The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Cleaned out the gunsafe today because we are in the process of moving. Had more ammo than I realized, which is nice. Filled up a box and it was 65 pounds or so. And that's not including the ammo can that has probably 130 rounds of 50 BMG in it or the range bag that has a bunch of random stuff from the last time I fooled around with my guns.  

• Like 1

On 10/30/2020 at 4:28 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

A guy was shooting one of those at Red’s the other day a couple bays over from me and I could feel the muzzle blast in my carotid arteries.

If anyone ever sets up to shoot a Barrett .338 Lapua next to you, I advise you move before they get started. The brake is murder.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, davidg said:

Saw that, probably pretty smart if your only action to "protect" your stores is to board them up.  So many others things that are equally dangerous in the forms of chemicals, drugs in the pharmacy, and melee weapons such as hammers, machetes, and other items like axes, etc.  This is getting out of hand either way.  

Chiappa in .357 Mag.  Such a fun gun to fire and quite accurate.  More than my other wheel guns

chiappa.thumb.jpg.26b393d0c382821efaacf6aad571e339.jpg

That’s awesome! I had an opportunity to buy one of the original Mateba Autorevolvers about 15 years ago and I really regret not doing that.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Not quite as big as I might have imagined, but the holes it pokes in bad guys would still be the right size. 

They say, "contact your dealer" but there is no list of dealers, so gotta make a @#$!#& phone call. 

https://tippmannarmory.com

Only question I have is how does the ATF allow them to sell it? 

1574687748_ScreenShot2020-11-03at06_34_48.png.fbf1debc4d1596b2d9a6eb6685c1f78a.png

42 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Manual Gatling guns have not been classified as NFA items... yet.

An attachable hand crank for Ruger 10/22 carbines was openly available years ago.

D193EACF-5D18-47C0-987E-B6A53E87ECDF.jpeg

Yep, years back I had a few old 10/22's from when I was younger, so I picked up one of these kits from Cabelas.  Two receivers, one ejecting up, the other down with that same dual-trigger crank.  Utterly and completely worthless if you want to actually hit anything, but still fun.  Didn't keep it very long and re-purposed the receivers back into rifles.  Again, the scourge of stock tank turtles.   

2731879ddd9ba3be857ddb63e6a050ba.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

This is what I always think of when I see gatling guns. 

Although I think the original caliber of GG's was 45-70 and I think at that close a range there would be more carnage, even with the leather armor. 

I think the first were a rimfire .50 to .58 caliber - later models had larger caliber options.  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-_nSLs56wa8eUGh8MoYl

2 hours ago, TexasGary said:

Welp............

Going to need some recommendations on a new home defense weapon.   Probably a full size 9mm or 10mm.  I already looked at the Sig P320.  Any thoughts?

357-1.jpg

357-2.jpg

I'd go 9mm over 10mm simply because they are easier to shoot well, have a higher capacity, and follow up shots are much easier to make follow up shots.  I'd also get a 10mm because they are awesome, but harder to control.  Ballistics/recoil, etc are on par with a .41Mag

Looks like a gas expansion crack in the frame.  The way it's bowed out like that.  Guessing older revolver.  .357Mag round.  Was it rated for ..38 AND .357?  +p ammo maybe?

P320 is great.  I love Sig and have a number of them.  Apex triggers are an after-market mod you might want to look at.  I believe they come with night sights, if not, get some.  

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 1

Big difference between a full sized 9mm and a 10mm.

I'm a 10mm whore and love the round, but would not suggest it as something with which to compare / contrast with a 9mm for home defense use.

Hammer vs. sledge hammer.  Everyone needs a sledgehammer, but it isn't going to do you much good when you need to drive just one nail.

Picking the right tool for the job is over half of the battle and whatever quality full sized 9 that feels good, you can shoot well, and you can find in stock is the right answer.

Sig, M&P, Glock, H&K, Walther, CZ just to name a few.

Get one that feels right and that you enjoy shooting.

Then by the 10mm for shits and giggles.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Right. Because I’m picturing you were robbing a bank in a black and white stripped shirt with black eye mask when all of the sudden Superman was standing behind you. And then he snapped the revolver and bopped you on the head, leaving you tied up with the bags of money sitting next to you.

I always thought Superman bent the barrel back into a U shape. 

45 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I'd go 9mm over 10mm simply because they are easier to shoot well, have a higher capacity, and follow up shots are much easier to make follow up shots.  I'd also get a 10mm because they are awesome, but harder to control.  Ballistics/recoil, etc are on par with a .41Mag

Looks like a gas expansion crack in the frame.  The way it's bowed out like that.  Guessing older revolver.  .357Mag round.  Was it rated for ..38 AND .357?  +p ammo maybe?

P320 is great.  I love Sig and have a number of them.  Apex triggers are an after-market mod you might want to look at.  I believe they come with night sights, if not, get some.  

