The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

I am considering an AR-15 purchase.  I have been looking around for a while and I came across the Daniel Defense DDM4 v7.
v7_r_02-128-02081-047_1_3.jpg
I was wondering if anyone had any opinions, thoughts, or experience with this rifle or Daniel Defense in general.

DD makes great shit. No doubt.

That being said, you don’t need to spend 2k to get an awesome AR. Where are you located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TexasGary said:

I am considering an AR-15 purchase.  I have been looking around for a while and I came across the Daniel Defense DDM4 v7.

spacer.png

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions, thoughts, or experience with this rifle or Daniel Defense in general.

They are great guns but kind of on the high end and expensive. You can get much the same for about half the money (i.e. PSA or even a Colt) and then use the saved cash for more accessories. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TexasGary said:

spacer.png

In the words of the great warrior poet Wesley Weston Jr., if you see it, want it, buy it, own it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/22/2020 at 6:34 AM, Reagan1k said:

Nice surprise showed up yesterday.  Took about 3 months for the CMP to process the order and I had somewhat forgotten about it until FedEx Arrived.

1943 production Springfield Armory- gauges very good on the throat and barrel.  Heck of a deal for the money and the few hoops through which you have to jump for the CMP.

cmp1.jpg

CMP2.jpg

Now you get to use the "clip" vs "magazine" vernacular properly!

*love the service grade ones.  The worn look.  Adds character.  I know the logistics are impossible, but man I wish there was a way to tell the story of each.  Which theatre of war it served in?  Who might have carried it?  Which battles, etc.  Super cool!  Congratulations

6 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

*love the service grade ones.  The worn look.  Adds character.  I know the logistics are impossible, but man I wish there was a way to tell the story of each.  Which theatre of war it served in?  Who might have carried it?  Which battles, etc.  Super cool!  Congratulations

Yeah - It's not my 1st Garand.  I've got some stashed away.  Even have one of the .308 conversions with the spacer block installed.

I try to remember to order a new one from the CMP every time I pay to renew my Garand Collectors Association membership each year.

Back 20+ years ago one of my kids corrected a friend of mine who said something about putting a clip in his Rem. 788.  My kid said..."That's not a clip, that's a magazine, ....right dad?!?"

I was a little embarrassed but quite proud at the same time.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

They are great guns but kind of on the high end and expensive. You can get much the same for about half the money (i.e. PSA or even a Colt) and then use the saved cash for more accessories. 

@TexasGary       Yeah - what's the goal for the rifle?  Will you be dragging it to the range / lease, shooting competitions, or having it with you when you're dropped into some mountain range on a solo special operator mission.  Start with the goal and work backwards from there to identify the base rifle.

That said, if money is no object and you just want a DD - go for it.  Nice weapon.

One of my local shops had a reconditioned one from Iwo Jima supposedly. Reconditioned, display box, and some documentation. It’s probably be close to 20 years. Still wish I had bought it.

3 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

One of my local shops had a reconditioned one from Iwo Jima supposedly. Reconditioned, display box, and some documentation. It’s probably be close to 20 years. Still wish I had bought it.

Yeah, if able to validate the accuracy and not some shyster trying to get more money.  Would be amazing to have.  

I am in Plano.

Yeah I remembered after I posted that.

DD is great. As someone asked above, what will you be using it for?

I’ve got a $600 Diamondback DB15 in 300BO that’s prob my favorite gun, even though it’s one of the cheapest I own. I hunt hogs with it and dont mind if it gets beaten up a little.

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

@TexasGary       Yeah - what's the goal for the rifle?  Will you be dragging it to the range / lease, shooting competitions, or having it with you when you're dropped into some mountain range on a solo special operator mission.  Start with the goal and work backwards from there to identify the base rifle.

That said, if money is no object and you just want a DD - go for it.  Nice weapon.

I am looking for a combination of home defense, shooting at the range to become more proficient, and honestly it just looks really cool.  The others that I looked at that were less expensive had cheap "furniture" (am I using that right?) and would need several hundred dollars worth of upgrades.  I didn't like the plastic on the S&W M&P15 Sport. It appeared to be glued to the barrel. 

Documentation is the key and it's hard to come by.  The Garand Collectors Association does some articles and spotlights on certain rifles from time to time and there is some cool history that can be verified in rare cases, but most Garands are just commodity items; in that their issuance, usage, and travels was not recorded in a way that can now be retrieved.

That's not to say that certain manufacturer models or serial numbers aren't prized, but by and large, there is no usage history that can be verified on +90% of them other than a mfg. date.

