Jump to content

The Gun Owner’s thread


Recommended Posts

On 3/24/2021 at 4:06 PM, Johnny Sack said:

Mine is a Winchester I bought at Costco for around $600 10+ years ago.  It works fine.  Not sure how many long guns it is rated for, but it is a tight fit since I have a lot of long guns and most have glass.  I am about to buy another and put it in my garage, which is climate controlled.

My overflow is in two of these rifle lockers (found pic on web), which you attach to your studs with lag bolts.  It's pretty damn secure because you can't reach the lag bolts while it is locked.  I keep my less sentimental/valuable pieces in it.  Someone would need to pack a lunch and have the right tools to walk off with those guns.

spacer.png

 

I think I paid around $75 each for this rifle locker on Sportsman's guide.  Pretty good option if you don't have the cash or the space for a safe.  Definitely just as kid proof as a safe.  

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/nahc-pistol-and-rifle-locker?a=439000

I dunno, I'm pretty sure when they were younger my kids would have figured out a way to tear those guns up and ruin the finish and plug the barrels in no time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1874 SAA.  4 digit frame.  Not factory grips but been on the gun as long as anyone knows.  At least 80 years.  

Just got my .264 win mag back.  This is a pre-64 Model 70 I had picked up at auction. Barrel was somewhat shot out when I got it and had some rust damage to the finish.  Action was very clean so

Got my new hog rig in today (Tavor 7). May have to quarantine my ass to the pig stand tomorrow night to see if I can get my first kill with it. It's a heavy SOB, especially with the thermal, but beca

Posted Images

After weeks of waiting, my 10.5" upper was finally delivered. Just waiting for my tax stamp to pair with my larue lower. 
PXL_20210329_190602290.thumb.jpg.e81af614592006a0f14c72f646e5d774.jpg

Do you have any other SBRs or AR pistols (don’t answer this)?

Having a short barreled upper and neither of the above, and posting about it online might be construed as constructive intent by overzealous 3 letter types. I was advised once not to store a short barrel uppers around regular AR rifles for that reason and to build up every lower as a pistol the first time mated to an upper.

Your guidance may be something else but just passing along what I was told.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, davidg said:


Do you have any other SBRs or AR pistols (don’t answer this)?

Having a short barreled upper and neither of the above, and posting about it online might be construed as constructive intent by overzealous 3 letter types. I was advised once not to store a short barrel uppers around regular AR rifles for that reason and to build up every lower as a pistol the first time mated to an upper.

Your guidance may be something else but just passing along what I was told.

I appreciate the advice and I've already stored this upper at my parent's house until I get the go ahead to put everything together. That's what my brother told me to do when I started this process.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Yes, you should build lowers as pistols because then you have flexibility.

Once you register it as an SBR, it’s an SBR though correct?

On a related note, I found the suppressor I was wanting for my Mark 23. Just gotta get with my FFL and send his info and a check.
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Once you register it as an SBR, it’s an SBR though correct?

On a related note, I found the suppressor I was wanting for my Mark 23. Just gotta get with my FFL and send his info and a check.

Yes, as I understand it.

Buy a pistol lower and you can always have it set up as a pistol. However, you can also put a rifle stock on it mated with 16” barrel and it will be fine. Mating under a 16” barrel (forget about the 13.5 right now) with a rifle stock requires sbr’ing it.

If you buy an ar 15 rifle it’s always a rifle.
If you buy an ar 15 pistol it can be either.
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Handcruser said:


Yes, as I understand it.

Buy a pistol lower and you can always have it set up as a pistol. However, you can also put a rifle stock on it mated with 16” barrel and it will be fine. Mating under a 16” barrel (forget about the 13.5 right now) with a rifle stock requires sbr’ing it.

If you buy an ar 15 rifle it’s always a rifle.
If you buy an ar 15 pistol it can be either.

