The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Just dad and I at his place for Thanksgiving.  After we had lunch, we dug into his safe and pulled out a few guns to look at and wipe down.  

Savage 24 22LR/410 that’s a squirrel killing machine, paid $20.40 for it in 1967. He had a Winchester 74 22LR Semiauto like this one strapped to a tractor in 40s and 50s and shot many an armadillo and jack rabbit with it. Winchester 94 Buffalo Bill Commemoritive bought in 1969 for $100, Henry Golden Boy 22 mag, Remington 1897 12 ga that’s been in the family since the early 1900s. 

D41-BC052-9071-4-A13-B02-E-ED3795998-F15

Some military rifles
M48 Mauser, K98 Mauser, H& R Garand, Sks, Remington 1917 Enfield in 30-06, Springfield 1903 in 30-06, Sporterized Remington 1903 in 30-06 with a 3x7 scope on swing away mount.  Should be a M1 carbine in there but it doesn’t seem to be around.

0894-AFCC-6629-4-E61-A1-FB-C545656-E45-E

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

Everybody gonna get some corelokts

https://www.startribune.com/anoka-s-vista-outdoor-gets-boost-from-remington-ammunition-purchase/573193001/

Vista Outdoor’s purchase of Remington’s ammunition assets from a bankruptcy auction in October was welcome news to employees at Remington’s ammunition plant in Lonoke, Ark.

Nick Sachse has worked for Remington for 28 years and is currently director of product management. He estimates that during his tenure there have been six owners of Remington.

This fall’s sale to Anoka-based Vista excites him because it is the first of those owners whose primary business is ammunition and whose whole business participates in the outdoors industry.

“I don’t know who could have purchased us that would have been more reassuring to furloughed employees,” Sachse said.

Vista owns Federal and other ammunition brands and a portfolio of other outdoor brands such as Camp Chef outdoor cooking equipment, Bell and Giro bicycle helmets and CamelBak hydration products.

It added Remington assets in October for $81.4 million. The deal included the Remington brand, trademarks and accessories business and the main ammunition-production facility in Lonoke. Remington’s other assets, including its firearms division, were acquired by other bidders.

ows_07329c08-3caf-4e1a-bd0b-313c67a9e7c3.jpg?auto=compress&crop=faces&dpr=2&w=262.5

The Lonoke plant typically employs 700 to 800 people, and during peak production has had more than 1,000 employees. But during the disruptions caused by the bankruptcies in 2018 and earlier this year, employment had dipped below 400.

Vista is now bringing back at least 300 more employees, including employees who had previously been furloughed or laid of

The FN 5.7x28mm is what got me thinking about a possible wildcat that would have a little bit more diameter for varmints and critters that could also be shot in a carbine. Was thinking something flat shooting, but with a small enough case to cramp a bunch in a standard pistol magazine. Originally, I was thinking a .30 carbine trimmed back and necked down to .25 caliber, but the .30 carbine case just can't take that much pressure. Then I stumbled upon some posts on Glock Talk about a .30 luger conversion for Glocks. Guy was getting almost 2000 fps with like 55 grain bullets. But if you take 9x23 Winchester, you can use the .30 luger dies with a little set back for the extra length to make basically the same round but just a tad longer and out of a case that's rated for an extra 20,000 psi. With the right bullets, they should fit in a standard 9mm pistol mag. So a barrel(s) swap, a few twists with a reamer, and a little reloading should be able to get you a round that gets close to the same velocity, but is .30 cal instead of .22 and fits in a standard magazine for both common pistols and the carbines that accept their magazines.
Get you a Cz52 pistol. Is uses the 30 Luger round, loaded to much higher pressure. Not sure the limit of the brass, but the pistol itself can handle whatever pressure you throw at it.

Bought a Taurus G3C for 275$ today. Wanted a compact for self defense and didn’t want to break the bank. 

066AF3E1-0992-4838-9D7F-83F7CF5C95ED.thumb.jpeg.ae1b1cab5f8b93d90f33b35d0eef718f.jpeg

My uncle has one of those (freebie from Taurus) and that thing had the worst trigger I have ever encountered. On any gun. I hope yours is better.

I told him to make that his truck gun. Good grief it was awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6 hours ago, Armybrat said:

You can probably find some at an Academy if you get there early enough on a deliver/stocking morning.

Or else you could pay an outrageous price of $1/round at an online dealer like SGAMMO.

Good luck.

I don't begrudge that old man at SG Ammo one bit. I regularly bought from there for a couple of years and he had good prices and every weekly email said (paraphrasing), "This shit is cheap. You better buy it now before there's another shortage."

Can't say he didn't warn us!