Unfortunately there are 10's of 1000's of those rifles in the hands of people who are convinced that their grandfather or great grandfather carried that exact Garand they now have, into battle.  They fact of the matter is that the military didn't allow soldiers to get off a ship and carry their battle rifle back home with them.  The vast and overwhelming majority were purchased by veterans after they'd already been home for years...... through mail order surplus catalogs.  In the 50's and for years later, one could buy a Garand via mail order and 1000's were purchased that way.

Granddad bought one and said "This is just like the rifle I carried", to his family.  Years pass and that quote has morphed into "This WAS the rifle my great grandfather carried."

Unsuspecting collectors get "taken" by historical claims that are dubious at best, and on the flip side, family members overvalue "their rifle" by attaching a historical tag to a Garand that may never have seen combat. 

That in no way diminishes the history and collect-ability of any Garand, but it does need to be considered when buying one; especially one that has a story with it that is causing the asking price to be above market.    

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

I am looking for a combination of home defense, shooting at the range to become more proficient, and honestly it just looks really cool.  The others that I looked at that were less expensive had cheap "furniture" (am I using that right?) and would need several hundred dollars worth of upgrades.  I didn't like the plastic on the S&W M&P15 Sport. It appeared to be glued to the barrel. 

I think you should get a cheap throwdown one and a nice Cadillac one.

For example, I have a Ruger throwdown AR with a single point sling and irons.  It was $480 and is dead on balls accurate.

Then, I also have an HK with a Trijicon ACOG, ESD sling, Magpul AFG and all kinds of other bullshit.  It's working its way toward tacticool which can be frowned on, but hey it's my rifle and I like it.  Also, it's not like I'm mixing Pappy with Coke or something egregious.  It's just that I spent a lot of money on a bullshit rifle.  But, I wanted that shit so I bought it.

Edited by Fondren & Main
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

I've spent plenty of money over the years on "looks cool" reasoning and judge no man for doing the same.

One thing to point out is that...for instance, the M-Lok handguard, buttstock, and pistol grip on that DD can be purchased separately, and fitted on any milspec AR lower/upper combo.  The point is that you can achieve the same "look and feel" as that DD rifle, but with a less expensive lower and upper.......leaving more money for an optics package, etc.

You can buy a basic lower, upper with the barrel length you want, and then run her through any manufacturer's beauty parlor to fancy-up your girl the way you want her.  

Either way works.  Have fun!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

There are a myriad of reasons to start.  My advice would only be to spend a significant amount of time training to use the tool.  As this is what it is.  A tool.  Spend your money and time on training and classes as well as accessories.

As for the accessories, "why" they are on the rifle is the critical question - learn not only what they do, but why they are important.  Optics.  Magnification choices.  Ammunition types.  Barrel length.  Lighting options.  You will start to customize and have opinions.  This is good.  It's also a hell of a lot of fun.  The tinkering.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fondren & Main said:

I think you should get a cheap throwdown one and a nice Cadillac one.

For example, I have a Ruger throwdown AR with a single point sling and irons.  It was $480 and is dead on balls accurate.

Then, I also have an HK with a Trijicon ACOG, ESD sling, Magpul AFG and all kinds of other bullshit.  It's working its way toward tacticool which can be frowned on, but hey it's my rifle and I like it.  Also, it's not like I'm mixing Pappy with Coke or something egregious.  It's just that I spent a lot of money on a bullshit rifle.  But, I wanted that shit so I bought it.

Those Ruger ARs are now....

(This one is at CDNN, in Abilene).

45DED224-31E2-486A-9288-2015EAE60BFB.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

Stupid .410 1100 search has led me to the next one.  Surprising I know, but it’s another since obsolete, hard to find round.  Why not. I just need to break down and start reloading I guess.   I need to talk myself out of it (on auction site) in the next couple days, but I won’t.  I’m a sucker for custom stocked old guns. 

What cartridge are you considering? I’m trying to resist a 257 Weatherby, 270 Weatherby, 6.5 Swede, and 6.5x284.

On 7/30/2020 at 9:16 AM, Armybrat said:

My brother bought one in the early 1960s through the NRA program for $20. Mailed directly to his front door.

It was a brand new unissued carbine coated with cosmoline still wrappedin the paper. Don’t recall who made it, but probably Inland.

he sold it a year later for $100..

My dad bought a Springfield 03-A3, through the mail for. 5 or 10 bucks.  Like you said coated and wrapped in paper delivered right to the door.   It sits proudly in my gun safe today.  I've got to post pics of it one of these days.

