The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Think there are several “reduced recoil” 308 options out there. Well in normal times.  I’ve never tried any but some of my buddies have picked them up for the kiddos. 

Fusion had reduced recoil in 7mm-08 and 308 when my kid was starting to take up deer hunting. That was almost a decade ago tho.

No painting on the stock, no rust. It’s in really good, but weathered, shape. This gun was carried, not just kept in storage. Makes it kinda cool - maybe has a story or two in its history.

I prefer to think it was used by the French Foreign Legion - by some WWII Texas vet who had to change his identity and join up after killing some Aggies in a bar fight over their fake army claims.

Those rechambered MAS's are not known for reliability. The .308 round is loaded at somewhat higher press entry than the old 7.65 x whatever in that rifle and it goofs up the operation. If you're so inclined, try loading some "reduced power" ammo for it.

Appreciate the suggestion. And turns out the neighbor doesn’t have extra .308, it’s 7mm 08 (if any of y’all need that, he has three boxes to sell).

So, we’ll wait till prices go down and availability goes up (yeah, may be a while) and maybe try both standard and reduced power to see how it plays with each.

2 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

I prefer to think it was used by the French Foreign Legion - by some WWII Texas vet who had to change his identity and join up after killing some Aggies in a bar fight over their fake army claims.

Yeah, since the intro of the semi-auto MAS, France has continued to lose its ass militarily, but not in the fashion of WWII.  They fought hard, if perhaps poorly, in Indochine, Algeria, and other parts of Africa.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Appreciate the suggestion. And turns out the neighbor doesn’t have extra .308, it’s 7mm 08 (if any of y’all need that, he has three boxes to sell).

So, we’ll wait till prices go down and availability goes up (yeah, may be a while) and maybe try both standard and reduced power to see how it plays with each.

@Brisketexan let me see what I can scrounge up.  I’ve got several 308’s but they are out of my rotation at the moment, and I’m not in a hurry or need for them.  If I ever make it back to Texas I’m going to have to grab those prints from you anyhow. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I'll give you a box of .308 if you like.  That way you can take it to the range.

I also have a box of .45 ACP to trade if anyone wants to do that.

• Like 1

[mention=593]Brisketexan[/mention] let me see what I can scrounge up.  I’ve got several 308’s but they are out of my rotation at the moment, and I’m not in a hurry or need for them.  If I ever make it back to Texas I’m going to have to grab those prints from you anyhow. 

I'll give you a box of .308 if you like.  That way you can take it to the range.
I also have a box of .45 ACP to trade if anyone wants to do that.

Thanks for the generous offers, gents. I may well take you up on that sooner rather than later.

And fatty, the prints are here when you want em. Hope you have a chance to be in this neck of the woods sometime soon.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Thanks for the generous offers, gents. I may well take you up on that sooner rather than later.

And fatty, the prints are here when you want em. Hope you have a chance to be in this neck of the woods sometime soon.

I can meet you this week so you have it before Christmas. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

One of the boy’s big Xmas presents:

38dbab43e7c4e0d4d26ab9d7078f88c3.jpg

MAS 49/56, chambered for .308. Came with three extra mags and a bayonet. I’ve cleaned it up and gone over it pretty thoroughly, and it looks to be ready to shoot. Could use some ammo, though.

He wanted something that was truly “his gun,” as opposed to any number of our family guns that he hunts with. When we go out to ranches for work weekends, or even between hunts, people often shoot other guns for fun at the homemade range, and he wanted to have something for that. And might it be a pig killer someday? Maybe. He’s excited by shooting with iron sights, and just having something to pop off with the older guys at the ranch. It’s a cool gun, we’ll see how it shoots.

As already stated, the conversions can have extensive issues.  The .308 conversions are notorious for issues due to a poor job in the conversion process stateside. The barrels and gas system were shortened to accommodate the shorter cartridge, increasing pressure significantly. If you have issues, you can go over the gas system to see where its binding, but don't be too surprised if it's due to improper workmanship.  Get it to the range ASAP and run rounds through it.  I have heard you can look at aftermarket items to help make the gas system adjustable (ie. adjustable gas valves)

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

As already stated, the conversions can have extensive issues.  The .308 conversions are notorious for issues due to a poor job in the conversion process stateside. The barrels and gas system were shortened to accommodate the shorter cartridge, increasing pressure significantly. If you have issues, you can go over the gas system to see where its binding, but don't be too surprised if it's due to improper workmanship.  Get it to the range ASAP and run rounds through it.  I have heard you can look at aftermarket items to help make the gas system adjustable (ie. adjustable gas valves)

Thanks for the insight.  We'll give it our best shot.  If there are adjustments to be made, we'll make them.  If not....I'm guessing we can sell and get something different.  It's a hobby gun, so that's the way it goes.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

I was reading up on them, and it is apparently the Charter Arms .308 conversions that were problematic.  There are other conversions that are less so.  I'd guess Charter left some kind of mark somewhere to determine whether it passed through their hands.

I'll look for it.

Also, something I've realized as I've gotten older and my eyes have gotten even shittier -- I am VERY nearsighted.  Wear contacts, have for pretty much my whole life.  As I've gotten older, I get the "can't read things too small" thing that old folks get.  But, if I take out my contacts, I could be a master watchmaker.  I can hold things right up to my face, inches away, in perfect focus.  So, I can see incredible detail and do detail work, which my shitty eyes let me do.  I can see the smallest marks and smudges on a firearm, so I can do really good detailed work and cleaning, with my nose 3 inches away from the object.