Side story. My grandfather has this old revolver in a spring loaded quick draw holster behind his night stand. You slap leather and the thing springs open, whap!
I can't remember the manufacturer, but I want to say the gun is a Colt Police Positive Special.  He bought/won/traded for it before he was drafted in 1942 and its chambered for .38 Special. I don't think it's been fired in probably 50 years, but he keeps it obsessively clean and in good order. At any rate, when he dies I'm going to inherit this pistol, but I don't think I'll ever try anything hot in it, because I don't want it to blow up in my hand like the gun above. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Right. Because I’m picturing you were robbing a bank in a black and white stripped shirt with black eye mask when all of the sudden Superman was standing behind you. And then he snapped the revolver and bopped you on the head, leaving you tied up with the bags of money sitting next to you.

Yep, the coppers had us pinned down, see!  We had the loot and we was gonna take or even if it meant.................

Naw, the receiver and barrel just cracked at the range while putting several rounds of .357 magnum through it.

obwat_baby.gif

12 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

Yep, the coppers had us pinned down, see!  We had the loot and we was gonna take or even if it meant.................

Naw, the receiver and barrel just cracked at the range while putting several rounds of .357 magnum through it.

obwat_baby.gif

Cracks and micro-fractures are common, especially in certain military and LE units that train considerably.  I know the old 92F slides were retired after roughly 5,000 rounds.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

I have shot a 10mm and it feels much closed to the .357 magnum than the 9mm.  I always thought 9mm was closer to the .38 special.  I loved the 10mm that I rented.  Okay, so I am on board with a 9mm.  

It is an older revolver.  This is the Llama Commanche III .357 magnum.  It is from somewhere between 1989 - 1993.  I was running Remington .357 Magnum125 GR. JSP.  It was not +.

I found an old forum talking about this revolver earlier today and they had this to say: "I just got a Llama Comanche III 357mag. last weekend as a gift for my father-in-law. We finally got the chance to shoot it yesterday and after 30-40 rounds, the gun blew apart were the barrel screws into the frame."

• Hook 'Em 1

Welp............
Going to need some recommendations on a new home defense weapon.   Probably a full size 9mm or 10mm.  I already looked at the Sig P320.  Any thoughts?

357-1.thumb.jpg.366df863bf678b1430fe7a1574d55fe8.jpg
357-2.thumb.jpg.2957397178961b3086c544cfdf21b1d8.jpg

For defensive purposes 9mm all the way.

Sig 320’s are great. See if you can find an X model - grip is better and trigger is better.

If you don’t have a Glock 19 in your collection you should.

CZ’s are great. I love them. P07 and P10C are in my collection and a shadow 2 is on deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Handcruser said:

For defensive purposes 9mm all the way.

Sig 320’s are great. See if you can find an X model - grip is better and trigger is better.

If you don’t have a Glock 19 in your collection you should.

CZ’s are great. I love them. P07 and P10C are in my collection and a shadow 2 is on deck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m a big cz fan myself. Lots of good pistols out there no doubt but they don’t get talked about as much as I think they should. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

A company called Royal Tiger Imports discovered a huge trove of WW2 era M1 Carbines (and a some other types like Mausers & Enfields) in Ethiopia, stored by that government stacked literally like cordwood in a crude shed.
supposedly they have been selling them off for $1,000 each. Crazy price, considering the neglect for decades.

Look closely at that “wall” behind the guy in the middle.

44C40A00-5177-49BA-96B1-6C6632B79C7A.jpeg

E03DBCA6-39C0-43C7-BF4F-649963650DAF.jpeg

036EF3E6-18CE-41EE-85B9-31D3B41B84B5.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3

Man, how fun would it be restoring it and getting it back into working shape.  That's half the fun right there.  Modern .30 carbine ammo is much more advanced than the 110gr ball ammo the soldiers used.  Heavier, jacketed rounds have similar ballistics to a .357 Mag (ex. 110 Grain FTX Critical Defense round).  That's a heck of a ranch rifle or even home defense option.  

If you are a fan of carbines chambered in pistol calibers, it out-performs all the usual suspects.

. 30 Carbine 110 Grain FTX Critical Defense by Hornady

Velocity Muzzle: 2000 ft per second  / 977 Ft lbs of Energy

9mm +P 124 Grain XTP by Hornady

Velocity Muzzle: 1175 ft per second / 380 Ft lbs of Energy

.45 ACP +P 200 Grain XTP by Hornady

Velocity Muzzle: 1055 ft per second / 495 Ft lbs of Energy

Sexy bitch right here....

30carbAimpoint3.jpg?resize=750,386&ssl=1

• Like 1

I had originally thought about the M1 Carbine before winding up buying the Ruger PC 9mm. Prices made me gun shy.

What is the best modern made reproduction M1 Carbine these days? I know Auto Ordnance makes some variations, but they start at $900+.

btw - the Speer 124 gr. +p GDs are rated @ 520 ft/lbs ME out of the 16” barrel Ruger.

Edited by Armybrat