EDIT: I have no idea if he's an old man or not. His newsletter is just more fun to read that way. 

Edited by crimsonlonghorn

Yeah- SG Ammo was sounding the alarms on how cheap stuff was for the past couple of years and kept their prices until all of their inventory was depleted.  No profiteering there.  Prices only went up when his COG rose.  Guy’s honest and up front.

As stated above, his newsletter told you it wouldn’t last and to stock up.  

23 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

My buddy just got in to guns in June or July. He has since amassed 4000+ rounds of 9mm and prob 3000+ rounds of 223. All from academy. All in the last 2 months. He went twice yesterday Friday and scored 1500 rounds total.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Will you tell him to ease off on building an arsenal so the rest of the general public can have a reasonable amount?

Edited by Enchubben
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

If it’s a shotgun and manufacturer doesn’t begin with B, stay away

Well P and k guns wouldn’t wipe their ass with about 95% of what the B’s put out, but yeah. 

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Speaking of Academy, anybody got any hands-on time with these Turkish Yildiz shotguns they sel up there? Been thinking about buying one for clays.

I’ve got one from 15+ years ago and put it through its paces. It has never fucked up. Not nearly as balanced as anything 3-4x it’s cost, of course. I’ve handled several others and for whatever reason, mine breaks a bit smoother and just feels good. Don’t know if they’ve gotten worse over time?  But again, you won’t mistake it for a superposed anytime soon.  Yildiz makes high end sport guns (think 5k+) but that’s not what Academy is importing.  For $400 they are hard to beat, tho I think CZ has a decent cheap OU.  Winchester did too for awhile, but I think they were closer to 1k. 

Edited by fattyflattie
  • Hook 'Em 1

@Bozo_Casanova  the niche they fill best is someone who thinks they want an OU, but doesn’t want to spend 2k to find out.  Training wheels if you will. That’s the best way I can think to describe it.  Mine actually had nicer wood than the 686 I shoot until some asshole shot me (and it).  But I’ve read some horror stories. And look at the CZ and Winchester. The price point isn’t that far off iirc. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

@Bozo_Casanova  the niche they fill best is someone who thinks they want an OU, but doesn’t want to spend 2k to find out.  Training wheels if you will. That’s the best way I can think to describe it.  Mine actually had nicer wood than the 686 I shoot until some asshole shot me (and it).  But I’ve read some horror stories. And look at the CZ and Winchester. The price point isn’t that far off iirc. 

The bold above describes me to a T. Somebody shot you?

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

The bold above describes me to a T. Somebody shot you?

Yes.  Was on a quail hunt with a vendor and the sales guy that took me, shot me. I do not recommend.  Still quite a bit of lead in my forehead, chin, neck, hand, and thigh.   The hand is the only one the docs felt safe about getting back out (they sent me to Ben Taub instead) but I will probably push a doc to get the one out of my sinus above my eye at some point (that one and hand are bothersome at times).  The two in my neck, one landed 2mm from my artery, so they said safer to leave it (and hurry up and finish having kids).  I was lucky that it was cold and a carhart stopped a bunch in my chest/stomach area (went into jacket but not me) and one side of the stock took a bunch too.  Pretty heavy starched jeans took a beating but only 4 got thru (2 each in an identical pattern BEHIND my scrote, somehow). I was able to dig 2 out with a knife but not the other two.   I also had one in each ear but worked those out within a day or two.  Tremendously lucky with my eyes, I wear glass lenses Costas so wouldn’t have been much help there.  

The following few days, we had our annual management/senior ops meeting where they bring in a motivational speaker to talk about safety.  The particular guy they brought in was a guy who was fully blinded by his son on a quail hunt. Im certain you could see the goosebumps I had during his story from across the room. 

As a final insult, I mobilized to Singapore a few days later.  It’s hard to describe how sore I was during that flight.  Everywhere a pellet hit left a ~2” diameter bruise.  I knew it was going to suck because I had went to watch a Lyle concert a few days before the flight, and it was tight quarters.   I went from spending several million a year with that company to never using them again. Not because he shot me, because I never even got a fucking phone call about it afterwards.  

I told my wife I about the accident about 15 mins before I returned home.  Went straight to the bathroom and started trying to remove some. Got two out of left thigh (iirc) but the right were deep and was very painful/bloody trying to get them out. She flipped out when she saw that and made me go to Methodist in Katy.  They listed me as a multiple gun shot victim, and listed it as buckshot, even though I told them 100 times it was 7 shot.  Anyhow, tons of xrays thru the night. They find the ones in my neck, and that gets me a speeding amberlamps ride to Ben Taub.  “Multiple gun shot victim”.  The EMS guy must have been the only one who hunted, because he came in and said “I had to meet the guy who took 12 buckshot and lived”.  We laughed and I asked him to slow the ambulance down.  They monitored my blood pressure on my ankles because the stuff in my thighs.  A cute Hispanic nurse gave me a mini handy to make sure I didn’t have blood in my garbage - it was cold af and I was not representin :(     Also, an old high school classmate who works there came in and said hello, he had seen my name in the charts and wanted to see if it was me.  

