The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

2 hours ago, markstanco said:

I understand that part.  My concern (no Im not buying one) would be that the feds subpoena their customer list.  

They don't need a subpoena; the Feds placed the ad on facebook.

Joking...maybe I'm not.

These aren't the old oil can filters.  These are stainless or titanium in line filters and the ads are not even creatively veiled to pretend to be for fuel

There is a case where a guy whose business is tricking out 4x4's got a visit from LEO's because of his purchases of legitimate stainless in-line filters.  He documented it and shared it with some media.  I seem to recall he was former military and a gun buff, so he figured out exactly what the problem was. 

Most of these shipments are coming out of china, so there isn't a manufacturer they can raid, but they can figure out who's making the transactions.

20 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Yeah their .308 a-Max 178gr had been solid but now it’s always sold out. I like it better than just about everything that isn’t Federal Fusion 180gr.

Gorilla has been solid for me as well, I switched from a-Max to the Lehigh pig punisher after somebody in here recommended that over the a and v Max

I've been looking for a good .308 for my AR that is not too expensive.  I've been trying Federal non-typical 150, Core loct 180, Federal buckmaster 165 and Federal Premium Sierra Matchking 168

Have not had enough time on it yet to dial in the best factory loads.  I will look into that Fusion 180 but was thinking the 150-168 range might be better.  No data just a hunch.

I've been looking for a good .308 for my AR that is not too expensive.  I've been trying Federal non-typical 150, Core loct 180, Federal buckmaster 165 and Federal Premium Sierra Matchking 168
Have not had enough time on it yet to dial in the best factory loads.  I will look into that Fusion 180 but was thinking the 150-168 range might be better.  No data just a hunch.

Yeah of our group, all 3 have switched to fusion. 1 for his 30.06, this season switched.

Another already was a fan but decided on fusion over his hornady. He and I both use 180gr

The other was all over the place and found that his sig tread 716i loved fusion. He loves the 165gr.

I run a suppressed pistol 12.5” ar10, the 150gr I can get it about 1.5moa, the 165gr I think my best group was 1.2moa but my best group at 180gr was 1moa at 100yrds. It has some serious drop out past 250yrds but I have a ballistic app that I run out in the field and it’s pretty spot on when I remember to input the wind direction and proper temps. With the 180gr fusion I’m getting about 2150 average FPS 2’ from the end of my can.
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

The oil filters take an adapter. The adapter is the Nfa part.

My understanding is that that was originally the case. But then the ATF changed their mind and said the shell of the oil filter was the NFA part. So if you get one you have to send the whole filter back when it needs repairs.

12 hours ago, TexasEd said:

My AR .308 works best with 168 grain, but YMMV.

Haven't been able to shoot the new one yet, but I hope it does too because that's most of what I have stocked up. 

12 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

My understanding is that that was originally the case. But then the ATF changed their mind and said the shell of the oil filter was the NFA part. So if you get one you have to send the whole filter back when it needs repairs.

This matches my understanding.  You have to engrave your stamp number on the filter part.  

6.8 Western by Winchester / Browning is now officially on the market (or at least is being marketed.....no idea if it is actually available anywhere)

And go...........

And there’s no doubt that Browning and Winchester are touting this new cartridge as a long-range hunting and target shooting load to try to capture some of the excitement created by the 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC. With the 6.8 Western’s heavier bullets, Winchester says it’s bringing 16 percent more energy than the 6.5 PRC at 500 yards and 67 percent more energy than the 6.5 Creedmoor. Winchester is claiming 24 ft-lb of recoil, which is about the same as a 7mm Rem. Mag. (but again, with more energy at long ranges).

YFKD6LAX45FQLNCJHW57Q6QYQE.thumb.jpg.8c56b78090ca8c87dbf3f361c9d3d25b.jpgVISA76E5YBEY3F5MBRPF24STGM.thumb.jpg.2c8dde8a5fda4f184b48ecb43517d336.jpg5CTMSW6PMVH3ZMVHQPCT7QHRQA.thumb.jpg.eab815f1ed6fa3018b14f3723bb4f88c.jpg

2 hours ago, Johnny Chimpo said:

I’m looking into picking up my first hunting rifle and I don’t want to get too exotic with the cartridge. Best cartridge for Rocky Mountain whitetail muleys and potentially Elk? I’m thinking 7mm mag after doing some research. 

You wouldn’t go wrong with a 7mag.  Maybe a .300 win mag, as another consideration.

However, if you want 180 degrees from exotic, then a 30-06 would still be the universal caliber to consider. 

I’m not an ‘06 guy, but have a couple older guns chambered in it.  I honestly can’t recall ever killing big game with one, but I do recognize it as a premier, do-all lower 48 caliber when it comes to load selection, ammo “typically” being everywhere, and appropriate for elk/moose down to white tail. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

For that matter, if you are not shooting cross-mountain and won't need a lot of energy out past 300-400 yard, a .270 could also be in the mix.