If you buy a stripped lower, it usually doesn't have a defined rifle or pistol designation.   When you build up the lower, go ahead and build/assemble it as a pistol first and mate with a pistol upper (I like to make a time stamped pic to document) and then rebuild as a rifle if you want.   This way you can always take it back to a pistol.   

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Was doing some work on my GF’s mom’s house. She’s been widowed for several years. Somehow guns were discussed, and she disappeared into a back room. Came out with a little Rossi .38 that her husband bought her; she thinks sometime around 1970. She said he took her to the range 1 time, and it’s been in the closet since then.

Anyway, she told me that she doesn’t want it, and told me to take it home. I don’t know anything about Rossi, but it looks pretty well built and it’s it good condition. 87a0f7d1f6be539f70732c869a1b74d7.jpg

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Was doing some work on my GF’s mom’s house. She’s been widowed for several years. Somehow guns were discussed, and she disappeared into a back room. Came out with a little Rossi .38 that her husband bought her; she thinks sometime around 1970. She said he took her to the range 1 time, and it’s been in the closet since then.

Anyway, she told me that she doesn’t want it, and told me to take it home. I don’t know anything about Rossi, but it looks pretty well built and it’s it good condition. 87a0f7d1f6be539f70732c869a1b74d7.jpg

Free pistols are like free beer.  Take it and be happy. 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Anyone else have their tax stamp for a fully auto weapon? 

The guy next door to us does. Depredates pigs and dogs out of a chopper.  It is quite a spectacle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Anyone else have their tax stamp for a fully auto weapon? 

I know a father/son duo who have numerous.  They were out in front of the market before and shortly after 86'. 

What they have is now worth a fortune in the collector's market. 

I don't think they've bought anything other than SBRs and suppressors in many years.

Back when we lived in the same town, I always told them my SHTF strategy was to have just enough firepower to fight my way to their houses.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

I know a father/son duo who have numerous.  They were out in front of the market before and shortly after 86'. 

What they have is now worth a fortune in the collector's market. 

I don't think they've bought anything other than SBRs and suppressors in many years.

Back when we lived in the same town, I always told them my SHTF strategy was to have just enough firepower to fight my way to their houses.

 

Same situation prompted my question. Had a friend of the nephews that brought two out to the ranch. 
 

When I asked how big was the hassle to get the stamp he showed me what he had to do, which is pretty much the same gymnastics as purchasing a suppressor.

The difference is what you pointed out....the cost. I was told $8500 for a stamped steel MAC11 (which we shot). And a M16-A4.....ready for this....$25k.

So at the end of the day it ain’t whether or not I can legally buy it, it is the fact I simply can’t afford it. Even if I had $25k laying around there are other things needed at Scooters place.

I was just curious if others had taken such a financial leap just to have one at the house. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Correct - If you can get a stamp for a suppressor or SBR you can go get something with a fun-switch if your budget allows.

The father had been acquiring in the 70's and then the son started in the 80's in this case.  Basically it was a high end hobby that turned into a profitable investment.

You can follow current prices at places like Rock Island Auctions or on LiveAuctioneers.com.

Domestic stuff is always in the high teens for things like Cobrays and into the $20's for M16's.

What is even more expensive is the foreign made stuff like H&K or communist stuff because those imports stopped before domestic production was banned and are more rare.

There is a ton of NFA stuff coming up for sale at Rock Island on May 15th. 

For instance, starting bid for a Heckler & Koch/Vollmer/Fleming G3/HK21 Machine Gun is $22.5k and will probably go for close to twice that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

 I hoped so, but we’ve got dog killers on this board, so...

Wild dogs are as bad, if not worse than coyotes on ranchers as they have no aversion to urban areas.  Almost every rancher has a standing kill on site orders if they start to pack up and cause damages.  

 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Scooter Monzingo said:

Same situation prompted my question. Had a friend of the nephews that brought two out to the ranch. 
 

When I asked how big was the hassle to get the stamp he showed me what he had to do, which is pretty much the same gymnastics as purchasing a suppressor.

