me, too. This team really struggles for offense at times. I don't understand being cute and slotting our best hitter at 7th when we can't consistently get our first 3 guys home. 

While the loss was disappointing, these matchups always remind me of exactly who A&M is and how any matchup with Texas is like the Super Bowl.  And while the game is sure as shit important to Texas and it's fans, we NEVER view the game as the fucking Super Bowl.  Otherwise, I would have likely turned the game on prior to the top of the 9th inning, as our fate was sealed.  

But take solace my friends, there is one thing that is and always will be true.  You can take most ANY screenshot of ANY large group of A&M fans and play this fun game.  Find and attractive person in the frozen fan image.  It is like fucking Where's Waldo.  Honestly... try to find the attractive person in this television screenshot from last nights closing moments.  Do not be frustrated, it is going to take a lot of looking, but there actually is an attractive person in this A&M and screenshot!

448A8D4A-7B75-47A6-B273-9571749106E2.heic

Game results aside, it was actually reasonably pleasant watching the game there.  aggy was nice enough to round up the vast majority of hillbillies and overall wearing nut squeezers and pen them up in the temporary bleacher areas.  The regular seats seemed to be reserved for the relatively normal aggy and the UT fans.

1 hour ago, horn4life said:

While the loss was disappointing, these matchups always remind me of exactly who A&M is and how any matchup with Texas is like the Super Bowl.  And while the game is sure as shit important to Texas and it's fans, we NEVER view the game as the fucking Super Bowl.  Otherwise, I would have likely turned the game on prior to the top of the 9th inning, as our fate was sealed.  

But take solace my friends, there is one thing that is and always will be true.  You can take most ANY screenshot of ANY large group of A&M fans and play this fun game.  Find and attractive person in the frozen fan image.  It is like fucking Where's Waldo.  Honestly... try to find the attractive person in this television screenshot from last nights closing moments.  Do not be frustrated, it is going to take a lot of looking, but there actually is an attractive person in this A&M and screenshot!

448A8D4A-7B75-47A6-B273-9571749106E2.heic 1.74 MB · 9 downloads

Their players and fans certainly share a distinct backwater East Texas look. 

Edited by B00M

Well shit. It's no fun to lose to aggy. However, it was a non-conference game and aggy looks pretty good this year. Somewhere, my Uncle Cliff and cousin Mark are smiling.  I had and still have aggies on both sides of the family, as well as Texas exes and a TCU ex, two Tech exes, an Arkansas ex, and a Houston ex. We were and still are quite a mixed bunch. I learned to take and dish out trash talking pretty early, especially during football season.

Last night, Texas went to sleep at the plate again. The pitching and defense are consistent but, obviously, the hitting is inconsistent. Texas has talent but they are young. Hopefully, they'll become more consistent with the bats. If they all come back next year, the future looks bright. 

8 minutes ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Wrong.  They have been one of the weaker teams in the SEC so far this year

They are 18-9 and 2-4 in conference games. They looked pretty good to me and, unfortunately, I think the sec is very strong in baseball this year. Regardless, Texas needs to be more consistent at the plate. Once this team gets into the tournament, they can't afford two game slumps at the plate. I don't expect this team to head to Omaha this year but, if all or most of them come back next year, they could be very good.