Aside from the young nurse/doc handy, I recommend none of it.  Make sure you know who you are hunting with.   Oh, and I still don’t know how it happened because I hit the bird at 0*, and was hit from 90* off to my right.  Boom, feathers, then...whap. Laid gun down and took a knee and blood was dripping out of my face. Knew it was going to be bad. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Speaking of Academy, anybody got any hands-on time with these Turkish Yildiz shotguns they sel up there? Been thinking about buying one for clays.

I presume you are talking about the $400 12 gauge model? 

My brother has one and likes it, but he isn't a clays shooter and doesn't put many rounds through it. Mostly just carries it when walking around looking for quail in Scurry County. 

For that price, I'd guess the quality of the materials isn't as good as a more reputable brand, including inside the action.

As with anything, it will wear out more quickly the more often you use it. Probably OK for occasional hunting use but my guess is that as a high-volume clays gun it won't last as long as a Beretta or Browning O/U. 

All that being said, for that price, take a flyer and buy one and use it and let us know what you think. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Yes.  Was on a quail hunt with a vendor and the sales guy that took me, shot me. I do not recommend.  Still quite a bit of lead in my forehead, chin, neck, hand, and thigh.   The hand is the only one the docs felt safe about getting back out (they sent me to Ben Taub instead) but I will probably push a doc to get the one out of my sinus above my eye at some point (that one and hand are bothersome at times).

Same, but was a childhood friend.  Scariest part was the giant crack in my cheap sunglasses.  The part about being blinded did give me goosebumps.  I'd gotten' my arm up and to shield my face which took the brunt of the shot.  It was bloody as all get out, but the wound were superficial and tweezers got them all out.  Doc in Brownwood just looked it all over and checked for any misses pellets.  

Quail hunting on foot.  No dogs.  Flushed and then flew between us and he lost sight of me.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

For that price, I'd guess the quality of the materials isn't as good as a more reputable brand, including inside the action.

This sums up my experience.  Aluminum receiver. The trigger selector and barrel break are cast.  Minimal engraving and is all laser engraving. Some have surprisingly good wood, some have tomato sticks.  But Beretta struggles with that too.  Chokes are really hard to find, Briley has them but they are irritatingly expensive for such a “value priced” gun.  Mine patterns pretty well but I’d like another F, M, and IM. No support with aftermarket break down cases etc.  I built my own.  They fall on the light end so pack a little more punch at the  clay range, but a lot of folks on shotgun forums found you can add a lead bar in an existing hole in butt stock and take some of the punch out.  I’ve swung mine several thousand times now, and am used to the balance so never messed with that.  I quit count years ago but was 3k plus shells into it at that point. 

It’s a lot of gun for $400, or mine has been.  I’ve read some horror stories.  

I’m working on sneaking a 20/28 Etchen into the house at the moment.   One of these days when the kids grow up I’m adding a P-gun to the cabinet. OU’s is all I’ve shot since I purchased this one in early 2000’s.  Anywhere from coastal ducks hunting to quail (haven’t goosed hunted in 20 years, this wouldn’t be ideal) 

Edited by fattyflattie

Yes.  Was on a quail hunt with a vendor and the sales guy that took me, shot me. I do not recommend.  Still quite a bit of lead in my forehead, chin, neck, hand, and thigh.   The hand is the only one the docs felt safe about getting back out (they sent me to Ben Taub instead) but I will probably push a doc to get the one out of my sinus above my eye at some point (that one and hand are bothersome at times).  The two in my neck, one landed 2mm from my artery, so they said safer to leave it (and hurry up and finish having kids).  I was lucky that it was cold and a carhart stopped a bunch in my chest/stomach area (went into jacket but not me) and one side of the stock took a bunch too.  Pretty heavy starched jeans took a beating but only 4 got thru (2 each in an identical pattern BEHIND my scrote, somehow). I was able to dig 2 out with a knife but not the other two.   I also had one in each ear but worked those out within a day or two.  Tremendously lucky with my eyes, I wear glass lenses Costas so wouldn’t have been much help there.  

The following few days, we had our annual management/senior ops meeting where they bring in a motivational speaker to talk about safety.  The particular guy they brought in was a guy who was fully blinded by his son on a quail hunt. Im certain you could see the goosebumps I had during his story from across the room. 