Granted, it's on the lighter end for elk, but perfect for mulies and white tail if those are the primary goal.  If you are proficient with it, there is no question that it is enough with a well placed shot at reasonable ranges.

With the proper bullet selection and staying within its limits, the .270 was good enough for Jack O'Conner so it's good enough for me.

I think anyone who has ever guided professionally or assisted guests/new hunters would agree that a hunter who is comfortable with and accurate using a lighter caliber is preferable over someone with a belted magnum or too much gun that they don't shoot well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 1/8/2021 at 5:57 PM, TexasEd said:

Hey, not to CR up this more than you guys already have but I'm a former Republican that left the party because all the "you're fired guy" does is spread hate and lies.  Gun laws are not going to change that much, that is fear mongering. And being unreasonable on this will not end well.  Gun owners need to be more proactive and pragmatic to set the tone or lose a defensible position.   He wants us to have a domestic cold war because it gives him power, more fund raising is the only goal.  Man has likely never shot a gun (maybe for a photo op).

Just be an independent thinker and look for the evidence (from reliable sources), check that evidence twice from different sides and be pragmatic.  It will go a long way to more civil discourse. The people that stormed the capitol, the rioters, he sent them there from his rally knowing that outcome was likely.  Is the "you're fired guy" more important than our constitution and the peaceful transfer of power to you?  The same Constitution that contains the second amendment? If he's not follow the advice we gave Muslims after 9/11 and tell the moderate conservatives they have to expel the radicalized ones because that is what is happening. Remember Pedo Bear taunting Penn State fans over supporting Paterno for not doing something to save boys from Sandusky? The shit we give Baylor for Rape? 

Don't give me any "both sides" shit or say the Dems are gunna take my guns bullshit.  (I'll call you a snowflake and hurt your feelings) Own it, own what the people you are associated with have done and speak out against it or be lumped in with supporting it. I owned it. 

Are you man enough to take responsibility for supporting a traitor and disavow him and the rioters going forward?  Pretty simple, yes or no question.

Jesus, shut the fuck up and keep this sewage in the Cloak Room.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

So what?

43 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

Doesn’t make that dumb shit any more wanted here.

Good point, maybe y’all should periodically bitch out of nowhere about old political posts. That would be not at all political or snowflakish.

In fact maybe we need a gun owners thread about gun shit and a thread just for gun owners expressing their fantastical fears about legal impossibilities and feeding trolls who come in with nonsense about politics.

Or, alternatively, y’all could lighten up a bit.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

Im partial to the 365XL. It shoots more like a compact, has higher capacity, but it’s still comfortable and prints very similarly to the 365.

XL is a great gun. 365 platform is just generally great. SAS is nifty but you don’t want to have to work that slide lock if you’re in a gunfight.

9 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Jesus, shut the fuck up and keep this sewage in the Cloak Room.

Snowflake.

I posted this back in December. 

On 12/12/2020 at 9:04 PM, TexasEd said:

Yeah, this is not the politics thread.  Nothing is going to change to the extent you fear it will.  Fear is a tool to get you to vote but it is not grounded in reality.

But the politics kept coming.  So I called out page 101 being 50% political and people are only being willing to talk politics in this thread if it fit your narrative, which was more conspiracy theory than truth. 

I took the negs from the snowflakes that don't like the truth but they are some of the offenders as well.  I did not respond or keep it up but Johnny has to reply a week later. 🙄  

7 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Doesn’t make that dumb shit any more wanted here.

On 12/12/2020 at 9:17 PM, Jkwellborn said:

You know the ATF is trying to confiscate 80% lowers now right?

On 1/6/2021 at 5:04 PM, Jkwellborn said:

There are people on this site that would gladly load you on a train car bound for an extermination camp for being conservative and thinking differently than they do. Glad most of them stick to the cR.

Hypocritical snowflake (Also the ATF was doing that under the current president.  The one that outlawed bumpstocks, not the new one.)

On 12/12/2020 at 11:31 AM, crimsonlonghorn said:

And it's all going to be executive orders because "this crisis can't wait for congress to act!"

barf

Another hypocritical snowflake

So take the politics to the politics board or continue to have to be rebutted in this thread.  Y'all make the call. 

Edited by TexasEd
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 2

On 1/16/2021 at 3:43 AM, Johnny Chimpo said:

I’m looking into picking up my first hunting rifle and I don’t want to get too exotic with the cartridge. Best cartridge for Rocky Mountain whitetail muleys and potentially Elk? I’m thinking 7mm mag after doing some research. 

