PilotsError

Dumb Question Amnesty Thread

At  the Star n Frisco, can anyone come in there and work out for a given price, or is Dez Bryant still part of the Cowboys?

What do they actually do at Camp Mabry? I mean, what goes on there on a typical day? How many people are working there / in and out every day?  Are there people living on site? 

It’s such a huge tract of land and has lots of buildings, but I can’t really tell if it’s actually serving as a base of any real day to day operations, or if maybe it’s just there if it’s needed, or if it’s just some administration for state wide stuff, or, .... I don’t know.  You can find general info on the web, but it doesn’t really answer the above questions.  

Mostly Reserve elements nowadays.  And the museum.  The sheer amount of federal and state owned land off the tax rolls in the City of Austin bottles the fucking mind.  Mabry could be shrunk down to half its current size and nobody would know anything about it, or mind in the slightest.  It's not like it houses a lot of permanent residents, only a handful of full of folks live on the base and it's armory and motor pool could fit in a small parking garage.  And then there's the State of Texas employees who feel that they need to drive alone each day and have a reserved parking space just blocks from downtown so they can move papers around their office which could just as easily be done out in Hutto, or Bastrop, or Leander, or Kyle.  But nope, these fuckers get to work and play right near downtown because apparently the average citizen who visits the Capitol Complex once every decade needs them right away!  

My question---why do whatameals cost about the same amount as just the sandwich/fries?  I thought the beverage was the high-margin part of the deal?  I just drink the water in my car and order a burger and fries and it's like a twenty cent differential than just ordering the whole combo?  I would think the beverage would be the big increasing factor on the ticket with the fries being the loss-leader?  I don't get it.