As a final insult, I mobilized to Singapore a few days later.  It’s hard to describe how sore I was during that flight.  Everywhere a pellet hit left a ~2” diameter bruise.  I knew it was going to suck because I had went to watch a Lyle concert a few days before the flight, and it was tight quarters.   I went from spending several million a year with that company to never using them again. Not because he shot me, because I never even got a fucking phone call about it afterwards.  

I told my wife I about the accident about 15 mins before I returned home.  Went straight to the bathroom and started trying to remove some. Got two out of left thigh (iirc) but the right were deep and was very painful/bloody trying to get them out. She flipped out when she saw that and made me go to Methodist in Katy.  They listed me as a multiple gun shot victim, and listed it as buckshot, even though I told them 100 times it was 7 shot.  Anyhow, tons of xrays thru the night. They find the ones in my neck, and that gets me a speeding amberlamps ride to Ben Taub.  “Multiple gun shot victim”.  The EMS guy must have been the only one who hunted, because he came in and said “I had to meet the guy who took 12 buckshot and lived”.  We laughed and I asked him to slow the ambulance down.  They monitored my blood pressure on my ankles because the stuff in my thighs.  A cute Hispanic nurse gave me a mini handy to make sure I didn’t have blood in my garbage - it was cold af and I was not representin      Also, an old high school classmate who works there came in and said hello, he had seen my name in the charts and wanted to see if it was me.  

Aside from the young nurse/doc handy, I recommend none of it.  Make sure you know who you are hunting with.   Oh, and I still don’t know how it happened because I hit the bird at 0*, and was hit from 90* off to my right.  Boom, feathers, then...whap. Laid gun down and took a knee and blood was dripping out of my face. Knew it was going to be bad. 

So was the shooter about 40 yards from you or less?

5 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

You tried looking on gunbrokers approved list?

I did -- I picked one close to me (I had used a guy over on Burnet Rd a few years ago, but can't find him on there any longer).  I can pick another one, I just thought that maybe someone would have a rec to help with my choice.

26 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I did -- I picked one close to me (I had used a guy over on Burnet Rd a few years ago, but can't find him on there any longer).  I can pick another one, I just thought that maybe someone would have a rec to help with my choice.

I use Guns Warehouse in Cedar Park but you probably want something closer in.

2 hours ago, HouTex said:

So was the shooter about 40 yards from you or less?

Seemed like it was a bit further than that, tbh.  I know it really opened my eyes to how much damage can be inflicted that far out; it really surprised me.  The culprit was a fresh out of the box 870 he was shooting, so I assume it was Mod choked.  Hit from my thighs up to top of head (orange cap has a bunch of holes in it) and everywhere between. 

2 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

I’ve watched a video of a guy that was blinded bird hunting. Older guy. I think it might have been his son that did it. Either way, piss on bird hunting with people.

If the guy was sporting a Yankees hat and big into German Shepards, it’s the same guy.  Half safety gear talk (no goggles, hunter orange, etc) and half pick yourself up and move on (working with the dogs gave him new meaning for life etc).  Wrote a book and all that.   Iirc his son still guides hunts somewhere in West Tx. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Well?  Rule #1(b)   This isn’t ‘nam and all that. 

A MAS 49/56 in .308 -- he wanted a "fun gun" to take out when we go on deer hunting weekends, maybe something to use for hogs. And he wanted something with some age and history:

pix923748822.jpg

It comes with the bayonet.  If he ends up using that on a pig, I'll be impressed.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

@Brisketexan   Color me very jealous.  A MAS-49 has been on my list and I've been trying to pick one up at an auction house for a while now, but keep getting pushed over my number.

Collectors have been scooping them up.

Mind me asking where you found it?

I hope the boys doesn't mind the "Never been fired...dropped once." jokes that are sure to follow.

7 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

@Brisketexan   Color me very jealous.  A MAS-49 has been on my list and I've been trying to pick one up at an auction house for a while now, but keep getting pushed over my number.

Collectors have been scooping them up.

Mind me asking where you found it?

I hope the boys doesn't mind the "Never been fired...dropped once." jokes that are sure to follow.

Gunbroker, dealer out of Lincoln, OR -- was an estate sale gun.  And yeah, he already made the crack about buying a French military weapon himself.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Anyone got a good, reliable FFL guy they use in the NW Austin area?  Bought a gun for the boy, need it shipped to a FFL, and the one I tried (ATX Armory) isn't being responsive (the sender can't connect with them).  Anyone else you recommend?

Saddlerock Armory on 620 just west of Round Rock (2nd floor of little strip centrr building). A mom & pop shop.