7mag, 30-06, or 300win.  If serious about elk, I’d trend closer to the 300 but you can kill them with many cartridges.  My uncle hunted them for 20 years with 308’s and 06’s.   None of those are even slightly exotic. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Thinking about a new 12 gauge for bird hunting. I have an 80’s Remington 1100 but this thread started out in 2018 talking about Remington being garbage these days. What do you a-holes recommend as far as bang for the buck for the casual hunter?
I just bought a Weatherby Orion o/u for 750. Waiting to get it. Got great reviews

19 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Thinking about a new 12 gauge for bird hunting. I have an 80’s Remington 1100 but this thread started out in 2018 talking about Remington being garbage these days. What do you a-holes recommend as far as bang for the buck for the casual hunter?

Stick to the 3" chambers.  My order for semi-auto would be this.  You need to shoulder them and determine what feels good and the barrel length makes a big difference to me for follow through. 

Beretta A300 Should be between 600-700

Weatherby SA-08

Benelli Montefeltro

Stoeger M3000

Mossberg 930

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 1

I'm gonna barge in here with some airGUN talk.

My main shooting thing for the last five years has been airgun field target.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_target

I've been shooting it with a spring piston rifle, much like this one:

180421163202001-1.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Weirauch HW97.

There's nothing inherently inaccurate about such rifles, except the moving and recoiling mass of the spring and piston can  set up some interesting inaccuracies during the relatively long time the pellet sits in the barrel.  It takes skill and experience to shoot accurately over a course of 50-60 shots.

I broke my collarbone a couple of years ago, which forced some time off, into Covid, which halted matches.  So I have been out of it and need some new hardware to rekindle interst.

I am thinking of buying a "pre-charged pneumatic" rifle that carries its own pressurized air supply that is refilled from a 4500 psi tank.  

I'm thinking of this one:

PY-2392_Air-Arms-S500-Xtra_1548967996.jpAir Arms S500.  Which is a midrange gun at ~$1100.  No recoil, hardly anything moves when you squeeze the trigger.

The alternative is to go up to $2500 for a mostly custom gun.  Many of the customizations, I really wouldn't know what to order.

I'll have to get new glass and an air tank and figure out where to get the tank filled.

Maybe this will rekindle my interest and bring my scores up.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

My main shooting thing for the last five years has been airgun field target.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field_target

Weirauch HW97.

There's nothing inherently inaccurate about such rifles, except the moving and recoiling mass of the spring and piston can  set up some interesting inaccuracies during the relatively long time the pellet sits in the barrel.  It takes skill and experience to shoot accurately over a course of 50-60 shots.

I broke my collarbone a couple of years ago, which forced some time off, into Covid, which halted matches.  So I have been out of it and need some new hardware to rekindle interst.

I am thinking of buying a "pre-charged pneumatic" rifle that carries its own pressurized air supply that is refilled from a 4500 psi tank.  

PY-2392_Air-Arms-S500-Xtra_1548967996.jpAir Arms S500.  Which is a midrange gun at ~$1100.  No recoil, hardly anything moves when you squeeze the trigger.

The alternative is to go up to $2500 for a mostly custom gun.  Many of the customizations, I really wouldn't know what to order.

I'll have to get new glass and an air tank and figure out where to get the tank filled.

I can see the appeal, but I have been migrating to .22LR for my target shooting which I enjoy a lot.  I have a lower molar on my shooting side that has had a full root canal from getting broken up during shooting.  That, the tinnitus, and some other issues from playing Rugby for ~15 years makes me want to shoot the larger calibers less these days (hunting and sighting in only).

6 minutes ago, TexasEd said:

I can see the appeal, but I have been migrating to .22LR for my target shooting which I enjoy a lot.  I have a lower molar on my shooting side that has had a full root canal from getting broken up during shooting.  That, the tinnitus, and some other issues from playing Rugby for ~15 years makes me want to shoot the larger calibers less these days (hunting and sighting in only).

Yeah, I don't have to fuck with ammo or worry about gun control.  And if I want to, I can shoot in the backyard or indoors with a pellet trap.  But the energy of the spring piston gun (12 ftlbs) is enough to go through fences and set up interesting and dangerous ricochets.  The PCP would be about 20 ftlbs and oddly enough, they are the loudest of the various categories of air rifle, so that's kind of a no, dawg.

Field target is kind of like skeet, trap, or clays.  There's a course, with targets at different distances from 10 to 55 yards.  With an airgun, thats like shooting 50 to 1000 yards with a centerfire.  You have to know your ballistics and your optics very, very well.  And wind can be a huge issue.

But, the good news with field target, is you spend about $1 in pellets for 50 shots, as opposed to $10+ in shells and clays and fees and etc.  And it takes up 2-3 hours on a Saturday.