Edited by SHOOTER12
10 bucks not 100
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yeah the sports are big turds look-wise.

Furniture is the correct terminology.

Your paying $1000-$1400 for the gun and the rest for the name when you go DD.

I’d find a nice gun for $1000, then spend the rest of furniture, scope, etc.

Get a 16” barrel if you can. Better for home defense and accuracy is negligible.

Make sure your rail is M-Lok in my opinion. Better than keymod.

I can get a REALLY nice aero precision all built for $990 here in Austin. Upper, lower, BCG, etc.
I just helped a friend build one out and it’s super nice. He threw a Romeo red dot on it with 5 mags and some ammo and was out the door for around $1400.

Get what you want though!

• Like 2

In 5.56/.223 you can get better deals even in today’s climate with Ruger, Springfield, Sig, CMMG or even a S&W that isn’t the base sport with heat shield furniture.

A step below them(for some, not me) the diamondbacks and PSA can be had around $750-ish.

If I was spending DD money I’d probably go Larue before DD but I don’t spend Ferrari money... sad face

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, cabowabo said:

It's all about looking good at the range.  If you can't run with the big dogs, stay on the porch.

I mean, I was hitting a pig-sized target at 225  yds across a ravine and down 50 feet on iron sights with my bone-stock ranch rifle last Wednesday. It looked good to me, but we can't all be this guy

The-Most-Tactical-AR15-EVER-618x412.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, TexasGary said:

Get an inexpensive PSA lower, get rid of the trigger and put in a LaRue MBT trigger. Get a PSA upper, stainless, .223 Wylde chamber with 1:7 twist so you can shoot heavy 75 grain Hornady ammo very accurately and use it for hunting as well.

Spend the cash you saved on optics. As good a scope as you can afford with a LaRue QD mount or something like this with this for HD or fun at the range or pigs out in the open 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, 686 said:

What cartridge are you considering? I’m trying to resist a 257 Weatherby, 270 Weatherby, 6.5 Swede, and 6.5x284.

for the right price I could let go of this 70s model Weatherby 270 Mark V Deluxe with a few boxes of ammo and a few more of brass.

IMG_1306_zps5707fe62.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, 686 said:

I’m trying to resist a 257 Weatherby, 270 Weatherby, 6.5 Swede, and 6.5x284.

.257 Wby - Queen of the quarter bore.  My favorite gun.   You will not be able to resist this caliber.

.270 Wby - My 1B gun.  Also, impossible to resist.

6.5 Swede - someday I'll have a nice Sako in 6.5 Swede.  I just don't have anything for it now.  

6.5-284 - One of the Flaigs I bought last year was a close variant, 6mm-06.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TexasGary said:

Watch and learn....

15 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I mean, I was hitting a pig-sized target at 225  yds across a ravine and down 50 feet on iron sights with my bone-stock ranch rifle last Wednesday. It looked good to me, but we can't all be this guy

The-Most-Tactical-AR15-EVER-618x412.jpg

Pretty sure I was next to this guy at the range on Sunday with the kids.  All that hardware, then first shot, the bolt jammed.  Guy spent close to 20 minutes screwing around with it until some good old boy let him borrow a rubber mallet to gently pop the extractor back.

10:1 the gun was dirty, and from what I overheard the cases were cracking and expanding in the chamber after firing.  Happened multiple times until he just got up and left.  

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Pretty sure I was next to this guy at the range on Sunday with the kids.  All that hardware, then first shot, the bolt jammed.  Guy spent close to 20 minutes screwing around with it until some good old boy let him borrow a rubber mallet to gently pop the extractor back.

10:1 the gun was dirty, and from what I overheard the cases were cracking and expanding in the chamber after firing.  Happened multiple times until he just got up and left.  

Bet it looks badass on his Insta tho. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

In related news, I got 400rds of Winchester green tips at academy today along with 200 cheap 223 for the range and some 45acp. 

That's awesome.  Very rare to see ammo on a Thursday at Academy.

Edited by TexasGary
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

A guy was shooting one of those at Red’s the other day a couple bays over from me and I could feel the muzzle blast in my carotid arteries.

Really not bad to fire.  Just anchor down and it's easy to control.  Weight of the pistol and the rubber grips help considerably.  I can attest to the robustness of those RR cross tie plates, barely dented them.  Best cheap steel plates you can find.  Love them.  9mm bounces off like a BB gun.  

s-l640.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2