The difference is what you pointed out....the cost. I was told $8500 for a stamped steel MAC11 (which we shot). And a M16-A4.....ready for this....$25k.

So at the end of the day it ain’t whether or not I can legally buy it, it is the fact I simply can’t afford it. Even if I had $25k laying around there are other things needed at Scooters place.

I was just curious if others had taken such a financial leap just to have one at the house. 

Full auto is for the most part silly.  Not the greatest of choices, but in an open area, and one guy has a semi and one full auto, I'd take my chances with the full auto guy.  After that first shot or two, can't hit shit with them except as laughably close range.

Belt-fed weapons are another story, as are SMG's...but in a rifle you shoulder, FA is just a waste of ammo.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Neg rep to all you guys can't talk full auto firearms without post this.  Also,  I would make a trip to one of these shoots to look, talk and consider before buying a Cl 3 weapon.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Full auto is for the most part silly.  Not the greatest of choices, but in an open area, and one guy has a semi and one full auto, I'd take my chances with the full auto guy.  After that first shot or two, can't hit shit with them except as laughably close range.

Dear diary - Today someone was talking about practicality and used logic while discussing guns on the Surl gun thread.  I feel confused and conflicted.  I want to agree with him, but my fingers won't let me.  I think I'll take a nap and see if these emotions pass.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Wild dogs are as bad, if not worse than coyotes on ranchers as they have no aversion to urban areas.  Almost every rancher has a standing kill on site orders if they start to pack up and cause damages.  

 

Totally agree, but anecdotally coyotes don’t have much aversion to urban areas either. And most of the ranchers I know keep pig dogs around, so they manage the wild dogs. 

 

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Full auto is for the most part silly.  Not the greatest of choices, but in an open area, and one guy has a semi and one full auto, I'd take my chances with the full auto guy.  After that first shot or two, can't hit shit with them except as laughably close range.

Belt-fed weapons are another story, as are SMG's...but in a rifle you shoulder, FA is just a waste of ammo.

Fun tho. 🤷

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Neg rep to all you guys can't talk full auto firearms without post this.  Also,  I would make a trip to one of these shoots to look, talk and consider before buying a Cl 3 weapon.
 
 

I’ve got a buddy that’s been to Knob Creek a few times. I’d like to go myself. There are places you can rent them and shoot them.
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Wild dogs are as bad, if not worse than coyotes on ranchers as they have no aversion to urban areas.  Almost every rancher has a standing kill on site orders if they start to pack up and cause damages.  

 

SSS

  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So, a realtor buddy just called me from his vacation.   He asked a favor:  he just got a listing on a foreclosure from one of his banker buddies, and, being out of town, he asked me to go meet the locksmith and collect the keys.   

He's a good guy, and it's close-by, so I agreed.   Well, the house was completely vacant, but I noticed something on the top shelf of a closet (I'm pretty tall).  AMMO BOXES FUCK YEAH!!!  OH SHIT, THERE ARE ABOUT 10 BOXES HERE!!!

Oh shit, it's "38 Super".   WTF is 38 super?  Never heard of it.  Looks kinda 9mm to me.  Anybody shoot this shit?

Link to post
Share on other sites
So, a realtor buddy just called me from his vacation.   He asked a favor:  he just got a listing on a foreclosure from one of his banker buddies, and, being out of town, he asked me to go meet the locksmith and collect the keys.   
He's a good guy, and it's close-by, so I agreed.   Well, the house was completely vacant, but I noticed something on the top shelf of a closet (I'm pretty tall).  AMMO BOXES FUCK YEAH!!!  OH SHIT, THERE ARE ABOUT 10 BOXES HERE!!!
Oh shit, it's "38 Super".   WTF is 38 super?  Never heard of it.  Looks kinda 9mm to me.  Anybody shoot this shit?

You can find a nice 1911 that runs that.
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...