56 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

A400 Beretta. Nice but not too nice to use. Extremely popular platform you can do things with if you want to expand past field work.  Several different size/color/wood options.  Not too expensive.  

• Hook 'Em 4

25 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

But, the good news with field target, is you spend about $1 in pellets for 50 shots, as opposed to $10+ in shells and clays and fees and etc.

I figured match pellets would be considerably more. But yeah, it costs me about $30-35 in shells to shoot a 10 stand with good shells. Hell it’s $20 if your using the shitty Rios.  Then the range fees are another $50-70. But what a. Great way to relax on a Sunday afternoon.  

I’ve got a little .22 I’ve built over the last several years that will ragged hole out to 70 yds with match ammo. That’s as good as it will do tho.  75 yds and isn’t even the same gun. It’s what I’m teaching the kiddos on. No recoil, stupid accurate, and cheap to feed (normally). The only thing is it’s heavy af (beaver tailed thumb hole stock and a heavy bull barrel) for them.  Interested in a premium air gun like that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Weirauch HW97.

You should get a Girardoni air rifle.

7 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I figured match pellets would be considerably more. But yeah, it costs me about $30-35 in shells to shoot a 10 stand with good shells. Hell it’s $20 if your using the shitty Rios.  Then the range fees are another $50-70. But what a. Great way to relax on a Sunday afternoon.  

I’ve got a little .22 I’ve built over the last several years that will ragged hole out to 70 yds with match ammo. That’s as good as it will do tho.  75 yds and isn’t even the same gun. It’s what I’m teaching the kiddos on. No recoil, stupid accurate, and cheap to feed (normally). The only thing is it’s heavy af (beaver tailed thumb hole stock and a heavy bull barrel) for them.  Interested in a premium air gun like that. 

A tin of 500 match grade, but not like 10M olympic match grade is about 10-15 bucks.  You can go nuts and weigh them and put them through a diameter gauge and then put them in foam in a box and some people do that.  But for outdoor field target shooting, those small differences mostly get annihilated by wind.

The Weihrauch/Beeman (German) and Air Arms (English), are solid, top quality rifles, heirloom quality and they make self-contained spring piston guns.

There are more PCPs out there and they're spendy as are the tanks.  You can get larger caliber rifles adequate for hog hunting and medium game, but 75-100 yards is an outer limit for most of it.  Other PCP brands to look at are Daystate and FX.  Air Force Airguns out of Fort Worth  make some black rifle airguns that are mostly hunting rigs and are also joint ventured with Rapid Air Weapons out of Tennessee that makes ultra-premium hunting, field target, and benchrest rigs.

And, as always, you can't skimp on optics.  Even moreso with an airgun because the holdovers from 10 to 50 yards vary wildly.  -2 mil to 0 to -2 again.  And spring piston rifles, with reverse recoil destroy scopes that aren't built for it.

A400 Beretta. Nice but not too nice to use. Extremely popular platform you can do things with if you want to expand past field work.  Several different size/color/wood options.  Not too expensive.  

It looks like Beretta doesn’t make a pump (I know the 1100 is a semi auto). I can get a Wingmaster for about $700. Are they really that bad?

It looks like Beretta doesn’t make a pump (I know the 1100 is a semi auto). I can get a Wingmaster for about $700. Are they really that bad?

I shot a wingmaster most of my life; I inherited one from 1967, bought another in 1995 or so. I shoot an A300 now, but that’s because I wanted to shift to an auto. I’m still happy with my 870s.
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

I don’t know. All my remingtons are 15 to 50 years old or so.  But I’m sure people were complaining about the quality of my youngest one at that time.  Fwiw, my youngest 2 have both been perfectly fine firearms. If you are looking for a pump, I’d have to do a bit more digging on current stuff; I was trying to replicate a current 1100.   You can always jump on gunbroker or similar and look around at all kinds of stuff. I personally, wouldn’t be worried about an R product.  

• Like 1

I think one of the big complaints is that the finish is not very good and they rust easily. I have a circa 2006 870 supermag that has some rusty spots of the barrel and reciever, but otherwise has been fine. It's definitely not as smooth as my grandfathers old Model 12. I'm not much of a bird hunter, though.

On 1/17/2021 at 12:25 PM, Buzzrock said:

if there is something wrong with an older Rem 1100 then I don't want to be right

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 1/17/2021 at 10:39 PM, Buzzrock said:

You didn't specify pump so I recommended Semi-autos.  If you want a pump look at vintage Wingmaster or the Benelli Nova

If you are left handed look into the Browning BPS.  It ejects down.

Edited by TexasEd

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

It’s a 20 gauge. But it’s a great little gun.

Outside of ducks and geese (which rarely happens any more), I never hunted with a .12g.  For dove/quail a .20g is damn near perfect for my tastes.  You want to get a little froggy, use a full choke exclusively.