It's the little things -- trying to turn my handicap to an advantage, but it really does work.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

I'll look for it.

Also, something I've realized as I've gotten older and my eyes have gotten even shittier -- I am VERY nearsighted.  Wear contacts, have for pretty much my whole life.  As I've gotten older, I get the "can't read things too small" thing that old folks get.  But, if I take out my contacts, I could be a master watchmaker.  I can hold things right up to my face, inches away, in perfect focus.  So, I can see incredible detail and do detail work, which my shitty eyes let me do.  I can see the smallest marks and smudges on a firearm, so I can do really good detailed work and cleaning, with my nose 3 inches away from the object.

It's the little things -- trying to turn my handicap to an advantage, but it really does work.

bubbles.gif

• Haha 1

I'll look for it.

You can be a forger if you ever wind up in a Luftwaffe POW camp.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

A Las Vegas area friend posted this interesting Christmas surprise this morning...

Well it looks like I’m getting an early Christmas present from the Henderson PD.

My .357 revolver that was stolen 10 years ago (2010) was recovered at a crime scene a year later (2011).

I was informed nine years ago, when it was recovered by LV Metro PD, that it will need to be held as evidence for trial.

Looks like the nine year long trial is finally over and I’m getting my gun back.

Yippee”

A Las Vegas area friend posted this interesting Christmas surprise this morning...

“Well it looks like I’m getting an early Christmas present from the Henderson PD.

My .357 revolver that was stolen 10 years ago (2010) was recovered at a crime scene a year later (2011).

I was informed nine years ago, when it was recovered by LV Metro PD, that it will need to be held as evidence for trial.

Looks like the nine year long trial is finally over and I’m getting my gun back.

Yippee”

Had a handgun stolen about 9-10 years ago... always figured I’d find out it was used in a crime eventually but not yet

Gift wrapping some stuff for the kids & grandkids today:

Son #1 - 50 round box Federal 9mm 115 gr. fmj.

DIL - same as above.

(Son & DIL are getting my four Alamo Bowl game tickets)

Son #2 - NIB Ruger SR9 full size pistol, plus two extra 17 round magazines and a 100 round box of WWB 9mm fmj 115 gr. 

Grandson #1 - NIB Remington RM380 pocket pistol, plus two extra magazines and a 100 round box of WWB .380 fmj 90 gr.  

Granddaughter - NIB Ruger LCP pocket pistol, plus two extra magazines and a 100 round box of WWB .380 fmj 90 gr.

Grandson #2 - Vintage Winchester Model 67a single shot bolt action rifle in 90% condition, plus gun sock and one brick of Remington .22. 

Grandson #3 - same as above. Plus an El Paso Saddlery hand tooled holster from Texas Jack for the Ruger .22 Bearcat revolver I gifted him for his 10th birthday earlier this year.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 12/22/2020 at 12:22 PM, Armybrat said:

Well it looks like I’m getting an early Christmas present from the Henderson PD.

Yippee”

Yeah but where’s he gonna get ammo? I heard companies like Federal aren’t making as much and what they do make they store in secret warehouses. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Grandson #2 wins this year. 

I feel like Grandson #3 won out, because he's getting accessories for the bearcat.  @Armybrat I'm almost to the point where my Ruger Wrangler SA is my favorite plinker. You oughta get that or a single six and a holster for Grandson #2 to make up for the slight

Gave grandson #2 my S&W Model 63 J-frame .22 a couple of years ago (see below), so he isn’t getting shorted. Besides, he is getting an XBox X Series this Christmas (or as soon as we can find one).

Son #2 is a blue collar, so he gets more hardware than Son #1 who is a “1%er”.

Grandson #3 is also getting a lot of new clothes & bed sheet sets (at his request), plus several collectible die cast models from my collection.

DIL recently got my mother’s 32 carat Aquamarine for her birthday, so she’s good with the one box of ammo to go with the S&W Shield I gave her two years ago. Plus she’s sharing the Alamo Bowl tickets with Son #1.

D8A572C3-D93F-470E-91E3-0FB0DD0CE681.jpeg

E7E57D1E-C6E0-42B9-911E-6D3506D3C069.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Gave grandson #2 my S&W Model 63 J-frame .22 a couple of years ago (see below), so he isn’t getting shorted. Besides, he is getting an XBox X Series this Christmas (or as soon as we can find one).

Son #2 is a blue collar, so he gets more hardware than Son #1 who is a “1%er”.

Grandson #3 is also getting a lot of new clothes & bed sheet sets (at his request), plus several collectible die cast models from my collection.

DIL recently got my mother’s 32 carat Aquamarine for her birthday, so she’s good with the one box of ammo to go with the S&W Shield I gave her two years ago. Plus she’s sharing the Alamo Bowl tickets with Son #1.

D8A572C3-D93F-470E-91E3-0FB0DD0CE681.jpeg

E7E57D1E-C6E0-42B9-911E-6D3506D3C069.jpeg

Will you adopt me? I come with a bred heifer, so it’s a pretty sweet deal.